C&C thread at EN World

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Fat Dragon Games
Dragon Troll

C&C thread at EN World

Post by Fat Dragon Games »

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=212987

Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com

Castles & Crusades...more D&D than D&D.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: C&C thread at EN World

Post by gideon_thorne »

*chuckles* Enworld's not really a place for a lot of early style gaming enthusiasm.
*smiles* Some of the more snarky remarks are amusing, and entirely without any evidence to back them up.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Thanks. Haven't been over there in a while, so I posted to support the poll!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

Tossed in my two cents. I'm really tired of trying to talk about C&C on any forum but this one. Everyone is always ragging on the game, and refusing to believe that I and my group can enjoy the game so much.

In that thread above, Buttercup references Obryn giving her his C&C books. Buttercup first came to me, asking me to send her some info via PDF, but Obryn soon started talking about how awful the system is and offered to send her his books for free, so Buttercup withdrew her request to me. But in the forum where our little discussion started, it ended up becoming a free-for-all about how C&C sucks and I can't take the criticism. And of course all the negativity was coming from people who flat out refuse to try the game in the first place.

Yet the same people razz on folks who don't like the 4th Edition previews. Go figger.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I voted... took a look... but didn't bother replying.

I was amused by the comment made by "dmccoy1693" regarding fans of a certain other old school game emulation.

A look at the poll is interesting enough though considering where it's being done. The 'Yes' and the 'I liked it but not enough to switch' still garner over 40% of the vote. That's not too shabby for En World.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Really don't care. People play what they like, and what people like should not be influenced by other people. Doing so just fosters ignorance, and ignorance is a mule I can shoot.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

moriarty777 wrote:
I was amused by the comment made by "dmccoy1693" regarding fans of a certain other old school game emulation.

Thats one of the ones I was amused by. I wonder what the basis for comparison is?

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:
Really don't care. People play what they like, and what people like should not be influenced by other people. Doing so just fosters ignorance, and ignorance is a mule I can shoot.

I guess I should have just come over here and read this first. Copying and pasting would have been much easier than writing my post. Plus brief.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Voted, for what it's worth. I wonder if posters like Numion actually understand how rude their posts come across? I know in his case, English isn't his first language, so perhaps not.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

serleran wrote:

Use an 870 with 000 shot, mules don't die quickly or quietly.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

What do you think makes it so much fun? Its boring if they go down fast.

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

I added my thoughts as well. I don't make it to ENWorld much so thanks for the link.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Wow, post #35. I feel dirty. Hehe. Not a place I visit very often.

Keolander
Red Cap

Post by Keolander »

serleran wrote:
Wow, post #35. I feel dirty. Hehe. Not a place I visit very often.

Hehe, don't feel bad Serleran, I'm up to post #5 and I've been a member since 2004.
I will say that I've never really seen Castles & Crusades fans who are rude, certainly not to the extent some are fans of d20, Palladium or just about any other system. I dunno, maybe Im sheltered.
I also am not quite certain what to make of dmccoy1693's left handed assertion that the Trolls are not darn nice. Apparently something happened with the OSRIC folks and the Trolls?
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken
Μολὼν λάβε

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Keolander wrote:
I also am not quite certain what to make of dmccoy1693's left handed assertion that the Trolls are not darn nice.

Lets just say its a case of angst ridden projection and leave it at that. ^_~`

Peter Bradley

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

There seems to be less dislike of the game in that thread than downright hatred of C&C fans, and that just makes me wonder what fans they've been dealing with. Certainly no one I know who posts here, and certainly no one I know elsewhere. If anything, I do sense a lot of frustration from C&C fans abroad, as I'm often frustrated myself. But folks keep painting C&C fans with a very large brush, and in that thread backtrack and say "Everyone but Treebore!" as if it's not offensive.

Good gosh. Now I feel like going somewhere and picking on a WHFRP fan.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Wow, the more I read this thread as it develops, the more I realize that C&C has a somewhat 'disliked' fan base.

Did I miss something that happened in the past?

I really like the people here!
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

slimykuotoan wrote:
Wow, the more I read this thread as it develops, the more I realize that C&C has a somewhat 'disliked' fan base.

Did I miss something that happened in the past?

I really like the people here!

Ill sum it up in brief.

C&C is considered, by a certain fanatical section of the old school crowd, to be the 'death knell' of AD&D. TLG's been under heat since day one of C&C's development because there were some folks that wanted C&C to be nothing more than a 100% copy of AD&D. Which, despite opinion to the contrary, can't be done.

Everything came under fire. The mechanics, the style of art *cough*, association with Gary, and a few other odds and ends, which caused endless posturing and hysterical ranting by a fanatical, but loud, minority.

