Most hated genre, for rpg gaming or in general...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
cinderblock
Ulthal

Post by cinderblock »

Diceless systems......FREAKING WASTE OF TIME!!!!!!!!!!

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

cuchulainkevin wrote:
Anything "Storyteller" related.

I really wanted to like Changeling, and in fact, I did. Right up until the group got to the table and started playing. The character creation process with the ST I filled up the preceding weeks with was dandy. Sitting around with a group of actual dedicated WoD players, not so dandy.

hth

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Not crazy about the anime/manga stuff. Just not my cup of tea. The closest I even came to anything japanese art-related was Speed Racer reruns, and Battle of the Planets. Some of those initial Robotech novels weren't too bad, however. That said, no anime rpg's for me. I'll leave them to all of those Gun-damn kids. hehe Wouldn't be crazy about playing Legend of the 5 Rings. No disdain for it, but not my thing. Although, I love the old Shogun/Samurai Swords board game from Milton Bradley. Horror is a mixed bag for me. Victorian Horror(like RIppers from Savage WOrlds, or my friend's old Gurps 3rd ed. 1920's horror) is fine, but I'm not sure if I'd care for the WHite Wolf-ian horror games. Haven't played enough Steampunk to say. Might be cool.

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

i would agree with the steampunk. maybe thats why I hate everything eberron.

However, I dont see the whole hatred for westerns and horror. I love call of cthulhu. and, deadlands is a great game with a great storyline. maybe you guys need to give them a second chance.

FASAfan
Mist Elf

Post by FASAfan »

sieg wrote:
Not really a genre per se, but I can't stand RPGs based in books or movies (ie Middle Earth, Star Wars, Star Trek, B5, etc.). I'm not counting RPGs that eventually had novel/movie crossovers; just the ones that derive from them.

Too limiting to me, both as a player and GM.

My fondest gaming memories come from FASA's Star Trek: RPG. Of course, I was a sophomore in high school at the time, so that explains a lot of it.

I've tried to resurrect a Star Trek RPG using several different systems over the years, but I eventually lose interest. The whole franchise contradicts itself and to make matters worse, I think FASA's Star Trek (basically based on "Spaceflight Chronology", best Trek book evar!) is superior to the drek Paramount put out in the '90s & early 2000s.

Sadly, too, even the Trek-verse is a bit limiting.

Now, the one sci-fi setting I love that I can't possibly see myself running is Farscape! I mean, what do you do in that setting?

"Ok, you PCs are...outlaws...running from...Peacekeepers...in territories uncharted...yeah, that's the ticket...!"

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

There is a reason as to why FASA Trek sits on my shelf, while LUG Trek languishes in storage and CODA Trek remains un-bought.
My only attempt at creating a Star Trek RPG using a different system was with Classic Traveller. I never finished it, as I lost interest in doing it, plus there were some game balancing things I had to do that I didn't like.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Most hated genre, for rpg gaming or in general...

Post by Treebore »

finarvyn wrote:
I thought that SimonB wrote GFYG. Is he going by "Aramis" now?
Hmmm ... here's a "dislike" for you all... I love to read Mystery/Espionage (like James Bond, Raymond Chandler, Ross Macdonald). Give me a book featuring a good pulp detective and I'm usually pretty happy.

However, I find it to be a frustrating genre to DM/play because

1. Solving a mysery requires an actual mystery to be plotted out in advance.

2. If it's too simple the players don't feel like it's a mystery.

3. If it's too complicated the players don't "get it" and it's no fun.

4. Systems like Gumshoe hold some promise until you realize that they're set up for the players to always win no matter what they do, and at that point it gets painful to play.

5. Systems like James Bond 007 are well designed but all of the adventure modules were mostly re-hashes of the movies, which is somewhat worthless because all JB fans would have seen the movies already.

I just can't find a good way to pull this genre off, and I hate that.

Simon did write it, Aramis is the board ID of the CK for the game.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

SaintNiddle
Ungern

Post by SaintNiddle »

I'm with y'all on the storyteller games..no larping for this guy. That's just..too much.

I'm sad to hear all these people hating steampunk. I am quite fond of it as a genre, but not really for gaming. I hate the thought of Warforged. No one has gotten it right yet. I actually have started doing some steampunk art and think it's a lot of fun. To each his own, I guess.

sieg
Unkbartig

Post by sieg »

I know what you mean, Saint.... Especially with Victorius coming out in the next several months or so!
Though I will be the first to admit that Steampunk isn't for everyone. Hell, I was lukewarm on the subject until Indigo Rose forced me into reading some of the Douglas 'Irene Adler' novels and other Victoriana. Not to mention my PhD work on ironclad-pre WWI navalism....all conspired to make me a real fan of the genre.

