A Day in the Life - Yggsburgh

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Now that everyone has gathered, the Count gets up and stands in front of the fire and begins to address his fellow magi.

The storm is coming! begins Rhuveinus looking at each of them. As you know I hope to reform the Mystic Enclave. Why? Its more than Umbrians amassing. More than Mogrl being sited in Outremere. More than Crna Ruk assassins appearing in large cities!

He waits a moment and then loudly proclaims, Unklars minions are growing! We must do something and we must act quickly to prepare ourselves! looking first at Aldadius and then some of the others.

Fire and smoke have begun to emanate from Aufstrag. Ungern and orcs in the east and goblins riding worgs are everywhere, says the Aldadius very seriously. He takes a sip from his glass and sets it down.

The Wizard Lord, Uvoll Darkturn speaks up, Count Rhuvein, of course we are concerned, but what is it that you wish from us here in Yggsburgh and the Eastmark?

My dear Lord, Uvoll I know how busy you are and as such I dont expect you to go out and personally battle with these evil forces, although that day may come ~ I only hope for your support of my effort to expand the Order of the Mystic Enclave and allow a branch here in Yggsburgh. There is no Mages Guild here and the one in Dunfalcon is weak and filled with fools who only hide in their laboratories and rarely venture out into the world.

But do we need another - Uvoll is cut off by a noise.

Just then a popping sound and slight smoking appears from the center of the room. Suddenly a wizened old crone materializes in front of them, surprising their host and some of the others.

The Count looking unsurprised speaks his greetings in tongue not ever heard in Yggsburgh to the Witch who stands before them. Looking at the ancient women, its clear that she radiates an awesome power that can be felt by all present. Shu-Lien gets up and helps the women to a leather couch.

This is Neegle the Fraonoth!" announces Rhuveinus.

The Lord Uvoll stares at the witch and says, So its true that the Fraonoth still walk among us!

I wondered how she was able to teleport inside this tower. It is strongly protected by powerful magic remarks the Stripped Mage to the wizard next to him.

At that moment, Neegle opens a pouch and scatters something over the table in front of them all.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

In a dark room sat an man. A single blue flame flickered on a candle of red wax. He spoke into it. Stared at it. Uttered words in a forbidden tongue.

He put a finger to the tip of his long nose, scratched the corner of his bloodshot eyes and stopped. Dead still. The flame quit flickering. The heat in the room is oppresive. Beads of sweat start to form on his forhead.

He jerks to look right then left. "A Fraonoth? Here?"

In the black shadow of the room came the sound of feet scuffling. "The time is now my Lord. Is it time now my Lord?" A sickly sweet and smooth whispering voice stated and asked.

"Yes, kill him. Kill them all!"

And like a keen knife slipping from a sheaf came the answer. "I am here but to do your bidding my Lord."

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

The old wizard in the corner withdraws his pipe and stares at the bones that have fallen onto the table, She casts the Bones! And he guzzles the remainder of his drink and signals Rodrigo for a refill.

Neegle studies them and seems to go into a trance-like state and begins to recite

I see Aristobulus and Mordius they return to Aihrde

Unklar will again do the will of Thorax. Rebuilding has begun at Aufstrag

The room is dead silent, all watch the Witch speak and no one moves.

I see the death of Count Rhuveinus!

Shu-Lien shutters and reaches for the Count's hand.

Poseidon will rise from the Ocean and the Mystic Enclave will grow strong again.

After the last pronouncement, the old Witch sags back into the couch and closes her eyes.

Stanton Aldwark looks at Rhuveinus and says, Will these events described come to pass?

Its Aldadius who answers, She sees a future. Not necessarily the one that will unfold, but one that may unfold

My dear Count, are you concerned? speaks the Wizard Lord Uvoll while looking at Shu-Lien and Rhuveinus.

We all shall die, someday, Lord Uvoll. And knowing this I have no fear of it! Only Neegle may live forever, if this evil does not destroy our world. And now let us finish our discussion of the Mystic Enclave. There are some things I must show you all

With that Laroo hands a dark velour bag over to the Count.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Cold clammy sweat covered him. His heart beat hard and breathing was labored. He had been running for hours and it seemed there was no end in sight. The guards spotted Julian on the roof and had pursued him halfway across the city.

True there was five at the start and two had an unfortunate run in with his blade but, the remaining three were much smarter. The one called Gerden was especially cunning. Julian hoped he would not have to face him. Another turn left the guards behind but not for long. Julian kept running.

Another alleyway opened up to him. Julian took it hoping for a chance to escape them this time. Too late. There were guards at either end and closing. Turning sideways he tried to see them as they came. Then he noticed the pile of rags. He looked around the alley recognizing it from rumor. Hoping he was right Julian threw a bag of coins at the rags saying just one thing, " Pit! It's dinner time!"

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

The only light came from the small lantern the gravedigger was using. It was his fifth grave this week. It seemed things were going to get very bad before they got worse. Taking a deep drink from his flask he belched as he knew the only thing he cared about was the coin. Let the rotten bastards of this town all die, he thought.

A sound caused him to start from the pile of dirt he was resting on. The man had come again. He wore a wide brimmed hat that hid his face and a long overcoat. He was a huge man. Over six feet tall and solidly built. The gravedigger knew what he was here for and he shuddered in fear.

