Looking for a good book

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Rigon
Clang lives!

Looking for a good book

Post by Rigon »

Hey folks, I was wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of a good world building book. It can be for any system, as long as it has good nfo on building worlds. Thanks.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

kreider204
Unkbartig

Re: Looking for a good book

Post by kreider204 »

Rolemaster's CAMPAIGN LAW was quite good. Not sure if it's available anywhere these days.

Didn't Gary write a world building book for TLG?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

World Builder's Guide for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd Edition.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

kreider204 wrote:Rolemaster's CAMPAIGN LAW was quite good. Not sure if it's available anywhere these days.
Trying to track it down. Thanks.
Didn't Gary write a world building book for TLG?
It's called Gary Gygax's World Builder. It's on my wishlist.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Omote wrote:World Builder's Guide for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd Edition.

~O
Have it. Thanks.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Rigon wrote:Hey folks, I was wondering if any of you could point me in the direction of a good world building book. It can be for any system, as long as it has good nfo on building worlds. Thanks.

R-
I smell a new campaign a brewin' ;)

There are lots of resources, some of which are already mentioned.

But to be honest I think the best approach is start small with a few ideas and make a small local map and sandbox. Then, read some other campaign settings, a few great modules, and some good fantasy novels. Borrow/adapt 4 or 5 ideas from those sources, that seem to go together and sound cool, and voila...new campaign

The top down approach most books favour, where you devise cosmologies, and entire multi regional histories, and various pantheons, etc. etc. is probably more work than needed because a) your players only experience a small slice of it and b) the PCs are mostly just there to fight things and get rich (and, in the case of Jaybird, impress lady gnomes)

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

From Traveller I offer three, all for science-fiction of course. But some of the tidbits on building cultures can be applied to almost any game.

The first is fairly hard to find, because the person who currently holds the IP hasn't permitted it to be reprinted in any form. But Digest Group Publication's World Builder's Handbook is one of the Great Works of the MegaTraveller era, and one of the best things published for Traveller, period. It picks up where book 6 from Classic Traveller, Scouts, left off, and lets you build everything about an entire solar system, from stellar type of the system primary down to the attire of unmarried young males. It also contains a bunch of stuff about conducting surveys and exploration of new worlds which can be handy for any science-fiction oriented game.

From GURPS (3e) Traveller came First In, which I believe is still available via PDF at Warehouse 23 (the SJG online store) and as fairly affordable copies on e-Bay. (SJG may even have print copies in stock, I'm not sure.) First In updates the science to what we thought we knew about planetary formation in the late 90s but otherwise covers a lot of the same ground as it's DGP predecessor. It's got a lot of detail of the Scout service in the 3I setting, at least according to GURPS, which has always struck me as being a bit too "20th century US/EU/global culture in SPAAAAACE" for my liking. But again, some good stuff about building and mapping planets and cultures.

A little bit different beast comes from the Traveller: New Era period, the World Tamer's Handbook. I own this but am not as familiar with it as I am the other two works, largely because TNE is something I'd rather forget about the Traveller canon. But the core of this book is taking the state of a world as known prior to the Imperium-wide apocalypse that ended the MegaTraveller period, and applying the effects of that apocalypse to the planet. Some cool ideas for looking at what happens to advanced societies when you destroy things like external trade and certain technologies. It's available in PDF from Far Future Enterprises (Marc Miller's company) on DriveThru/RPGNow, and shows up from time to time on e-Bay and other auction sites.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Arakor
Hlobane Orc

Post by Arakor »

Can I suggest the following?

Dawn of Worlds:- http://www.clanwebsite.org/games/games.html

Microscope:- http://lamemage.com