What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
SmokestackJones
Hlobane Orc

Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?

Post by SmokestackJones »

Buttmonkey wrote:
SmokestackJones wrote:Still laid up from a leg injury so I'm spending time prepping for my regular Bluffside game when it resumes. I have a good idea for the Temple of Valhalla and Theater on The Bluff so (not having a copy of Codex Nordica) I'm reading through my copy of the 1E Deities and Demigods, plus the Bluffside book and my flipbook.

-SJ
On a side note: You have possibly the most disturbing avatar I've ever seen on an OSR message board. Impressive.
Thanks. That's from a show I closed last month. Never thought of it as disturbing until now...

-SJ

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Just started reading the A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms novel that was released for A Song of Ice & Fire series. The stories in this book were released separately over the past 15 years by George R.R. Martin as one-off stories taking place about 100 years before the main series. I never read them, but will now as a companion to the TV show (since we have to wait another 6 months for that!).

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

1. So still reading Rise of Tiamat, the "intro" which gives a long overview about how all the various factions will respond to the PCs was a bit tedious. Necessary I suppose with an overarching plot, but was hard to slog through. The actual encounters are good.

Had a couple of things that came in the mail I started to look at....

2. Paizo's Pathfinder Occult Adventures. Read a bit of it, the Kineticist is rather interesting and keep thinking "The Last Airbender" more to read, obviously, with the other 5 classes. Was a bit hesitant on getting this one. I'm thinking you can do an "Occult" themed campaign with existing characters so I was surprised at the direction they went and my curiosity on how the did it. This makes more interested in checking out the 3rd party Ultimate Psionics (Dreamscarred Press). So far everything is pretty interesting. Still playing C&C and no intention of quitting that, but I like Paizo's stuff.

3. Paizo's Pathfiner Inner Sea Races. I like the Inner Sea Campaign guide and so far the ISR is pretty good. I'm enjoying reading the fluff.

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Reading The Tomb of Rakoss the Undying by Mischief Inc. Found it on RPGNow while looking for a filler adventure to get the kids to gain level or so before The Tomb of the Lizard King is up.

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Post by Michael Montalto »

The Codex of Aihrde. I'm starting with taking notes on the Gods as it was a massive piece missing in my campaign.

-mM

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

SmokestackJones
Hlobane Orc

Got a Ghostbusters game coming up this weekend so I'm going over the rules and adventure.

-SJ

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

SmokestackJones wrote:Got a Ghostbusters game coming up this weekend so I'm going over the rules and adventure.

-SJ
Go over the rules. You need all of 10 minutes. Love that game.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

SmokestackJones
Hlobane Orc

Omote wrote:
SmokestackJones wrote:Got a Ghostbusters game coming up this weekend so I'm going over the rules and adventure.

-SJ
Go over the rules. You need all of 10 minutes. Love that game.

~O
Yeah, you'd think I had it memorized by now.

-SJ

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Still plugging away at Pathfinder Inner Sea Races and Occult Adventures, I have the Strategy Guide nearby as well.

The Rise of Tiamat is something I'm that I'm still reading thru and easily within reach is the CAV: Strike Operations Rulebook and BattleTech: Alpha Strike.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Just got home today after 3 weeks on the road, going to Con on the Cob, etc... While I was gone two Savage Worlds products arrived, the new "The Sixth Gun" RPG with Companion book, and screen, as well as my physical copy of "The Last Parsec". My Dungeon Saga board game finally arrived as well, but I have yet to unbox it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm supposed to be reading through the DCC RPG rulebook for my new campaign, but instead I have been reading through the Cypher System Rulebook.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Buttmonkey wrote:I'm supposed to be reading through the DCC RPG rulebook for my new campaign, but instead I have been reading through the Cypher System Rulebook.
I picked up DCC a few years ago and still haven't read through it either. However, I have spent time flipping through the pages looking at all the beautiful illustrations.