The dark man approached the gravedigger and spoke in his deep low voice "You have served me well but I still need more." The gravedigger recoiled but tried to not shake from fear.

"Whatever you say master, wh-whatever you ask." The gravedigger seemed to know what was going to be asked of him but feared to ask the question, " Who shall it be this time my lord?"

The dark man seemed to smile, how the gravedigger could tell was beyond him but it made his blood run cold when he spoke in an almost soothing tone, " Count Dexter has died. He will be the next."

Something clinked at the gravedigger's feet. The gold he was always paid for this kind of work. He bent to get it and when the Gravedigger rose to thank his benfactor the dark man was gone.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

The Count takes the bag and reaches in to pull out a ring which he places on his right hand. The figure of an octopus shines clearly. He turns his palm inward to show everyone the ring.

Some of the mages look upon it with awe.

This is the ring of Aristobulus. It shows the octopus symbol of our patron, Poseidon. looking around the room.

Cerdamont, their host asks, May I ask how you acquired this fantastic magic item, Rhuveinus?

Turm Gewir! replies the Count, referring to Aristobulus former residence of power.

What?, How did . . , No! and other gasps from several of the mages present.

The Wizard Lord Uvoll proclaims, If you have survived a visit to Turm Gewir Count Rhuveinus, then your power and star are ascending! I salute you! Rodrigo pours more of the fire amber into Uvolls goblet as he sits down and holds up his glass as a toast. And you must tell us how you got past the Mogrl and Ungern there!

Frost giants and a copper dragon! My old friend Jarle brought a few of his people from the northlands. Laroo, Shu-Lien and I flew a dragon-back. Luckily, the enemy only occupied the upper level. The will not go deeper. Once the dragon killed the Mogrl with ease, I could descend. The frost giants easily cleansed the rest of the complex, and so I was able to go deeper.

But now Id like you all to listen to my fellow wizard from Botkinburg, said the Count as he nodded to Aldadius, while he went and sat back down between Neegle and Shu-Lien.

Aldadius rises and walks to the fireplace and then turns to address the group:

One of the main objectives of reforming the Mystic Enclave is to co-ordinate and share information between the many sects and orders around Outremere and the rest of Aihrde.

The Lunar Knights, Lothian Clerics, Druids, Imperial Paladins and their orders as well as the Assassin and Thieves guilds and finally the Rangers society and so other organizations ~ are operating every day on Aihrde. It seems they follow their own agendas with little or no care of the mounting evil forces, who, certainly are coordinating their own efforts to spread evil and chaos everywhere.

We hope to liaise with these groups, as well as the free cities and independent kingdoms around our world.

Taking a quick sip from his glass, the wizard continues, These are some of our goals:

Cross train those wizards who may be inclined in the skills and abilities of fighting warriors! Yes they will wield swords and wear mithril and yet retain their spell casting powers.

Share and develop new spells as well as ferret out the many lost or hidden ones of Aristobulus and others.

Find and acquire ancient and powerful artifacts and magical items across the continents of Aihrde. Neegle can aid us greatly in this area. And we hope to find magic items in Castle Zagyg.

And finally, find and destroy any and all evil artifacts or magic items held by any of the minions of Unklar. Aldadius sits down. The other mages present nod or look at each other steeped in thought.

At that moment, Rodrigo and 2 apprentices enter with trays of food and more drink, and the Striped Mage calls out, Time for some refreshment and the group assumes a more informal gathering as most get up to get food and walk around to talk with each other.

Some idle chatter and comments heard around the room:

Ive heard the Lord Mayor is hosting a jousting tournament in honor of the Empress visit That will be exciting

Anyone venturing near Castle Zagyg is a fool! Bulettes and Catoblepas have been spotted in the area

I leave for Garham on the morrow, for a day and a night of fishing How excellent, catfish or gar?

Heh, and I turned him into a frog and he hopped away . . .

And what is our good Sheriff doing about the crime wave?

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Quote:
The wife, for her part, was devising a plan. Desperation was driving her.

Sir Taslo lay on his stomach nearly nude and very vulnerable. Nearly asleep and in some pain, only half listing to the prattling of the homely girl standing next to/over him. Though she was not too comely formed and talked near incessantly her hands could find any knotted muscle no matter how deep or well hidden. She was skilled enough that for a few moments of pain tired sore muscles would be made well again. An exceptionally hard push elicited a deep near animal snarl of a grunt

Lorrd Good Sir. Iffin I were you Id stop riding horses in the deep dark. I see Misses Mosolbys herbs and poltis are working fine and well. Your bruises are turning from a nasty black to a goodly pail yellow right quick. I see your cracked ribs are mending well too. Slowly but well. I dare say you will be missing the next few dances and sure no fine lady misses wont throw you more than a wink or a smile for a good fonight

A change of sides brought a few second of silence and a dull settling of the pain. Then the moment was over as Ilniad dug into more offending muscles and continued talking as much to herself as to the sore Taslo.

I hear good count Rhuvein is sponsoring a new play from a new to here playwrite. Some bumpkin from Strasburg or some such place. I too hear the count hims self is going to act as a common player. Can you imagine

MMMMnnn Groooh was all Sir Taslo could answer with.

