Getting Ready for FREE RPG DAY!

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Getting Ready for FREE RPG DAY!

Post by moriarty777 »

Well, just 15 minutes away from where I live is an interesting FLGS who is not only participating in tomorrow's Free RPG Day, but is also making an event of it.

Following the heels of the D&D event a couple of weeks ago, they are running a variety of games based on the offerings of the day! For the volunteers who have stepped up to make the day an even bigger success (the few people running the games), they got the a copy of the module of the game they are running a bit ahead of time.

Being a dedicated Crusader that I am, I volunteered to CK and introduce some potential newcomers to C&C as well as answer questions I might get regarding TLG's newer offering -- Star Siege!

The little C&C adventure is very short but that is to be expected. Reading it over, I've decided to rearrange the map a bit and add another surprise or two. I'm also going to go all out I think... get some extra stuff printed... take the time to create some pre-gens... a few extra flyers talking about C&C, blank character sheets, and that sort of thing. I might even run a game a couple of times tomorrow (and hopefully get some playing done myself in other offerings). I was thinking of bringing the Beacon adventure as well in the event that some of the players who participate in one wish to participate in the other.

I'm quite a bit excited even though I have a bit of work ahead of me tonight.

How about you guys? Any of you doing anything special or particular tomorrow?

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

I just met a guy who moved up here to Portland, OR from San Francisco, two weeks ago. He's a C&Cer and we'll be running a demo game at our flgs tomorrow too.

Further, we'll be running/playing a C&C game every Wednesday night at the flgs now as well. We've drawn in two players already who are new to C&C, and by playing at the flgs every week, we hope to draw in some more. The woman who runs the flgs swears Portland is a 4e town, but we aim to prove her wrong!

What flyers are you planning to pass out Moriarty? I would do that too, if I had something to print out.

Go Trolls!!

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Who was the online company that allowed us to get Free RPG day stuff last year? My 54 mile away LGS isn't participating again.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Dang dacha...too bad gas is so whacked out. I'd be tryin to get up there to join in the fun! (instead of gettin dragged off to the Tillamook cheese factory)
To coin a MMORPG phrase: 4e is for twinks.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Foxroe
Hlobane Orc

Post by Foxroe »

Moriarty/Dachda - Man, I envy you guys! Sounds like you'll have a good time. Can't wait to welcome all of the new recruits!

-Fox

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Quote:
Who was the online company that allowed us to get Free RPG day stuff last year?

Noble Knight Games.

I'll be going into Crazy Egor's for my FRPGD stuffies, and whatever else I happen to see to buy. :) Just in time for ORIGINS, too... muahaha

Matthew
Unkbartig

Post by Matthew »

I will be heading into Newcastle tomorrow morning with a friend of mine to find out what the score is at the Travelling Man. When I spoke to the staff there last week, they didn't know what they were going to be expected to do (apparently, they don't get much advance notification), so it's a bit up in the air.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after ones own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Dang dacha...too bad gas is so whacked out. I'd be tryin to get up there to join in the fun! (instead of gettin dragged off to the Tillamook cheese factory)

Wife or girlfriend dragging you to the Tillamook cheese factory? What's with women and that place. I've known a bunch of women who want to stop there whenever they are out there on the coast. I've managed to avoid it so far.

it would have been fun to meet you up here though. If it's possible to change plans we'll be at Guardian Games.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:
Noble Knight Games.

I'll be going into Crazy Egor's for my FRPGD stuffies, and whatever else I happen to see to buy. Just in time for ORIGINS, too... muahaha

thank you! Checking their site they aren't doing FreeRPG day until Wed. Good.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

dachda wrote:
I just met a guy who moved up here to Portland, OR from San Francisco, two weeks ago. He's a C&Cer and we'll be running a demo game at our flgs tomorrow too.

Further, we'll be running/playing a C&C game every Wednesday night at the flgs now as well. We've drawn in two players already who are new to C&C, and by playing at the flgs every week, we hope to draw in some more. The woman who runs the flgs swears Portland is a 4e town, but we aim to prove her wrong!

What flyers are you planning to pass out Moriarty? I would do that too, if I had something to print out.

Go Trolls!!

I'm going to do up a FAQ sheet about the game... or try to anyway which will also include a bit of a product listing, including a small blurb about the contributions that Gygax has done regarding Yggsburgh and stuff.

However time is running out!

I've been playing with Dundjinni to do up the encounter locations for the adventure. A few mini's and those should add a bit of flash to my game... though I purposely left out the gridlines! I was also thinking of printing up the reviews (or taking parts of my reviews) I wrote for the C&C core books with appeared in the first Domesday issue as well and some houserules I will be using. The FAQ is probably the most important thing. My angle is that C&C is the game you already know how to play (so-to-speak).

Anyway... back to work for me!

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I've got to call the new FLGS(approximately 35 minutes away) to see if they're participating. Would like to have the StarSiege guide even though two friends, and I were lucky enough to help playtest.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I'm head out in a few mins to a nearby FLGS (I'm Game, North Olmsted - Great Northern Mall, Ohio) to chat up some C&C, but unfortunately won't be running any events this year.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Wife, mother-n-law, and daughter....

I'm outnumbered 3:1.

HEY! Do I get extra xp for the encounter?!?

