All Time Favorite RPG???

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
dkeester
Ungern

Post by dkeester »

1. Legend of the Five Rings, First Edition - The system is unique and the world is amazing. It is the first non-western fantasy game that I really enjoyed. This game inspired me. (

2. C&C - Love the flexibility of the system. Love Aihrde. Love the old-school AD&D-esqe fantasy genre. This game inspires me for the future, as well as allowing me to reclaim a piece of my past.

3. D&D/AD&D/Top Secret - These TSR games were my introduction to tabletop gaming. They will always be amongst my favorites.

Gamley

Post by Gamley »

In order:

AD&D 1E

Call of Cthulhu

Gamma World

Champions

Paranoia

Honorable mentions to:

Shadowrun

Star Frontiers

V&V

Fear makes sense out of things. Monsters give us meaning. - WoD The Diary

Dirgesinger

Post by Dirgesinger »

I'd have to say it's White Wolf's Hunter: the Reckoning. The sheer feeling of helplessness and the survival horror style of the game makes for a few months of awesome gaming!!

phadeout
Red Cap

Post by phadeout »

Rigon wrote:
I'd have to say my favorite is AD&D 2e. It's the system that I played the most when I first started to play and I have very fond memories of playing it. But C&C is starting to catch up.

R-

+1

I feel exactly the same about my 2E days... I'm seriously tempted to make a few SIEGE mods to 2E and just play it that way...
"If everyone was drunker, was beer cheaper? And if they were more drunk the further back one goes, is there a time when everyone was completely soused all of the time? And, could I go there?" -Davis Chenault

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

I'd say that historically, it was Rolemaster for fantasy. I know I know. That's like the anti-C&C. But these days, I'm having a grand old time playing C&C, so the times they are a-changin'.

SciFi: Traveller: TNE

Modern: Twilight:2000, Merc:2000 and Top Secret

We had a lot of fun playing Palladium's Beyond the Supernatural, too.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Pendragon... it's an under-appreciated gem.

AD&D, however, is my first love which is why I also dig C&C so much.

So, here's my top 5 RPG systems:

1] Pendragon

2] Castles & Crusades

3] 3rd Edition D&D

4] AD&D, 2nd Edition

5] Fantasy Hero

Favorite published settings:

1] Greyhawk

2] Planescape

3] Golarion (Paizo's core setting)

4] Lahnkmar

5] Ptolus
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Jizo of Demons

Post by Jizo of Demons »

Castles & Crusades, natch

Call of Cthulhu (particularly Victorian-era)

AD&D 2e

Shadowrun, hate the god-awful system but LOVE the atmosphere

gnombient

Post by gnombient »

Favorite systems:

C&C (no kidding)

BRP-- esp. Stormbringer/Elric and Call of Cthulhu

Gamma World 2e

AD&D1e

Favorite published settings:

Wilderlands of High Fantasy (JG/Necro)

Atlantis (Bard Games)

Fading Suns

CoC Dreamlands

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

favorite systems, in order

AD&D 1e

C&C

Ars Magica - 2nd edition

Talislanta

played a lot more, had fun in lots, but these are the ones which I prefer.

I'd like to put Tekumel in there, but it's the setting I like - it has never received a decent system.
My C&C campaign journal: Hard Times in Narsileon http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtop ... 22&t=11032
My OSRIC/1e campaign journal: Expedition to Arden Vul http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 26&t=59080

Hrolfgar
Red Cap

Post by Hrolfgar »

Favorite Systems

OD&D - first played c. 1976 . First campaign was in Wilderlands

AD&D 1e- haven't played since ' 84, but still the one I played the most

RuneQuest (Borderlands/Pavis and RQ Vikings)

Pendragon- great game

and C&C- next campaign I hope in the East Mark

thedungeondelver

Post by thedungeondelver »

AD&D, Original D&D, Champions/HERO System (the 5th edition pretty much owns), hm. Gotta love C&C for keepin' on and being the reason I got to know Gary a little and got my work "out there".

Strangely enough it's also why I'm an IT magazine columnist, but that's another story.

Brutorz Bill
Red Cap

Post by Brutorz Bill »

Gamma World (are you surprised?)

Lord Falcon MacGreggor

Post by Lord Falcon MacGreggor »

AD&D 1E

But I currently play 3.5 with minor modifications to fit my DM style.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

1. BD&D (Holmes)

2. AD&D (1ed)

3. Gamma World

4. C&C

5. LA

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

1. Space 1889 (for the setting and not so much the system)

2. C&C

3. AD&D 2E (I started here for the most part)

4. Star Wars d6

5. Call of Cthulhu (I've known about the game for years, but I never checked it out until recently when I was looking for some place to play Space: 1889 with a different system. Someone on this board mentioned doing so, and there's an an TRMGS article about it; I recently did so and I freaking love it!)

Dorien
Ungern

Post by Dorien »

Baldur's Gate II

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Isn't that a computer game?

When I said rpg I assumed it was understood the pen and pencil...use your imagination, interacting with humans at the table type of game.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

Joe wrote:
Isn't that a computer game?

When I said rpg I assumed it was understood the pen and pencil...use your imagination, interacting with humans at the table type of game.

Hey man, different strokes for different folks. I get where you're coming from BUT if that's his preferred way of roleplaying more power to him.
I have existed from the morning of the world and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of Gaius Caligula, I am all men as I am no man and therefore I am... a god.

Dorien
Ungern

Post by Dorien »

It is a computer game, but you were not specific, for pen and paper it would be AD&D (although I don't ever use level limits and I do not like games that allow several level jumps in one game or characters that are so loaded with magic crap that they are essentially invincible)

That's why I am the greatest F'ing Dwarf that there ever has or ever will be!

adaen
Red Cap

Post by adaen »

The Atlantean Trilogy: The Arcanum, The Lexicon, and The Bestiary from Bard Games in the early eighties (The last two were later combined into a single volume entitled "Atlantis: The Lost World").

