If you could turn any 3 books into C&C supplements...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Lord Dynel
Maukling

If you could turn any 3 books into C&C supplements...

Post by Lord Dynel »

...what would you pick, and why? :D

I often sit back and muse, "Man, I sure do wish the Trolls would make a C&C version of __________!" What are those books, and why? I know C&C can use just about anything, especially from D&D/AD&D, but it still doesn't stop me from wanting a C&C version of it, just for the awesomeness factor.

My selections would be (in no particular order):

1) Tome of Horrors - because a big honkin' book of some classic monsters would be sweet.

2) Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue - I think a big book of C&C equipment would be damn sweet.

3) Dungeoneer's Survival Guide - I would like to see the Trolls take on the Underdark and underground adventuring.

What are yours?
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Omote
Battle Stag

Re: If you could turn any 3 books into C&C supplements...

Post by Omote »

1.) Midnight, the dark fantasy setting from FFG. The setting is different, but ground in what we all love. It's difficult, and maybe a little bit of survival horror. The 3.5E system doesn't do the setting justice because it is so overly complicated. The concepts of the Midnight setting should be the only complicated aspect of that game.

2.) Birthright. Another setting choice of mine that I believe didn't get it's fair shake in the 2E days. There's a lot of depth there that just wasn't explored. With Fields of Battle box set, much of the core idea behind Birthright already exists for a C&C conversion.

3.) Rappan Athuk Reloaded. The best mega-dungeon ever produced. C&Cize that bad mammy-jamma.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Dead Horse
Red Cap

Post by Dead Horse »

Omote i am slowly working on a BirthRight converson to C&C. I am working to make it setting neutral so you can port rulership to any setting you desire.
I found BirthRight a year or so before 3e came along. Myself and a DM buddy of mine adapted it to our shared world. I still use slightly hacked BR in the games i run.
Please don't beat me.
Not Worth Any Experiance Points Alive http://nwaepa.blogspot.com/

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Lord Dynel wrote:...what would you pick, and why? :D

I often sit back and muse, "Man, I sure do wish the Trolls would make a C&C version of __________!" What are those books, and why? I know C&C can use just about anything, especially from D&D/AD&D, but it still doesn't stop me from wanting a C&C version of it, just for the awesomeness factor.

1) Tome of Horrors - because a big honkin' book of some classic monsters would be sweet.

2) Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue - I think a big book of C&C equipment would be damn sweet.

3) Dungeoneer's Survival Guide - I would like to see the Trolls take on the Underdark and underground adventuring.

What are yours?
Two of these are in the pipeline.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

The survival guides are good ones.

I'd like to see the expeditious retreat 1-on-1 books, or really any 1 CK 1 player adventures.
Mystara gazetteers (though Aihrdean equivalents would be cool too)
The Shady Dragon Inn
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

1. Planescape
  2. Gamma World
  3. And, this.
Mostly because of my love for all three settings.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Dead Horse wrote:Omote i am slowly working on a BirthRight converson to C&C. I am working to make it setting neutral so you can port rulership to any setting you desire.
Well that's a HOODIE-HOO! is I ever heard one. Keep us in the loop DH. I'm sure your conversion work would be mighty handy to a lot of fellers.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

1) Swords and Deviltry. Lankhmar! Fafhrd, the Gray Mouser, sword fights and winsome girls and lots of drinking...

2) A conversion of the old Oriental Adventures book would be great, too.

3) (reserved, need to ponder)
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Yep, Oriental Adventures!!!! 8-)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Arakor
Hlobane Orc

Post by Arakor »

Hmmm... this needs a bit of thought.

1) The Mystaran Gazetteers (my first and favourite setting)

2) Kingdoms of Kalamar (I bought this for both AD&D2 and for D20, never got the chance to play or run it)

3) Thunder Rift (the original D&D Sandbox)

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

AGNKim wrote:
Lord Dynel wrote:...what would you pick, and why? :D

What are yours?
Two of these are in the pipeline.
That's sweet! I know about the Classic Monsters the Manual book, and I'm waiting pretty anxiously for that. A second one is being worked on, too? Sweet!

CKDad wrote:2) A conversion of the old Oriental Adventures book would be great, too.
Heck yeah! This was actually my fourth selection!

