Halloween themed adventure module

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Boot Knife
Ungern

Halloween themed adventure module

Post by Boot Knife »

Can anyone reccomend a halloween themed adventure module for 4-8 PC's of 2-4 level? Ravenloft is for 6-8th level I think. The only other one I could come up with is Dungeon Crawl Classics #24: Legend of the Ripper.
Resistance is futile.

ChaosImp
Hlobane Orc

Re: Halloween themed adventure module

Post by ChaosImp »

Hello

There is one called Death frost Doom or even better Rappan Athuk

IMP

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Death Frost Doom is a good choice. Could finish in one session. Certain dread abound.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Just run a Ravenloft that isn't Ravenloft, without Vampires, replacing Strahd with an Intelligent Ghoul or some such. That way, you can run the real Ravenloft when they are of appropriate level. Then come up with a reason as to why they found two castles, in separate locations, presumably, that are identically in construction. That, or if they just leave the Castle unattended, assuming they live through the first run through, become inhabited by Strahd and his ilk.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

1. Most dungeon adventures are Halloween themed already. They take place in dark, cold, wet dungeons filled with monsters. Just turn out the lights and set out some candy corn.
2. Halloween is a great time to try Tainted Lands.
3. Shadows of the Halfling Hall.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Boot Knife
Ungern

Post by Boot Knife »

Thanks for the suggestions. What is Tainted Lands?
Resistance is futile.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

It's the "don't call it Ravenloft" one-time boxed set that uses the C&C rules. It describes a dark and dangerous dimension where the undead and eldritch and monstrous things are much more powerful and numerous and there are several specialized PC classes which balance this out. The game isn't without issues, but if you listen to Jim Ward's intentions over his execution, I think it's interesting. There is an adventure that comes with the setting, and I _think_ it's appropriate for all levels, but don't recall. It's available on RPGNow.

For that matter, what is more Halloween friendly than The Haunted Highlands? That setting also has several adventures of different levels. DB1 (Haunted Highlands) describes the setting and DB2 (Crater of Umeshti) is an adventure for levels 3-5. These along with other adventures and supplements are now available in a 2 volume set.

Boot Knife
Ungern

Post by Boot Knife »

I'm currently running the haunted highlands setting but was looking for something with vampires, werewolves, and other classical halloween monsters.
Resistance is futile.

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

There needs to be more Universal/Castle/Troma/Hammer Films type stuff in the D&D world. Lots of other RPGs are built around the idea, but there's not enough for C&C / D&D. But if you have a good idea, write it up and share it!

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Or my intentionally Halloween module 'Night of the Spirits', which is designed around the ancient 'Three Nights' that used to be celebrated in early times in Celtic Europe. Seeing there were not many actual Halloween adventures out there I wrote this one a few years ago and it already has had five-star reviews and constant good feedback from all. I do plan on writing more Halloween-themed adventures and even a Mayday one as well.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Celticgamer wrote:Or my intentionally Halloween module 'Night of the Spirits', which is designed around the ancient 'Three Nights' that used to be celebrated in early times in Celtic Europe. Seeing there were not many actual Halloween adventures out there I wrote this one a few years ago and it already has had five-star reviews and constant good feedback from all. I do plan on writing more Halloween-themed adventures and even a Mayday one as well.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/139 ... rers_id=86

"Night of the Sprits" LOLOLOL!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Yeah...I think they need to correct that typo!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Thanks, I'm going to dig up Night of the Spirits and have a look. Been getting so much stuff lately I haven't had time to see what I have.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Just avoid the cheap 'Made in China' knock off out there called 'Night of the Sprits'....

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Some how, I've never noticed that mod :oops:

It does look like something that is right up my alley. So add it to the "boy, my wife isgoing to get annoyed at me" list :D
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:Some how, I've never noticed that mod :oops:

It does look like something that is right up my alley. So add it to the "boy, my wife isgoing to get annoyed at me" list :D
It flew under my radar until yesterday as well, so don't feel too bad. As for the "annoyed at me list" we avoid that by giving each other a private budget each month. Since we both tend to spend money on things that annoy each other, giving each other a budget that we cannot complain about was a good idea.