Ive heard said it is to celebrate Lady Pryzmyra visiting his countship himself. The play write is supposed to have some goodly skill with pen and words. I was lucky enough to hear a paid actor reciting Wilshires that is the gifted bumpkin play write, poems. I can tell you after a few of those lines all the young lady and even half us lowly misses were all a twitter

Ilniad had worked herself down to Taslios legs and feet. As they were not near as sore as the rest of his bruised body he was able to actually answer. His name is William or Williaham I cant remember which. He hales from Stratford near Botkinburg and those poems as you call them are sonnets.

I was lucky enough to make an introduction with Master Wil the night before my infamous ride. Taslo wisely neglects to mention the 20 pounds of gold invested into Sir Albrights play house. The play is to be a touching tragedy of a goodly fine Scottsman king, what ever that is. As to the counts actine I have heard he is to play the king and that is is a fair actor for a rank amature. Though Im sure anyone will say he is a fine actor if they wish his favor.

Ill give you a bit of news you can gossip about latter. The next play will be on summers eve and should be a comedy of fey magic and love.

Well, well Ill hold that bit of news until Betty Mathen starts braggin again. Now Good Sir it is time to coat those cracked and bruised ribs and re bind them.

Sir Taslo yawned and dozed in a bath of steam. The hurby poltis coating his ribs and the steam mixed to make a tired and sore man verrrrry drowsy. The want for sleep was replaced by fear! In the steam filled room where moment before the young foppish knight had been the sole occupant now there was a second. This new one could hardly be seen as the steam mixed with shadow to hide all but the general form of the new visitor.

Sir Taslo the fake fop, call Belia the Wasted Son by your nobly knighted sire. Spoke the raspy echoed voice. You will do me a favor this night.

Taslo could form no words so he wisely nodded.

A young son of a limping limer and assistant to the drunkard master painter is sick near to death. A deal has been made. Also my sister muse wishes him better. I and my master normally do not deal in deals but my sister has a little power over me. The cost of the healing will be paid to the river shrine. Im not welcomed there so you will be my factor and agent in this. The shadowed figure held out a fine leather bag clinking full of gold and silver.

Taslo though still afraid but more in control of him self slowly held out his hand. Accepting the commission. When the gold filled bag dropped into his hand he some how saw a stiff legged man sitting over his sickly son. The colors of the paint mixing staining his hands and shirt. He also saw the young boy in manhood painting like no other and heard the name Michael called the Angle blessed echo in the back of his mind. When he looked up he was again alone.

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Suddenly, a loud trumpeting and roar can be heard in the distance, announcing the arrival of a winged creature. All chatter ceases and the guests walk to the windows, to see a large copper dragon sweep by and then fly upwards. Seconds later a slight shaking of the tower suggests the dragon has landed on the tower roof.

All look to Cerdamont and then to Count Rhuvein who answers their questioning looks, We shant be gone long, a brief moonlight ride to have a look at Castle Zagyg. Well be back for desert, port and cigars!

Laroo is nowhere to be seen.

Shu-Lien takes the Counts arm as they ascend the spiral staircase that leads to the turret roof. They all watch as the dragon flys up and away to the northwest under a full moon.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

That night finds the Count in the inner receiving court of the Empress Prizmyra.

So you finally decided to honor my wishes and grace us with you presence, Rhuvein?

The Count bowing and down on one knee, looks up and approaches the thrown, Greetings your Imperial Majesty and please accept my humble apologies. Events are such that its difficult to be in many places at one time. I bring you good news, however, says the Count as he takes the Empress hand and kisses it.

The Empress smiles and clearly has a motherly fondness for the Count, Lets hear your news and then I have some for you, my dear Lord ~ Marquis of Frankfort!

The Count drops his jaw then shuts it and bows deeply.

Come, let us talk of things yet to come, says the Empress as she signals the chamberlain who brings a tray of food and drink.

. . .

The next day during the morning hour, heralds trumpet the latest news around Yggsburgh . . .

On this Urthday, in the month of Secunth, in the Yggs Year 96 ~ her Imperial Majesty, the Empress Prizmyra announces the betrothal of her daughter the Royal Highness, Princess Neratite to the Marquis of Frankfort, Lord Rhuveinus Maccabaeus!

Just then a cannon salute commences followed by fire works!

Ghul

Post by Ghul »

Nice use of the East Mark Gaz calendar in your story, Rhuv... good stuff!
Cheers!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Ghul wrote:
Nice use of the East Mark Gaz calendar in your story, Rhuv... good stuff!
Cheers!

Heh, thanks. Of course the announcement in Ascalon would be in Aihrdian years!!

The East Mark Gaz is excellent. You, Gary and the Trolls are to be congratulated!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Rhuvein wrote:
You, Gary and the Trolls are to be congratulated!

Yeah, not trying kiss @$$ or anything, but the East Mark Folio is such a damn good piece of gaming material, it boggles the imagination.

Some people will disagreeand say that there is not enough "pop-bang" in color, artwork, or some such other nonsense found in others game material. BS! The East Mark Gazetteer is not "old-school" but is a well founded, thurough, and great intro into the East Mark setting. The "pop-bang" is in the goodness inside.

