View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
We need your help and feedback for this upcoming product 
Ulthal

Post We need your help and feedback for this upcoming product
We are getting very close to releasing an iCharacter sheet for Castles and Crusades. The developers are almost done but wanted to get your opinions, thoughts, etc. about it before making the final product available. Please take a moment and look at these two PDFs and come back here and let them know what you think. They will probably be posting their own questions or thoughts to you here on the forum as well so check back if they haven't when you have looked. Keep in mind that some things might be a certain way because of computer limitations, but they will know better than me as to what can be adjusted. Take a look, they are very cool I think!

http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/UlricA4.pdf

http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/UlricLetter.pdf

Thanks in advance for your comments and ideas.

Tim

Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: We need your help and feedback for this upcoming product
They look pretty snazzy...and seem to cover the range of info. My biggest gripe (and has been with official sheets) is that there is too little room for racial and class abilities if you are one who likes to note a brief description of said ability with it. I like to have all of my information in front of me without needing to flip back to the book alot.

"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:32 pm
Mist Elf

Greetings All Trolls!

To build upon what Tim has posted, Digital Adventures (the company that "originally" brought you C&C for Fantasy Grounds) is currently producing a line of products called "iCharacter Sheets" for various RPG systems. Our first product in this line was for D&D 4E, and since Steve was very excited about this when we showed it to him at Gen Con we've happily put the development of iCharacter Sheet - Castle & Crusades next on our list!

The "iCharacter Sheet" brand begins Digital Adventures plans to create RPG accessories (characters sheets, campaign tools, game planners, trackers, etc) for mobile computers systems — such as the phones and tablets, laptops and desktops. Currently our dev platform is compatible with iPad, native MAC (coming soon), and Windows. The iCharacter Sheet application allows users to enter, store and email character sheets, and the email facility produces web-page (HTML) output so that friends/GMs can view or print the characters without having their own copy of the application. It is also important to note that we're not stopping with version 1.0, and have plans to add functionality to these apps as we develop them. Our first round of iCS products helps us get out in the market, and once we have a few of them done we'll come back and add additional functionality to them.

The PDF files that Tim linked to are actually the HTML formatted output, but the look is identical to the entry on the actual app itself. You'll notice the last page is a spell, which is brought from the spell listing within the app that is presented as a pop-up entry for the user. Each sheet is presented as a TAB with the header portion repeating on each page. By the time this product is ready for sale we should be able to post the C&C product on all three of the above mentioned platforms. We'll post additional screen shots soon.

As we release iCharacter Sheet products we'll also be producing a FREE version that potential buyers can download to test and see if they like it. The FREE version cannot save characters, and the export function is disabled. Our first release of the 4E character sheet (full and FREE versions) is currently for sale for the iPad (Apple App Store) and Windows (RPGNow), and if you like you can play with that free version to see how we're building the application. Per the Trolls-Hate-4E Accord of 2009 you must delete the FREE 4E version later. :)

As Tim stated, we would really like some feedback on the look, layout, and feel of the character sheet itself from the community. You'll notice that we've also included some CKG options, but note that since they came later in the development we've isolated them to one area for the time being with plans to expand later if needed. Also note that some functionality might not be possible at this time, but we plan to make note of every suggestion for future updates and expansions. Myself and my partner/head programmer Stuart will be available on this thread to answer any questions posted.

Huzzah!

Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC
http://www.digitaladventures.net
kmelka@digitaladventures.net
Twitter: #evilbeeker

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:54 pm
Greater Lore Drake

First, is the Fantasy Ground II Monsters and Treasures download fixed now so that it includes monster tokens?

Sorry, that's been bugging me.

Is this just for entering and storing characters, or does it help with generation; e.g. selecting spells, equipment, rolling stats, leveling?

As far as the sheet itself goes, as Go0gleplex said, racial abilities is too small; put a dwarf or gnome in there and see what happens. Class abilities too; even the short summaries in the CK screen would go pretty long. Page numbers for them would be nice, though I sympathize with needing them for multiple printings.

Be sure to put BtH on the front page, in case I pick up another weapon. Failing that, put a structured area to break down the bonuses on weapons.

I appreciate the armor breakdown area. Shields should have a place for # of foes (does anyone use that rule?). I suppose it would spoil the layout to make an equally prominent "Without Shield" AC, but it's a useful thing. The armor breakdown is probably enough.

If you do some generation, please don't fill in languages from the race description; some CKs do a subset based on int, or have their own for the world.

