CKG IN CANADA???

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

CKG IN CANADA???

Post by LordSeurek »

Anyone know if this can be preordered anywhere in Canada besides via the Trolls site? Trying to avoid paying an arm and a leg to get it shipped from the US. I need to order it online as this town doesn't have any gaming stores and a plane ride to the nearest one.

Thanks,
L.S.

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Re: CKG IN CANADA???

Post by LordSeurek »

In case anyone is wondering, it would cost $27.35 to ship the book. I can get books on ebay shipped from the states for like 5 buck for shipping. Don't get it???

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Steve is out of town ATM, but hopefully he can help when he gets back
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

I am curious as well.

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Breakdaddy wrote:Steve is out of town ATM, but hopefully he can help when he gets back
Thanks BD.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

No problem man. I wish I could be of some help, but Steve should be back on Tuesday or Wednesday I think.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

stoneshape
Hlobane Orc

Post by stoneshape »

Yes. the CKG to Canada asap.

But what's the deal with Fields Of Battle? No sight of it in my neck of the north.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Rob,

No one is taking pre-orders anywhere but in the TLG shops. The pre-order system through retail shops died years ago. I'm not really sure why, distributors had something to do with it I know. But if you have a store that would like to put in some pre-orders through us we can do that, no problem, shipping passes to the store and with a decent order it evens out pretty good.

I'm glad you pointed out the shipping fee on the CKG to Canada. Basically we offer priority shipping, except orders that go outside the U.S. The shipping rates are fixed that way. Canada of course falls into an interesting crack here as items that aren't too bulky get charged reasonable rates but the bulkier items require the priority boxes, which in my opinion have ludicrous rates (a box that is 10.50 to Alaska is 27.00 to Canada...same roads, same trees, same terrain, same language (well, outside of Quebec)...its just silly. The CKG may be in a hole there. Let me check the shipping rates on that book at the PO, in our padded envelope and see what they come to.

Now one thing we can do, is drop the priority shipping for Canada, drop it to regular international. Price becomes reasonabler (hahaahah) but the chances of the package making it through Canadian customs becomes problematical. It can take up to 8 weeks sometimes.

For all practical purposes you guys are the voice of Canada, let me know what you would like to me to do.

Steve

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Im reasonabler than Steve!!!!
-Genghis Khan

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

What does Paizo use?

I have ordered from them in the past and it has come in a reasonable time at a reasonable price.

Might that be an option?

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

I have recently bought 6 books on ebay. All coming from the US. It seems to me that all shiping costs vary to some degree. That being said, here is the cost I paid for each of my 4 orders (all hard cover books):

2 Hard cover (HC) for USPS First Class Mail International : US $13.94
2 HC for USPS First Class Mail International : US $5.99
1 HC for USPS First Class Mail International : US $8.93
1 HC for USPS First-Class Mail International: US $12.10

I would like to see it sent at the cheapest cost, even if its gonna take 8 weeks. I am only speaking for me and not for any other possible buyers in Canada who want the book asap.

The above costs are coming from individual sellers and not companies, so not sure if that makes any difference or not.

Let me know what you think Steve. Maybe make the slower/cheaper shipping available on the Catalog.

L.S.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Those are fist class rates. Right now we ship priority. My only problem with that is that I get lots of complaints on the delay. But...

The basket system is only set up to perform one type of shipping set up. I know we can expand that. Let me bug Webmaster Brian about that. We could probably add media for folks in the U.S.

Thanks,
Steve

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Troll Lord wrote:Those are fist class rates. Right now we ship priority. My only problem with that is that I get lots of complaints on the delay. But...

The basket system is only set up to perform one type of shipping set up. I know we can expand that. Let me bug Webmaster Brian about that. We could probably add media for folks in the U.S.

Thanks,
Steve

I would be fine with media, it is only noticeably slower than priority or First Class during peak parts of the mailing season. Meaning Christmas. So yes, if your willing to ship to me as media, sign me up. I'm in no hurry, and I'll just tell myself to expect my order some time around Valentines Day, so if it arrives sooner I will be thrilled at how fast your shipping was!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Troll Lord wrote:Those are fist class rates. Right now we ship priority. My only problem with that is that I get lots of complaints on the delay. But...