You want bells and whistles, kid? Buy the East Mark folio and let you imagination soar. THAT imagination is what bells and whistles is all about.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Julian Grimm wrote:
Cold clammy sweat covered him. His heart beat hard and breathing was labored. He had been running for hours and it seemed there was no end in sight. The guards spotted Julian on the roof and had pursued him halfway across the city.

True there was five at the start and two had an unfortunate run in with his blade but, the remaining three were much smarter. The one called Gerden was especially cunning. Julian hoped he would not have to face him. Another turn left the guards behind but not for long. Julian kept running.

Another alleyway opened up to him. Julian took it hoping for a chance to escape them this time. Too late. There were guards at either end and closing. Turning sideways he tried to see them as they came. Then he noticed the pile of rags. He looked around the alley recognizing it from rumor. Hoping he was right Julian threw a bag of coins at the rags saying just one thing, " Pit! It's dinner time!"

Julian awoke suddenly. Shaking his head he tried to get the dream images out of his mind. Ever since Dexter's death he had this dream. Slowly he got out of bed hoping not to disturb the form next to him. Shavonne was sleeping softly and he was thankful she hadn't heard him this time.

Julian pulled his robe on and went to the desk in their room. He sat down and opened the box of tobacco and began to roll himself a smoke. Sometimes he thought the tobacco trade was the only good thing that came from the recent crusades. Satisfied with the jib he had done Julian, went to the balcony to light his smoke.

He inhaled the crisp fall air along with the smooth flavor of the smoke. He exhaled and looked at the few lights left this late at night. He was in Yggsburgh again. This time negotiating trade deals with some of the companies to begin routes to the Rhunelands. The late night meetings and talks were draining him. Dammit, he wasn't a politician. Why in the world he had been chosen to come here to do this was beyond him.

Julian along with a few others from Augsberg and the Rhunelands had fought in some of the crusades and formed small states not associated with Outremere or, New Aenoch as they were calling it now. He had served as had Shavonne in a small team called the Blue Drakes who's main goal was disrupting orcish supply lines and opening routes into the enemy front.

This had been his life until the region claimed by the Hidel family had been tamed. Soon after that the Drakes disbanded, Hidleguard was formed as a state, Julian retired and bought some land he converted into the Broken Tankard Inn and Trading post. As well he had bought a stake in the Arabel trading company and still did side jobs for his former commanders. All that changed when he was chosen for his supposed expertise in trading and connections to other companies, to work out getting trade into the Rhunelands to rebuild the nation.

It felt like Yggsburgh exploded as Julian had gotten there. First Count Dexter dies and triggers these dreams. Then Prizmyra shows up possibly to court support from a city that wasn't fully part of the empire then the promotion of Rhuvein to Marquis. The same Rhuvein he had heard was fearmongoring with tales that Unklar was returning. Julian sighed and snuffed out his smoke.

Reentering the room he tried climbing into bed with Shavonne without disturbing her. It didn't work out so well. She awoke and knew Julian had the nightmare again. Knowing he wouldn't talk of it she suggested a way to take his mind off of the dream...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Great stuff, Julian and Lurker!

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Rhuvein wrote:

Danke, I had a flash of inspiration and had forgot about this thread until you rezzed it. So thank you for that!

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Julian and Shavonne were sitting in their private dining chamber eating a breakfast of rashers, scrambled eggs, and ale. There was little talk between them as they were both quite tired from the week long talks. Thankfully Prizmyra's appearance had paused the talks and they had a few days to themselves.

Julian looked at Shavonne's tanned skin, dark hair and nearly coal black eyes. His heart was hers and had been for a long time, even though they had only recently acknowledged the feelings they had harbored since their days in the Drakes. He was glad he had a few days with just her again. Perhaps they could check out the rumors of that abaondoned mansion and have some real fun for a change.

Just then the serving girl entered the room. "My lord and lady," Julian hated when he was addressed as such, " You have a visitor. I said you were not to be disturbed but he said he had urgent news and must see you both. Shall I send him up?"

Shavonne sighed obviously annoyed but agreed to have him sent in. She added " Make a place for him and feed him with us." A moment later the maid set a place and annouced Josa Hidel. Shavonne and Julian both looked shocked. Josa was the senior statesman to Hidleguard and rarely left his kingdom.

They rose as he entered. His short blonde hair and light blue eyes were set off by the official dress uniform of green and black of the nation. Josa sat and began to eat when he spoke. " I hate to come here on such short notice but new events have forced me here."

" Are we not doing a good job here," Julian asked.

Josa laughed, " Quite the contrary, the council is pleased with the progress of the trade talks. And can't wait to see you back. Trade is not the reason I am here. The talks in Raven's Keep are finished and the vote carried. Hidleguard, Drakkar, Alardane and the other states have voted on forming the Confederacy of the Karstlands. Augsberg has officially recognized us as have the Rhunelands and Dunfalcon. We are waiting on Aachen, Karbosk and hopefully Yggsburgh to vote for recognition as well.

Prizmyra must be left out of the loop on this so that we can officially break away from the empire. I address the Yggsburgh council today and hope for their vote."

Julian took a deep drink from his ale, " That may be a problem."

