Castles & Crusades and Hero Lab

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Castles & Crusades and Hero Lab

Post by TheMetal1 »

A while back, I picked up Hero Lab from Lone Wolf Studios, which is a digital tool used to help create characters. Primarily, I got it for a Mutants & Masterminds game I was in. It ended up being a huge help. Anyway, fast forward a year or two. I now use it for making characters in Pathfinder, and just the other day it was announced that Wolf Lair and Smiteworks (makers of the find Fantasy Grounds II Virtual table top) have gotten together and now any character you make on Hero Lab for Pathfinder can be imported into Fantasy Grounds II. Huge, Huge time savior and will be even more so once the NPC/monster piece is figured out.

I say all that to ask since C&C is available for Fantasy Grounds II, have they considered working with Wolf Lair and setting up a Character Generation thing for Hero Lab and C&C?

Yes, I know it is easy to roll up a character using the books, but, one of my players was just saying they wished there was just a drop down type tool for C&C. Personally, I don't think it would be all that hard - at least compared to say Shadowrun or Pathfinder or M&M. Really, the Stats, the Class, the level and the race. I think the big thing that it would help with are the Options - espcially the CKG. Which could always be released later as an additional purchase.

Anyway, offering my two cents to get this off ground with Lone Wolf and Herolab (plus it will make my life that much easier when I import sheets into Fantasy Grounds!)

Last thing I'll say pending anyone's comments is even Palladium Books and Rifts is going to start using Hero Lab!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Castles & Crusades and Hero Lab

Post by alcyone »

I agree that Hero Lab is nifty, and while it's not necessary for a simpler game like C&C, I am sure plenty of people would use it, especially those who already use it for other systems or who just want the easy import into Fantasy Grounds II. It's been very useful to me in the 3.5 game I play in for leveling and in-play adjustments/tracking for my character. A determined person can use the scripting support built in to make all sorts of extensions to support any house rules they might have if the base system is in place.

What I don't understand is how to get started. You can buy an Authoring Kit, but that doesn't seem to be too helpful unless you just want to share your data files with other people with the Authoring Kit. To get a licensed game into the store, Troll Lord would have to work out a royalties agreement with Lone Wolf. They could either bless development done on spec by a kind soul with the Authoring Kit, or organize development themselves, but it seems like it would have to start with Stephen calling Lone Wolf.

I am always a bit astonished at how different two games of C&C can be run, and what the interpretations of "by the book" are, let alone all of the various house rules people add in, and I wonder if there would be some resistance to adopting a tool like this since it would necessarily have to codify some of these interpretations. Something like the Digital Adventures sheet doesn't have all of the power of Hero Lab, but it's basically just a bunch of forms that people can use how they want, so accommodates lots of different usages.

I personally like character generators/trackers and have been meaning to write my own, but uncertainty about some of the above have held me back (oh, no, not my own laziness, it must be some other cause...)
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Aergraith wrote:I wonder if there would be some resistance to adopting a tool like this since it would necessarily have to codify some of these interpretations
I wouldn't think so, because you can always add in a house rule or changes things. Which many of C&C players and CKs will do with or without official sanction! :)

And, at least in Pathfinder and M&M when you open up the program it offers you which options you want to use. Which I could see as great feature especially for the CKG or other supplements - Castellans guide, Tainted Lands, World of Ahride - all would open up optional rules.

I think more where it would come into play with the variations would be in actual play using Hero Lab as a character sheet type thing.

Oh yeah and it is Lone Wolf Development that makes the program Hero Labs, but their website is www.wolflair.com. Hence why I called it Wolf Lair instead of Hero Labs. I've corrected that now in the edit but thank you for catching that!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I've grabbed the Authoring Kit. I plan to play around with it a little and see what kind of work it will take to get at least the core rules in.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I just recently picked up Hero Lab, for Pathfinder character making purposes. I also think that while character creation is a snap for C&C, having a Hero Lab version would be pretty nifty.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Storycrafter
Mist Elf

Post by Storycrafter »

Anyone care to follow up with how far they have progressed? I'm debating approaching this myself, and while I could probably handle the technical aspects, I don't have the time.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I've made about as much progress as I imagined I would, which is to say nearly none. It's quite a bit of work, even starting from the included systems. Not hard, really, but just lots of stuff to consider. I'm not actively working on it; maybe more next year.