View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Wonderful things are afoot at Grimmhaus 
Greater Lore Drake

Post Wonderful things are afoot at Grimmhaus
Quick disclaimer: this is not meant to be a religious post but it will include dialog that will pertain to faith. I don't want to start a debate, I only want to share some of the things that have been happening.

That said . . .

The past few weeks have been the culmination of several things that seemed unrelated at the time. As some of you know I am involved in the Celebrate Recovery ministry at my church. Basically, CR is a broad spectrum 12-step program that covers more that just alcohol and drug issues. I have been instrumental the past few years but was first asked to be a substitute teacher for the youth class a few months ago.

Recently, the Pastor of the church I attend resigned. This left a void in certain aspects of leadership and the need to fill that void quickly. Along with this I had the desire to find a way to begin helping the poor, sick and other 'lower class' members of my community. Unknown to me another member had the same desire. He happens to be a member of my C&C group and after a game we were talking and found our ideas meshed very well.

Meanwhile, it seems the leadership of CR had decided on who the new leaders would be and was awaiting to ask those people. The two that were chosen were the above friend and myself. I was chosen to take over the youth class and one of the overseers of CR. My friend was chosen as the other overseer and as a worship coordinator. The leadership went from one person to three in a single night. Our first night since the change was a success. In the meantime we now have 10 people interested in the other ministry and are now organizing.

This gets us to last night and today. Last night our C&C game was cancelled due to becoming aware of a family that needed help. One member of the group took this family to the local Toys for Tots distribution and we made sure they were safely saw home and helped to unload and sort the toys they had received for the family. With the game shot we went over some business of both CR and the new ministry after we were done with the night's work.

This morning my wife called me and said that an anonymous person had paid off our Christmas layaway for the kids. She was in tears and was overwhelmed that someone would do that. A week ago I was given, by my former pastor, a library of books that I would need as he said, "For what you will be doing next." All of this has changed the mood around our home and has given us more hope and peace than we have had for awhile.

It has been an amazing few weeks and I just had to share what has happened.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Ulthal

Post Re: Wonderful things are afoot at Grimmhaus
Good news, indeed! :D

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:11 pm
Mogrl

Awesome! I have found helping others does a lot to bring yourself peace.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:02 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Thanks for sharing.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:29 am
Greater Lore Drake

That's wonderful!
Peace and Joy be with you, Julian.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:58 am
Greater Lore Drake

Julian Grimm wrote:

Quick disclaimer: this is not meant to be a religious post but it will include dialog that will pertain to faith. I don't want to start a debate, I only want to share some of the things that have been happening.

That said . . .

I will go on with this disclaimer ... I count everyone here as a friend, and DO NOT want to offend any of you, but as this is a talk of faith, I have to bring in my faith and religion . I am not trying preach or to convert, I am just sharing with JG

JG

Like you, it’s been a rough one for me over the last year plus. However, through that, I’ve kept my faith, gotten more involved in the church when I returned to NE OK, and trusted in the path I was being lead down. Through this, I’ve gone from simply volunteering to wash dishes, to helping control the chaos that is Wednesday evening and helping the local POOR kids/families, to teaching Sunday School. Then last week I was asked to teach (I still can’t picture myself as proclaiming/preaching) from behind the pulpit last Sunday. The lesson was horribly hard – “you have to stand in the gap where needed and be ready to pay the price for it … regardless” A mix of history –MLK Jr, Bohnopher, & MLK etc, plus Paul as biblical proof. Despite the hard subject, I had multiple people come up and say they never heard a lesson like that, and wish it would have been put out years ago …

Like you, I’ve seen things fall into place (though it hasn’t been such a ‘shake up” at my church) and even libraries falling into place exactly when needed. The people are in place when the door opens, the lesson is there to be taught when the class opens, the leader will fill in the gap when he is needed

I know what you mean with

Julian Grimm wrote:

All of this has changed the mood around our home and has given us more hope and peace than we have had for awhile.

Things still are not “great’ here, but issues that have been a thorn in my family are falling away and I have a peace that I have not known in years !!

My prayers go to you for the path God is sending you, may God bless and have a Merry Christmas

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:54 am
Lore Drake

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome! Merry Christmas and blessings to both of you on your ministry now and in the future.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:07 am
Ulthal

May Heavenly Father continue to bless y ou all, This is where heroic games and fiction can bring us - from the fiction to the reality of heroism. God means for us to be the leaders and the heroes in this great work.

It's a different armor and a different sword, but it's an even more epic adventure.

"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:25 am
Red Cap

Awesome news and stories... keep the faith, and may I second this:

MormonYoYoMan wrote:
May Heavenly Father continue to bless y ou all, This is where heroic games and fiction can bring us - from the fiction to the reality of heroism. God means for us to be the leaders and the heroes in this great work.

It's a different armor and a different sword, but it's an even more epic adventure.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:48 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Good news and stories to hear at this time of year.

:D

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:44 am
Greater Lore Drake

Lurker wrote:
Julian Grimm wrote:

That said . . .

