Ultimate Grimtooths Traps is

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

Ultimate Grimtooths Traps is

Post by Treebore »

starting to arrive, but I have yet to get mine. :( Maybe tomorrow...

http://jrl755.blogspot.com/2016/03/the- ... ction.html
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Re: Ultimate Grimtooths Traps is

Post by serleran »

Have not received mine, yet. I am starting to worry.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Look what finally arrived...

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Congrats! I only saw Grimtooth's once and that was back in the 80s. A guy moved to our town and had a Grimtooth's book (I had never heard of such a thing) and an IBM PC (wait, there was something out there other than Commodore 64s and Apple IIs?!). I remember looking through the Grimtooth's book and thinking it looked pretty cool, although I couldn't see how to get any use out of it in actual play. It seemed like it should be on the humor shelf instead of the gaming shelf at Waldenbooks (if they would stock Grimtooth's (or Runequest or Tunnels & Trolls or Arduin, etc.) in my home town). I was a little tempted to get in on the Kickstarter, but I couldn't bring myself to spend the cash.

The cover there makes me jealous. Enjoy!
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Oh, some of the traps are on the "joke" side of things, but most are very plausible. I once made up a tomb complex with nothing but traps from these books. The two thieves of the party either didn't leave alive, or leave on their own feet. IE they were carried out by their party members. They didn't return until they were 9th level, and then, thanks to flying, Spider Climb, etc... they got through rather easily. So that is the real weakness of these traps, they really only work on low level parties. The more magic they have, the easier it gets for them to completely by pass the vast majority of these.

Of course, I can offset that by adding in magic dead areas, Dispel Magic Glyphs, and a few Disjunction traps. :twisted:

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Oh, some of the traps are on the "joke" side of things, but most are very plausible. I once made up a tomb complex with nothing but traps from these books. The two thieves of the party either didn't leave alive, or leave on their own feet. IE they were carried out by their party members. They didn't return until they were 9th level, and then, thanks to flying, Spider Climb, etc... they got through rather easily. So that is the real weakness of these traps, they really only work on low level parties. The more magic they have, the easier it gets for them to completely by pass the vast majority of these.

Of course, I can offset that by adding in magic dead areas, Dispel Magic Glyphs, and a few Disjunction traps. :twisted:

Which is why I'm sooooo glad that in your game we are playing a traveler based game and not a D&D derivative game !
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lurker wrote:
Treebore wrote:Oh, some of the traps are on the "joke" side of things, but most are very plausible. I once made up a tomb complex with nothing but traps from these books. The two thieves of the party either didn't leave alive, or leave on their own feet. IE they were carried out by their party members. They didn't return until they were 9th level, and then, thanks to flying, Spider Climb, etc... they got through rather easily. So that is the real weakness of these traps, they really only work on low level parties. The more magic they have, the easier it gets for them to completely by pass the vast majority of these.

Which is why I'm sooooo glad that in your game we are playing a traveler based game and not a D&D derivative game !
But they would work even better in a Traveller game! No magic to bypass them with!

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

Yeah, not so fast, there is a sci fi trap section.

The book is freaking huge. I think it weighs more than Traveller 5e or DCC RPG.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

RunningLaser
Mist Elf

Post by RunningLaser »

Yeah, that book is a monster! How are you liking it so far?

maximus
Ulthal

Post by maximus »

I had never heard of Grimtooth until recently. The hobby shops I frequented in Chicago stocked eveything back in the early '80s when I was playing a lot, but I was buying only T$R stuff and probably didn't realize there were alternatives or additions.

Is this worth the $$ for gaming purposes or just a good read?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

maximus wrote:I had never heard of Grimtooth until recently. The hobby shops I frequented in Chicago stocked eveything back in the early '80s when I was playing a lot, but I was buying only T$R stuff and probably didn't realize there were alternatives or additions.

If you like traps. Much better than both Traps and Treachery books from the d20 era.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

maximus wrote:I had never heard of Grimtooth until recently. The hobby shops I frequented in Chicago stocked eveything back in the early '80s when I was playing a lot, but I was buying only T$R stuff and probably didn't realize there were alternatives or additions.

It filled with hundreds of traps. How useful it would be to you depends on how many of the traps you use. Plus it is also an enjoyable read. Its interspersed with decent to great humor, because Grimtooth, and Grimtina, are real characters, and are used for "grim humor" throughout. I enjoyed the books back in the day, and this is definitely an enjoyable read to me.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Mine just arrived and, to fill in the blank on the subject: "Ultimate Grimtooths Traps is: heavy." It's a huge book and, as above noted, filled with both useful information and entertaining material. From a GM point of view, I'd say it's a worthwhile investment, since it provides lots of content for use in any campaign with a decent amount of dungeon crawl-style adventures. Apparently, there's going to be a follow-up for Dungeon Crawl Classics of a Grimtooth-themed world setting.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I received my copies.