Are "worn" and "belt" in the equipment page freeform fields, or are they used in calculating AC, bonuses, etc? If they are not just freeform and are meaningful, maybe they need their own field in addition to whatever someone might write themselves.

Spell book should have a place for spell level and page number, even if page 7+ exist. What will a cleric get for page 7+ and spellbook? There should be some limit so they don't see every spell in the universe if they don't want to (for print users).

Adventure record should have a date field, real-world or game-world.

The font was blurry for me on page six. Don't know if it's a scaling thing; probably wouldn't do that in real life?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:06 am
Greater Lore Drake

I just looked at the 4e version and see that it is not a generator and everything is hand-entered. 4e has a pretty strict policy about that, I know.

If the C&C version also doesn't have a generator or access to a rules database, is the format for the iCharacter C&C files documented and available to programmers who would like to support it with a generator?

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:19 am
Greater Lore Drake

It certainly is detailed!
For me, i don't like the arty icon stuff in teh stat boxes for HP, AC, and movement. If those were on Layers that could be switched on and off that would be sweet!

Id' like to see the spell levels on teh 2nd page, as for me, I'd probably only use the first two pages of that. I'd switch henchmen and magic items in location.

I like the attribute box. Overall , this is slick, don't get the wrong idea. Someone, madirshman, I assume? has a character sheet out there with Layers that makes it customizable, if you go that route, this would be really cool.

PS I didni't read the thread so as to keep my opinions from getting shaped by others' posts. so i thougth this was a pdf product.
as an imac character sheet, that sounds really cool. I love the idea of spells popping up so yo udon't have to slog thru the dead tree ruel book.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 am
Mist Elf

Aergraith wrote:
First, is the Fantasy Ground II Monsters and Treasures download fixed now so that it includes monster tokens?

Digital Adventures no longer owns Fantasy Grounds products, we sold them to the owner of FG in Dec 2009. Sorry, can't help you there. :)

Quote:
Is this just for entering and storing characters, or does it help with generation; e.g. selecting spells, equipment, rolling stats, leveling?

It is important to note that this is not a character generation application. We do have some C&C data within the app (alignment, races), but there is no database of information behind the scenes to "make" you a C&C character. This application is designed to mimic your P&P character sheet, with added features we'll expand over time.

Quote:
As far as the sheet itself goes, as Go0gleplex said, racial abilities is too small; put a dwarf or gnome in there and see what happens. Class abilities too; even the short summaries in the CK screen would go pretty long. Page numbers for them would be nice, though I sympathize with needing them for multiple printings.

We'll definitely take a look at this one. Thanks!

Quote:
Are "worn" and "belt" in the equipment page freeform fields, or are they used in calculating AC, bonuses, etc? If they are not just freeform and are meaningful, maybe they need their own field in addition to whatever someone might write themselves.

Currently the only area that "adds up" armor class is the line that starts with "10+"; whatever you enter into those fields total up in the AC window to the left.

Quote:
Spell book should have a place for spell level and page number, even if page 7+ exist. What will a cleric get for page 7+ and spellbook? There should be some limit so they don't see every spell in the universe if they don't want to (for print users).

Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. The export is a front-to-back XHMTL formated output that writes to a standard HTML file, which is turn formats to a page. If you don't want to print a page you don't have to, and in turn you don't have to enter the data for every spell you write down (ie. only the ones you would want to export). The only spell text that is going to export is what you have entered. One thought here, I'll look into an option to exclude a spell from a printout, if that is a desirable option.

Quote:
The font was blurry for me on page six. Don't know if it's a scaling thing; probably wouldn't do that in real life?

The fonts used in this projects are standard to MAC and Windows. If they appear blurry it is likely a result of the PDF conversion of the HTML file.

The remainder of the issues are noted! Thank you for the comments!!! :D

Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC

Twitter: @evilbeeker

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:36 am
Mist Elf

Aergraith wrote:
I just looked at the 4e version and see that it is not a generator and everything is hand-entered. 4e has a pretty strict policy about that, I know.
If the C&C version also doesn't have a generator or access to a rules database, is the format for the iCharacter C&C files documented and available to programmers who would like to support it with a generator?

Per my last post, the iCharacter Sheet apps are not character generators ... sorry.

We might include some character selection data, but there is no database behind this product.

Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 am
Mist Elf

Relaxo wrote:
For me, i don't like the arty icon stuff in teh stat boxes for HP, AC, and movement. If those were on Layers that could be switched on and off that would be sweet!

