Vacation

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Vacation

Post by Lurker »

Well, after almost 2 years from my retiring out of the AF and finally getting my VA rating, I was able to take a vacation.

I was able to take a few days drive down to FL to my last duty station and visit with a few ole team mates. While there, I was able to eat my fill of real fresh sea food, and the best key lime pie I’ve ever had. Plus, my older girl, just over 5 years old, remembered how much she loves oysters and crab legs. She ate a whole dozen on her own! :shock:

After that, we went to GA to my wife’s family. There we got to eat a ton of homemade Korean food (my wife is Korean) we went to the Atlanta aquarium and my little ones got to pet sharks rays and other little wet things. Oh yeah I got to spend a day tiling a bathroom (all the Korean food comes at a price) ;)

This week, my brother and his fiancé are here (she got accepted to a med school in AZ so they are moving and stopped here for a week). With them, I’ve fished and been on the lake almost every day, we caught enough catfish for 2 good fish fries. The fiancé, being a city girl from the NE US, has learned how to dig potatoes, pick green beans, bait a hook, and drive the boat. For tomorrow, we have over $300 worth of fireworks for tomorrow, and 15 lbs of chicken in brine for the grill (plus hotdogs for the little ones)

Ok, not bragging there, just saying what I’ve been lucky enough to do this summer …
Now, why I made this post, what are your alls’ vacation plans? I know 2 are going to Europe (I still say have a good pint for me), but what else are you all doing?

Whatever it is, I hope you have a good one :!:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Vacation

Post by Treebore »

Before we go to Europe we will be spending a week in DC, primarily to thoroughly go through the Smithsonian. I haven't been there for close to 25 years. My son has never been there, and my wife won't admit how young she was the last time she was there. As for July 4th, the only thing out of the ordinary we are doing is to go see fireworks. AZ has been too dry to risk our own fireworks.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'm lucky enough to be doing GenCon in Indianapolis in August, then taking 11 days in Germany. I'm going to do a couple of days in Vegas for the Holidays too I think.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

After having been dismissed from my last job, I have not accrued vacation time and will not be having one. I am also working the 4th so that I can take another day off later, that only to have AmishCon (my own personal gaming gathering) last for 3 days instead of 1.5.

Also, this state doesn't allow boom-booms so I didn't get any. A shame. I like blowing up things.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

I'm a college prof, so I'm off contract / unpaid / unemployed / living off my savings in the summer. The upside is that I have time for fun stuff like RPGs (getting in to HEX), music (practicing my bass and learning some piano), reading (LotR for the first time in probably 25 years), fixing up the house a little (and paying people to do it when I get in over my head ... ), and so forth. The missuz and I will travel a tad in early August - we'll visit some family in northern NY, primarily my dad and the house where I mainly grew up - he has about 250 acres of land in St. Lawrence County (north of the Adirondacks), and it's a really gorgeous, peaceful place to spend a week just mellowing out.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

That is what is great about living close to the American border. I celebrate Canada on July 1st and if I want I can go over the border and celebrate Independence day on the 4th. :D
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

My aforementioned dad's place isn't much more than a half hour from the Canadian border. We used to visit a lot when I was growing up, especially Ottawa and Montreal. My wife and I also honeymooned in Ottawa - great city!

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Va-ca-SHUN??

What is this strange thing you speak of?
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

seskis281 wrote:Va-ca-SHUN??

What is this strange thing you speak of?
The associate dean gets no such thing. ;)

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I'm working my ass off (aka "I got a rock"). I'm hoping to take a day and a half next weekend to visit Mason City, IA where I worked for a year a little while back. It's the capital of the Middle of Nowhere, but it has a fantastic public pool and friends I met during my time in exile. My wife and I are planning a trip to the Cancun area this fall, though. Otherwise, I expect to work every day between now and Labor Day.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Arakor
Hlobane Orc

Post by Arakor »

I've a couple of projects lining up that will involve me working away from home.

That said, the Better Half and I have a couple of weeks in August where we've taken the time off work.
The first week we're just going to mooch around the North of England visiting family then we're spending the second week on a Dancing holiday.

(She and I were introduced by a mutual friend, our dancing teacher so we met in a ballroom, and ended up being married in a ballroom)

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

I have a week and a half off later this month, going to help my father out with Wisconsin DeMolay Conclave two weekends from now. Otherwise, with the passing of my future father in law, not sure what that makes him now, we are planning on just making it through the summer and going up to the family cottage which she now has stock in (for lack of a better term) on a nice little pond about a half hour north of where we live. Nice low key stuff

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

I have been in FL for my mothers birthday and the 4th for the last week, heading home tomorrow.

GenCon, a few of the guys and I make it a week long affair and start gaming the Friday night before, head to Indy on Tuesday, get some grub, game, get tickets at will call on Wednesday, game, start the con on Thursday, game... Some how we are never gamed out come the end of the week!

