Favorite Game Company???

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Philotomy Jurament
Ulthal

Post by Philotomy Jurament »

Joe wrote:
I myself cannot get past Paizo's art to see anything else. My own shortcoming...I know.The massive phallic swords and the anime looking characters I am sure are popular...just not for me.

Give me the classic b&w interiors and the sexist Vall/Frazetta barbarian defending the bombshell maiden any day over androgeny!

You're not alone, man.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I much prefer b/w art myself, but on the whole the art Paizo does is pretty darn good, if often a bit too anime and colorful

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Treebore please try and cooperate here.
I do not make mention of Paizo looking for you to simply agree with me. I want you riled and arguing with me to make it interesting.
Yawn...oh well

Mortality of Green still kicks ANY adventure "thread" baby!

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Joe wrote:
Treebore please try and cooperate here.
I do not make mention of Paizo looking for you to simply agree with me. I want you riled and arguing with me to make it interesting.
Yawn...oh well

Mortality of Green still kicks ANY adventure "thread" baby!

I learned many years ago there is very little worth fighting over. People believe what they believe, think what they think, and behave the way they behave, and only they can change it.

All I can do is avoid the people I want to avoid and not fight with the ones I can't.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

To quote Mr. Miyagi;

"Fighting never good. Someone always get hurt."

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

When it comes to art... I hate it. Games do not need it.

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

Re: Art, my opinion... Art grabs my attention. Good cartography, dynamic color cover illos, good quality interior art... those are the things are what make me flip through the book and say, "This might be a possibility." Rules, layout and story keep my attention, though. They turn the possibility into a definite yea or nay.

I generally take a comic-book approach to the stuff I really like. If it has beautiful artwork but turgid writing or inconsistencies in the rules I can't wrap my brain around, it's not worth my money. Nuff said. Mostly the bigger names make this error, not the smaller ones. Big companies get on schedules and deadlines and forget that if you package dog poo in gilt gift wrap, it's still dog poo.

OTOH, if it's a great written work and the art is crap, it might be aight, but I still won't go out of my way for it. A couple of the 3PP Pathfinder items I've picked up do this... I know there's a great book of equipment whose name I forget right offhand. I love the equipment and writeups they've done-- it's all very imaginative-- but the interior art is downright hideous at places, and it really makes what could have been a great product a step above meh. There are good artists available for cheap, commercial-free stock art in droves and a metric buttload of fledglings or wannabes who are willing to put their best work out on the cheap for interior illos. How hard is it to show your product's worth it?

Now, on the occasions that it's got both good writing and good art, I will most often be both a follower and a fan. It shows to me that the publisher isn't willing to settle for half-measures in their products. I don't like buying, reading or doing without something that paycheck for a half-measure.

Just my opinion. That's what makes a company's products worthwhile to me when I haven't yet met them personally.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

serleran wrote:
When it comes to art... I hate it. Games do not need it.

By the recent thread about relaunching Starseige, you seem to be in the minority.
I certainly don't mind art in rpg's. The serve other purposes like breaking up walls of text and helping in locating information in books easier. To me, it is about balance. The current crop of TLG products are pretty good at art/word balance, but if you need an example of art/word balance gone horribly wrong, just pick up a copy of Judge Dredd (Traveller Rules edition) by Mongoose.

Lucifer_Draconus
Hlobane Orc

Post by Lucifer_Draconus »

Ironcrown Enterprises followed by TLG, Palladium Books & Paizo.

RIP Gary Gygax you will be missed.

Lucifer_Draconus
Hlobane Orc

Post by Lucifer_Draconus »

Joe wrote:
I myself cannot get past Paizo's art to see anything else. My own shortcoming...I know. But when you not only have a black paladin in your core rulebook but a female black paladin I cannot help but wonder what sort of PC approach or statement is being made at the expense of MY time and money. I saw a Dark Heresy cover that looked exactly like it, only they had oversized guns instead of swords. Could be same artist for all I know. The massive phallic swords and the anime looking characters I am sure are popular...just not for me.

Give me the classic b&w interiors and the sexist Vall/Frazetta barbarian defending the bombshell maiden any day over androgeny!

Just a rant...sorry, we've gone here before.

Gah! I like Paizo's art. One of the reasons I like their product , I especially like Wayne Reynolds work. BTW their art is not overly anime influenced , it just has a more stylized comicbook influence to it. Since I'm a BIG fan of Anime/Manga & comicbooks their art doesn't bother me. That said I do love the classic art of Frazetta et all , plus the stuff of Liam Sharp & Simon Bisley.

On the subject of the Dark Heresy art they are digital art by a seperate artist that does frequent cover art for GW/BL's WH 40k novel line. I love that art too.

RIP Gary Gygax you will be missed.

concobar
Ulthal

Re: Favorite Game Company???

Post by concobar »

Joe wrote:
Whats your favorite game company?

Whats your favorite 3rd party publisher?

Why?

My favorite game company is probably TSR/WotC based on a quick glance at my book shelves. I own many many box sets from the B/X and BECMI and multiples of each of the 1st edition AD&D books. I have close to twenty 4E hardback books and many adventures. I have a half a row of various retro clone or derived works products including LL, DD, MF, S&W, OSRIC, and C&C.

Without WotC there would be no C&C or any of the rest i mentioned.

Goodman games is my favorite third party publisher. I like their old school dungeons.

Plaag
Red Cap

Post by Plaag »

Judges Guild

Privateer Press

The first for their creativity and wonderful world setting (like the sandbox style)

The later for their great writing/background and art.

ShaneG.

bloodymage
Hlobane Orc

Post by bloodymage »

Quote:
Can we leave it at some "companies remember it is their customers who make them successful and value them more" ?

You are by far more active and play more games than the vast number of folks I refer to with the label "Hardcore gamer". I believe this makes you an exception amongst the exceptional. Wink

TLG is great as are many others mentioned, but no one's mention Kenzer & Company. They rely on customer input and submissions like no other. Hardcore? That's where my sig comes from. Now I'm not real fond of Dave Kenzer, he cops a serious attitude (corporate lawyer, go figure), but Jolly is great. Their products are usually phenomenal, though as with any publisher there are sometimes gripes about editing. I only go on here about them because they've not been mentioned and deserve it. Four stellar products include Kingdoms of Kalamar, HackMaster, Aces & Eights and Knights of the Dinner Table, but they have several other fun offerings.