Currently I am reading the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DCC does a lot interesting things, but I find I don't like how it plays. Mostly I do not like all the random rolls for combat, spell casting, etc...
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

pawndream
Red Cap

Post by pawndream »

Treebore wrote:DCC does a lot interesting things, but I find I don't like how it plays. Mostly I do not like all the random rolls for combat, spell casting, etc...
Same here. The spell section looks cool, but way too many sub-rules for my tastes. I like simplicity. DCC is simple on the surface, but then has a rather complicated critical, fumble, and spell system tacked on. It's neat, but just not how I like to play.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I've been loosely scanning the DL 1-16 and decided to read the 3.x War of the Lance book. I'm probably going to do another DL campaign at some point in the future when my KoK game wraps.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

WFRP 1e and 2e
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Classic works. I have a lot of reservations with the boardgame integration of 3e.
Ancalagon wrote:WFRP 1e and 2e

SmokestackJones
Hlobane Orc

No Deluxe Tunnels and Trolls yet so I'm jumping back to C&C/Bluffside to see if I can flesh out Sem La Vah for my (on hiatus) campaign.

-SJ

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

If I want to play a boardgame, I'll reach for Pandemic. ;)
Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:Classic works. I have a lot of reservations with the boardgame integration of 3e.
Ancalagon wrote:WFRP 1e and 2e
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Today's gaming stuff: AD&D Monster Manual, MM2, and Fiend Folio. Searching for a few possible critters to unleash in the next game session.
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Reading up on UK2, The Sentinel. Its next up for the group.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maximus wrote:Reading up on UK1, The Sentinel. Its next up for the group.
The Gauntlet and Sentinel are among my all time favorites..

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Treebore wrote:
I don't remember these coming out in the 80's. I was looking for an inbetween adventure to get my group to level up to 5th or so, and this one looked perfect. Since my version of the Keep is in the Southwest area of the Yeomanry anyway, the area fits great. I'll let you know how it goes!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maximus wrote:
Treebore wrote:
I don't remember these coming out in the 80's. I was looking for an inbetween adventure to get my group to level up to 5th or so, and this one looked perfect. Since my version of the Keep is in the Southwest area of the Yeomanry anyway, the area fits great. I'll let you know how it goes!
The Keep always ends up becoming owned by someone in the party, if not the whole party. Assuming they survive the army! Plus about a half dozen or so monsters made their premiere in these two modules. All of which I believe are in the 1E Fiend Folio. :twisted:

cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

I've got a large stack of neglected game books to work through. Now that I have the Codex that's on the top of my stack but what I've been reading lately:

Fantasy Age-fun little system. A little wonky but easily hackable. Should have had more spells in the main book.
Age of Rebellion-same system as Edge of the Empire but has some interesting differences.
Dungeon World and Monster of the Week-both fun but MotW scratches my modern monsters itch. The system took a little getting used to, it's very "story forward" , but the book is a nice read.
Hero System 6th Edition-it's Hero system. I would love to run a full campaign with it but it still reads like stereo instructions. Fantasy Hero Complete cuts down the page count but doesn't provide adequate examples of power builds or spells.
Iron Kingdoms Unleashed Adventure Kit-great minis and tiles in the box but the system is wonky.
Dark Conspiracy-jumped in the way back machine for this one. I still like this game but the system is dated.

There's more but those have taken up the majority of my game reading.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

A couple Shadowrun modules:

A Fistful of Credsticks and Anarchy: Subsidized.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Mastering the RPG Eclipse Phase, after roughly a 5 year hiatus from playing, and this time I am the GM... fortunately I was smart enough to limit everything to just the core book.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Chaos Earth: Resurrection.
Zombies, Rifts-lite style. Chuck Walton's artwork continues to dominate the RPG market and Palladium Books of all people has him! Crazy. Pretty good material. It shall find use in an upcoming RIFTS campaign for sure.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Treebore wrote:
maximus wrote:
Treebore wrote:
The Keep always ends up becoming owned by someone in the party, if not the whole party. Assuming they survive the army! Plus about a half dozen or so monsters made their premiere in these two modules. All of which I believe are in the 1E Fiend Folio. :twisted:
Should finish the Sentinel this weekend, so I'm reading up on the Gauntlet. The keep looks like a tough fight.