Bring Back the Christmas Ghost Story!

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
clavis123
Ulthal

Bring Back the Christmas Ghost Story!

Post by clavis123 »

Christmas time is here again. It's the season for decorations and songs. Eggnog and cookies. Little men moving in the night, and a spirit of justice flying through the air. There's darkness around those Christmas lights, and it's always been there.

Americans have largely forgotten the tradition of the Christmas ghost story, but it was once a vital part of our celebration. We love “A Christmas Carol”, but fail to acknowledge the tradition of Yuletide horror that it represents. But, what could be more appropriate on a cold winter's night than to shudder at a chilling tale? When our ancestors shivered from the cold, they also told stories to send shivers down their spines!

This year, have a truly traditional Christmas. Help bring back the Christmas ghost story! Remember that elves are kin to goblins, and Krampus comes too. It isn't just the living who yearn to be with their families, and mischievous sprites still lurk in your Christmas tree.

Look outside. What left such strange tracks in the new-fallen snow?

Horror doesn't end at Halloween!

Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Bring Back the Christmas Ghost Story!

Post by Lurker »

Link by link ... chain by chain ....

Yes, despite deep faith, I have a statue of Marley from the Carol on the table next to the Christmas tree. It is a good warning about greed to my little ones.

Plus a good scare can be cathartic so, bring on Krampus. and remember, part of the Christmas story is that every boy under 2 years old in Bethlehem was murdered by order of the king. So, there is a place for wailing and tears in the story too!
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I choose Yuletide horror! During the holiday season, I tend to run adventures that have a festive mood, but with some sort of scary or horrific underpining. 'Tis the season.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

clavis123
Ulthal

Post by clavis123 »

The stories of M.R. James were largely intended to be read aloud as Christmas ghost stories. Here's a link to the LibreVox recordings of "Ghost Stories of an Antiquary": https://librivox.org/ghost-stories-of-a ... m-r-james/

The BBC used to broadcast readings and adaptations of famous ghost stories (particularly James) at Christmas, including a series of Christopher Lee reading such classics as "The Stalls of Barchester Cathedral"!
Daniel James Hanley
Creator of Ghastly Affair, "The Gothic Game of Romantic Horror".
Player's Manual Now Available on DriveThruRPG and Amazon
Reader discretion is advised.