Currently no, sorry.

Quote:
I like the attribute box. Overall , this is slick, don't get the wrong idea. Someone, madirshman, I assume? has a character sheet out there with Layers that makes it customizable, if you go that route, this would be really cool.

When we designed this layout we had every C&C sheet in front of us we could find online, and arranged it as logically as we could. Unfortunately, the areas are not movable or interchangeable at this time.

Regarding PDFs
Currently our EXPORT feature is HTML only. The problem with PDF is actually limited by our conversion to Windows, which does not have native PDF support. Because our base-code is designed to compile into three different OS builds, we had to go with HTML since that was supported by all OS compilers. Converting the output to a PDF was the easiest way to post an example online for us, since we're doing it from our developer-builds of the app. We hope to change this down the road, if possible. I hope that clears it up.

Thanks for the reply Relaxo!

Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC

Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 am
Mist Elf

Do you plan on porting this product line to the Android OS and/or Linux? If so I would definitely be interested.

The Alfred Effect

Follow me on Twitter

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:59 am
Profile WWW
Mist Elf

finerion wrote:
Do you plan on porting this product line to the Android OS and/or Linux? If so I would definitely be interested.

We've talked about this as a possiblilty down the road. At the moment our dev platform does not easily support Android coding, it is something we need to research. Plus we don't own an Android device yet.

As for Linux, I believe certain test-Trolls have tried the Windows version of our 4E app in WINE and it worked -- hence the C&C version should work at well. I'll get tested and confirmed. ;)

Cheers!

Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:52 am
Mist Elf

This will be a great tool! Looking forward to it.

Here are some thoughts I have, some are repeats of what has been mentioned above but I'll leave them in for emphasis:

1. Grapple AC is wrong, it is 12 or 18 (depending if Str. is prime), plus Str bonus, Dex bonus, and BtH.
2. Touch AC is wrong, it is 10 plus Dex bonus (not Str.) and misc.
3. Way more space needed for class and racial abilities. Have them near each other as well.
4. Base-to-hit needed on the front page.
5. Bad, generic looking art around the HP, AC, and Movement.
6. Movement isn't all that important since it varies so little. You could put a "base move" in the encumbrance section on page 2 maybe to free up space on page 1.
7. Add a space for deity/religion.
8. An option to replace the encumbrance box would be nice since so few people use it. Maybe two versions of the sheet if you can't do layers?
9. You can drop the weapon/shield in hand space. This changes too much to be worth tracking on a sheet in my opinion.
10. Experience needed for next level would be nice to have somewhere.
11. Character portrait box on page 4 is too small and should be more portrait than landscape.
12. Not sure what the spell cards at the end are for, but they remind me way too much of 4E power cards, so I think you should drop them. :-)

Thanks for soliciting feedback!

Narl

Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:06 am
Mist Elf

Narl wrote:
1. Grapple AC is wrong, it is 12 or 18 (depending if Str. is prime), plus Str bonus, Dex bonus, and BtH.
2. Touch AC is wrong, it is 10 plus Dex bonus (not Str.) and misc.
7. Add a space for deity/religion.

Noted, and thanks! We'll make these changes.

Quote:
3. Way more space needed for class and racial abilities. Have them near each other as well.

This has been brought up several times. We'll see what we can do. :)

Quote:
4. Base-to-hit needed on the front page.

I'll see if we can't work it into the combat area somehow.

Quote:
6. Movement isn't all that important since it varies so little. You could put a "base move" in the encumbrance section on page 2 maybe to free up space on page 1.

One thing we have to watch out for when doing projects like this is ... everyone runs their game differently, using certain rules more and others less. In my game movement is very important and I would even expand it a bit on any character sheet if I could. I agree that we could possibly make it smaller, but just about every character sheet you look at nowadays has it on page #1. I think this is a judgement call I'll have to converse with TLG staff on.

Quote:
8. An option to replace the encumbrance box would be nice since so few people use it. Maybe two versions of the sheet if you can't do layers?

I'm going to put this one in the same grouping at Movement, TBD. As for layers ... yes and no. We've done a few things with the CKG area, but if we add too much to the app then the load and response time slows on the iOS and MAC platforms. There is also another point to consider, discussed below.

Quote:
9. You can drop the weapon/shield in hand space. This changes too much to be worth tracking on a sheet in my opinion.

This was something I saw on several character sheets. Is it better to have it and not use it, or not have it and want it? This is another one of those judgement calls you have to make since everyone runs their game differently. TBD.

