What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?

Post by AGNKim »

kreider204 wrote:My shiny new copy of Classic Monsters, hot off the shelf from my FLGS. :)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperboria, by North Wind Adventures. This box set is amazing. This is how small press companies get noticed. They put out a quality product that are better than most big name outfits. If you can, and you like weird 1E style gaming (without the terrible rules), check out AS&SH. It's one of the best small press products I have ever seen.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Omote wrote:Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperboria, by North Wind Adventures. This box set is amazing. This is how small press companies get noticed. They put out a quality product that are better than most big name outfits. If you can, and you like weird 1E style gaming (without the terrible rules), check out AS&SH. It's one of the best small press products I have ever seen.

~O
Since backer copies are only now going out, it might be a bit before we regulars can get our hands on it.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I need another copy. I'm waiting for the regular batch as well. I sure hope they release a Player's Manual on its own. I'd pick up a couple for the whole table if that was available. :D

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

White Dwarf #1 - 65.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Everything OD&D or clones thereof, most recently S&W Complete, anticipating my Delving Deeper boxed set but turning to alternatives.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

New T&T solos.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Well, I had a big post where I did a review of Sabres & Witchery which I read last night - but I somehow managed to delete everything right before I posted. Omote mentioned it up thread and I downloaded the free PDF. Anyway, it's Swords & Wizardry set in a Solomon Kane type world, worth checking out so here is the link again.

http://beyondbeliefgames.webs.com/Sabre ... y%20v1.pdf

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

TheMetal1 wrote:Well, I had a big post where I did a review of Sabres & Witchery which I read last night - but I somehow managed to delete everything right before I posted. Omote mentioned it up thread and I downloaded the free PDF. Anyway, it's Swords & Wizardry set in a Solomon Kane type world, worth checking out so here is the link again.

http://beyondbeliefgames.webs.com/Sabre ... y%20v1.pdf
Very cool - thanks! It's nice to have a Solomon Kane (ish) alternative to Savage Worlds, for comparison at the very least.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

kreider204 wrote:Very cool - thanks! It's nice to have a Solomon Kane (ish) alternative to Savage Worlds, for comparison at the very least.
It does a pretty good job of capturing the feel of the genre. Though nowhere near as detailed as the Savage World of Solomon Kane. Pinnacle did a great job with that and here's hoping that more will come out for it.

On another note, I'll be re-reading Hackmaster Basic in PDF on my Nook since it is now free. hoody hoo!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Omote wrote:Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperboria, by North Wind Adventures. This box set is amazing. This is how small press companies get noticed. They put out a quality product that are better than most big name outfits. If you can, and you like weird 1E style gaming (without the terrible rules), check out AS&SH. It's one of the best small press products I have ever seen.

~O
Just downloaded the PDF... this is pretty awesome. Very inspiring.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Dungeon of the Bear for Tunnels & Trolls. Started that adventure a while back - as the first level (castle) came with T&T box set, but never picked up full adventure until a couple of days ago on RPGNow. I actually started using Castles of the Mad Arch Mage, but might retcon the adventure as the conversion on the fly was a bit troublesome between D&D and T&T. Having everything already set-up will be helpful.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

redwullf wrote:

~O
Since backer copies are only now going out, it might be a bit before we regulars can get our hands on it.
I got the PDF from RPGNOW and holy SMOKES that is a cool game. :)

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I pulled down a stack of Judges' Guild material and started flipping through it. I have gone through:

Trial By Fire, Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor, Book of Ruins, Treasury of Archaic Names, Tower of Ulission, and Ready Ref Sheets.

I hope to use the maps, mostly. Well, that and some tidbits here and there.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

redwullf wrote:
redwullf wrote:

~O
I got the PDF from RPGNOW and holy SMOKES that is a cool game. :)
You know it bro. And, if I can help it, I'm lobbying hard for seperate print copies of the Player's Book. AS&SH is now how I AD&D.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

My shiny new, full color, PHB.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

DangerDwarf wrote:My shiny new, full color, PHB.

Werd. I just picked up a copy of this and Amazing Adventures. Have been thumbing through the new PHB (man, it's nice!) and look forward to checking out AA this weekend as well.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Just got my Kickstarter bundle... so, reading the new PHB... loving the color and the layout... and the extras were great (best of all was the second copy). Great book... great company!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Read through the adventure "Final Sanction" for FFG's Deathwatch RPG. Have the game, but have yet to run and had the adventure sitting on my Nook for some time and finally read through it. Very combat oriented, but hey that's 40k.

Oh yeah...Getting ready to download the Umbrage Saga, Castle Keepers Guide and C&C:Fields of Battle. Hoody hoo! Thank God for Troll Lord Games sales !

magick3six
Ungern

Post by magick3six »

War of the Dead for Savage Worlds. It's the Zombie Apocalypse! After the face munching in Miami, I figured it was a good time. Yeah.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Three books arrived today and I quickly glanced through them, finding some interesting stuff I rarely see in anything else, like "the simple pleasures of trolls -- jokes about dwarfs" or diagrams explaining the hierarchy of Hell (well, not quite called that, but that's not the point.) I'll give them a more in-depth reading later:

The Magnamund Companion: The complete guide to the world of Lone Wolf and Grey Star

Out Of The Pit: 250 Monsters from the Wild and Dangerous Worlds of Fighting Fantasy

Titan: The Fighting Fantasy World

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The Magnamund Companion is totally awesome. I still have mine from 20+ years ago.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Delving Deeper RPG!

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

N1: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

+1 on Delving Deeper. Gave a read through of Volumes I & II and just got Volume III in so that's next up. That along with continue to digitally linger on the Castle Keepers Guide on my Nook!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I'm reading two Lulu compilations of "Fight On!", and they are probably the best things I have bought in a long time. Filled to the brim with random stuff to throw into my games.

It got me thinking, too. I have so much stuff that I don't use because it's for this system or that, and I have some obsessive need to keep them all separate. I also shy away from using other peoples material unless I am running a published module or something.

I think from now on I am going to use every single thing I've bought all of the damn time. And the only time I should worry about borrowing or stealing is if I am actually writing something for publication, and I need to lose any idea that my home campaign is something I'll write up later for publishing.

I know it seems obvious to actually use the stuff you buy, but it's sort of an a-ha moment for me.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Omote wrote:The Magnamund Companion is totally awesome. I still have mine from 20+ years ago.

~O
Indeed. I loved the Lone Wolf game book novels immensely and at the time the Companion was an indispensable resource. Sadly, I wore mine out and never replaced it. :cry: There's some way to port some of the books into a Nintendo DS, but I haven't looked at those options (talking about the game books, that is).

Lately, I've been spot-reading the 5th printing C&C book when I'm not reading various Star Wars Saga Edition books (namely, the KOTOR supplement as I'm a player in a game of that era currently). I also came across the Thunder Rift accessory from BD&D and that's next on my list. Seems like it'll be a good read.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

As some may know from reading a recent post, I am going through all my collection to decide what to keep and what to not keep, and in that process I came across my copy of CH-2: Seren Ironhand. So, I decided to read it.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Making my way through The One Ring. This is a very well-put together game! Still working through the Adventurer's guide.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

CKDad wrote:Making my way through The One Ring. This is a very well-put together game! Still working through the Adventurer's guide.
Yes sir, it's very good stuff.

Thunder Rift was interesting, being what it was. I've pulled Mongoose Traveller off the shelf and I'm going to give that a look.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.