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Post by Michael Montalto »

I agree that Ravenloft, when properly prepared for by the CK/DM is an outstanding adventure to run for Halloween. It's quite possibly the best of the best in my opinion.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Michael Montalto wrote:I agree that Ravenloft, when properly prepared for by the CK/DM is an outstanding adventure to run for Halloween. It's quite possibly the best of the best in my opinion.

For a few years I was running Ravenloft online every October/November for the C&C players around here. One year, I had so many participants I ran 3 groups. It is definitely one of the best modules ever written. nwelte has been known to run it as well.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I know I say this for all modules but with a slight change of dressing: S1 - Tomb of Horrors makes for an easy Samhain killhouse.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

The Tainted Lands can be scaled down for lower levels, Just keep them outside of the castles and in the towns with the other inhabitants and make sure they know they can run away

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Tainted Lands definitely has a the feel of Ravenloft. Its certainly deadly. I was the only player, the whole weekend, of the Tainted Lands premiere at Troll Con, that survived Jim Wards games. As I recall, over 30 people played in his Tainted Lands games that weekend. So the lethality is definitely there.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Treebore wrote:Tainted Lands definitely has a the feel of Ravenloft. Its certainly deadly. I was the only player, the whole weekend, of the Tainted Lands premiere at Troll Con, that survived Jim Wards games. As I recall, over 30 people played in his Tainted Lands games that weekend. So the lethality is definitely there.
I feel Tree that is one helluva feat

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Dracyian wrote:
Treebore wrote:Tainted Lands definitely has a the feel of Ravenloft. Its certainly deadly. I was the only player, the whole weekend, of the Tainted Lands premiere at Troll Con, that survived Jim Wards games. As I recall, over 30 people played in his Tainted Lands games that weekend. So the lethality is definitely there.
I pulled a classic maneuver in order to survive. I ran away.

:lol:

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Treebore wrote:
Dracyian wrote:
I pulled a classic maneuver in order to survive. I ran away.

:lol:
Awesome, I'm pretty sure that is the only hope one has for survival in a Jim Ward game

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Yeah, Death Frost Doom would be good. Really, just about any Lamentations of the Flame Princess module is going to be filled with creepy, unsettling stuff.

The 2e Ravenloft module, Night of the Walking Dead might also work. But it’s for PCs levels 1 – 3, so if you have a significant amount of 4th level characters, it might be too easy.

Boot Knife
Ungern

Post by Boot Knife »

All of my PC's will be 2nd level, but there are 8 of them. Thats why I was looking at 2-4 level adventure. I will definetly look into Tainted Lands. Death Frost Doom seemed a little out of place for Haunted Highlands in the Spring. We started the campaign in late March (after Gary Con) and the game time has only been a fort night. I did look at night of the walking dead but we are starting beneath the dome, which uses lots of zombies. Some of our random encounters have been zombies and I feel as if I'm going to be burnt out on them. Their last encounter with zombie goblins infected one of them, so I think they are weary of them. I will also look into Night of the Sprits. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Keep em coming.
Resistance is futile.

Boot Knife
Ungern

Post by Boot Knife »

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to say that I'm fairly new to CKing. I don't think I'm ready to or know how to effectivly scale down Ravenloft to 3rd level.
Resistance is futile.

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Post by Michael Montalto »

Boot Knife wrote:Oh yeah, I almost forgot to say that I'm fairly new to CKing. I don't think I'm ready to or know how to effectively scale down Ravenloft to 3rd level.
An easy way to bring your characters immediately up in level in a way that is palatable and reasonable is to have them all enter a dream state and THEN play the higher level adventure. You can do this by a multitude of ways such as having a Wizard that they are unaware of cast a spell on them, perhaps a master Illusionist as well. Do not explain anything to them. Simply hand out character sheets with pre-gens and explain enough background information to them to bring them into the story. So if you have a group of 8 players who are all second level, have them run into the master Illusionist that I mentioned above and enter their dream state. Run the adventure as you normally would for that level. Then (and this is critical), award the players half experience while running the adventure when it is concluded.

It's a FANTASTIC way to easily move in and out of other stories without disrupting your existing game.

I hope this is helpful.

-mM

Boot Knife
Ungern

Post by Boot Knife »

Wow! I like that a lot. Thanks for the info.
Resistance is futile.