I purchased a novel for my wife from [name removed]

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

I purchased a novel for my wife from [name removed]

Post by slimykuotoan »

...and a hidden microchip fell out.

No joke

Will post pic shortly

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

You are in the middle of a spy movie. As much as you may want to just stop, don't. Some hot chick that is fighting the evil 'terrorists' will show up and beg for your help. She will look a lot like Scarlett Johansson.

Don't fight it.

Click here: http://tiny.cc/4rvo5

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

It's funny because it's very flexible, has an adhesive side, and looks like it was supposed to be a plain white sticker which blended into its surrounding pages.

I thought only Gillette did this:

'Wal-Mart and Procter & Gamble conducted a secret RFID trial involving Oklahoma consumers earlier this year, the Chicago Sun Times revealed on Sunday. Customers who purchased P&G's Lipfinity brand lipstick at the Broken Arrow Wal-Mart store between late March and mid-July unknowingly left the store with live RFID tracking devices embedded in the packaging. Wal-Mart had previously denied any consumer-level RFID testing in the United States.

"It proves what we've been saying all along," says Katherine Albrecht, Founder and Director of Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering (CASPIAN). "Wal-Mart, Procter & Gamble and others have experimented on shoppers with controversial spy chip technology and tried to cover it up. Consumers and members of the press should be upset to learn that they've been lied to."

The Sun Times also reported that a live video camera trained on the shelf allowed Procter & Gamble employees, sometimes hundreds of miles away, to observe the Lipfinity display and consumers interacting with it.'

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

A US consumer privacy group launched a campaign on Monday calling for a worldwide boycott of Gillette products. The group claims that Gillette is infringing privacy rights by installing electronic tags into razor blade packaging to trigger security cameras when when customers pick a packet off the shelf.

The electronic tags, known as RFID (radio frequency identification) tags, comprise a microchip and a tiny antenna that transmits data from the chip to a reader. The reader is activated whenever the antenna comes into range and the data can be used to ring up a purchase or trigger an event, such as opening a door or, in Gillette's case, triggering a camera. Usually the range is no more than a few feet.

Privacy group CASPIAN (Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering) is calling for a boycott of Gillette. Earlier this year, it called for a boycott of Benetton, when the clothing company announced that it was also considering use of RFIDs in its clothes.

"We have corroborated evidence that a Gillette 'smart shelf' is fitted with radio frequency identification (RFID) devices."

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

slimy, all that little thing does is trigger the alarms if you attempt to walk out the door without paying for the book. Walmart has had those things in CDs and DVDs for years (and I peel them off whenever I buy a DVD or CD).

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Traveller wrote:
slimy, all that little thing does is trigger the alarms if you attempt to walk out the door without paying for the book. Walmart has had those things in CDs and DVDs for years (and I peel them off whenever I buy a DVD or CD).

That's all they do currently, but don't underestimate the technology. They are putting them into our passports now too, so all our personal information is waiting for some identity thieves who have figured out how to hack into the radio encryption. I already don't like that all my purchases can be tracked via credit cards. Some of us like our privacy and don't feel it should be invaded so a big corporation can track our spending habits and try to sell us more product. And that's assuming that's all they use the information for. Sorry if I'm ranting or feel like I am, but this kinda stuff bugs the hell out me.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

Well, naturally, we all have the choice as to where we purchase goods. If a retailer putting anti-shoplifting tags on their goods strikes anyone as a privacy violation, they are free to shop elsewhere.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I don't buy into the big brother theories of this stuff. If you've ever met a corporate stooge or officer you'll soon see that they are lucky enough to have the brains to tie their own shoes.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Fiffergrund
Lore Drake

Post by Fiffergrund »

Julian Grimm wrote:
I don't buy into the big brother theories of this stuff. If you've ever met a corporate stooge or officer you'll soon see that they are lucky enough to have the brains to tie their own shoes.

Not only that, those things help keep prices down. Every time someone steals something, the cost of that loss gets wrapped into the price of everything else purchased legitimately.

He Who Hides Behind The Elephant's Back
Marshal Fiffergrund, Knight-Errant of the Castle and Crusade Society

Dragondaddy
Hlobane Orc

Post by Dragondaddy »

slimykuotoan wrote:
A US consumer privacy group launched a campaign on Monday calling for a worldwide boycott of Gillette products.