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

GOtta call my store this morning. Even though I've been exposed to STarSiege and have all of the C&C items, I'd still like to peruse the quick starts. The new store is fantastic, but I hope they were ready for free rpg day. It's been nearly two weeks, maybe I should go anyway. *must buy something* Actually, I spent nearly 90.00 on the 10.00 sale, and there will be the Zagyg Upper Works pre-order, etc. So, maybe I'll have to reconsider spending any money. Plus, I'm sure the comic book store wants me to pick up that overly-large pile that's sitting there, as well. And, there's the truck payment, and other bills. *end of rant* That is all.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Wife, mother-n-law, and daughter....

I'm outnumbered 3:1.

HEY! Do I get extra xp for the encounter?!?

Depends upon how much gold you spend on buying cheese!! Plus the boredom survivial xp bonus.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Went to my gaming store, which moved closer to me. Friendly, yes. Local, yes. Gaming? Little role playing, lots of Magic: The Gathering and miniatures. I was disappointed in their role playing selection, which is unfortunate, but given the environment of today, not unsurprising.

Picked up the following:

Traveller Book 0

C&C Quickstart 2008 (for the adventure, since I have Quickstart 2007)

StarSIEGE Quickstart

HrnMaster Quickstart

Tunnels & Trolls 2008 Quickstart (more durable cover on this one than Quickstart 2007)

The less important stuff, should it become available after Free RPG Day, I may get.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

lucky you guys....nearest LGS to here is 100 miles or so away.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Go0gleplex wrote:
lucky you guys....nearest LGS to here is 100 miles or so away.

The nearest participating store to me is over 120 miles. Thats approximately $64 in gas for my 15 MPG vehicle. Round trip.

Akira MacKenzie
Henchman

Post by Akira MacKenzie »

Sigh... I was hoping that some of my local game stores would have participated, but it was not to be. The two closest cities that had stores taking part were in Janesville and Sheboygan, both long (and with gas prices, expensive) hauls for me. I was really hoping to get a hold of the Starsiege Demo and Traveller Book 0 for my group (not all of them have the rules yet).

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I lucked out, I guess, but then again I do live next to the state capital.

So I am now the proud owner of the Quick start rules for both Starsiege (can't wait to read that!) and C&C, which I had in PDF format, but now I have a nice print version and a new adventure to use!

SWEET!

Inspired by Moriarty I hovered around the Free table at the shop (Zombie Planet In Albany, NY if anyone's curious (it's a GREAT RPG store, BTW)) advocating for C&C... potential Big Score was the camp counselor who does RPGs with the kids ... so here's hoping we may have a gaggle of new C&C gamers there.

So COOL! My first look at starsiege and more adventure material for C&C. SWEET!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

My local game shoppe only allowed people to pick one item per person, and there was a big rush the moment they opened the doors so I didn't get what I wanted.

1. New C&C quickstart

2. Star Siege quickstart

You can imagine that I was crushed, but at least I managed to buy the last Blackmoor supplement (Clock & Steam) to finish my collection, plus a copy of Zombies 7: Send in the Clowns.
I'm going to try to get copies from Noble Knight on Wed, but does anyone know if one or both will be PDF versions I can get ahold of sooner?

Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society

C&C Playtester in 2003
OD&D player since 1975
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

I hate all of you.

anonymous

Post by anonymous »

My local did not participate. How can I get a .pdf of the StarSiege Quickstart, which was all I really wanted?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Dr Rotwang! wrote:
My local did not participate. How can I get a .pdf of the StarSiege Quickstart, which was all I really wanted?

I suspect they'll handle it like they did the C&C Q Start rules last year. So you'll likely see it put up for download in the next week.

Matthew
Unkbartig

Post by Matthew »

I got tons of stuff! StarSiege Event Horizon - Introductory Manual
Castles & Crusades - Quick Start Rules
Traveller Book 0: An Introduction to Traveller
Tunnels & Trolls - Take the Money
Hollow Earth Expedition - Stranded in the Hollow Earth
A Song of Ice and Fire - Quick Start Rules
HarnWorld - Field of Daisies
PathFinder - The Revenge of the Kobold King,
Dungeon Crawl Classics - Punjar the Tarnished Jewel
Iron Heroes - Bloodwood,
Dungeons & Dragons - The Treasure of Talon Pass
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after ones own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

S.Baldrick
Ungern

Post by S.Baldrick »

Between two FLGSs in my area, I managed to pickup the following:

Traveller Book 0

C&C Quickstart 2008

StarSIEGE Quickstart

Tunnels & Trolls - Take the Money

A Song of Ice and Fire - Quick Start Rules

PathFinder - The Revenge of the Kobold King,

Dungeons & Dragons - The Treasure of Talon Pass

Hunter: The Vigil

All in all, a good haul.

Foxroe
Hlobane Orc

Post by Foxroe »

Is Traveller Book 0 and intro to T5?
-Fox

Matthew
Unkbartig

Post by Matthew »

Foxroe wrote:

"Traveller Book Zero is an introductory booklet designed to give players an understanding of the rules and mechanics in this latest incarnation of the classic science fiction roleplaying game"

Akira MacKenzie
Henchman

Post by Akira MacKenzie »

Foxroe wrote:
-Fox

Actually, it's for Mongoose's new version of Traveller. T5 is still in the works.

Foxroe
Hlobane Orc

Post by Foxroe »

Meh. Riki-Tiki-Traveller doesn't do it for me. I was hoping for a T5 sneak peak.
-Fox