What gaming stuff are you reading?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Re: What gaming stuff are you reading?

Post by Buttmonkey »

Rereading Fate Accelerated Edition. It's making more sense this time through, maybe because of my experience with Dungeon World. I've tried Fate before with bad results, but I LOVE my Fate dice and want an excuse to use them.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Looking at:
WOIN -- "What's O.L.D. is N.E.W" which is a d6 pool system sold as O.L.D. (Fantasy RPG), N.O.W. (Modern), and N.E.W. (Space Opera)
Conan -- Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of (barbarians don't care where you put your prepositions, but might have rude suggestions)
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Labyrinth Lord
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

GatewayTodd
Mist Elf

Post by GatewayTodd »

I just received my Judge's Guild Collection yesterday. It's MASSIVE! If you have any plans on running any of these adventures, I would definitely suggest the smaller reprints. This book is very nice as a collector's item, but almost completely unusable at the gaming table.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Probably the maps benefit from the size though.

GatewayTodd
Mist Elf

Post by GatewayTodd »

The maps do look spectacular!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Gringnr wrote:Labyrinth Lord
Have you looked at Mutant Future?

Dan is a cool guy who I gamed with.

I need to take another look at this.

8-)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Rhuvein wrote:
Gringnr wrote:Labyrinth Lord
Have you looked at Mutant Future?

Dan is a cool guy who I gamed with.

I need to take another look at this.

8-)
Yes I have looked at it, mixing Gamma World (or Met Alpha) with D&D is one of the things on my bucket list. I have never played such a game, and LL/MF seems like a sweet way to do just that. Plus a mix of LL Basic and Advanced is VERY much like the D&D we used to play back in the day...

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Mutant Future is very worth looking at. I was pleasantly surprised with how nicely put together it is.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Treebore wrote:Mutant Future is very worth looking at. I was pleasantly surprised with how nicely put together it is.
Same, I wish there was more material for it...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Re-reading The Lost City of Gaxmoor - since I'll be using part of it in my current online game.

Fantastic gaming material - some of the best I've seen since the beginning!!

:)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Astonishing Sorcerers and Swordsmen of Hyperborea
Crypts and Things

Seeing whether I want to just incorporate them into my game or just adopt the whole setting. The AS&SH kickstarter book should arrive in August, but until then I have the boxed set.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Labyrinth Lord is 95% similar to B/X D&D. If you played B/X, you already pretty much know LL. I think the XP ranges are a little different.
The rules work just fine for Gamma World type games too as Mutant Future. Beware of spidergoats.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Aergraith wrote:Astonishing Sorcerers and Swordsmen of Hyperborea
Crypts and Things

Seeing whether I want to just incorporate them into my game or just adopt the whole setting. The AS&SH kickstarter book should arrive in August, but until then I have the boxed set.
Oh - how is the boxed set?

I have a short module from Jeff called Charnel Crypt of the Sightless Serpent. I really wanted to like it, since I like Jeff.

But it was bland, dry, boring and . . really bad (sorry Jeff). After reading it, I was so turned off that I never looked at any other stuff from the AS&SoH game.

Mebbe because it was written in haste for GaryCON?

[Some of the great artwork from Ian is very dark/washed out - like the C&C 5th print color PH. That usually is a bad thing for first impressions].

Anyway, as always ~ my thinking is, that a good CK can take any setting/module/campaign world and make it great despite what the original author might put forth in print.

Rhu, (hoping that Jeff's boxed set is really good)

:P

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I think it's great. Ian Baggley's art is probably my favorite in the hobby. It's dark by its nature: sketched in black and white with lots of shadows, but if it's too dark in your printing to appreciate the lines that's no good.
I like the spiral bound books and their brown covers, and the fonts throughout are evocative of the AD&D books. Came with gm guide, player guide, dice, map, character sheets, and 6 nice dice (d10, no percentile).
Just looked at it, printing looks great, paper is nice. Plus Jeff put in a handwritten note of thanks. He has done the same with modules I've bought.

I have the Charnel Crypt but didn't read it in detail. I thought Taken from Dunwich was pretty good though. I probably wouldn't run the adventures.

The kickstarter is for a hardcover, which is more convenient for table use possibly and is a "2E".

You can separate the setting from the game in both cases, but that's annoying to do; then you need to maintain another document.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aergraith wrote:I think it's great. Ian Baggley's art is probably my favorite in the hobby. It's dark by its nature: sketched in black and white with lots of shadows, but if it's too dark in your printing to appreciate the lines that's no good.
I like the spiral bound books and their brown covers, and the fonts throughout are evocative of the AD&D books. Came with gm guide, player guide, dice, map, character sheets, and 6 nice dice (d10, no percentile).
Just looked at it, printing looks great, paper is nice. Plus Jeff put in a handwritten note of thanks. He has done the same with modules I've bought.

I have the Charnel Crypt but didn't read it in detail. I thought Taken from Dunwich was pretty good though. I probably wouldn't run the adventures.

The kickstarter is for a hardcover, which is more convenient for table use possibly and is a "2E".

You can separate the setting from the game in both cases, but that's annoying to do; then you need to maintain another document.
The artwork going into the new hardcover and the layout examples he has shown all looked really good to me. Of course, Jeff does have the option of cherry picking, so we won't know if it looks that good all the way through, but I am confident I will be happy with it. I never did get around to buying a boxed set, which was a big part of the reason why I jumped on the KS for the HC. I had wanted to check it out for several years, and I knew the KS was a "now or never" kind of moment for me.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Adventurer Conqueror King

As I read it more carefully, there's a lot of deliberate design in this. At first I considered it a retroclone with an emphasis on the tiered play that BECMI promised: adventurer to about level 9, establish stronghold/church/guild etc., then eventually rule a domain. It has that, but lots of other stuff too.