"We have corroborated evidence that a Gillette 'smart shelf' is fitted with radio frequency identification (RFID) devices."

Hey, no way! They make the best razors on the market. If Gillette wants to track my razors from the supermarket shelves to the bathroom sink, to the dump, they can be my guest. They should be put on the sexual predator list for that though.

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Everything that I read about that Chicago Sun Times story regarding the makeup custoemer field research made it clear that people shopping knew about it as signs were clearly posted and the RFID's were disarmed when they left the store (as usual). Those things are not the "Number of the Beast" chips that some people seem to think that they are. Slimy, were you really suprised by that thing? Had you not seen an RFID until now? I occasionally find one in things that I purchase and plenty of places use them for inventory management as they work far better (for the most part; you do have to be pretty close to scan them) than bar-code stickers. Lord knows if they used them at the plant where I'm an accountant I wouldn't have to do so much fiddling with inventory from period to period. "Well we couldn't get them to scan so we just shipped them...without letting you know."

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I know about alarm/metal stuff so you don't steal books, etc. and I take them off as well.

I had a computer engineer friend look at this thingy today, and it's a bonafide microchip.

Apparently it sends a signal when it's in the field of a certain radio wave.

Unfortunately there's nothing in the way of information regarding its manufacturer...

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

Slimy: That's definitely a RFID chip.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

Thegreenman
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thegreenman »

These RFID chips, as are sometimes in driver licenses and other cards, can contain a lot of your personal data, and are frequently and easily hacked. If you are worried, carrying your cards in a Altoids tin may help.
Quote:
"The RFID Hacking Underground

They can steal your smartcard, lift your passport, jack your car, even clone the chip in your arm. And you won't feel a thing. 5 tales from the RFID-hacking underground.

By Annalee Newitz

James Van Bokkelen is about to be robbed. A wealthy software entrepreneur, Van Bokkelen will be the latest victim of some punk with a laptop. But this won't be an email scam or bank account hack. A skinny 23-year-old named Jonathan Westhues plans to use a cheap, homemade USB device to swipe the office key out of Van Bokkelen's back pocket.

"I just need to bump into James and get my hand within a few inches of him," Westhues says. We're shivering in the early spring air outside the offices of Sandstorm, the Internet security company Van Bokkelen runs north of Boston. As Van Bokkelen approaches from the parking lot, Westhues brushes past him. A coil of copper wire flashes briefly in Westhues' palm, then disappears.

Van Bokkelen enters the building, and Westhues returns to me. "Let's see if I've got his keys," he says, meaning the signal from Van Bokkelen's smartcard badge. The card contains an RFID sensor chip, which emits a short burst of radio waves when activated by the reader next to Sandstorm's door. If the signal translates into an authorized ID number, the door unlocks.

The coil in Westhues' hand is the antenna for the wallet-sized device he calls a cloner, which is currently shoved up his sleeve. The cloner can elicit, record, and mimic signals from smartcard RFID chips. Westhues takes out the device and, using a USB cable, connects it to his laptop and downloads the data from Van Bokkelen's card for processing. Then, satisfied that he has retrieved the code, Westhues switches the cloner from Record mode to Emit. We head to the locked door.

"Want me to let you in?" Westhues asks. I nod.

He waves the cloner's antenna in front of a black box attached to the wall. The single red LED blinks green. The lock clicks. We walk in and find Van Bokkelen waiting.

"See? I just broke into your office!" Westhues says gleefully. "It's so simple." Van Bokkelen, who arranged the robbery "just to see how it works," stares at the antenna in Westhues' hand. He knows that Westhues could have performed his wireless pickpocket maneuver and then returned with the cloner after hours. Westhues could have walked off with tens of thousands of dollars' worth of computer equipment - and possibly source code worth even more. Van Bokkelen mutters, "I always thought this might be a lousy security system."
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.05/rfid.html

And lest you think this is just for uber geeks, you can buy all the hacking equip online, So any idiot can do it.
http://rfidiot.org/#What_is_RFIDIOt

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

"once a tagged item is associated with a particular individual, personally identifiable information can be obtained and then aggregated to develop a profile," the U.S. Government Accountability Office concluded in a 2005 report on RFID.

