Clark Peterson of Necromancer Games getting beat up...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Clark Peterson of Necromancer Games getting beat up...

Post by Treebore »

in real life for being a gamer and a Judge...

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/d ... ame-hobby/
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Clark Peterson of Necromancer Games getting beat up...

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:in real life for being a gamer and a Judge...

He'll be fine as long as he wasn't engaged in stuff while at work.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Hal G
Red Cap

Post by Hal G »

I read the entire thing and I call it sour grapes, I did not like the outcome of my case, can we find something, anything to get this fixed....

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Arduin wrote:

They can prove he made posts during working hours. Loooong posts.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:
Arduin wrote:

They can prove he made posts during working hours. Loooong posts.
That's not good. At best he'll get an official reprimand (thus ending any career advancement) or, get nailed for violating employee computer usage rules (if they were breached) AND get reprimanded.

Time for him to lawyer up.

House Rules

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

He should have done what a lot of other judges do...go soft on situations when high society breaks the law significantly. How many judges get punished for that? Anyway, I saw this link on fb the other day, but had no clue as to the details.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

tylermo wrote:He should have done what a lot of other judges do...go soft on situations when high society breaks the law significantly. How many judges get punished for that?
Wrong area of law... Also, taking taxpayer $ without working is near criminal. The guy shouldn't be a judge. He lacks ... judgement.

House Rules

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Arduin wrote:
tylermo wrote:He should have done what a lot of other judges do...go soft on situations when high society breaks the law significantly. How many judges get punished for that?
Wrong area of law... Also, taking taxpayer $ without working is a near criminal. The guy shouldn't be a judge. He lacks ... judgement.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

My comment was made before I read the story. Surprisingly, my non-smartphone allowed me to do so. At a glance, I can see it from both sides. However, that Tyner fellow making some sort of..."we don't know if he's Orcus, Demon Lord or Judge Peterson...." Give me a break. Perhaps, said tongue in cheek. That said, it reeks of that 1980's "too caught up in the game, losing grip with reality" nonsense. Not to be insensitive, but somebody call the team who made Monsters and Mazes (the 1980's tv movie featuring a pre-Forrest Gump Tom Hanks). This is their chance to make millions from Monsters and Mazes 2: The Judgement of Orcus, Demon Lord! Hell, maybe Tom Hanks could return to a part of his resume he'd like to forget. In all seriousness, I see this going poorly for Clark. This will be the equivalent (in some eyes) of sitting on the bench and being a drug user. In the end, one man's jay-walking can be treated like murder one, while some other guy gets off the hook for doing far worse.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

tylermo wrote:In the end, one man's jay-walking can be treated like murder one, while some other guy gets off the hook for doing far worse.
Bottom line. He ripped off the taxpayers. Just because not everyone who does bad gets nailed, is NO reason to let anyone one off. That way leads to implosion. Highly illogical.

House Rules

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Arduin, I'm in agreement with your point. :) I wasn't suggesting there should be no consequences. The jay-walking/murder one example happens in the p0litic@l arena all the time. Not getting into particulars, as discussing those sort of things is against forum rules. On a less than serious note...thank God this didn't happen in the mid-80's, Pat Pulling and her anti-D&D bunch would have been all over this.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I know that if I sit on my cell phone at work and text when I am supposed to be working I will get fired. Also, if I sit in the office and play on the computer when I am supposed to be working I will get fired. Beyond that, if my hobbies interfere with my work life I will get in trouble and possibly get fired. I don't care who you are or how much street cred you have in gaming circles; doing things like this on company time (be it a private company or public work) is a no-no and if you get caught you better be ready to take the consequences.

Clark messed up, and even though the article is biased, there is no way I can defend his actions.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Well, I wouldn't expect any street cred in the rpg industry to matter. Let's face it, there are more people (young, old, and in between) who have no clue who Gary Gygax was. As for internet, texting, and the like at work, there are some jobs that allow for it. Suffice it to say, his didn't. I remember a lesser judge (in my neck of the woods) who was widely-rumored to be involved with drugs and who was said to be famous for going easy on his buddies from the small town societal elite. Either way, his reputation caught up with him as he wasn't re-elected. Somebody suggested lawyering up. That's what this guy did, and at least Clark has that to fall back on.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, he is going to take a hit for doing all that posting while "on the job", but what I think he is most concerned with is the two cases that are going to be made against him not actually doing his job while up on the bench, rather than in his office.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Treebore wrote:Yeah, he is going to take a hit for doing all that posting while "on the job", but what I think he is most concerned with is the two cases that are going to be made against him not actually doing his job while up on the bench, rather than in his office.
I agree with you on that one treebore. Maybe its just my personal feeling, but if you are a salary as long as it doesn't interfere with work in any manner, including completing all of his work in an efficient timely manner, then to me no harm no foul. But I would be livid if it were my tax dollars paying him to sit on the bench when he is to be doing his job and he was posting instead he deserves at least part of the consequences that his actions have brought upon himself

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:Yeah, he is going to take a hit for doing all that posting while "on the job", but what I think he is most concerned with is the two cases that are going to be made against him not actually doing his job while up on the bench, rather than in his office.

That's the point. That's where he has shown that he is unfit for such high responsibility government position. Clerk work is probably more suited to his temperament...

House Rules

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

tylermo wrote:On a less than serious note...thank God this didn't happen in the mid-80's, Pat Pulling and her anti-D&D bunch would have been all over this.
No doubt! They would have brought back tar & feathering. BTW, her shenanigans were a great boon for the hobby. Too bad the TSR execs of the time were incompetent and buckled.

House Rules