Thanks,
Steve
Many thanks! I'll keep checking on the site for a different shipping option.

L.S.

Willy Rat
Ungern

Post by Willy Rat »

I hear ya, M'lord. Those postal rates are murder.

I've been mulling over a couple of options.

1. Have it sent to a package service at the border if there's one near you. I'm in Winnipeg and there's a mail drop service offered by a hardware store at the Pembina border crossing. Everything from cars to door knobs. Cost is $5 a parcel and he's only an hour away. Could work for me, I'm down there about 4 times a year anyway.

2. I was checking the Chapters/Indigo site (mainly cuz I have a gift certif. burning a pocket hole) and they show the CKG listed at $29.93 with FREE shipping. It says it is "temporarily unavailable" (probably cuz it ain't been printed YET) and it was added to their catalogue back in Marh 2007. (Optomists!) Still, it might be worth looking into.

Anyway, I just thought I would put in my $.02
Willy Rat from the frozen wastes of central Canada

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Willy Rat wrote:
2. I was checking the Chapters/Indigo site (mainly cuz I have a gift certif. burning a pocket hole) and they show the CKG listed at $29.93 with FREE shipping. It says it is "temporarily unavailable" (probably cuz it ain't been printed YET) and it was added to their catalogue back in Marh 2007. (Optomists!) Still, it might be worth looking into.

Anyway, I just thought I would put in my $.02
I'll check out the Chapters online store. The first option may work for you in Winnipeg. I am in Makkovik, NL my friend. As isolated as you can get.

Thanks for the heads up on Chapters. If/when Steve replies to my PM's. various posts, we may know more on shipping options.

What gets me hot is that if there are no options besides the one on the site for shipping, I could live with that and go without the book. But as Steve told me at least a month ago, he couldn't see why they couldn't add a new shipping option that is cheaper (but slower). If its not a problem, why hasn't it been done...

Anyways, thanks for the heads-up with Chapters.

L.S.

Willy Rat
Ungern

Post by Willy Rat »

Hope the Chapters thing works out for ya.

I tip my frost-bitten hat to you M'Lord. I have a sister who is in Trinity Bay NL and that's only 1/2 way to Gander, comparatively tropical to you.

You win a prize for Makkovik. I've seen my fair share of Northern communities, (Baker Lake, Churchill) and from what I remember EVERYTHING and almost EVERYBODY comes from somewhere else. How does one crusade in a spawling burg of that magnitude?

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Willy Rat wrote:Hope the Chapters thing works out for ya.

I tip my frost-bitten hat to you M'Lord. I have a sister who is in Trinity Bay NL and that's only 1/2 way to Gander, comparatively tropical to you.

You win a prize for Makkovik. I've seen my fair share of Northern communities, (Baker Lake, Churchill) and from what I remember EVERYTHING and almost EVERYBODY comes from somewhere else. How does one crusade in a spawling burg of that magnitude?
Have you been to Trinity? Its not too far where my moms family is from; Kings Cove, Bonavista.

I guess you know a little of Makkovik then. Yes, its impossible to find any kind of game here in this 400 person town. Thankfully I take part in c&c playing with lots of people on these boards for years using SKYPE and maptool.

L.S.

Willy Rat
Ungern

Post by Willy Rat »

Yep. Trinity is stunningly beautiful. Spent two great weeks there about 5 years ago. Didn't get across to King's Cove, but we did a drive up to Bonavista to see the lighthouse and the puffins too. It's lovely country full of wonderful people and I will no doubt go back when time and budget allow.

People at my office somehow think I'm a displaced Newf because of all my t-shirts, NL tartan tie, etc. etc. - but it all because of my sister. She's the biggest NL booster I've seen and she's just a 'come from away' prairie stomper like me. She gets all 'verklemmt' when they play "Ode to Newfoundland", bless her heart. Now she's living in St.John's and having to live down being a 'townie' whenever she goes back to Trinity.

God guard thee, Newfoundland.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

I'm fine with the cheaper shipping and longer wait. I waited 2 months for a rpg from the fine folks at Evil Hat. Plus the crap shoot at Canada customs, (Which dinged me so hard with customs charges that the charges where more than what was purchased and I sent it back... Thanks Steve for helping me out that time!) urgh I hate, hate Canada customs.