Federal agencies and law enforcement already buy information about individuals from commercial data brokers, companies that compile computer dossiers on millions of individuals from public records, credit applications and many other sources, then offer summaries for sale. These brokers, unlike credit bureaus, aren't subject to provisions of the Fair Credit Reporting Act of 1970, which gives consumers the right to correct errors and block access to their personal records.

Most recently, receivers for such RFID products have shown up in such locations as airports and the hotel industry, prompting critcs to question why corporations collect 'non-consumer information' from their customers."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I am an underground hacker. There is just so much dirt down here. Dorien is, too.

Thegreenman
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thegreenman »

you can buy a rfid signal blocking wallet from Amazon.com just search for RFID wallet

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I've got nothing to hide. Let 'em track me. Maybe if I get too close I can meet the old men of the Illuminati and step on their air hoses. I'll worry when the chips are forced to be put in our right hand or forehead.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Julian Grimm wrote:
I'll worry when the chips are forced to be put in our right hand or forehead.

done!
http://www.wanttoknow.info/cbscnnimplants

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Dug around there a bit and missed the MIB documents and reptid alien reports.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Just to expand; I find conspiracy theories better fiction that most books out there. Never was a believer and probably never will be.

JRR
Hlobane Orc

Post by JRR »

Fiffergrund wrote:
Not only that, those things help keep prices down. Every time someone steals something, the cost of that loss gets wrapped into the price of everything else purchased legitimately.

And so, to stop some few thieves, they treat all of us as thieves. I object to that.

Will your stalwart band choose to Fight, Advance, or Run?

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Having worked in loss prevention I can verify that is the thought. Not only do you treat all customers as potential thieves but all the other employees as well. And sadly I busted more employees than I did outside people.

Also I do have to agree with the theory to treat all as potential thieves. You have no clue how many little old ladies, housewives and other more 'harmless' types we busted for stealing.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The adage being: it is not wrong until you are caught.

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

Julian Grimm wrote:
...You have no clue how many little old ladies, housewives and other more 'harmless' types we busted for stealing.

Having spent a HUGE chunk of my life in LP, I agree. I learned a tidbit when I was 18, that if you want to know who your shoplifters are, look at your customer profile. No, that doesn't mean all your customers are thieves. What it means is, if .05% of your customers are short, Jewish transgendered Tango fans, then .05% of your thieves are short, Jewish transgendered Tango fans. Also, while 75% of shrink is internal, most of that is paper shrink and another huge chunk is vendor fraud. People think that internal means employee theft - not necessarily.

hth

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

True however the store I was at was near a military base and had a large turnover. Meaning many of the employees transferred to another store or quit before they could be caught, we knew they were doing it but couldn't catch them. Vendors were a problem as well. It was a nightmare watching everything that was going on there. And personally I'd like to get back into LP but not at that store.

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Julian Grimm wrote:
Just to expand; I find conspiracy theories better fiction that most books out there. Never was a believer and probably never will be.

I don't believe 'em one bit. I've got plenty of friends, however, who totally buy into any of that stuff. 9/11 Truth Movement and the like. They make great plots for some Cthulhu games however. I'm Catholic and find the Da Vinci Code to be a load of crap (for the record: I'm fairly certain that Dan Brown found a theory interesting enough about which to write a work of fiction and doesn't believe it wholesale), but it is the type of stuff which makes for great puzzling game material and I don't see it any differently than Harry Turtledove material. The problem is when people accept the fluff research that goes into fiction as being worthy enough to discredit something else for which there is oodles of scholarly research or tradition. It's kind of like taking Indiana Jones as a hardcore history lesson.

Thegreenman
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thegreenman »

and I suppose you believe Oswald acted alone?

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

It still is a valid theory. It is also possible he didn't. That's about as far as I go though. The illuminati, big brother, the NWO, black helicopters, Denver International Airport and all that I find just as likely as a story in the Weekly World News.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Honestly guys, to think that the rich elite don't want to stay in power is a little naive...

Hmm, do the billlionaires out there, who influence policies and run governments, ever do bad things?

I wonder...