I have to wonder about "Guests" to these forums...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Treebore
Mogrl

I have to wonder about "Guests" to these forums...

Post by Treebore »

Are they actual gamers interested in C&C, are they spammers, or something else entirely?

If they are actual gamers I wish they would create accounts and start asking questions and sharing their ideas.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Re: I have to wonder about "Guests" to these forums...

Post by Penny-Whistle »

When I visit a forum and choose to join as a guest I am thinking of my privacy meaning I don't want to share my email address or provide any other personal info.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Penny-Whistle wrote:When I visit a forum and choose to join as a guest I am thinking of my privacy meaning I don't want to share my email address or provide any other personal info.
Ah, yeah. I don't worry about that as much, but thats because of all the other measures I take for my privacy, such as using a VPN, and other software options recommended by the EFF. According to the EFF, I am about as invisible as you can get on the internet.

Edit:

https://www.eff.org/
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Never mind the guests. They should be allowed only to view, but not post unless they register. Then again, we have a registered user who registered simply to spam his gambling site. It's been two weeks since mods were notified of this person's presence, and his posts are still up.

This does not reflect well upon the Trolls at all.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

PM Rigon as to the spammer, and where the spam post is at. I would have PMed him myself, but I never saw the spam post.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

I already reported the post, so he should have received it. And, it isn't one post, but all of them from the poster. I'll PM him, but it's bloody ridiculous that we have to jump through such hoops to get things done, especially when there is a moderator staff. Once upon a time I would have taken care of the issue myself as I had that authority, but it seems some people here at the time had really thin skins and didn't like s#!^ I was saying.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Traveller wrote:I already reported the post, so he should have received it. And, it isn't one post, but all of them from the poster. I'll PM him, but it's bloody ridiculous that we have to jump through such hoops to get things done, especially when there is a moderator staff. Once upon a time I would have taken care of the issue myself as I had that authority, but it seems some people here at the time had really thin skins and didn't like s#!^ I was saying.
Personally, I've wondered why they never gave me mod powers, since I am likely the one on these forums the most, so most likely to catch issues. As it is, I just PM Rigon when I see an issue.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Yeah, sorry guys about missing that one. I've been crazy busy for the past month or so (play/major home renovation/3 jobs). I'll do better in the future.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Isn't just here either. We've had a run of bogus accounts on the Society forums over the last week as well that AC and I have been dealing with.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Go0gleplex wrote:Isn't just here either. We've had a run of bogus accounts on the Society forums over the last week as well that AC and I have been dealing with.

According to the forum notifications, its your B-day today, so Happy Birthday!

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Treebore wrote:
Go0gleplex wrote:Isn't just here either. We've had a run of bogus accounts on the Society forums over the last week as well that AC and I have been dealing with.

According to the forum notifications, its your B-day today, so Happy Birthday!
Thanks Tree. 51...hard to believe I've been gaming since I was 9. :)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

DMMike
Unkbartig

Post by DMMike »

Yeah, Happy BD, GP!

Not to apologize for the Trolls (again) but I think most people's emphasis is moving to Facebook. I hate that, as I prefer forums to FB but its the facts. :(

GM Mike
The Save for Half Podcast: Old School RPGs Reviewed
http://www.saveforhalf.com

Victorious: Steampunk Adventure in the Age of SuperMankind
http://www.victoriousrpg.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DMMike wrote:Yeah, Happy BD, GP!

Not to apologize for the Trolls (again) but I think most people's emphasis is moving to Facebook. I hate that, as I prefer forums to FB but its the facts. :(

GM Mike
I quit FB years ago, mostly because I found out I didn't like communicating with my extended family members. Plus other issues, but rather than create even more drama by pruning my friends/family lists, I just migrated to G+, which I am happy to say, NONE of my family even uses.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

I want nothing at all to do with my family, so I deleted them. They can't search for me unless we have a mutual friend, and my home page is blank to them.

My facebook is for the few people I want around me. The rest can kiss my a$$.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I'll say it is a good thing I do not have mod powers outside one forum.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Traveller wrote:I already reported the post, so he should have received it. And, it isn't one post, but all of them from the poster. I'll PM him, but it's bloody ridiculous that we have to jump through such hoops to get things done, especially when there is a moderator staff. Once upon a time I would have taken care of the issue myself as I had that authority, but it seems some people here at the time had really thin skins and didn't like s#!^ I was saying.
I'll see if I can deal with it for you. Honestly, I can't recall getting a "ping" about this, but I also don't visit as often as I used to. I'm such a slacker, and I didn't see the gambling site post. :oops:

EDIT: I see that there were a couple of reports if I click on the Mod Settings page. I thought it would give me a heads-up otherwise.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

To me, "dealing with it" means banning the spammer. But at least the links will be removed.

*sigh*...I put my foot in my mouth in this thread, because anything related to site administration and moderation I should have taken to PM.

I'm a moderator on a small Android enthusiast site (androidtablets.net), and of a staff of three moderators and one admin, the admin and myself visit daily, sometimes twice daily. The other two aren't heard from for months at a time. Either real life got in the way, they lost interest, or they moderate other sites similar to ours. I get that, I really do, but even they get notified by email when someone reports a post. I'm surprised you didn't, which makes me wonder if the notification system is bugged in the backend, requiring a web admin to fix.

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

I owned and ran a small forum for several years. It is not, in my experience, uncommon to have guests outnumber registered users at any given time. As far as spammers, requiring registration activation seems to weed most of them out. It requires an extra step or for the admins, but if the site is fairly low traffic, and new registrations aren't too common, it should be easily manageable. Well, there's my two cents that no one asked for.
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I own/admin 3 G+ communities, and I imagine the fact that I am able to look at applicants profiles prior to allowing them to join is a big help.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Traveller wrote:To me, "dealing with it" means banning the spammer. But at least the links will be removed.
Well, I worked through both posts that had been reported, but neither one looked quite like what you described. And I agree -- when I "deal with it" I both delete the posts and nuke the spammer. Let me know if there is another thread or post that I've missed somehow. 8-)
Marv / Finarvyn

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

finarvyn wrote:Let me know if there is another thread or post that I've missed somehow. 8-)
Rigon nuked the links, but couldn't nuke the spammer. You apparently nuked the spammer. :D

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Traveller wrote:
finarvyn wrote:Let me know if there is another thread or post that I've missed somehow. 8-)
Rigon nuked the links, but couldn't nuke the spammer. You apparently nuked the spammer. :D
Teamwork! 8-)
Marv / Finarvyn

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Might want to see if the spammer's other ten posts were still around. When I reported this one to Rigon I reported the user ID, because every single post the spammer made had that link.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Traveller wrote:Might want to see if the spammer's other ten posts were still around. When I reported this one to Rigon I reported the user ID, because every single post the spammer made had that link.
I think I deleted all of his posts.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007