Josa looked quizzical, " How is that? Prizmyra is supposed to be in Ascolon until the spring."

Shovonne spoke next, " Kassandra tried to contact you but had not heard back, now we know you were at Raven's Keep. Josa, Prizmyra is in Yggsburgh as we speak."

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Boggi-wogs!

Post by Tadhg »

At the River Rat Tavern:

A boisterous lunch time crowd on a Moonday of the week ~

At one of the corner tables sits a group of the local cutthroats and thugs.

In walks Gilbert Gaffs Fuller over to their table and the group looks up . . .

Hey Gaffs, where you been, mate?

Visiting meh family

Family? Me thoughts you was a bastard!

Well, uh yeah - twas meh foster family. Good peoples for takin me in and all when I was a lad. Big Will and Maggie I calls em. Theyre getting on in age and I thought I should pay em a visit.

What news then?

I met some gypsies on the way back here, who said they seen some boggi-wogs up around Trowford.

Oswald Wall Baker sprays his beer on the floor, What the ell are . . boggi-wogs??

Frog heads, mate! smiles Stanley, Nasty man-like creatures with frogish heads!

Wall shivers and scowls, I better not ever see one; Ill cut his head clean off!

Sir Alex of Gaxhill be looking for adventurers up there to deal with the boggi-wogs. Pay is good, says Gaff.

Are you joking, man? I makes a honest living right ere in Yggstown! chortles Wall, winking at his fellows, who all begin to laugh and clink glasses.

OK, back to work then, men!! We got us a nice burglary at 2 of the hour. Barger said twould be easy pickins Har! barks Edgar The Fish Gar - as they all put down coins for their lunch and drink.

Come on Gaff, we could use yer special talents!

Just then Melons comes to the table to tidy up and pick up her tips and says, Thanks. See yall later, fellas!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Boggi-wogs!

Post by Tadhg »

At the River Rat Tavern:

A boisterous lunch time crowd on a Moonday of the week ~

At one of the corner tables sits a group of the local cutthroats and thugs.

In walks Gilbert Gaffs Fuller over to their table and the group looks up . . .

Hey Gaffs, where you been, mate?

Visiting meh family

Family? Me thoughts you was a bastard!

Well, uh yeah - twas meh foster family. Good peoples for takin me in and all when I was a lad. Big Will and Maggie I calls em. Theyre getting on in age and I thought I should pay em a visit.

What news then?

I met some gypsies on the way back here, who said they seen some boggi-wogs up around Trowford.

Oswald Wall Baker sprays his beer on the floor, What the ell are . . boggi-wogs??

Frog heads, mate! smiles Stanley, Nasty man-like creatures with frogish heads!

Wall shivers and scowls, I better not ever see one; Ill cut his head clean off!

Sir Alex of Gaxhill be looking for adventurers up there to deal with the boggi-wogs. Pay is good, says Gaff.

Are you joking, man? I makes a honest living right ere in Yggstown! chortles Wall, winking at his fellows, who all begin to laugh and clink glasses.

OK, back to work then, men!! We got us a nice burglary at 2 of the hour. Barger said twould be easy pickins Har! barks Edgar The Fish Gar - as they all put down coins for their lunch and drink.

Come on Gaff, we could use yer special talents!

Just then Melons comes to the table to tidy up and pick up her tips and says, Thanks. See yall later, fellas!

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Quote:

THANKS

I had a lot of ideas while in the hospital with my dad. I've just got to find the time to type them up & see how much your all latest posts change my directions.

By the way what are the names for the god of death, also is there one for sickness?

C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Lurker wrote:
THANKS

I had a lot of ideas while in the hospital with my dad. I've just got to find the time to type them up & see how much your all latest posts change my directions.

Oh, don't let my posts dictate your direction. Feel free to go any which way you choose or feed off mine or anyone else's. This is a "free for all"!! Heh.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

It's been a nasty few weeks at work but here you go.

Morgan walked down the evening darkened street. A poorly hidden yawn showing his exhaustion to those careful enough to glimpse it. Like all exhausted people he was not thinking as clearly as he should nor is his attention as sharp as it should be. The fact that the normal watch men and torch carrier are not with him this evening puts him in more danger.

His thoughts drift to the fact that Count Dexters murderer is still loose and also the murder of 3 watchmen on the same day. The three were corrupt fools and thugs but a man in the watches uniform, thug or not, still deserved some respect & protection. The inquisitors were beginning to cause problems. The answers need to be found but not by them & with their methods

A dragon flying over the city a day or was it two ago, 3 days and two nights with out sleep causes time to blur The dragon, and the fog & clouds over the castle beginning to lift have not helped maters in the least.. To top it off the announcement of Marquis of Frankfort, Lord Rhuveinus Maccabaeus & the Royal Highness, Princess Neratites forthcoming marriage To much going on for an old, well not that old but the lack of sleep makes me feel that way, soldier & Sergeant of the watch to be in a good mood.

A turn into an empty, quiet side street, darkened by the closeness of the building and the fact that to moon will not rise for a few more hours takes the sergeant a little closer to home, a hot meal, a loving wife and bed.

A man steps out of the shadows, a man that was not there seconds before. Morgan, who has gone on crusade, fought orcs and goblins side by side with his brother soldiers, led his troop in killing a pair of ogers, feels fear. Fear so strong he is rooted to the spot & cant even gasp much less call out for help that wouldnt be there.