Sept. 5-8 it's fishing on the Wisconsin river with a different group of friends.

It is a busy few months, but with no time off up till now, it is welcome.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

koralas wrote:I have been in FL for my mothers birthday and the 4th for the last week, heading home tomorrow.

GenCon, a few of the guys and I make it a week long affair and start gaming the Friday night before, head to Indy on Tuesday, get some grub, game, get tickets at will call on Wednesday, game, start the con on Thursday, game... Some how we are never gamed out come the end of the week!

Sept. 5-8 it's fishing on the Wisconsin river with a different group of friends.

It is a busy few months, but with no time off up till now, it is welcome.
The Wisconsin River is nice and its always beautiful up here in september suggesting the weather doesn't go to hell

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

i taking the family to myrtle beach next week, yeah. but my inlaws are meeting us there, booh. oh well at least its not gatlingburg TN. all that place is made of is blocks and blocks of tshirt shops, fudge shops and knife shops. thats it.

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

Dracyian wrote:The Wisconsin River is nice and its always beautiful up here in september suggesting the weather doesn't go to hell
Yeah, I've been going on this trip for 5 years now, met the guy who runs it when we moved into a new subdivision. Have seen it sunny and 60's/70's, and 30's with rain. Always get a sturgeon or two, always catch and release since they do not mature until 20, but a good catch, biggest one I had was 46" putting it somewhere near 15 years old.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

koralas wrote:
Dracyian wrote:The Wisconsin River is nice and its always beautiful up here in september suggesting the weather doesn't go to hell
Yeah, I've been going on this trip for 5 years now, met the guy who runs it when we moved into a new subdivision. Have seen it sunny and 60's/70's, and 30's with rain. Always get a sturgeon or two, always catch and release since they do not mature until 20, but a good catch, biggest one I had was 46" putting it somewhere near 15 years old.
I think it was right around a month ago but in Green Bay you could actually see the sturgeon spawning, I heard it was really cool, my boss got the chance to go see it and was caught off guard by how awesome it is. Also have you ever thought of journeying up here in the winter (I know who the hell wants to go to Wisconsin in the winter, the people that live here normally leave some vacation time for the winter so they can enjoy sun shine without -20 windshield tempratures.) To partake in sturgeon spearing?

Also you will have to try to make it to GaryCon up here one year, I went to my first one by chance this past March and had an absolute blast, met Steve and Tim walked away with a lot of C&C goodies

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

Dracyian wrote:I think it was right around a month ago but in Green Bay you could actually see the sturgeon spawning, I heard it was really cool, my boss got the chance to go see it and was caught off guard by how awesome it is. Also have you ever thought of journeying up here in the winter (I know who the hell wants to go to Wisconsin in the winter, the people that live here normally leave some vacation time for the winter so they can enjoy sun shine without -20 windshield tempratures.) To partake in sturgeon spearing?

Also you will have to try to make it to GaryCon up here one year, I went to my first one by chance this past March and had an absolute blast, met Steve and Tim walked away with a lot of C&C goodies
I've been in GB for a couple of preseason games (one Bears, one Redskins my two fav. teams), the stadium is great, it didn't hurt that my friend and her brother and cousins have their families season tickets, row 8 behind the visitors bench on the 50... Ah I digress. With the right gear -20 with windchill isn't all that bad.

And you know, I was all set to go to GaryCon this year, but work got in the way. What stinks, is I could drive there to go even just one day, but had to work through the weekend. :(

Can't wait for GenCon though, the count down is on. T-36 days!!!

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

I'm not going to be able to make it to GenCon this year, i will have to go next year, but I am looking forward to Gamehole Con this november down in Mad-town

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Wisconsin is well-represented here, isn't it?! :)

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

kreider204 wrote:Wisconsin is well-represented here, isn't it?! :)
LOL, no I am in Illinois, grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago, live in the far south west suburbs now.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

koralas wrote:
LOL, no I am in Illinois, grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago, live in the far south west suburbs now.
I was thinking seskis and Dracyian (and me), but Illinois will work too. :)

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

kreider204 wrote:
koralas wrote:
I was thinking seskis and Dracyian (and me), but Illinois will work too. :)
By the looks of it we aren't terribly far apart from each other really, and as far as my presence on the boards, indirectly it is realls Seskis' fault for running such a damn good game and getting me addicted off my first session, its kinda like that first line of Coke, from there everything normally goes down hill in such a rapid fashion

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Ya, I think you guys are just an hour from me. One of these days, I'll actually hit a Con, and try to get in on one of John's games.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

I'm not terribly experienced with different Gms but I feel whole heartedly that when John runs a game he embodies the soul of tabletop rpg and C&C making it fun inventive and allowing you to kill yourself in whatever fashion you see fit :P