Quote:
10. Experience needed for next level would be nice to have somewhere.

Noted. :)

Quote:
11. Character portrait box on page 4 is too small and should be more portrait than landscape.

Again, Tim posted the output/export file rather than the screen shots we did of the actual application. It looks different on the app side of things, especially if the actual picture is there. We're between builds at the moment, so as soon as I can I'll get some screen shots from our iPad version linked to this thread.

Quote:
12. Not sure what the spell cards at the end are for, but they remind me way too much of 4E power cards, so I think you should drop them.

Within the iCharacter Sheet there are what we'll call sub-forms for certain entries that allow you to enter in more data than would be normally allowed. For example, on our Equipment input area you can touch/click a small notes icon and another entry field appears where you can detail information on that piece of equipment (say a magic item).

We have the same thing for spells. If you don't want to keep paging through your book every time you need the range or duration of a spell, you can key (or copy/paste from a PDF) in that information for quick reference later. If you enter data into the sub-form then it appears on the export at the end of the character sheet --- yes, much like the 4E sheet printout from DDI (I'm not above stealing a good idea I can't get sued over 8-) ). If you don't want it as part of the export, just don't print that page, but I think as a tool for play it is needed.

Thanks for the feedback Narl, we'll definitely look at these comments!

Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:03 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Evilbeeker wrote:
finerion wrote:

We've talked about this as a possiblilty down the road. At the moment our dev platform does not easily support Android coding, it is something we need to research. Plus we don't own an Android device yet.

As for Linux, I believe certain test-Trolls have tried the Windows version of our 4E app in WINE and it worked -- hence the C&C version should work at well. I'll get tested and confirmed. ;)

Cheers!

Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC

I've been loving this sheet since we first started testing it out and it keeps getting better! Kevin and Stuart are dedicated to making this the best product possible and TLG is fortunate to be partnered with them. As for linux compatibility: Sadly Ubuntu with Wine and Ubuntu with crossover linux 9.1 did not support the BETA version. If Kevin sends me a fully updated version I can test it with Crossover Linux 10 and see if we are now compatible. My subscription to Crossover updates is still active and I think 10 is the latest version. As for android compatibility, hopefully we'll get there. My tab really could use this sheet. For now, I'll convert to PDF and use repligo to read it; shouldnt be a problem.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:29 pm
Mist Elf

Kevin,

Thanks your detailed response to my feedback. This is going to be a great tool for me and my players.

Do you need any more testers? I'm a Mac user and have an iPad.

Thanks, Narl

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:56 pm
Mist Elf

Narl wrote:
Kevin,

Thanks your detailed response to my feedback. This is going to be a great tool for me and my players.

Do you need any more testers? I'm a Mac user and have an iPad.

Thanks, Narl

Thanks for the offer Narl. Drop me your contact information and if we need help I'll drop you a line. :)

Cheers,

Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Ulthal

This looks promising. I hope the Troll Lord considers getting involved with Hero Labs, too. I have their Pathfinder tool, and it is quite good. I intend to purchase the add-ons for Savage Worlds and Mutants & Masterminds at some point.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:38 pm
Mist Elf

Christina Stiles wrote:
This looks promising. I hope the Troll Lord considers getting involved with Hero Labs, too. I have their Pathfinder tool, and it is quite good. I intend to purchase the add-ons for Savage Worlds and Mutants & Masterminds at some point.

As a side note, next on our iCharacter Sheet development block is D&D 3.5, and Savage Worlds. :D

Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC

Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:48 pm
Skobbit

Greetings Folks!

As Kevin mentioned, I've been quite closely involved in developing this app, and have been delighted to have the opportunity. The app runs on three platforms (iPad, native Mac and Windows) and looks pretty similar in all three formats. Here is the Magic tab:

Windows version (with spell pop-up window showing):

iPad version:

Mac version (the window scrolls because my screen is too short to show the whole sheet);

You'll notice that spells appear as pop-up windows in the app.

Because you can't always take your computer with you everywhere, and it is neat to be able to print something out sometimes, the app can create/email a html version of the character sheet. The PDF shows how close the html version is to the actual app:

(PDF version of the 'Magic' tab)

In this case, if there are any spells entered on the sheet, they appear listed after the main sheet, but (as Kevin mentioned) you don't have to print them out.

Another bonus of the HTML format is that it is compatible with ENWorld's new campaign manager.

More soon!

Stuart

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:30 pm
Mist Elf

Thanks Stuart!