Morgan, I fell a hunger, come dine next to me. Show me a peaceful quiet place for I needs must talk to you this night echoes a voice from a shadow covered face. Morgans only answer is a slight nod of his head and shaky steps toward a friend baker.

10 minuets later the two sat next to a fountain behind an old house and garden, quiet & alone. Morgan. ate slowly and as time passed the stars & the fountains music relaxed & soothed his tired soul. With out thought he makes to pass a wine skin to the shadow cloaked man at his side.

All is as ash to me, but your enjoyment of the food and this place is a balm unto me.

There are things you must needs to accomplish this night. Again a tired nod of the head is the only answer that can be given.

First an acquaintance of yours will be attacked tonight. I have no wish for the attack to succeed. You will stop it. I have more use for this man & the woman he will be with. Second a caravan moves slowly toward this city of ours. Paitt has covered one of the mule drivers in plagues and dark sicknesses. He must not make it to the citys gates. Others of the caravan also carry sickness. A few may live but most should pass into my masters realm.

I find the death to sickness and plague to be untasteful. I prefer that passing be flavored with strife and the desire to live. Plus I do not love my sister and do not wish her plans toward our city to succeed.

Morgan, stand and show me the weapons you have carried for many long years A sturdy old sword slowly comes forth from a battered scabbard. It is followed by a short stabbing sword. Both well worn & much used.

The shadowed one bends froth taking each in turn inspecting them & slowly kissing the blade of each.

I am deaths reach. I am shadows friend. Whispered each. We serve you this night and in many more to come the words echo in Morgans tired head.

After each is returned to their scabbard the shadow cloaked man reaches forward and takes Morgan in an embraces and gives a kiss of friendship and brotherhood to both of his cheeks. And then is gone.

Morgan stands there as blackness passes along his soul. He now sees much and knows much, some of which he has no desire to know.

Later that night three men are in an ally. Waiting in ambush for Julian and his companion Shavonne. A forth, a user of magic and black arts, stands in a doorway whispering arcane words. The spells are working and have clouded the minds of the two as they come form the Marvel Playhouse play house. They are all well paid in Prizmyras gold and will be paid more at sunrise after the dark deed of murder is finished.

A cross bow is slowly cocked and knives are readied. None notice a shadow silently drop for the garden wall behind them. One hears a slight noise as the shadow moves closer but a lite breeze sturing the limbs of the fall dead fruit tree explains that away. All three smile as a cloud passes in front of the waning moon covering them in what they think is a god sent, safe shadow. They are wrong that it is safe.

As Julian and his companion passes in front of the ally spell numbed to the danger. The cross bow is raised, only to fire harmlessly in the air. A sword thrust through the back quickly finishes the bowman. A slash from Shadows Friend ends the life of the first knife man just as quickly. The last knife man has just enough time to turn & see the blade of Deaths Reach as it ends his life.

The student of wizardry keeps whispering his dark words of power as he watches the two walk. Any moment now the murder should start & end just as quickly. A breeze covers the slight noise of the crossbow. Dark shadows hide the silent and bloody deaths of the three murders. He never hears Morgan recock the crossbow nor does he see the careful aim being taken. The words of power and magic come to a gurgling halt.

Morgan sies tiredly. His work for the night is not finished. He knows the men he must see, must talk to. William Waters and Bruno Shipsman, both are men that would love to see Morgan dead. Both are men Morgan, as a sergeant of the city, should arrest or kill but he will not. Thanks to the evenings dark gifts he knows just where to meet both men.. A second sie starts the rest of the evening.

A few hours later a fist of men, cutthroats all, leave the city. All their exits are hidden unmarked by the watch. They ride to do murder and rob a caravan. They do not realize they also go to stop plague & save the city. They care only for the monies to be made.

Morgan tiredly watches the sun rise. Sitting and resting next to as fountain. The place where he received dark gifts and the place where wives and daughters are now filling their jugs.

A wife cries her self to sleep. A third night spent with out her husband. The watchmen guarding the house do not know nor can they find Morgan, their sergeant. The lady wife knows in her heart that something dark has came and changed her husband. She does not know what the visit was nor the change but she can feel it.

C&C Society

C&C Society

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Ok Now I need some ideas. Fell free to use my Characters until I can get some movement in the brain.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

An excerpt from Smedigals book The Middle Years of the Eastmark:
That year would also show the plans of Rhuvinus taking shape. His dream of rebuilding the Mystic Enclave were coming to fruition and his promotion by Pryzmyra would further his goals. This year also saw the formation of the first breakaway states from Outremere now calling itself New Aenochia.

These states were formed during the Crusades and were either neutral or uninterested in joining the empire. The first was the Confederacy of the Karstlands which was formed by those with interests in restoring the Rhunelands. As known the Karstlands would see a rocky start but succeed where other breakaway states would fail.

The death of Count Dexter and the rumors of the Dark Man walking Yggsburgh seemed a herald of the things to come. The crusaders were beaten back on Orc armies were threatening the eastern edge of the empire. At this time a freak series of snow and ice storms would blanket the East Mark locking it in a winter that would resemble the Winter's Dark.