Note I like stuff in the Victorian age; "Aetherscope" (sp?) by Goodman Games doesn't really appeal to me; since its "modern" steampunk.....though I intend to put such into Victorious as a possible campaign setting for those who do like it.

Actually, I find the dislike of anime gaming more surprising. I don't like it myself (though I like some anime to watch)...though i freely admit my only experience with it was Palladium's Robotech. Which wasn't bad per se; I just don't like a game that takes 2 hrs to build a character that's killed in the first 10 minutes of play. I also (as noted earlier) don't like gaming in settings based on books/movies...though I must say FASA's DOCTOR WHO is an exception. Probably because there's just so bloody many possibilities there you don't feel constrained by the setting material.
But again, to each their own!

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

I can tolerate most RPG settings/genres. But, if I had to pick one that I really don't care for too much, it would have to be steampunk - just not my cup of tea.

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Indigo Rose
Red Cap

Post by Indigo Rose »

Western RPGs are my least favorite; although that might partially be due to Sieg and Oizmir's (from Dragonsfoot) years of joking about how I was going to run a Boot Hill/Call of Cthulhu crossover game... And then "Deadlands" comes out a few years later, which is basically exactly that! Go figure...

Here's another vote for Steampunk!

SaintNiddle
Ungern

Post by SaintNiddle »

I hear you on the modern steampunk. I definitely like the Victorian era better. That being said, I really do like the mechanomancer from the Unknown Armies system. Go figure..lol.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

I think Western for me to. It's not that I don't like westerns, it just doesn't strike my fancy as milieu for RPGing.

Did I just say "milieu?"

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Indigo Rose
Red Cap

Post by Indigo Rose »

seskis281 wrote:
Did I just say "milieu?"

That's vintage Gygaxian there, seskis! Now work "dweomer" into a sentence, and you'll be a pro!

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I never played Eberon, but I liked some of that setting actually. As for Deadlands....great, great, and more great. Love it. Not to derail too much, but I would love to play some more Star Trek. Actually played the old FASA back in the day. Fun times, but I don't know how we made it through the clunky rules. Good source material. Can't say enough about that. As for the LUG Trek, I own practically every book, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I own all of the books for Decipher's Trek(which was written by most the LUG people, including Steve Long of Hero Games). Looked pretty good, as well. Just never got a chance to play it. Star Trek is so huge that it's a daunting task when considering a conversion to Savage Worlds, or something. But, if one starts small....

sieg
Unkbartig

Post by sieg »

Indigo Rose wrote:
That's vintage Gygaxian there, seskis! Now work "dweomer" into a sentence, and you'll be a pro!

...don't forget verisimilitude!

Indigo Rose
Red Cap

Post by Indigo Rose »

...show off!

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

shadoes wrote:
Man I love steam punk. One world that doesn't work for me RPG wise is the warhammer 40K one. to limiting to the players on what faction they play.

Dude you're blowing it, bad! WH40K is made of awesome.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Dude you're blowing it, bad! WH40K is made of awesome.

Yes it is. To date it is the only sci-fi'ish game that has blown me away. It is the rare game that could actually lure me away from fantasy gaming for an extended period.

sieg
Unkbartig

Post by sieg »

Re: WH40k....

But....it *IS* Fantasy gaming! Just with guns!

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Nah, my homebrew is fantasy gaming. Just with guns.

WH40k is sci-fi gaming. Just with fantasy.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Dragondaddy wrote: I think Westerns could be really fun if done right, Aces & Eights is looking a bit too detail oreinted for me to run, Having done a once over of the book now, It's lookin' to be a real time-sink. Maybe d20 Past will serve better?

Dd, I don't have my copy of D20 past in front of me, but it seemed to be very limited given the small size of that softcover book. Past is a pretty bold title to be in such a thin little volume. D20 Apocalypse, and maybe their future companions were pretty good, but Past not so much. As for Aces and Eights, I wish I had given the book a pass. Seems to be bogged down like some of the more difficult original Avalon Hill games. Mind you, they weren't all bad. Some of the source material...day to day old West living, professions, and pictures of all firearms was useful, but the system was overwhelming.