I'll keep checking Chapters and Amazon.ca and see if anything shows up. I'd prefer that way if absolutely possible.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Yeah, my wife ordered something small from the States a few weeks ago for her ipod, accessories or something for like 20 bucks. She had to pay another 40 for customs. This was on top of the outrageous shipping fees to start.

Its 2011. Really. Something that is the size of a pack of cards and weighing as much shouldn't cost over 60 bucks to ship. Crooks!

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

I hope you still have your receipt from the post office.

You can dispute the customs charge. I think the instructions are on the receipt. I'm pretty sure. If not go to your post office and tell them you wish to dispute the shipping charges.

I've done it once. I got them to pay me back 3/4 of the shipping charge. Of, course you have to wait a bit to get the cheque. But, it was worth it and satisfying.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Sir Ironside wrote:I hope you still have your receipt from the post office.

You can dispute the customs charge. I think the instructions are on the receipt. I'm pretty sure. If not go to your post office and tell them you wish to dispute the shipping charges.

I've done it once. I got them to pay me back 3/4 of the shipping charge. Of, course you have to wait a bit to get the cheque. But, it was worth it and satisfying.
Hmm. I'll check with my wife on that. Thanks!

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

ARgh! I keep forgetting to look into this. Going through orders tonight. I'll have a gander at these shipping charges again.

Steve

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Troll Lord wrote:ARgh! I keep forgetting to look into this. Going through orders tonight. I'll have a gander at these shipping charges again.

Steve
Thank you.

Egg of Coot
Hlobane Orc

Post by Egg of Coot »

I've put in a number of orders to TLG over the past bit, and I've never found the shipping to be that excessive. Maybe it's because my orders have been fairly large rather than simply one or two books. Waiting an eternity for the local stores to bring in special order gear pretty much necessitates dealing direct. I've considered having packages sent to the border and picking them up there, but it's not worth the gas money or my time.

The Egg

PrimEvil Studios is on Facebook. Click here to become a fan.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

The only thing I'll add to this with regards to Shipping (1st class international) is that depending on where you live in Canada, there won't be much of a different between this and Priority mail. If you live... say in Montreal or Toronto, the difference is typically within a week or so (this is an average I've noticed over the years). However, if you are remote, then start adding the days and even weeks.

Customs is the only thing that may throw a wrench in that when it comes to delays.

This is why I usually wait till I have a large order (and the money for a large order) when I place one with TLG.

:)

M

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

moriarty777 wrote:The only thing I'll add to this with regards to Shipping (1st class international) is that depending on where you live in Canada, there won't be much of a different between this and Priority mail. If you live... say in Montreal or Toronto, the difference is typically within a week or so (this is an average I've noticed over the years). However, if you are remote, then start adding the days and even weeks.

Customs is the only thing that may throw a wrench in that when it comes to delays.

This is why I usually wait till I have a large order (and the money for a large order) when I place one with TLG.

:)

M
I've ordered TONS of HC books from the US and rarely pay more than 10 bucks for shipping. Not sure why the Trolls can't offer the same.

I guess I'll wait for it to hit amazon or chapters.....

treant_on_fire
Red Cap

Post by treant_on_fire »

I've recently spent just as much for the shipping rates as for the game itself (StarSIEGE)

And believe me, I kept going back and forth on the web pages trying to find another shipping rate/priority before giving up and accepting the costs. I kept thinking "There has to be lower price and it will just take longer to get here... There has to..."

So please add this other Canadian voice to the request.

P.S: At the 'Vallet d'Coeur' in Montreal they said StarSIEGE was out of print and they couldn't get it. But TLG had some in stock in their web site so I could buy a copy from there. I'm not sure if anything can be done about it, but couldn't books that TLG still has in stock be sold via the stores even if they're officially out of print? :-/ It would have cost me 50% less! o.O

LordSeurek
Greater Lore Drake

Post by LordSeurek »

Lets hope that Steve hasn't forgotten about this again. 2 weeks ago he suddenly realized he forgot to look into the issue......