It was a setting and system with breadth. Mind you, it only covered fantasy really, but all sorts of fantasy: High, Low, Swords & Sorcery, and much in-between and it was set in an ancient "proto" Earth.

angelius

Post by angelius »

I think we did this already once but what the heck!!!

Of games that I can actually run:

C&C

Of games that I wish I could run competently?

Marvel Superheroes

Ghostbusters

Shadowrun

Cyberpunk

Cthulhu

Mr Howitzer

Post by Mr Howitzer »

#1 Deadlands (The first system, NOT D20 or Savage worlds)

It's system was streamlined and functional, while maintaining a level of style I'm not sure any other system I've played has achieved; both in terms of setting and game mechanics.

#2 Cyberpunk

This one is just like Relaxo said: I grew up on CP2012, 2013 & 2020... It's not the greatest system, but it's just one of my favorites. Besides if you ever feel the need to feed your inner munchkin, CP is it. Just hope the GM isn't in a PC murdering mood.

#3 GURPS

I love GURPS for it's versatility and the eloquence of it's mechanics even though it's not always the most fun. It can do anything, it it does it all well, as long as you're willing to put forth the time and effort to give the setting the kind of style and/or substance you need for real enjoyment. This is also the only system I've ever had a particularly enjoyable fantasy campaign in. I'm more of a modern/future guy, if you can't tell from the list here.

#4 Whitewolf (The new set of games: Vampire the Requiem etc)

I was never a huge fan of masqerade, apocalypse or any of the older WW games, but when the new system came out, they had gotten rid of a lot of the stuff that I thought was extranious, unbalanced or just plain dumb. I also thought the new mechanics, even as similar to the old as they are, really fit a quart into a pint pot. Very streamlined and functional, while allowing for more differentiation than the old ones.

#5 Inquisitor (not a conventional RPG p*r*e, but I feel it fits)

It's really an extremely detailed skirmish scale tabletop stratagy game, but we (myself and the group I played with) found that the level of detail lent itself better to combat-heavy roleplaying, rather than it's intended purpose. If we had more than 2 players and each used warbands instead of single characters, the game bogged down and went especially slow.

I put a lot of stock in game mechanics (as I'm sure you can tell from above); The way I see it, you can put almost any setting with almost any system, given a bit of effort, so why not make use of the best set of mechanics available. Rules are only guidelines anyway, once a game is under way, but I figure, why handicap yourself from the start? Hence my lack of enthusiasm for D&D or any of the D20 stuff I've experienced out there. Not to say I havn't had fun playing them, but it was wholly thanks to the GM and players around me, rather than the system contributing to it.

Hows that for wordy?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

There are simply too many games I find to be well-worth the effort to play, even if others would disagree, and adamantly.

For example:

Cyborg Commando is fun. Its wacky, weird, nonsensical, and outright distorted, but, damn if it ain't fun.

Mythus / Dangerous Journeys, despite being so full of mechanics for virtually everything, is a an amazing resource of thought and imagination. Yeah, its clunky, and its boggy, but when you need to know what effect shocking hands has on a dude in plate... look no further.

Beasts, Men & Gods is a neat game, too.

Indigo Rose
Red Cap

Post by Indigo Rose »

My favorites are (in no particular order):

Holmes Basic D&D, AD&D, C&C, Champions (3rd Edition), Call of Cthulhu, Gamma World, Traveller, VtM, and the Rocky and Bullwinkle RPG (complete with hand puppets).

Once it gets published, I'll be adding Victorious to the list; I've really enjoyed helping play-test it!
Everybody is somebody else's weirdo.

Mike Frank
Red Cap

Post by Mike Frank »

AD&D 1st ed. The first book I got was the monster manual because I didn't know any better. I will never forget bringing that book home. I later bought the basic set with the red dragon on the cover. But everyone was playing AD&D -- there was an unspoken suggestion that if you were playing basic, you were playing with wimps or some such.

Anyway, I started playing with the Whidbey Wizards and Wargamers soon after. My first campaign was "Against the Giants." And that is one of my favorites to this day.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Mike Frank wrote:
But everyone was playing AD&D -- there was an unspoken suggestion that if you were playing basic, you were playing with wimps or some such.

You were! Basic was for 5 year-olds!
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Dragondaddy

Post by Dragondaddy »

Mike Frank wrote:
I later bought the basic set with the red dragon on the cover. But everyone was playing AD&D -- there was an unspoken suggestion that if you were playing basic, you were playing with wimps or some such.

Hmmmm? I almost always preferred playing basic 0D&D. Interesting how the game (Less a few modern mechanics) is getting back around to that now.

Lucifer_Draconus
Hlobane Orc

Post by Lucifer_Draconus »

As I have yet to find a group to play/run C&C ..I can't say C&C is my Fav...yet That honor goes to Sci-Fi : Cyberspace (ICE) & Fantasy: Rolemaster (ICE).

RIP Gary Gygax you will be missed.

adaen
Red Cap

Post by adaen »

Iam_Who_Iam wrote:
As I have yet to find a group to play/run C&C ..I can't say C&C is my Fav...yet That honor goes to Sci-Fi : Cyberspace (ICE) & Fantasy: Rolemaster (ICE).

Ah Rolemaster.....gotta love Rolemaster.

csperkins1970
Ulthal

Post by csperkins1970 »

adaen wrote:
Ah Rolemaster.....gotta love Rolemaster.

I LOVED character generation for Rolemaster and pored over the critical hit charts in wonder BUT never managed to get a game going.

Then again I was 13 or so when it came out and I think it was a little over my head.