Queen of the Spiders (C&C)

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Michael Montalto
Ungern

Queen of the Spiders (C&C)

Post by Michael Montalto »

Does anyone know of a Queen of the Spiders conversion that exists today? I'm mapping out my adventures for my group and even though it's relatively higher level (8-14) I would like the ability to incorporate it into my game as it's widely regarded as the greatest super adventure of all time.

-mM

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Queen of the Spiders (C&C)

Post by Treebore »

I just converted it as I ran it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Treebore wrote:I just converted it as I ran it.

Yes, 1e to C&C is super easy.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Michael Montalto
Ungern

Is there a document that shows how to convert 1E to C&C anywhere? I don't recall it in the PHB or the CKG.

I also didn't know that the original adventures were created in 1E and the super module was created in 2E. Is there a large difference between the two or are they basically just a combined grouping with a better cover in a single offering? The reason that I ask is that I see on RPGNow.com you can purchase the individual 1E modules, but you can't purchase GDQ1-7: Queen of the Spiders. (I did in fact find a PDF version of that super module 2E version but if you review it carefully, there are several pages with errors and bad scans on it).

-mM

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Michael Montalto wrote:Is there a document that shows how to convert 1E to C&C anywhere? I don't recall it in the PHB or the CKG.
Nor would you. That's a can of legal mess.

There is very little in the way of a playable conversion as opposed to a rules-heavy one. Which do you want?

Basically, use C&C monsters and spells and items. If they don't exist, conversion of creatures requires assigning Primes. Can use them basically as-is otherwise. Spells don't take a lot of tweaking.

As for 2e.... depends on how much you care about the differences between it and 1st edition. Some care a lot. Others not at all.

So, the end result always requires you to answer -- how close to actual rules do you want or do you just want something that works?

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Michael Montalto wrote:Is there a document that shows how to convert 1E to C&C anywhere? I don't recall it in the PHB or the CKG.
That wouldn't be legally advisable. My comment was predicated on having a good familiarity with 1st Ed. If one has that plus a working familiarity with C&C you can literally do it on the fly with C&C's two core books.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

I'ts pretty straightforward and can be done on the fly. Remember most physical monster have all physical primes, mental/spell casting monsters will have mental primes, and an occasional rascal will have both prime(e.g. pseudodragons, vampires).

Keep in mind that C&C characters are more similar to 2e character classes, power wise. So, if the module is already 2e you should be good, but if the monster is not in the C&C books (and with the advent of classic monsters many of them will be) always up 1e monsters to 2e monsters. Plus, the 2e monster manual is an excellent resource anyway

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Plus you need to change the ac. It should be an easy change.

Something like subtract the 1e or 2e AC from 20 and get the C&C AC. But, like others have said, that is easy and can be done on the fly.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Someone should put out a "OSRIC to C&C" conversion doc. Avoids the whole legal issue while satisfying the goal of the poster.

Having said that, I agree that conversion is easy and I do it on the fly.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Kayolan
Lore Drake

Post by Kayolan »

Converting what a spell caster has prepared into something that is in line with C&C can be a bit time consuming, but other than that it doesn't take much work.

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

I agree with the other posters. I just finished running my first module in C&C (Keep on the Borderlands) and converted it as I went. I think as long as you are comfortable with the material and storyline, conversion takes very little time. As long as the gameplay flows and the group is having fun, that's all that matters.

Michael Montalto
Ungern

I'm currently running ToEE and my party just got to Hommlet. I'm finding that conversion is insanely easy thus far for 1E adventures. When I have a question about monsters, I go to the C&C Monsters & Treasures book and look up the stats and background information.

I would go so far as to say that I've been surprised at just how easy it has been doing the conversion. Going on the fly is quite possible.

Spells, yes, that will take a little more work, but I'm not intimidated by it at all.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Michael Montalto wrote:I'm currently running ToEE and my party just got to Hommlet. I'm finding that conversion is insanely easy thus far for 1E adventures. When I have a question about monsters, I go to the C&C Monsters & Treasures book and look up the stats and background information.

I would go so far as to say that I've been surprised at just how easy it has been doing the conversion. Going on the fly is quite possible.

Spells, yes, that will take a little more work, but I'm not intimidated by it at all.
If you really want to fly, don't bother with the C&C stats. Just use the stat block in the module. All you have to do is flip the AC, decide on primes, and convert the movement rate. It's not critical that the orc in TOEE be identical to an orc in the C&C M&T. All the players see is a monster. They don't see a 1E monster versus a C&C monster.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

koralas
Ulthal

Post by koralas »

Buttmonkey wrote:If you really want to fly, don't bother with the C&C stats. Just use the stat block in the module. All you have to do is flip the AC, decide on primes, and convert the movement rate. It's not critical that the orc in TOEE be identical to an orc in the C&C M&T. All the players see is a monster. They don't see a 1E monster versus a C&C monster.
+1 to this.

Spells that do not exist in C&C, I just use the description in AD&D and adjudicate each situation.

Some will decry that there are differences in the AD&D and C&C monsters, and you can use the C&C equivalents if you want, or just chalk it up to the character not knowing everything about every possible permutation of creatures in the game. At it's base, the most difficult thing will be determining the primes for the creature, but don't worry about that to much, just look through the M&T or better, Classic Monsters, and you will get a quick feel on how to judge that.

Challenge Levels for different tasks within the game, finding traps, removing traps, spotting something hidden or at the edge of sight, and the like can also be challenging, but break it down into the most simple steps. The chest of an orc chieftain (say CL2) will be much easier to pick the lock on than that of the iron lockbox of the merchant (CL5) that the orc band had raided. One thing you can do is base the CL on the "level" of the adventure, maybe 3/4 the "level" (round down) as a base to work from on many tasks relating to something someone could make more difficult, such as locks, puzzles (of course always let the players try to figure out the puzzle on their own before resorting to a die roll), and such. For other things, like jumping, climbing, swimming, and the like, use your best judgement.

As a side note, I am working on creating a full set of tables for all C&C monsters, and will use that to create a stat block generator that will eventually integrate into my random dungeon and wilderness generators. As I am thinking about this post, it could also be useful in on the fly conversions.