The reason C&C and TLG still gets attacked, occasionally, is that the TLG staff has a distinct dislike of obsessive bs and has been known to say so, albeit politely.

Our inclusiveness tends to be diametrically opposed to those who desire a more 'one true way' approach. Which is just silly, IMHO.

Peter Bradley

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Ah...

Luckily for us, C&C's better than the other systems.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

I think the Enworld poll is only designed to stir up s#!^. Some of the comments I found to be quite funny, especially the one regarding fans of the game that shall never be named. Of course, they might have gotten a little respect had they not tried to harass certain game creators into writing free material for them.

That respect wouldn't come from me though for they do not deserve it. After all, I got crucified for my views of certain things, such as the legality of the game that shall never be named. Before that, I was eviscerated by members of the holy church of aydeendee, who consider anything less than absolute worship of the books of the creator as they were written in the time before days to be blasphemy. I've been subject to temporary banning because certain forum administrators didn't like things said about them on a totally different forum.

Those who have spent time reading what I have to say may find me abrasive, and I won't deny it. That's just the way I am. Hopefully, I have not been part of the problem in "persuading" people to avoid this game, and if I am, then I do apologize.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

If people won't buy a game because they know there is someone in the world who plays it that they've had disagreements with, then well, they're just plain strange:

"I won't drive cars anymore.

I know a guy who listens to music I don't like, and who doesn't hold the views I do...and he drives a car.

So I'll walk from now on."

I wouldn't worry Traveller.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Trav is refreshing; in a world of vague statements and sideways commentary, his clear and uncluttered voice is a breath of fresh air. ^_^

Peter Bradley

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

You see... there is a lot I don't understand when I look and read what some of these extremists have to say. Don't get me wrong, I love my older AD&D material (whether it be first of second edition) and the even older OD&D or Classic D&D material. I take it all: lock, stock, and barrel.

Mechanics issues and differences aside, I don't understand the fanatical and slavish devotion a particular aging game system and the exclusion and cynicism of all others. There is certainly nothing wrong with preferences and opinions but it's nothing to get worked up over.

To a degree, I can appreciate the purpose in 'replicating' the rule set. It's a shame it falls in a very gray area. That said, Goodman Games has put out two (albeit special editions) adventures for AD&D 1E and Rob Kuntz puts out materials compatible to AD&D. It's also very easy to convert a C&C adventure to AD&D with a minimum of effort. The best part of all of this is that none of these efforts required this replicated rule set in order to do it.

Ok... that was my 'civilized rant' ... I will speak of this no more since I wouldn't want to see this thread get locked down should tensions continue to flare.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

Find me a multi-game board that unanymously agrees on any aspect of a game. ENWorld, RPG.net, whoever. I disagree with the endless comparisons to AD&D. C&C is similar but resembles D&D more, to me. And besides that it is enhanced beyond what either early version produced. It has a slick, ready-to-go feel right off the bat that took me a lot of practice to achieve with GURPS while while being more elastic then any version of D&D. Thanks to its' SIEGE mechanic. I can add on GURPS or even Tri-Stat rules (quirks, modifying spells) just as easily some dusty BECMI rule(weapon mastery). While other game systems endlessly add-on lists of rules trying to achieve balance, C&C allows me (and the players) to tilt it whenever and however without adversely effecting the rest of the game all in the name of having fun.

Know your roll!

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Harry Joy wrote:
Good gosh. Now I feel like going somewhere and picking on a WHFRP fan.

You dont have to go far, Im right here, chief.
-Genghis Khan

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

Breakdaddy wrote:
You dont have to go far, Im right here, chief.

pick, pick, pickety pick, pick. You WHFRP fans think your so ... pickish! That's it! You all think your pickish!

Know your roll!

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Ohhh. "Castles & Cultists." We should get robes - black, no maybe royal blue -with hoods. Can I put together secret rites with Serleran?

I think you are forced into better roleplaying when you get "stuck" in an archtype, rather than characters that are min/max and use endless rule-use to overcome difficulties.

Gideon's signature says it all.

I do appreciate all those folks who venture into other boards and share the glory of C&C and LA. And I can't think of even one poster here who would ever be that offensive to anybody else.

John Adams

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I stay away from ENworld. Even for this thread.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

CharlieRock wrote:
pick, pick, pickety pick, pick. You WHFRP fans think your so ... pickish! That's it! You all think your pickish!

Now youre just hurting my feelings
-Genghis Khan

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Quote:
Can I put together secret rites with Serleran?

As I am more than part of the problem (just ask), sure! We shall begin with the writing of the Canon Castellan. [Trademarked because that might make a heck of a book title.]