Combat: Uses an Attack Throw number you need to exceed, onto which AC (a small number from 0-10) is added, roll 1d20+str or 1d20+dex.
Spells: Cast as many as you have slots for but no prepare/memorize.
Race-as-class. There are some in the base rules and more in the Players Companion and more still if you backed the new Kickstarter for Heroic Fantasy and Barbarian Fantasy.
Skill Proficiencies
A non-medieval/feudal default setting, and many pages on making your own setting. Default setting is more akin to Late Antiquity.
Most numbers for different kinds of checks have predictable outcomes: i.e. the GM doesn't set a difficulty level; similar things always have the same difficulty.
Permanent effects possible when you dip below 0 HP, and also when you are raised.

I backed the Heroic Fantasy/Barbarian add-ons. They change the types of magic and monsters available in the setting and add rules like corruption.
http://www.autarch.co/

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The Discworld book by Steve Jackson Games. Was less expensive than I thought it would be. Maybe I should ask for another.

Kersus
Red Cap

Post by Kersus »

Borderhounds RPG: Apt 11a
Brimstone and Borderhounds: A Cold Day in Hell
Paranoia 5e (core)
Dream Park (core)
The Fiendish Agents of Falkenberg (Dream Park)
Chill Companion (Mayfair)
Paramilitary (Paranoia)
Tales of Gor: Gorean Roleplaying (core)
Out in the Black (Serenity)
They Who Watch (Lejendary Adventure)
Castle Caldwell (B9)
Dungeon2Go (all of them)
The Maze of Nuromen
Numenera: The Spire of the Hunting Sound
Scenic Dunnsmouth (LotFP)
The Best of the Traveller's Aid Society Journal Vol. 2
Join the scorn. Don't hate us as the home of the SCHWA RPG. Hate us because we're Furiously Eclectic. Be wildly multifarious on our dime.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Came back from a quick jaunt to Cleveland where we picked up a few gaming items, most notably Marsh/Cook version of Expert D&D and some Fuzzy Heroes stuff. Then my wife gave me a Deadlands whiskey box -- basically an anniversary edition. The box is huge but the book is normal, so yay!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:Then my wife gave me a Deadlands whiskey box -- basically an anniversary edition. The box is huge but the book is normal, so yay!

Nice!

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Dungeon Crawl Classics is my latest love, and I'm even giving solitaire play a shot with it.
I'm also still quite fond of the Doctor Who RPG, buying and reading the sourcebooks as they come out. At the moment, I'm running a game with it, but hacking it for a Fallout style post-apocalypse setting.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Night Witches, an Apocolypse powered RPG based upon the incredibly amazing super heroic efforts of female Russian pilots during the Russian invasion of WW 2.

Spade Marlowe
Ungern

Post by Spade Marlowe »

Thanks to the Troll's latest flash sale, I'm reading the Darkenfold expansion, and modules C1-C3. I'm also considering adding more of an Asian setting to my game, so I'm looking over the 1e Oriental Adventures for some inspiration.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

After I helped my wife obtain a super-rare Munchkin card (specifically Heart of the Anomaly, signed by Wil Wheaton), she gave me more Deadlands stuff... a bunch of dime novels and Rail Wars material.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Guardians, a superhero RPG using the mechanics from Justifiers, and written by the same people. Good game, not so good PDF. A bit muddy with a few upside down pages(?!?!). Serviceable though. Not to be confused with the free OSR supers game of the same name.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Beyond the Wall & Other Adventures RPG
Beyond the Wall & Other Adventures: Further Afield
Beyond the Wall & Other Adventures: Heroes Young and Old

BTW is an OSR style D&D game that puts the emphasis on light mechanics, and "zero-prep" GMing. While there is certainly a number of things the GM is responsible for, zero-prep is a neat idea but all good GMs take time on their games. What GMs do in this game is like all others, but distills the process down to a few key points to focus the energy on, including of course, story-telling.

What really sets this game apart is the life-path style of character generation. The characters are often children set off into the world to save their village, and as the PCs you give these child characters their first adventure which leads them into adulthood, and ultimately heroes or villains. To create your characters you don't really roll attributes or pick your skills and equipment, the life-path like system does that for you creating a detailed background and history which dictates class, attributes, skills, and notable equipment. It's really well done, and quite cool.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

All of my gaming-related reading is centered around chess at the moment. I tend to bounce from hobby obsession to hobby obsession. After 12 years of RPGing, I felt the need to push some wood again. I'm having a hell of a time. I'm sure an RPG time out will be good for me and resolve the burn-out I've been struggling with. I'm still running a C&C PBP and will be at Gary Con next March, so I'm not out of gaming completely.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Boot Knife
Ungern

Post by Boot Knife »

Right at the moment it is The Jack of Lies in The Free City of Eskadia. I'm also reading Primeval Thule for 5th ed D&D and Savage Worlds. I'm eagerly awaiting the Steel Edition of Beasts & Barbarians to hit my inbox.
Resistance is futile.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Reading over the new Conan 2d20 RPG material.

Will also be going over Victorious rules again, since I should be running my game within the next 2 months.