Yggsbugh was effectively cut off from Outremer (A Nation it only had loose ties with though other histories want to ignore that fact) until that spring. The events that transpired during this would be the most brutal in Yggsburghs history. Though there is disagreement by what caused the storms the perminant changes in climate afterward seems to be more related to the continuing climate changes after the winters dark than to divine or other supernatural accusations...

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

All was quiet in Yggsburgh. The snow had forced all indoors and for the first time in recent memory the streets were deserted. Inside the many buildings citizens were huddled either trying to stay warm or prepared for the coming yule celebrations.

In one house, thought long abandoned Shavonne Westlake soon to be Grimm was staring out a window sipping a spiced drink. She was listening to Julian rummage through a room filled with various boxes.

"I'm glad to know you have a place here. Any reason why we didn't come here instead of spending money on the inn?"

Julian grunted and felt the stare on his back, he knew he had to answer, "Honestly," he began, " I use it to store things." He went back to a box and then found the linnens he was looking for. " These will go to Josa's and Kassandra's rooms."

Shavonne narrowed her eyes, " How did you get this place?" She was suspicious of how Julian came to own a townhouse in Yggsburgh.

Julian sighed," You're not going to let go are you?" Shavonne raised an eyebrow in mock menace. He knew she wasn't giving up, " Alright, I got it from the Arabel trade coster. Constance used it as a storehouse for illiciate goods when the black trade was banned here. She stored most of her coffee's and tobacco's here and sold them to nobles. When the council lifted the ban she had no use for it and sold it to me cheap as a favor for services rendered."

"Services Rendered?"

"Working for her and getting the goods here. Nothing more," Julian's past did have an unfortunate way of coming up like this. As usual he wished he'd been more conservative in his exploits.

The house had been his for years and he did use it to store items he did not need on a normal basis. Plus the idea of a safehouse appealed to him if he ever got in any trouble and needed to be 'away'. But there was another reason for this house and it was right next to his boot in a well sealed box. He couldn't help but glance down at it. Shavonne saw the look.

"What's in there?" She asked.

"I don't think your ready to know that," Julian replied looking out the dirty window in the black night, "reminds you of Raven's Keep out there."

" Don't brush this off. You've been careful with that box since we've been here."

Shavonne and the rest had came here when they found all routes to the Karstlands were cut off by the storm. Knowing they were low on coin and not wanting to rely on Josa for lodging they came here. There were five of them in the house the most people it had seen in years. Still Shavonne was curious about the box. Julian was careful about this room only letting her in. The bookshelves and various decor led her to believe this room had a reason only known to Julian. A reason she wanted to know.

"You really want to know? Since you would have to eventually I'll show you." Julian produced a key from a hidden panel in the room and opened the box. It was ceder and the smell filled the room. At first Shavonne saw a cloth covering an object. Julian removed it and removed the contents of the box to a table.

At first Shavonne only saw books bound in differing colors of leather. Red, green, black, grey and purple, the lettering on the spine was faded but she made out the names. Shavonne let out an involuntary sound of shock, " That's the...the...," The name escaped her.

"It's the Annowean chronicles. Not the full set but one of the most complete collections. Only one other had more complete collection," Julian produced more books two smaller bound in black leather with purple foil lettering on the covers a similar book but not as fancy and another beaten leather tome with an unknown coat of arms. Picking up the black leather books he explained them, " The Saga of Eloric, a lost tale from the Saga, and," he sighed, " The Family History of house Grimm."

Shavonne was taken aback. These books were considered heretical in most lands and a third book in the Eloric saga was rumored but not confirmed. "Where did you get these?"

Julian closed and locked the door, " It's a long tale but I guess we have time. And it's part of the reason we came here. As you know I spent time here in my youth. While here I came under the tutalige of a woman named Arella. She had two sons my age and we were all prone to trouble. She took me in and let me stay with them. Bored I stumbled into her study. Most of these books were there. I read them and saw that though they were considered heretical to most faiths and filled with absurd forms of history I found great truths in them.

Seeing my interest in this Arella sent me to Yggsburgh college to study history. I found fault with the accepted form of history and faith there and actually argued that the translations of the Mammoth scrolls were filled with errors. A few students sided with me among them was Josa Hidel a student from Augsberg.

His family were among our faith and had retranslated parts of the Mammoth scrolls proving to us that the translations were in error. After our college days we joined the crusade and that is where you and I met. As you know our nation was founded upon the things laid out in these works. We needed a place where those that held our views could gather and study in peace.

Later on I found that Arella died and left her books to me. However her two sons sold the books thinking they were worthless. I have spent the past few years getting the books or copies of them back. There are more here. I collected them under the guise of working for Arabel or through jobs I took to get close to buyers of the books or even raiding dungeons that held copies of them.

Which brings me to this. Part of the reason I accepted to come here as a trade representative was that I tracked one of the buyers of Arella's books here. I had hoped to negotiate a price for the books from him."

"Who bought them," Shavonne asked.

"Count Dexter."