I will go on with this disclaimer ... I count everyone here as a friend, and DO NOT want to offend any of you, but as this is a talk of faith, I have to bring in my faith and religion . I am not trying preach or to convert, I am just sharing with JG

JG

Like you, it’s been a rough one for me over the last year plus. However, through that, I’ve kept my faith, gotten more involved in the church when I returned to NE OK, and trusted in the path I was being lead down. Through this, I’ve gone from simply volunteering to wash dishes, to helping control the chaos that is Wednesday evening and helping the local POOR kids/families, to teaching Sunday School. Then last week I was asked to teach (I still can’t picture myself as proclaiming/preaching) from behind the pulpit last Sunday. The lesson was horribly hard – “you have to stand in the gap where needed and be ready to pay the price for it … regardless” A mix of history –MLK Jr, Bohnopher, & MLK etc, plus Paul as biblical proof. Despite the hard subject, I had multiple people come up and say they never heard a lesson like that, and wish it would have been put out years ago …

Like you, I’ve seen things fall into place (though it hasn’t been such a ‘shake up” at my church) and even libraries falling into place exactly when needed. The people are in place when the door opens, the lesson is there to be taught when the class opens, the leader will fill in the gap when he is needed

I know what you mean with

Julian Grimm wrote:

All of this has changed the mood around our home and has given us more hope and peace than we have had for awhile.

Things still are not “great’ here, but issues that have been a thorn in my family are falling away and I have a peace that I have not known in years !!

My prayers go to you for the path God is sending you, may God bless and have a Merry Christmas

Wonderful story, Lurker.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:09 am
Profile WWW
Ulthal

I have only this to say about the two of you who are in NE Oklahoma and SW Missouri:

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I LIVED IN THE JOPLIN/MIAMI/NEOSHO AREA?

"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:24 am
Greater Lore Drake

MormonYoYoMan wrote:
I have only this to say about the two of you who are in NE Oklahoma and SW Missouri:

Depending on the year I was in either Lebanon or Grovespring. Outside of a 3 month stint in St. Louis those are the only other two places I have lived. 8-)

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:27 am
Profile WWW
Hlobane Orc

Welcome to the wonderful, frustrating, amazing, maddening, world of pastoral care :D

I've done it myself - it's a mix of the joy of helping other and the frustration with those who won't be helped. Wish you all the luck and every good thing - but, you are gonna need it :mrgreen:

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:06 am
Greater Lore Drake

MormonYoYoMan wrote:

Well depending on when you were here (that is only an hour away by the way) I was stationed in NC, Italy, GA, or FL and/or deployed to - name your least favorite arm pit of the world.

However, and more importantly, now that I am here where are you :?: ;)

C&C Society

Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:37 am
Greater Lore Drake

Andred of Albans wrote:
Welcome to the wonderful, frustrating, amazing, maddening, world of pastoral care :D

I've done it myself - it's a mix of the joy of helping other and the frustration with those who won't be helped. Wish you all the luck and every good thing - but, you are gonna need it :mrgreen:

Thanks. . .I think. :| :lol:

Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:08 am
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

Thank you all for the wonderful words! If you would have told me a year ago this would happen I would have said that this wasn't for me. If you had told me four years ago this would happen I would have laughed at you.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:09 am
Profile WWW
Ulthal

Lurker wrote:
MormonYoYoMan wrote:

Well depending on when you were here (that is only an hour away by the way) I was stationed in NC, Italy, GA, or FL and/or deployed to - name your least favorite arm pit of the world.

However, and more importantly, now that I am here where are you :?: ;)

Lurkie, I grew up in Picher, OK from 1954-1972. Moved into the dorm at NEO in Miami, then got married, in 1973. Since then have lived all over the world and had all sorts of adventures. But now that I'm a bald old cripple, we live in Houston, TX because it's warmer than Hell.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:33 am
Mogrl

Knowing what is known, and understanding the standing... I'm glad for you Josh.

Please excuse the non-religion.

Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:51 pm
Greater Lore Drake

MormonYoYoMan wrote:

Lurkie, I grew up in Picher, OK from 1954-1972. Moved into the dorm at NEO in Miami, then got married, in 1973. Since then have lived all over the world and had all sorts of adventures. But now that I'm a bald old cripple, we live in Houston, TX because it's warmer than Hell.

married 1973 :shock: , my friend that waswhen I was a YOUNG pup still sucking my thumb ;) Now way we could have gamed together back then ...

However, I'm bald, old (feel it any way) and with over 200 jumps colse to being cripple, so don't feel bad :D

C&C Society

Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:33 am
Ulthal

Lurker wrote:
...so don't feel bad :D

Not with these cool pain meds! :shock:

Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:17 am
Greater Lore Drake

serleran wrote:
Knowing what is known, and understanding the standing... I'm glad for you Josh.

Please excuse the non-religion.

Thanks, Serl. And there is no need for excuse knowing what you have shared on the forums in the past.

That said, things are getting better and better. I picked up a temporary part-time job of sorts while waiting for the Gumment to sort out the whole disability mess. It is not much but gets me out of the house and there is free food! :lol: CR is coming back together and has seen some growth. One of the big things, for me anyway, was that a friend from waaaay back has joined up with the program to help him work through a serious medical condition and its effects. He chose me as his sponsor as, in his words, 'You're the only one I trust enough to do this with.' This all came about after joining my C&C campaign.

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]