Arakor wrote:2) Kingdoms of Kalamar (I bought this for both AD&D2 and for D20, never got the chance to play or run it)
Another nice choice. But if I'm not mistaken, Arakor (it's been a long time since I perused the box), isn't the AD&D one almost totally generic? I mean, can't you use it for C&C straight out of the box?
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Arakor
Hlobane Orc

Post by Arakor »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Arakor wrote:2) Kingdoms of Kalamar (I bought this for both AD&D2 and for D20, never got the chance to play or run it)
Another nice choice. But if I'm not mistaken, Arakor (it's been a long time since I perused the box), isn't the AD&D one almost totally generic? I mean, can't you use it for C&C straight out of the box?
Err ... yeah ... if I could find the box set somewhere in my vast hoards of stuff in the garage. :oops:

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

Post by Andred of Albans »

I am currently working on a C&C/SIEGE version of Chivalry & Sorcery. I love the feel, the magic system and the true medieval flavor of C&S but the rules engine is incredibly math heavy. I like "pop the clutch and go" style systems like C&C.

I particularly like the magic system in C&S, it represents sorcery, witchcraft, shamanism and priestly miracles in a fashion close to what the medieval magi actually believed. Magic is much more subdued in C&S, though you can have your share of fireball slinging if that's your thing.

My choices would be

1. Historical Reference Books (Crusades, Celts, Vikings, etc.)
2. Oriental Adventures
3. Ravenloft
Visit my

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Post by cuchulainkevin »

1 Gotta agree with the Birthright love- it's what I'm currently rereading
2. A Holmes basic with the fan made add on the goes up to level 9. I loved the flavor of the set. It just fired my jets when I was 12-13.
3. I'm going to think outside the box on this one....but Battletech/Mechwarrior. A unified d20 mechanic with the siege engine for skills rolls with giant mech combat. I call only 3025 rules though, no munchkiny clans, aff?
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

danbuter
Hlobane Orc

Post by danbuter »

1. Anuire from the Birthright setting. I don't want all the other stuff, just the high medieval setting.
2. A Fae setting. Players are Sidhe, Brownies, Trolls, Goblins, etc. Like Changeling, but set in a fantasy world with no humans. Magic use would be extremely common.
3. A big hardcover book covering the Haunted Highlands.

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

Depends if you mean a straight conversion or whole new rewrite, but I'll try.

1) Fiend Folio- so many under-rated monsters. The kind I used to skip past & choose something easier, but if gievn an afternooons thought, can provide a more satisfying outcome than others.

It is not that I couldn't do a straightish conversion, but that I'd like to see what the experts would come up with given the same inspiration. AD&D MMI almost got this slot just 'cos of the Flayer.

2) TMNT & Other Strangeness. Cool game idea (i discovered the comic just before the cartoon & then was mind=blown when cartoon & rpg came out). Less than perfect system IMO- although I find it's scale much more manageable than any other Palladium rpg. review aside I just know the Trolls elegant streamline but keep the heart treatment could blow my mind on that one.

3. AD&D Manual of the Planes.. Been a hot topic over at DF lately and I chose this one jjst because I think it was an idea with great potential done poorly. I resisted choosing some faves just because I honestly like em as is. This one is an idea you can take anywhere that was botched at first attempt (and I missed planescape altogether, too many settings at that time!).

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

cuchulainkevin wrote: 3. I'm going to think outside the box on this one....but Battletech/Mechwarrior. A unified d20 mechanic with the siege engine for skills rolls with giant mech combat. I call only 3025 rules though, no munchkiny clans, aff?
I'd buy that!

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

zarathustra wrote:Depends if you mean a straight conversion or whole new rewrite, but I'll try.

1) Fiend Folio-

2) TMNT & Other Strangeness.

3. AD&D Manual of the Planes..
1. Classic Monsters: The Manual has a ton of FF monsters.
2. Don't see this happening.
3. This would be quite good. Yes, quite good. I'm surprised no one has thought of this sooner... Or have they? :twisted:

Peter
Red Cap

Post by Peter »

2) TMNT & Other Strangeness. Cool game idea (i discovered the comic just before the cartoon & then was mind=blown when cartoon & rpg came out). Less than perfect system IMO- although I find it's scale much more manageable than any other Palladium rpg. review aside I just know the Trolls elegant streamline but keep the heart treatment could blow my mind on that one.
A very similar race creation is in my Companion under Mutant Animal. At some point I'm going to merge in the other animals from the sourcebooks.

GameTroll
Henchman

Post by GameTroll »

ok call me crazy but
1) bounty head bebop using the seige engine
2)firefly
3)Harpers guide
just for those of you that dont know bounty head bebop is a rpg game based on the hit anime seris cowboy bebop if u havent heard of it i highly sugest it really good even for most people who dont like anime
firefly well most should know that its an rpg based on serinity well i think the game is actually called serinity not firefly
i fricking love hapers for anybody who played 2nd edition and since this is pretty much the same i would love to see a C&C version
NAT TWENTY TO YOUR GHOST, SON-ME
He is immune to physical attacks-DM
epic sadness and rage-Me

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

The Amber Book- Across the infinite shadows with C&C!

