The Dark Knight...

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
seskis281
Lore Drake

The Dark Knight...

Post by seskis281 »

... rocks!
Seriously, we saw it this afternoon and it is simply stunning work all around. Heath Ledger's performance is all it's hyped to be. The rest of the cast is just as good, especially Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent.

It's rare that a movie shocks or surprises me, and this one actually did at certain moments.

See this one.

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Excellent, I hope to see this!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

Nice. I haven't seen a good swashbuckling crusader type movie in ages. Is the Dark Knight based on a real historical figure, like the Black Knight or such? Harvey sounds awful English.

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

Harry Joy wrote:
Nice. I haven't seen a good swashbuckling crusader type movie in ages. Is the Dark Knight based on a real historical figure, like the Black Knight or such? Harvey sounds awful English.

It's a Batman movie, directed by Christopher Nolan (who directed Memento and The Prestige) and starring Christian Bale (who starred in Equilibrium and The Prestige). They did a previous movie called Batman Begins which was arguably one of the rare movies that got the Batman feel right.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

What, a BATMAN? What is this world coming to?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Well, Batboy had to grow up, eventually.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

9.0 / 11.0

Yep, this movie is good. To be honest, The Dark Knight isn't even a comic book movie. If you take off the Bat Suit, you have yourself and epic crime drama with no superheroes what-so-ever. I thought that all of the talk surrounding Heath Ledger's performance was mearly hype for the film and rabid fanboys selling the performance on a massive scale. I will have to say I am wrong. Heath Leger's performance as an absolute psychotic criminal is extremely good. I'm not sure about Oscar worthy, but so far this year there has not been a performance that has stood out so much as Heath Ledger playing the Joker.

The Dark Knight is EPIC. There has never been a comic book movie like this before. The scope is breathtaking, and the thrills keep getting bigger and bigger as the movie progresses. The characters are extremely deep and the writing is top-notch.

However, I'm not going to say that this movie is perfect, hence the 9.0 official Omote rating. The movie is a bit long, and somewhat drags at the end, though just a bit. The editing is very quick to TDK, making this movie continually moving with virtually no slowdown. This manic pace did start to wear me down in the 2nd hour of the movie. There is very little exposition leading from scene to scene. The quick editing of the movie simply "plops" the viewer into the next scene. Obviously this editing pace was intentional, or The Dark Knight would be a 3+ hour long movie. I think the screenwriters and the director understood this from the beginning because the "quick-cuts" between scenes were as close to perfectly edited as can be. Another issue I had with TDK keeping it from a potential 9.5 or even a perfect 10.0 rating was the moral choices of the characters. Many times throught the movie the characters are presented with epicly moral choices. This is due to the criminal minds of the various protagonists, but there are many such morality plays in the movie and any more would be grating on the nerves. The Dark Knight is utterly dark in tone and character, and hyper violent for a PG-13 rating. My advice is to leave the young kids at home for this one.

Overall, The Dark Knight is epic movie-making that literally shatters the preconcieved notions of what a comic book movie is supposed to be. The writing is tight and the characters are dynamic. The performances of all the main characters are just as good and often better then in Batman Begins, with a few particularly strong performances from Heath Ledger (Joker), Aaron Eckhart (Harvey Dent) and Gary Oldman (Lt. Jim Gordon).

This movie should not be missed in theaters.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

froglegg
Ungern

Post by froglegg »

Saw it friday night and yes it was good You should not miss it.

GreyLord
Hlobane Orc

Post by GreyLord »

I'll be the dissenting voice here. Ledger showed how vast his acting skills were, and acted completely different then we've ever seen him. Perhaps his best performance.

However, I'm not going to shine a movie just for that.

Batman Begins was a better movie in my opinion.

Dark Knight starts off well, but drags on for far to long. I wasn't exactly bored, but I WAS asking myself (or more like mentally screaming) When the heck is this movie going to end.

To many climaxes in a building crescendo which leaves you fooled...and kind of anti-climatic by the third or fourth time.

In addition, the entire movie is depressing, which I suppose is okay in a way...if that was thier intent. Not planning on seeing the movie again at the big screen.

It should have ended before it ended, with the Joker getting away to fight another day (best I can say without putting in a big spoiler).

Nice movie, but not as good as the first.

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

Harry Joy wrote:

Wow! This reads so much better when I enable "sarcasm" within my web browser.
I'm not a big comic-book-movie guy, but this does look good and when I did read comics I had a penchant for the DC stuff. It's nice to see it getting the serious treatment which it deserves. I want to see this one and the new Mummy which is coming out. The air seems to be getting a little "pulpy" again in Hollywood, which is nice. There's supposed to be a new Shadow film in the works by Sam Raimi. Hopefully Lamont Cranston will get the modern treatment that he deserves as well.

Thegreenman
Hlobane Orc

Post by Thegreenman »

The question is... Does it compare to Iron Man?

In other words, it is a comic book turned movie, or does it transcend the genre?

ssfsx17
Unkbartig

Post by ssfsx17 »

I just got back from seeing it. The best way I can describe it is that it is two incredible and well-done films with the distinctive touch of Christopher Nolan compressed into one tightly-packed film that doesn't let you breathe too much. I enjoyed it on its own merits apart from ties to the Batman line, and sometimes, you even forget that the characters you are seeing on screen are also from comic books.
C&C/D&D-related writings, Cortex Classic material, and other scraps: https://sites.google.com/site/x17rpgstuff/home

Class-less D&D: https://github.com/ssfsx17/skill20

Orpheus
Ulthal

Post by Orpheus »

I just got back from seeing it.

f**k BAD ASS!!!!!

