Love Your FLGS - It Loves You

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
serleran
Mogrl

Love Your FLGS - It Loves You

Post by serleran »

OK, maybe not. But, they do tend to need customers. Without us, they go away, and without them, we have fewer ways of getting good stuff. Like today.

I went into a game store, the only one I know of that's remotely "close" (not Crazy Egor's, by the way.) They were having a $5 RPG blowout special, to honor 4th edition. So, basically, everything previous to then was on awesome discount. :)

I got:

A1-4: Scourge of the Slave Lords (has map book) [needed better copy]

CM3: Sabre River [needed one with the cover]

XL-1: Quest for the Heartstone [who doesn't want Warduke?]

WG6: Isle of the Ape [didn't have one]

PC3: The Sea People [had recently sold one and didn't have one]

T1-4: The Temple of Elemental Evil (has map book) [figured I could resell /trade it]

OAD&D Monster Manual 2nd print [at that price it was a no-brainer]

Edge of the Sword Volume I: Compendium of Modern Firearms [research]

Codex of Erde in shrink-wrap [just wanted another one]

A Magical Society: Beast Builder [figured I'd see what was so awesome about it]

So, yes... love your FLGS. Love them well. :)

Oh, and as an added bonus (I did not get these at the FLGS, but across the street...)

XBOX (it was $20 and I didn't have one)

Night Caster: Defeat the Darkness (XBOX game - $5)

Sudeki (XBOX game - $5)

Heavenly Guardian (Playstation 2 game - fiance wanted it)

Warriors of the Eternal Sun (Sega Genesis)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Original Nintendo)

Battletoads (Original Nintendo)

Ultima (Original Nintendo)

Wizardry (Original Nintendo)

Dragon Warrior (Original Nintendo)

So, all in all, I think I got lots of goodies.

Anyone else have good experiences with summer extravaganzas?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

In a word? No.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

cuchulainkevin
Ulthal

Re: Love Your FLGS - It Loves You

Post by cuchulainkevin »

serleran wrote:
OK, maybe not. But, they do tend to need customers. Without us, they go away, and without them, we have fewer ways of getting good stuff. Like today.

I went into a game store, the only one I know of that's remotely "close" (not Crazy Egor's, by the way.) They were having a $5 RPG blowout special, to honor 4th edition. So, basically, everything previous to then was on awesome discount.
I got:

A1-4: Scourge of the Slave Lords (has map book) [needed better copy]

CM3: Sabre River [needed one with the cover]

XL-1: Quest for the Heartstone [who doesn't want Warduke?]

WG6: Isle of the Ape [didn't have one]

PC3: The Sea People [had recently sold one and didn't have one]

T1-4: The Temple of Elemental Evil (has map book) [figured I could resell /trade it]

OAD&D Monster Manual 2nd print [at that price it was a no-brainer]

Edge of the Sword Volume I: Compendium of Modern Firearms [research]

Codex of Erde in shrink-wrap [just wanted another one]

A Magical Society: Beast Builder [figured I'd see what was so awesome about it]

So, yes... love your FLGS. Love them well.
Oh, and as an added bonus (I did not get these at the FLGS, but across the street...)

XBOX (it was $20 and I didn't have one)

Night Caster: Defeat the Darkness (XBOX game - $5)

Sudeki (XBOX game - $5)

Heavenly Guardian (Playstation 2 game - fiance wanted it)

Warriors of the Eternal Sun (Sega Genesis)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Original Nintendo)

Battletoads (Original Nintendo)

Ultima (Original Nintendo)

Wizardry (Original Nintendo)

Dragon Warrior (Original Nintendo)

So, all in all, I think I got lots of goodies.

If my Flgs had that material I'd love them too. They one's close to my house only carried WOTC and White Wolf. When I asked about C&C, I got a blank stare from piercing-boy. When I mentioned Gygax he sneered.

I do believe they went under.
Games Plus in Mt Prospect isn't too bad- they at least carry alot of C&C and alternative systems. It's a bit of a haul to get there for me though, so I only go once every 2 months or so.
A Room Zoom Zoom. A Room Zoom Zoom. Gilly Gilly Gilly Gilly Ot Zat Za Come open the magic door with me, With your imagination there's so much we can see. There is a doorway that leads to a place. I'll find my way by the smile on your face.
Ah room zoom zoom, ah room zoom zoom. gilly gilly gilly gilly, gilly ah sa sa. Come through the magic door with me and see the things you never dreamed you'll see.