Star Wars- The Force Use is a prime for me!

Wild Cards- Super Hero Fun with fast and fun rules!

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Post by ChaosImp »

1) Midnight ( doing this one now and its great ! )
2) Rappan Athuk re-loaded
3) Forgotton Realms

IMP

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

1] Ptolus
2] Rappan Athuk complete (upcoming product from Frog God Games)
3] The Tome of Horrors complete (Frog God Games)
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

GameTroll wrote:ok call me crazy but
1) bounty head bebop using the seige engine

just for those of you that dont know bounty head bebop is a rpg game based on the hit anime seris cowboy bebop if u havent heard of it i highly sugest it really good even for most people who dont like anime
firefly well most should know that its an rpg based on serinity well i think the game is actually called serinity not firefly
THIS. Bounty Head Bebop is cool, but the system is a bit too complex/convoluted for my tastes. But, the Cowboy Beebop setting is SO FRICKEN' AMAZING to roleplay in.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

CKDad wrote:1) Swords and Deviltry. Lankhmar! Fafhrd, the Gray Mouser, sword fights and winsome girls and lots of drinking...
CKDad, you are the "caller of the show!"

I'd buy that one in a heartbeat. I have the old AD&D boxed set and Mongoose RQ Lankhmar books but would love to have everything put together in C&C format. If it's not the ultimate RPG world, it must be close! :D
GameOgre wrote:The Amber Book- Across the infinite shadows with C&C!
I'd like this one too, since I love all things Amber, but I'm not sure how well it would translate into C&C. :oops:
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Andred of Albans wrote:I am currently working on a C&C/SIEGE version of Chivalry & Sorcery. I love the feel, the magic system and the true medieval flavor of C&S but the rules engine is incredibly math heavy. I like "pop the clutch and go" style systems like C&C.

I particularly like the magic system in C&S, it represents sorcery, witchcraft, shamanism and priestly miracles in a fashion close to what the medieval magi actually believed. Magic is much more subdued in C&S, though you can have your share of fireball slinging if that's your thing.

My choices would be

1. Historical Reference Books (Crusades, Celts, Vikings, etc.)
2. Oriental Adventures
3. Ravenloft
I've never heard of C&S, but that magic system sounds like I'd like it.

I agree with #1 & 2. I LOVE the history reference books! Also, it's been years since I played OE, but I loved it back in the day.

For my #3, I'm not sure. Ravenloft would be cool, but midnight would be cool too, and I'm sure there are other books out there I'd love just as much.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

Lurker wrote:I've never heard of C&S, but that magic system sounds like I'd like it.

I agree with #1 & 2. I LOVE the history reference books! Also, it's been years since I played OE, but I loved it back in the day.
Chivalry & Sorcery was a product of Fantasy Games Unlimited - I remember Scott Bizar and his wife from when they ran the Waterloo Game Shoppe in Stonybrook, NY and playtested C&S there. Great game but very math intensive. An unofficial edition, written by one of the original authors (his partner in crime had already passed on) is available as a free, legal download at the Rolengames site
Lurker wrote:For my #3, I'm not sure. Ravenloft would be cool, but midnight would be cool too, and I'm sure there are other books out there I'd love just as much.
Not familiar with Midnight but I love Gothic Horror
Visit my

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Andred of Albans wrote: Chivalry & Sorcery was a product of Fantasy Games Unlimited - I remember Scott Bizar and his wife from when they ran the Waterloo Game Shoppe in Stonybrook, NY and playtested C&S there. Great game but very math intensive. An unofficial edition, written by one of the original authors (his partner in crime had already passed on) is available as a free, legal download at the Rolengames site
Thank you for that link! I had been looking for it a while back and couldn't find it (and then forgot about it).
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Andred of Albans wrote:
Lurker wrote:For my #3, I'm not sure. Ravenloft would be cool, but midnight would be cool too, and I'm sure there are other books out there I'd love just as much.
Not familiar with Midnight but I love Gothic Horror
The Midnight setting is not really gothic horror, but there are probably some of those elements in the setting. It's a pretty unique setting that is one-part survival horror, and one part classic D&D world. Izrador, the dark god has won his war upon the land. He (it) rules with a mighty iron fist of dominance. Your characters, typically, play the resistance against the evil which has swept over the land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_( ... ying_game)
http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Campaign ... 0903SBKGZP

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

csperkins1970 wrote:Thank you for that link! I had been looking for it a while back and couldn't find it (and then forgot about it).
One lives to serve :mrgreen:
Visit my