New Poster Delurking off the Starboard Bow...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
MaxKaladin
Mist Elf

New Poster Delurking off the Starboard Bow...

Post by MaxKaladin »

Today seems like an appropriate day to delurk given that its "D-Day" for 4e.

To make a long story short, I don't want to convert to 4e for a variety of reasons. This will be the first time since I started gaming that I didn't upgrade to the latest edition. Instead, I've been looking into D&D alternatives and I've come to the conclusion that I want to give C&C (another) shot.

You may note that I said "another". My first exposure was a copy of the 1st printing rules which I shelved due to organization and editing. My second exposure has been through one of the groups I game with. That group has run a couple of short C&C games which left me with mixed feelings about the game. More recently, I've decided to give the game a chance as CK. I've been bitten by the "old school" bug and C&C seems to be well suited for that. I've convinced one of the groups I play in (not the one that exposed me to the game before, another one) to give it a try. I'm planning to house-rule the system to better suit my tastes and to address some of the things I didn't like during my previous exposure to the game. We'll see how it goes.

I expect I will be popping up for a while to ask questions and try to get feedback on my proposed house rules.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Welcome to the boards (officially)!

There have been many who have taken C&C and made it their own with a variety of house rules and conversions of other material. I think that the games relative 'modular' nature makes it easy to do so. We're pretty much a friendly bunch and we'd love to hear what you've decided to do or what you want to try.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

sieg
Unkbartig

Post by sieg »

Yeah, welcome aboard! Hope C&C is what you're looking for...or rather, you can tune it to what you'd like to play.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Welcome, again, and back.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Welcome ot the Crusade! We'll be happy to help you figure out what you want to do.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

MaxKaladin
Mist Elf

Post by MaxKaladin »

Thank you all for the welcome.

I think I probably came off on the wrong foot with my description of my previous C&C experience. I've basically come to the conclusion that a lot of my previous problems with the game were due to me not embracing the rules light philosophy behind C&C. Its been a long time since I played 1e or 2e and I was having a lot of trouble getting used to not having feats, skills and all the other myriad rules options I've come to love in 3e. Coming back to C&C this time, I've made a conscious decision to embrace that philosophy. I think I'll enjoy it a lot more that way.
Or maybe I'm just digging myself in deeper.

Matthew
Unkbartig

Post by Matthew »

You definitely will. The less random rolls and prescribed rules in the game, the better, from my point of view. Of course, the siege system provides numerical structure for those who desire it.
Welcome back to the crusade, MaxKaladin!
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after ones own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I definitely recommend a detox period from 3E. I certainly needed it. Then when you have fully detoxed (took me about 5 months) you can then add in what elements you want back. Like I have adapted feats to the SIEGE system, and went ahead and did a pretty simple skills version of 10 to 13 skills outside of your classes.

So definitely kick back, relax, take it easy. Let all the uptight rules for every thing stress work itself out of your system, then find out the joys of simple, easy, and gets the job done.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Welcome aboard! It's funny because every gamer has a little bit of "captain crunch" in him that likes maybe just one more dice roll than they need. I actually meet someone on the DF forums locally who wanted to play some C&C and he started talking about running 2nd Edition instead. I told him that there are some people who just drag 2nd Edition stuff in (NWP and the like), but keep the siege mechanic and 3e-style bonuses (none of that traditional, flipped AC). He gave 2nd a shot with some of his nephews I think and then told me, "Yeah, you were right. I'm think that I'm going to run C&C, because going back to 2E was just to much of a change and so much more difficult to introduce to new players."

Indigo Rose
Red Cap

Post by Indigo Rose »

Hope you enjoy returning to C&C, Max! As I mentioned on another thread, one of the things I enjoy about the game is that it's so "house rules" friendly. We look forward to hearing what you've tried and how it worked out!

Just curious, where in Texas are you?

adaen
Red Cap

Post by adaen »

Amen to the House-rule-able comments for C&C. That is what its all about (to my mind).

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

'Tis a great game, C&C. You can use it as is, or with as many mods as you can and it always seems to be a great game. Best in your endeavors.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

MaxKaladin
Mist Elf

Post by MaxKaladin »

Orpheus wrote:
Welcome aboard! It's funny because every gamer has a little bit of "captain crunch" in him that likes maybe just one more dice roll than they need. I actually meet someone on the DF forums locally who wanted to play some C&C and he started talking about running 2nd Edition instead. I told him that there are some people who just drag 2nd Edition stuff in (NWP and the like), but keep the siege mechanic and 3e-style bonuses (none of that traditional, flipped AC). He gave 2nd a shot with some of his nephews I think and then told me, "Yeah, you were right. I'm think that I'm going to run C&C, because going back to 2E was just to much of a change and so much more difficult to introduce to new players."
My group has been talking about playing 1e again for a while, but every time I take a look at the old rules I just can't bring myself to want to run them. One of the things that's a big drawback to me is the old-style "lower is better" AC system and the accompanying charts. One reason I've gravitated to C&C has been that it's done away with a lot of the stuff I didn't like about 1e.

MaxKaladin
Mist Elf

Post by MaxKaladin »

Indigo Rose wrote:
Just curious, where in Texas are you?
San Antonio

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

MaxKaladin,

Welcome back to the crusades.

I think you will find that C&C is very "house rules" friendly, you can also use what ever d20/AD&D/OD&D rules you want. You can make C&C as easy or complicated as you and your players desire.

For example, I tried using the skills and weapon mastery rules from the old D&D Rules Cyclopedia, and even though these rules weren't exactly my cup of tea as printed (I ended up modifying them), they were easily adaptable to C&C.

I think you will find C&C is what you are looking for in a RPG, at least it was for me.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Indigo Rose
Red Cap

Post by Indigo Rose »

MaxKaladin wrote:
San Antonio

Cool, I was born in San Antonio! Lived there for about twelve years before my dad was transferred to another city. I still miss the place sometimes, but I imagine after all this time it's greatly changed from what I remember... Maybe one of these days I'll get back there for a weekend.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Hey Mac,

Welcome back to the Crusade. I hope you find the whole experience a bit better. There is more to choose from now and we have a very expert editor on staff with Cory and hosts of other changes to make the experience as delivered more enjoyable. And I have to extend a hand to the folks on these boards, as always cool and polite. I hope you can get your whole crew over to play the game.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
troll@trolllord.com