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

GreyLord wrote:
I'll be the dissenting voice here. Ledger showed how vast his acting skills were, and acted completely different then we've ever seen him. Perhaps his best performance.

However, I'm not going to shine a movie just for that.

Batman Begins was a better movie in my opinion.

Dark Knight starts off well, but drags on for far to long. I wasn't exactly bored, but I WAS asking myself (or more like mentally screaming) When the heck is this movie going to end.

To many climaxes in a building crescendo which leaves you fooled...and kind of anti-climatic by the third or fourth time.

In addition, the entire movie is depressing, which I suppose is okay in a way...if that was thier intent. Not planning on seeing the movie again at the big screen.

It should have ended before it ended, with the Joker getting away to fight another day (best I can say without putting in a big spoiler).

Nice movie, but not as good as the first.

I agree.. Nice movie but Heaths performance was good by not oscar worthy like the hype makes out

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Thegreenman wrote:
The question is... Does it compare to Iron Man?

In other words, it is a comic book turned movie, or does it transcend the genre?

I liked Iron Man a lot...and The Dark Knight kicked it's butt, stole its watch, and took off with its girl. It is that good. I've seen it twice already (once on Saturday and once on Sunday). And this coming from a 100% Marvel comic reader (Cpt. America and the Avengers) for 25 years.

This is the best superhero/comic adaptation ever, IMHO. This is probably in my Top 3 films of all time.

YMMV
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I will compare TDK and Iron man the following way: Iron Man is a great, great comic book movie with good characters and a great leading actor. The Dark Knight is excellent, gritty and a very dark, epic crime drama with complex characters, and tight writing.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Iron man was by far the best "Marvel" interpretaton done to film.

The Dark Knight, probably the best DC universe interpretation done. Best use of Frank Miller and Alan Moore's interpretations of the Bat and the Clown we've thus far seen.

Only thing that took away from my enjoyment of the TDK was the fact that they ran the Watchmen and the other Frank Miller preview before it!

I was all geeked to see Dark Knight, and see if it lived up to the hype and surpassed expectations (it did). However the whole time im sitting there going, wow as awesome as this is, I really really want to see Watchmen!

On that note... waiting for Serl to kick in and let us all know how bad it sucked
Case

P.S.

Just kidding Serleran, I really do enjoy your dry wit and lack of compassion for pop culture. Its a refreshing blast of reality for the lot of us!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Ya, someone finally got Batman right. And the Joker was hilarious.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Galadrin
Hlobane Orc

Post by Galadrin »

Just saw this. I would have to say, my LEAST favorite part was...

SPOILERS*SPOILERS*SPOILERS

When the kid next to me BLEW CHUNKS ON ME AND MY GIRLFRIEND.

Well, at our feet anyway. Thanks humanity.

Oh well, it looked like Bale (a favorite actor of mine) and Ledger did very well, impressive as usual. The lead female was terrible, and the rest were so so. I obviously missed large parts of the film while cleaning off my brand new sandals in the bathroom.

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

My humble opinion on the subject at hand:
TOTAL

HARD

CORE!!!

I knew from the second we saw the bunch of clowns (no, not the ones in Congress - these ones are actually looking you in the face when they steal your money) robbing the bank, with William Fichtner as the ethically questionably manager, that this piece of film work was going to Rock the House. Heath Ledger, bless him, deserves every accolade thrown his way, regardless of how things turned out for him personally. Christian Bale, Michael Caine, and the incomparable Morgan Freeman were the Gibralters of moral certainty, and Aaron Eckhart (sp?) also gave an excellent turn as Harvey Dent - it's only too damned bad they put the character to such a swift and unhappy ending in this one.

Special rising cheer for Maggie Gylenhaal, who - I felt - gave the Rachel Dawes part a real set of teeth that had been largely absent from Batman Begins. I was seriously captivated by how she made the character come to life this go round; and as a consequence, her fate in Dark Knight was - again, for me anyway - a completely unexpected and shocking moment.

Standing ovation, lastly, for Chris and John Nolan, and David Goyer: Guys, you have pulled Batman out of the storytelling Abyss he was condemned to with the wasted Tim Burton/Joel Schumacher years. God and all His little angels willing, this - and similarly high-quality works like Iron Man - will set the standard for following superhero stories in the future.

huds0n
Red Cap

Post by huds0n »

Well the wife and i were like two of 23 people who had yet to have seen TDK. We were able to break away this morning and head to our brand new IMAX theater here in Little Rock.

I was very concerned that after hearing all of my friends and co-workers go on and on about this film that i wouldn't live up to they hype.

Luckily i was not disappointed. To sum it up, TDK is the best film I've seen this year.

Trolllord Games

Convention Coordinator

Executive Director - TrollCon, Winter Dark
richard@trolllord.com

------------------------------------------

ALEA IACTA EST - THE DIE IS CAST

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

I still havent gotten out to see this film yet
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Apparently, it's still breaking records!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Telhawk
Hlobane Orc

Post by Telhawk »

Quote:
Apparently, it's still breaking records!

As it damn well should!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Haven't watched it, and likely will wait until its no longer talked about to do so -- I often find what others to be enjoyable to be rather... not for me, so I avoid anything that "everyone" says is awesome, simply because I don't believe it. ;)

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

serleran wrote:
Haven't watched it, and likely will wait until its no longer talked about to do so -- I often find what others to be enjoyable to be rather... not for me, so I avoid anything that "everyone" says is awesome, simply because I don't believe it.

The eternal voice of optimism.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach