Warning! Danger Ahead (CN Rogue joining group)

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
CharlieRock

Warning! Danger Ahead (CN Rogue joining group)

Post by CharlieRock »

I can't help it. This is like a big neon warning sign that usually causes me to avoid these players:

"Charlie, I got a friend that wants to join the team. He wants to be a rogue but doesn't want everyone to know he is. He likes to roleplay it."

"Oh. What alignment is he wanting to be" *edginess creeping in...*

"Chaotic Nuetral."

"Argh!"

Is it just me or does this sound like one of those douchebags that make people want to kill them in and out of the game?

Know your roll!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Warning! Danger Ahead (CN Rogue joining group)

Post by gideon_thorne »

Depends on how he plays CN? I see the alignment as an independent lone wolf who follows their own rules, not necessarily that of a 'random' crazy person.

I see no reason why a character has to announce their profession to the group at large in any event. Role playing it sounds like a great idea.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Witterquick

Post by Witterquick »

Yeah, you gotta watch out for the "Chaotic Greedy" alignment. He doesn't want the party to know? I think you're right to be on notice.

CharlieRock

Re: Warning! Danger Ahead (CN Rogue joining group)

Post by CharlieRock »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Depends on how he plays CN? I see the alignment as an independent lone wolf who follows their own rules, not necessarily that of a 'random' crazy person.

I see no reason why a character has to announce their profession to the group at large in any event. Role playing it sounds like a great idea.

Oh, yeah. The last CN character in the group was a Sorceress summoner type (she had a lot of 'pets') played by a co-worker of mine. Much fun.

But for every one well played CN I have encountered I can recall about four or five (possibly more) that made me want to leap over the table and throttle the jerk.

Witterquick's remark tells me I am not alone with these experiences.

Edit: I don't have (much) of a problem with someone role-playing their CN. Or even keeping their profession secret. I mean, who even thinks of themselves as a rogue? Most think of themselves as something else; "I'm just an honest, down-on-his-luck merchant that needs some quick capitol to make my business float again."

Oh, well. It'll be interesting.
Still going to cross my fingers and cringe on the inside.

Know your roll!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

It's always important to tell potential players that your game is about working together for adventure. Roleplaying is cool, but if it kills off the game for the other players, he's not playing within the spirit of the game.

Regardless of whatever character one plays, the idea is to have fun, adventure together for everyones enjoyment.

At least that is what I tell players in my games that go this route.

........................................Omote

FPQ
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Not that its THAT hard to deduce the class, though...

Guys shows up, asking if he can adventure with the group. Party says, "Sure! By the way, whats your class?"

Mysterious guy in leather armor and a shortsword says, "That's not really important, now is it?"

"Oooo! Cleric?"

Click here: http://tiny.cc/4rvo5

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

khartsfield wrote:
Not that its THAT hard to deduce the class, though...

Guys shows up, asking if he can adventure with the group. Party says, "Sure! By the way, whats your class?"

Mysterious guy in leather armor and a shortsword says, "That's not really important, now is it?"

"Oooo! Cleric?"

"Close your eyes guys, so I can use my knock spells on this locked door ... it ,um ,doesn't work if you look."

Know your roll!

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Hn. I'd be wary of this player and character. I gamed with a guy playing a rogue that always tried to get to the treasure before the rest of PCs - which I essentially thought of as being the same as stealing from the other PCs. It irked me, but the rest of the group didn't seem to mind when the PC got caught in the act.

But yeah, it seems to me that hiding the fact that you're a thief would be pretty difficult.

Prince of Happiness

Post by Prince of Happiness »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:
Hn. I'd be wary of this player and character. I gamed with a guy playing a rogue that always tried to get to the treasure before the rest of PCs - which I essentially thought of as being the same as stealing from the other PCs. It irked me, but the rest of the group didn't seem to mind when the PC got caught in the act.

But yeah, it seems to me that hiding the fact that you're a thief would be pretty difficult.

Hmm, I don't see why wearing leather armor & a short sword would be a sure-fire trigger to call someone a rogue or a thief. IMC, most town militias, and house militias would be similarly armed as well. Many civilians would have short swords as self-defense weapons, so another dude with leather armor and a short sword? Just another armed, armored townsman.

StealthSuitStanley
Hlobane Orc

Post by StealthSuitStanley »

Personally, I would be wary of the character, but the player sounds like he could bring a new level to the game. I would definitely place the character on probation for the first several sessions. This way, if it doesn't work out, there is no hard feelings. Re-iterate that your campaign is a heroic fantasy (or whatever) and that the group has more fun when everyone in the group enjoys the game.
Then let him know that you won't stop other players from trying to kill him if that's how the game is going.