Taranthyll
Red Cap

Post by Taranthyll »

cuchulainkevin wrote:
When I asked about C&C, I got a blank stare from piercing-boy. When I mentioned Gygax he sneered.

I have an UFLGS (unfriendly local game store) about a ten minute walk from my house. The guy who owns it is a cantankerous old jerk who takes delight in accusing any teenager who comes in of shoplifting then throwing him out of the store. Anyway, shortly after Christmas I went in and asked him to order the C&C Monsters and Treasure book for me. He then went on a bizarre tirade about how he had brought the game in when it was first released and no-one bought it, and now I had the audacity to ask him for it. I ended up ordering it from Paizo with a bunch of Pathfinder stuff.

So, while I wholehearted support the concept of supporting local gamestores I just can't bring myself to shop at this one anymore.

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

I have two awesome game stores, and I frequent them. One twice a week, the other every month generally. Unfortunately, both are about ready to give up on gamers because gamers are an unreliable market who flail about at the slightest perception of an insult and take their business online after asking to break seals and browse inventory, and otherwise are undependable customers, unlike the comic geeks who spend half a paycheck weekly. The big box stores gave up because wee little geeks-on-training had a habit of stuffing books in their backpacks to browse at home, and didn't bring the books back.

I know the owners at both the game stores, and several of the big box stores. This isn't speculation. Yes, I'm an ex-brick and mortar small business manager . Why do you ask?

hth

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Unfortunately for them, my LGS is decidedly UNfriendly. Oh well, they forced me to take my several hundred dollars elsewhere.
The gaming store in my local mall is much better and I stop in whenever I can to buy something - Reaper minis, board games or dice.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Taranthyll
Red Cap

Post by Taranthyll »

Harry Joy wrote:
Unfortunately, both are about ready to give up on gamers because gamers are an unreliable market who flail about at the slightest perception of an insult and take their business online after asking to break seals and browse inventory, and otherwise are undependable customers, unlike the comic geeks who spend half a paycheck weekly.

A friend of mine runs a comic shop and carries a very small selection of games on the side, and I always assumed that comics were his bread and butter because, as you stated, comic readers are steady, reliable buyers. But, much to my surprise, he said that more and more of his income is coming from the gaming products and is overshadowing the comics - so much so that he had to reorganize to make more room for games.

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

Craziness. Canadia. Always catches me unawares.

Aladar
Lore Drake

Post by Aladar »

I have always had very good luck with my local store. Really nice folks, and they bend over backwards to get stuff for me (i.e. Special Orders).

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/
Lord Aladar
Warden of the Welk Wood
Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society
The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Wow, those are some amazing scores. The Slavers is one series I've always wanted to run, but never have had the chance. And Zelda II is an awesome game.

Happily, my LGS definitely deserves an F in front of it. I'm very happy to support them - they also have a comics branch, so it's often that I "double-dip."

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

There is one store that I frequent on a semi-regular basis. However, it's been a looong time since I've seen anything older than 3.0 on the shelves. They have a decent selection of C&C materials and minis (which is what I'm there for anyway). Have picked up some other misc. stuff at times, but nothing of the "$5 blow-out" variety.

Overall, it's not a bad place.

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Taranthyll
Red Cap

Post by Taranthyll »

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:
Wow, those are some amazing scores. The Slavers is one series I've always wanted to run

The 'A' series of slavers modules was one of the first published adventures I ever ran (I did run Keep on the Borderlands the first time I ever played D&D and I botched it up so badly I didn't run anymore published modules for a couple of years after that), and I have very fond memories of those sessions. Unfortunately I gave away or threw out almost all of my old gaming stuff when I moved away from home in my late teens (I joined the navy and kept only what I could pack in a duffle-bag). I've been thinking a lot about the slavers modules lately and wanting to convert them to C&C and run the adventure for my current group. I have the bound book with all four adventures in it, but it just isn't the same (and is missing the map book anyway, which is the most important part).

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

My FLGS more or less sucks. It did let me put up a flyer advertising for players, so I guess it doesn't totally suck. How lame is its collection? It didn't even have the 4E books when 4E was released. Just a lot of 3.X crap at full price. And a bunch of junk I don't want in banker's boxes on the floor.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

serleran wrote:

I love my FLGS,but they virtually have ZERO sales. I would say a sale comes up once every 2 years or so, and that it is usually on a small selection of items.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

The closest one to me has their lips firmly on a certain part of WOTC's collective anatomy and then they switch to White Wolf's for something new. Basically if it's not 3e or 4e, WoD or collectable it's not worth their time.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Teat. The word you wanted to say was teat.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<