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

As so, just prior to the Winter Solstice a jousting tournament was held in Yggsburgh in honor of the visit of the Empress Pryzmira. Honored guests included King Arthur of Camelot, Prospero the Wise, recently a member of a group that killed the Baron Strahd von Zarovich of Barovia, The Duke of Sterich, King Richard the Lionheart and King Ulfric of Normandy. Also in attendance was the Lord Mayor of Yggsburgh and other knights and clerics from the city.

The following contestants were entered into the tournament:

Sir Lancelot of Camelot

Lord Rhuveinus, Marquis de Frankfort

Sir Alex of Gaxhill

Uther Shoder of Botkinburg

Prince Hamlet of Denmark

Sir Jorel Lothian, Order of the Lunar Knights

The Noble Dame, Dee Hein of Sterich, daughter of the Duke

Sir Robin, Baron of Locksley

Gawain of Camelot

The Black Knight of Aufstrag

Prince Valiant

Sir Wilfred of Ivanhoe

The first pair to joust, trots up and salutes the Empress, Kings and all in the Royal Box ~

Prince Valiant and The Black Knight. The Black Knight unseats Valiant in the 1st pass.

2nd pair:

Dame Dee Hein and Lord Rhuveinus Dame Dee knocks Rhuveinus off his horse on the second pass.

3rd pair:

Jorel Lothian splinters the lance and shield of Sir Lancelot on the 2nd pass

4th pair:

Sir Alec of Gaxhill and Sir Robin of Lockley have a spectacular joust, in which both combatants break their lances. They then commence with swords and the battle culminates with Alec striking Robins shield forcibly enough to unseat him.

5th pair:

To the surprise of all Uther Shoder hits Sir Ivanhoe squarely in the middle of his shield and sends him flying off his horse. Ivanhoe looks closely at Shoder as he rides back to his tent.

6th pair:

The eminent Gawain of Camelot easily defeats the Prince of Denmark. The Dane walks back to his tent muttering to himself.

Next round:

Dame Dee defeats Sir Alec in an excellent joust much clapping and cheering from the stands.

The Black Knight attempts to decapitate Jorel, who ducks at the last moment, but falls off his horse. Boos and thumbs down from all the crowd. The Black Knight advances.

Uther defeats Gawain, but low scoring does not allow advancement to the final round.

. . .

When Uther rides up to salute the Royal box, he removes his helm. Out falls a full head of blonde hair, followed by gasps from the assembled crowd, Tis a women shouts many.

The Empress glares and recognizes the Dame de Coucy, Simone dOrleans, daughter of King Ulfric of Normandy!

All are stunned, thinking that Simone was dead in the Battle of Picardy. And all know that Rhuveinus was betrothed to Simone before her disappearance.

King Richard exchanges glances with King Ulfric who beams his approval of his daughters participation in the tournament and to the new complications at court.

. . .

After some brief refreshment in the Royal Box along with much chattering and speculation, the heralds announce the final round of joust after the trumpets blare.

Championship round:

The Black Knight charges and points his lance at Dame Dees head, but she deflects the lance and steadies her horse and wheels around. Next pass Dee is ready for the Black Knights attack. She uses her shield to deflect his blow, but twirls and aims her lance for the boss of the Black Knights shield. A direct hit sends the scurvy fellow flying and he falls, flips over and doesnt get up, but lays on the ground and groans.

Loud cheers and clapping from the crowd and Royal Box. The other knights applaud and doff their helms. The Dame has won the tourney!

Dee rides up and bows to the Empress and attending Royalty. She removes her helm and . . . a full head of red hair falls out. Flower petals fly from the crowd and trumpets blare, along with the cheering of the crowd. The Empress nods to the winner and her guests clap and whistle.

A Royal Order of Aenochia (OA) is pinned and awarded to the Dame Dee Hein, along with 1000 gold pieces and a new lance.

Fire works and celebrations continue through the day and into night . . . in the Great City of Yggsburgh!

Titania Lefey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Titania Lefey »

What happened to hero Baron Berethor Amtere?
..... also.... I knew she would win! Ha! woo!

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Titania Lefey wrote:
What happened to hero Baron Berethor Amtere?
..... also.... I knew she would win! Ha! woo!

Who?

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Here are the actors for that scene:

The Players:

Sir Lancelot of Camelot Steve Chenault

Lord Rhuveinus, Marquis de Frankfort Gary Gygax

Sir Alec of Gaxhill Alex Gygax

Uther Shoder of Botkinburg Davis Chenault

Prince Hamlet of Denmark Jman5000

Sir Jorel Lothian, Order of the Lunar Knights - Nym Freyasdottir

The Noble Dame, Dee Hein of Sterich, daughter of the Duke Ms. Titania LeFey

Sir Robin, Baron of Locksley Gideon Thorne

Gawain of Camelot - Rigon

The Black Knight of Aufstrag Omote

Prince Valiant - Treebore

Sir Wilfred of Ivanhoe - Serleran

Royal Box attendees and crowd TLG forum members ~ you know who you are.

[More TLG members as players to follow as I develop the credits of this story and go back to assign parts]

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I do not get unhorsed. This tournament is rigged.

Titania Lefey
Hlobane Orc

Post by Titania Lefey »

serleran wrote:
I do not get unhorsed. This tournament is rigged.
did you defeat Strahd von Zerovich (at full hitpoints) in one on one combat? Dee did. So it is obviously NOT rigged.