What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?

Post by Treebore »

The new Gangbusters and other RPG stuff I picked up at Gary con.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Ooo. How's the new Gangbusters?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

slimykuotoan wrote:Ooo. How's the new Gangbusters?

I'm liking it. It seems like a pretty simple system, it exudes the right "feel", and I like that they used actual pictures of real people from the time frame,
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I just finished reading 5th edition Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. My long time gaming group is talking about retiring our high level PCs (started with 2nd edition and moved them into 3rd edition). We are discussing switching from 3e to a more streamlined system adn the 2 that we are considering are C&C and 5th edition. So, I've also been looking over the 5th edition stuff as well.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

Just picked up X1 Isle of Dread. Just had to add it to my collection.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Dark Albion: The Rose War. Exceptional OSR setting book of 15th century England, but mix that up with dark sorceries, fairies, demons, and the like. The 270 or so pages are mostly free from game data, so it can be used with C&C. Again, exceptional.
http://www.lulu.com/shop/dominique-crou ... 49379.html

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

AD&D PHB & DMG
L1: The Secret of Bone Hill
U1: The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
The Free City of Eskadia/Jack of Lies (C&C)
Thieves Guild series from Gamelords (recently purchased from eBay via birthday & Christmas monies)
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Still poking around in the D&D 5e books, as well as the Mongoose Traveller books and the CKG.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Looking through "The Lost Lands-Border Provinces", "The Lost Lands-Adventures in the Borderland Provinces", "Rappan Athuk: Expansion Volume 1" and enjoying the Judges Guild Dark Tower reprint by Goodman Games. As well as reading through my Mongoose Traveller materials for the game I am running.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I picked up the Paranoia Bundle of Holding and am starting to poke around. Sadly, the scan quality is pretty awful overall. Very disappointing. I thought I was getting a great deal at the price, but got kind of screwed instead.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Still the Codex of Aihrde; there's sooo much good material there.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the attributes the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Ultimate Grimtooth and the new 5E version of I6 Ravenloft. After that I will likely read through the GMG for Hackmaster.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Some Greyhawk setting information regarding the Gran March, Hochoch, Orlane, and the Cult of the Reptile God -- getting ready for my convention game next month.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Buttmonkey wrote:I picked up the Paranoia Bundle of Holding and am starting to poke around. Sadly, the scan quality is pretty awful overall. Very disappointing. I thought I was getting a great deal at the price, but got kind of screwed instead.
I may have "spoken" too soon. I've been viewing the PDFs on a tablet. The PDFs' resolution gets much better when I zoom in.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I got reminded today that I have the new Savage Worlds Weird War I War Masters and Players Guide books (in PDF, they haven't been printed yet), so I will be reading through those when I can. The maps, as usual for SW, are really nice!

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Omote wrote:Some Greyhawk setting information regarding the Gran March, Hochoch, Orlane, and the Cult of the Reptile God -- getting ready for my convention game next month.

~O
Cool! I'm running the next chapter of my Lendore Isle campaign Saturday. We'll finish part 1 of U1 (Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, but ported to just outside Restenford of L1), then let the PCs decide if they want to do the first part of L1 (Rats) or go north to N1 (Cult of the Reptile God).
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

A little Achtung! Cthulhu. So-so.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

The Serenity RPG.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The Players Guide to Aihrde. I started out just reading the "racial classes", then I started compiling editing errors. :lol:

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Treebore wrote:The Players Guide to Aihrde. I started out just reading the "racial classes", then I started compiling editing errors. :lol:
Please Treebore, send them in quickly to productsupport@trolllord.com so that they can get into the final printed edition!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I've got a couple One Ring RPG books at my bedside, currently: the Core Rulebook and Heart of the Wild. I've been a fan quite a while, and have read bits and pieces before, but I'm really digging into the game a bit more these days.

Also have the 5e Player's Handbook there to glance through.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

RunningLaser
Mist Elf

Post by RunningLaser »

Just got in the modules I ordered from TL's .99 sale. I'm no DM by a longshot, but going to be a CK for a little bit and run my friends through Dark Journey.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Ravenloft . .

A Guide to Transylvania ~

a Masque of the Red Death accessory!

8-)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

"All Animals Are Equal" for Gamma World.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

BRW Games - The Golden Scroll of Justice

What Oriental Adventures did to bring fantasy Japanese themed adventure to AD&D, this does to bring fantasy Chinese Wuxia adventure to Adventures Dark and Deep.

It's very good quality as is everything related to Adventures Dark and Deep. I found myself wishing for more long-winded spell names but that's a minor thing I can add myself. It brings the Monkey Man and Dog Man races, suggestions for playing the existing races and classes, and introduces the Wu, the Fangshi, and a kung fu Monk class.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Dungeon World -- Fascinating read. There's a lot there to think about and potentially assimilate into any RPG campaign. I don't know that any of the GMing concepts are exactly new in and of themselves, but the presentation and codification are pretty groundbreaking (I think; I'm not the best read person in terms of RPG rules sets).

lobocastle
Red Cap

Post by lobocastle »

Aergraith,

Thanks for the information, I also am on the lookout for Asian RPG settings.

JLL

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Re-reading Dragon #100 (as mentioned in the other thread - Gord the Rogue short story), but I really enjoyed several articles.

The one by Frank Mentzer talking about dual classing druid/ranger and triple classing same w/magic user.

Dragonchess is fantastic.

And the article by Doug Niles writing about Battlesystem. Some of youse know imma huge fan of Fields of Battle and have run giant tabletop games using hundreds of miniatures ~ small, medium, large, huge and colossal!

And, as most of you know - some of the old ads for games and such are very cool and funny.

Incidentally, if you have this issue you also know that there is a large Saga of Old City/Greyhawk adventures poster that is the one on the book by Clyde Caldwell.

I haven't torn it out - thinking to perhaps re-sell it someday (actually very soon along with Castle Zagyg Upper Works and other stuff) to help me pay my daughter's tuition.

:)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

7th edition Call of Cthulhu. My kickstarter arrived a few weeks back. Finished the Keeper's book and the Investigator book, now reading the new Nameless Horrors adventure book. I've never played CoC, and this all looks like mighty impressive.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

dachda wrote:7th edition Call of Cthulhu. My kickstarter arrived a few weeks back. Finished the Keeper's book and the Investigator book, now reading the new Nameless Horrors adventure book. I've never played CoC, and this all looks like mighty impressive.
Sound cool!

Any links to info on this?

Tanks! :)