SSS

----------------------------

"Size matters not."

-Yoda, Jedi Master
CK of the Planewalker's Society

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

Let em play. Give em a shot, maybe he's a good roleplayer and likes that aspect of the game.

If it so turns out that he does not fit in with the group or upsets the game - he misses a check on a 50 foot deep pit trap with poisoned spikes....

OUCH

I had to do the same to a guy named "Pizza" in college. Although, I had to kill about 15 characters before he quit paying. Which, in and of itself, was somewhat fun.

No one wanted to play with this guy but everyone had fun setting up situations to get him killed.

One time at band camp... "Farmboy" wanted to kill Pizza's character. So, they got to a cliff edge and decided to rope down. Pizza's character went first. As it happened, Several orcs attacked farmboy while he was holding the rope. he let go and Pizza fell to his death.

W were all sitting aorund drinking one night when Farmboy had the ida of starting a game just to kill Pizza's character (it really was funny). It was 1am, we called Pizza over. He came over (with pizza in toe - he always had a pizza with him, hence his name).

So we rolled out, i wnet into my spiel and farmboy says - I attack Pizza's new character....

all in all not nice, but funny.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

khartsfield wrote:

"Oooo! Cleric?"

Or a dexterous fighter. It's not always wise to jump to conclusions, as my thief-mage proved, which everyone thought was a fighter due to his skill with two weapons. ^_~`

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Post by cleaverthepit »

Whenever I play an incognito class, they always start the game in a purple dress with pig tails.

throws everyone for a lopp.

Steve thinks I have underlying issues he'd prefer not come out in the game.

Todd threatens to hit me.

Chris applauds my openess to alternative lifestyles.

Mark thinks nothing less than immolation will cure me.

Mac just stares at me.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I played a CN fighter-thief in my 1E campaign back around 1982 and constantly tried to steal from the party. Then I missed my pick pockets roll when I openend a chest. The party was pissed, but let it slide. Then I got caught again. That's when the party paladin picked me up and slapped me (well, my poor little halfling fighter-thief). Unfortunately for me, she was wearing gauntlets of ogre power. And a girdle of giant strength. Long story short, she knocked me unconscious and the party spent a considerable time debating whether to bother healing me up. I didn't steal from the party nearly as much after that. The situation resolved itself naturally and without any real problems. It's not like I was going off and reaching agreements with evil NPCs to betray the party or anything. CN does not mean the character has to be unheroic or obstructionist, just a little bit self-interested. And willing to steal from the party when he thinks he can get away with it.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Or a dexterous fighter. It's not always wise to jump to conclusions, as my thief-mage proved, which everyone thought was a fighter due to his skill with two weapons. ^_~`

Oh Gideon_Thorne, you sly devil you.

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

Hey! The guy was a good player!
The reason he was choosing secrecy and CN was the last group he was with tended to do a lot of infighting (kill the thief!) and the DM hawkeyed people's alignments like crazy. Anyways he had a good enough time he wants to bring his girlfriend along and roll her up a character ,too.

Except we are about 1/3 of the way through White Plume Mountain. I'm going to have to rewrite it. Again. DMs work is never done.

Know your roll!

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

CharlieRock wrote:
Except we are about 1/3 of the way through White Plume Mountain. I'm going to have to rewrite it. Again. DMs work is never done.

Anyone DM running WPM needs to look at this site: HERE

StealthSuitStanley
Hlobane Orc

that was cool!

Congrats! Good players are hard to find! No need to rewrite. Just make her a captive of a monster in the mountain...or have a mage contact the party inside the mountain and then teleport her there.

Good luck!

SSS

"Size matters not."

-Yoda, Jedi Master

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

khartsfield wrote:
Anyone DM running WPM needs to look at this site: HERE

Those are some cool pics.
Stealthsuitstanley, What I meant by rewrite it is add monsters and possibly another twist or trap. An extra player character is likely to make things a bit too easy.

Then again, this is White Plume Mountain we're talking about here. Maybe I don't need too.

Know your roll!

StealthSuitStanley
Hlobane Orc

CharlieRock wrote:
Then again, this is White Plume Mountain we're talking about here. Maybe I don't need too.

My point exactly!

SSS

"Size matters not."

-Yoda, Jedi Master

bighara
Ulthal

Post by bighara »

I've had too many bad CN experiences from PCs. I simply don't allow the alignment in player characters. In fact, I usually make PCs be of a Good alignment. It just saves headaches later. Now, that works for the kinds of games I usually run, but it might not work for everyone. YMMV, etc.
“Style is the perfection of a point of view.”