My partner in this endeavor everyone ... {insert thunderous applause here}

Quote:
Another bonus of the HTML format is that it is compatible with ENWorld's new campaign manager.

ACK ... I forgot to mention this! Not sure if any C&C fans use this tool, but according to Morris our HTML output works with it swimmingly! 8-)

Kevin Melka
Digital Adventures, LLC

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:44 pm
Ulthal

nicely done, Stuart! Thanks to all of you for your feeback and thoughts; keep them coming!

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Mist Elf

Yo Trolls!

We've been make several corrections based on comments posted on this thread (thanks!!!), but we have one tough call.

To make more space for RACIAL ABILITIES (akin to CLASS ABILITIES) on the first tab we would have to remove something -- in other words, there is a max size for each sheet and there is no room to insert such a large field. As we see it we could do one of two things:

1. Move Ammunition to the ITEMS tab beneath EQUIPMENT, trimming a few lines of the later to make room. We could then create a field for RACIAL ABILITIES on the main tab.

2. Move both RACIAL ABILITIES and CLASS ABILITIES to the NOTES tab to give them a greater amount of space.

The base-question is ... what is more important on the MAIN tab -- Ammunition or Racial/Class Abilities?

Thoughts?

Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:35 pm
Greater Lore Drake

As long as they all fit wherever they are it wouldn't matter much to me. Things you need to modify in combat probably need to be on the front page (probably especially ammo; it's hard enough to get a player to track it when it's not buried :) ).

Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:24 pm
Mist Elf

Aergraith wrote:
As long as they all fit wherever they are it wouldn't matter much to me. Things you need to modify in combat probably need to be on the front page (probably especially ammo; it's hard enough to get a player to track it when it's not buried :) ).

Keeping Ammunition on the first tab means moving Racial and Class abilities, as I see them being together and there is just no room for both on the MAIN tab. we would probably replace Class Abilities with a small NOTES field then for anything misc people would want on the MAIN tab.

So, one vote for Ammunition on the MAIN tab ... any other votes? 8-)

Thanks for the feedback Aergraith!

Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:08 pm
Mist Elf

You can reduce the weapon lines - I've never seen anyone use nine different weapons. Six would be more than enough. Hit dice could also be removed if it help. It isn't used during play at all, only when you level. How much XP you need for next level would be much more useful. I still think having movement that large is a waste of real estate, but that may just be me.

Any plans to change the plant themed graphics around HP and Movement? I would be awesome to have some Peter Bradley art for those to keep with the C&C look and feel. Otherwise, I'd say remove the art. It is my bias, but I don't really care for that vintage clip art look.

I like using the ammo tracker to also track rations, water, etc. and moving it to the back wouldn't be a big deal to me. It would be right there with equipment, which is what you are tracking anyway.

Glad you are going to add more race/class abilities space. To give an example, a dwarf rogue would have nine racial abilities and nine class abilities -- at first level!

Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:19 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Yeah, the Rings of Brass like in Tim's avatar with the middle hollowed out would be better frames for the AC/HP, but they probably aren't needed at all.

Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:18 pm
Skobbit

We've taken on board some of the comments (thanks for your help!) and I've made the following adjustments:
  • Fixed the Touch AC and Grappling AC calculations, and made Grappling AC respond automatically depending on whether Strength is prime;
  • Moved Racial Abilities and Class Abilities to the Notes tab;
  • Used the old Racial Abilities space to include Experience/Next Level fields;
  • Extended the Languages box slightly;
  • Used the old Class Abilities space to add Overbearing AC and To Hit Bonus sections; and
  • Added a Religion field where the old Experience field was.
Please also note that the content of most free-text fields (such as Languages and Racial Abilities) is scrollable, so they can hold more information than the screenshot would suggest.

I've attached a revised screenshot of the Main tab, showing these changes.

Cheers

Stuart

Attachments:
File comment: Revised screenshot of the Main tab.
maintab.png
maintab.png [ 231.38 KiB | Viewed 367 times ]
Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:36 am
Mist Elf

How printer friendly is this application? I like the idea of tracking characters electronically, but I don't like having laptops and iPads at the table.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:38 pm
Skobbit

From earlier posts you can see that it produces HTML output which can be printed. We have formatted the HTML so that it should print neatly on both A4 and US Letter paper. Clearly if you have large amounts of text, which scroll on the screen version, it won't print properly on the paper version. That is one of the reasons why spells have been separately listed on the print version, and appear after the rest of the character sheet.

Stuart

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]