d100 roll under

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Cardinal Thor
Mist Elf

d100 roll under

Post by Cardinal Thor »

Can anyone recommend any systems that are d100 roll under? I'm looking to check out how the mechanic handles modifiers and opposed rolls in different systems.
- CT

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: d100 roll under

Post by Relaxo »

i might be wrong but i thinkthere's a call of cthulu game with that mechanic? my friends who played it like it b/c the gm would tally the skills you used and you add 1d3 to the skill rather than leveling up and they thought that gradual growth of the skills was more realistic.

or something.
so that really doesn't answer your question, sorry. Im' on painkillers
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Star Frontiers
Top Secret
Basic Role Playing (from Chaosium like CoC)

are a few off the top of my head.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

Lejendary Adventure

DeadReborn
Ulthal

Post by DeadReborn »

There's GORE, which is I think a retro-clone of Basic Role Playing. Best of all, it's free.
Relaxo wrote:Im' on painkillers
Are you alright Bill?
"My simple card trick has turned you into an ice cream cone!
Which means...I AM A LEVEL TEN WIZARD!"-SpongeBob SquarePants

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

See if you can pick up an old ebay copy of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay on the cheap. Not the crappy new edition, but a 1st or 2nd edition version.

Or, one of the best games in the universe evars: Dark Heresy!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Star Frontiers in da house!

concobar
Ulthal

Post by concobar »

rolemaster
Middle earth roleplaying .. of course thats just a very simplified role master.
original rune quest?

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

I thought RM/MERP used a roll-high mechanic?

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

God, I hate to say this, but just for completeness; F.A.T.A.L. The most realistic game in the world.

Now I feel dirty.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

LOL, Sir!

Vinny, I'm ok. got a bad cat bite on my right shin. Yes, a cat bite. It got infected right away and has been a real bitch, frankly. First, I was surprised howmuch a house cats' attack can hurt! Next, it got infected and I spent my Friday night in the UC after breaking out in a crazy rash all over. Could be worse, but frick! I need this like a third nut.

Today, i actually feel a lot better adn the rash and weird red trails in my skin from the bites are gone. i really should ahve gone to teh dr Wed (when i was bitten) or thurs.

Short answer: yeah, I'll be fine. :D

[/threadjack]
(sorry)
:)
Bill D.

Cardinal Thor
Mist Elf

Post by Cardinal Thor »

Thanks for all the input guys. I took a look at GORE and Caosium BRP, both way more complicated than I was looking for. I don't suppose there are any d100 rules lite systems? I was thinking I'd find something simple like, "roll under your skill and you succeed". No opposed rolls or stats needed, just succeed at the skill and you succeed. Guess I'll just make something up and try it. I can still mine BRP for spells I suppose.
- CT

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Maybe look at OpenQuest. http://d101games.co.uk/books/openquest/

There's a free 3 page game, that light enough?

http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/d100-system-core
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Every game that does not have a certainty of success or failure, in which dice are used, can be broken down into a percentile roll; for example, if you have a 1 in 6 chance, that is 16.66%. Toward that end, I would suggest two products:

RPG Data Con (there is a second product along these lines I like a great deal as well, but the name escapes me presently)

The Primal Order (yes, I know it was by WotC, but they used to be a gaming company...)

Both of these are, essentially, conversion systems from Game A to Game B.

But, that's being somewhat facetious and not extraordinarily helpful... so, I would highly recommend Basic Role Play (not the latest release, but an earlier form, perhaps as it was released with Worlds of Wonder or Thieves' World,) which has numerous children games like Call of Cthulhu and RoleMaster, which I am sure have been touted on this thread before. I would also highly suggest Lejendary Adventure (and Dangerous Journey, using only Mythus Prime as the whole shebang is somewhat "involved" though, if you can find it, the Unhallowed expansion is sweet), again, one which likely to have been mentioned.

zarathustra
Red Cap

Post by zarathustra »

As already suggested WHFRPG 2E fits the bill.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Aergraith wrote:Maybe look at OpenQuest. http://d101games.co.uk/books/openquest/
There's a free 3 page game, that light enough?
http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/d100-system-core
I only skimmed it, but that looks pretty slick.
Bill D.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Don't forget Fantasy Flight Games RPGs set in the Games Workshop Sci-Fi Warhammer 40,000 Universe - Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, and Black Crusade.

Pretty much like Warhammer Fantasy 1st & 2nd Editions with Skills/Attributes at a percentage level, and you have to roll under it. Circumstances, certain feats, weapons and gear will give a percentage increase or decrease to be successful, be it for combat or what not.

Also mentioned above, but just to reiterate - Iron Crown Enterprises (ICE) produces Rolemaster Classic, Rolemaster Express and Rolemaster Fantasy Roleplaying - All three are generally the same with varying levels of options and what-not, use the d100. It is also worth noting that ICE also produces Spacemaster a Sci-Fi d100 product along with High Adventure Roleplaying (HARP) and HARP SF (a science fiction version), both also d100.

One thing that's fun with the ICE stuff and to a certian extent with FFG's 40K stuff are the Critical Hit charts, though YMMV.

I think most of these games also have lite version or sample starter products for free to check out the rules/mechanics. Just visit there websites and look around.

Cardinal Thor
Mist Elf

Post by Cardinal Thor »

I want to thank everyone again for giving me all these options to explore. I had no idea most of these were out there. For obvious reasons, I'm going to start with the freebies and then check out the used rack at my FLGS. Once again the TLG community comes through!
- CT