Movies you liked that nobody else did.

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
old school gamer
Red Cap

Movies you liked that nobody else did.

Post by old school gamer »

So as the title says what movies did you like that other people called terrible but you have to admit that you at least didn't despise as much. I will start.

Conan the Destroyer:
So I kind of like this movie. It isn't as good as the first one Conan the Barbarian but considering that the first movie really misrepresented the literary Conan I had problem with the next movie. It had more of an ensemble cast instead just three characters I actually felt that it was more like a D&D movie then the first one. Sure it had some silliness what with Grace Jones being scared of rats and the Thief character giving clueless advice about sex I still liked it.

Lost in Space (1998):
This is gets a lot of flak for being also silly and campy but really most people think camp when they think of Lost in Space. Sure the first season of the series was more serious but that is not what is foremost in peoples mind when they think of the series and I felt that the movie represented that well. I also really like the Netflix series as well. Oh, and the body armor Major West used was pretty cool.

So tell me what you think?

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Movies you liked that nobody else did.

Post by Lurker »

It took me a while to find a good answer on this one.

There are a lot of old movies I liked, back in the day, but I can't say I still like them for sure since I haven't seen them in YEARS. Plus, back then I didn't pay attention to what 'everyone' liked and was surrounded by friend with similar interests etc. So, the part of 'nobody else did' may have been skewed in memory to me and my gaming friends liking the same thing and not remembering that no one 'normal' like them.

However, looking at a more current movies, and talking with my wife, who HATEs these two (and reading reviews she is in the majority opinion), I'll pick these 2

Alien Prometheus and Alien Covenant.

I like them both. They are good call back to the original Alien movies (at least the first 2 that were good - #3 was iffy at best & # 4 sucked, and don't get me started on AvP movies ...) Even the little bird toy on the bridge of the ship. A little Easter egg like that has to be worth points !

They are both visually good movies with that original Allen feel. I'll admit they aren't perfect, but I do like them.

Prometheus sets up some good questions and is a good reintroduction to the Alien world/setting.

Covenant set out to give some answers (I agree it takes an easy way out to get those answers and could have gone a different route and been even better), and it toys with that original Alien feel especially the end of the movie. Plus, what is more terrifying an Alien monster, or a android that his theme song is Wagner's 'As the Gods enter Valhalla' ????
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society