Of Gods and Monsters

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
DaveyB
Red Cap

Of Gods and Monsters

Post by DaveyB »

Any idea when this will be available for pre-order? This is one I'm really looking forward too (along with PHB 4th printing) and a few others!

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

In the immortal words of Eric Cartman....

I hate you guys....

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

After that picture, I got some time to look through the book, and James Ward has hit a home run in my book! Plus the art is great, and is done in a variety of styles to reflect the "flavor" of each pantheon.

Kudo's to the Trolls to get a bunch of these printed up for us before the weekend was over. Poor Steve and Casey stayed up past 4 AM Saturday morning to make it happen. I know James stayed up pretty late giving it his last thorough editorial look over before Steve took it home and worked on ti with Casey to finish it up for todays print run.

Those of you who have me buying you stuff already, PM me to let me know if you wish me to get anything else for you. Of Gods and Monsters soft cover is $20.

The corrected Heart of Glass, with cool high gloss map, 2 sided, is also here.

In fact, Breakdaddy was generous enough to get me a copy as a birthday present. Thanks BD! I greatly appreciate it!

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Treebore wrote:
After that picture, I got some time to look through the book, and James Ward has hit a home run in my book! Plus the art is great, and is done in a variety of styles to reflect the "flavor" of each pantheon.

Kudo's to the Trolls to get a bunch of these printed up for us before the weekend was over. Poor Steve and Casey stayed up past 4 AM Saturday morning to make it happen. I know James stayed up pretty late giving it his last thorough editorial look over before Steve took it home and worked on ti with Casey to finish it up for todays print run.

Those of you who have me buying you stuff already, PM me to let me know if you wish me to get anything else for you. Of Gods and Monsters soft cover is $20.

The corrected Heart of Glass, with cool high gloss map, 2 sided, is also here.

In fact, Breakdaddy was generous enough to get me a copy as a birthday present. Thanks BD! I greatly appreciate it!

Hope you enjoy it! Had a great time with you guys and I hope to do so again next year. I also know I will see you at Gen Con in but a month's time, so I'm looking forward to that as well
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Hope you enjoy it! Had a great time with you guys and I hope to do so again next year. I also know I will see you at Gen Con in but a month's time, so I'm looking forward to that as well

I definitely had a great time too, and look forward to seeing you and the others next month!

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Excellence!!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

DaveyB
Red Cap

Post by DaveyB »

More info! This is a book I'm very interested in and any information would be great!

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

DaveyB wrote:
More info! This is a book I'm very interested in and any information would be great!

Several different mythos are present such as American Indian, Roman, and Airdhe. All of the Gods have statted avatars that are more or less mortal. Most if not all of the new pantheons have new spells associated with them for their worshippers to enjoy. Airdhe for example has a spell list associated with worshippers of the big gods that came after the all father such as Corthain. Lots of new art in this book, I actually really liked the Airdhe art best of all personally.

I have thumbed through this book but not read it thoroughly yet so this information is accurate to the best of my knowledge. I hope that Jim Ward can shed additional light on this or anyone who has had time to give it a more thorough read through!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

No thorough read-through yet, but I like what I see. I was already intrigued by Jim's halfling/G&M-related article in a recent issue of Crusader. Opinions are like @-holes, everbody's got one, but I'll at least comment on some of the art. The G&M cover may be my favorite of all the "current printing" core books. In a way, I think it captures what the book is all about. There are tons of great sketches throughout the book. Jason Walton's beastie sketches are always good, as well as some of the other creatures in the Aihrde section. Some of them will be familiar from the Aihrde pdf's. Also some good stuff in the humanoid pantheons, halfling, elf, dwarf, celtic, and greek sections. Ah, Hell. I'm probably forgetting a great many others. As for bits that I would personally use(straight from the book)...mostly fantasy-based pantheons. Although, I would borrow certain elements from the Earth-based material. Still too early to say. Not fair to comment too much until I do a proper read through. Jim, Peter, Stephen, and company, you should be proud of this new release. I look forward to getting double-dipped with the hardcover.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

I am mostly excited to have the newer racial pantheons to play with - I liked the preview of the Halfling ones in Crusader and want to see the others....

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Sounds pretty awesome! I'm looking forward to GenCon so I can finally get a hold of this joker and see for myself. If it's anything like the Crusader preview, I should be pleased.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Great book.

Don't want anyone to overplay anything I had to do with it. I was there for moral support and to use a bit of my own designers eye to catch a thing here or there and fill a quick gap with an emergency art piece.

This book is all about Jim's awesome writing, Peter's art direction, art, layout and Steve's force of will and ability to stay up VERY late at night to steer things to their inal conclusion!

I also think we should throw some adulation Mark Sandie's way. Mark's behind the scenes printing, trimming, binding, and overall grunt work are seldom mentioned. If you don't know Mark, he is the Go-DoTroll of the lot. When something absolutely must get done Mark go-do it!

C.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I realize only some of us have G&M at this point, but I thought there'd be more discussion. Bring it on! I'll have to do a complete read through before giving an overall impression.

old school gamer
Red Cap

Post by old school gamer »

Hey Treebore, you look really familiar, you didn't by any chance attend Necronomicon in Tampa, Florida about two years ago did you?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

old school gamer wrote:
Hey Treebore, you look really familiar, you didn't by any chance attend Necronomicon in Tampa, Florida about two years ago did you?

Nope, I have only been to Gen Cons and Troll Con.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Treebore wrote:
Nope, I have only been to Gen Cons and Troll Con.

He looks like a gamer who haunts the Central Florida area (mainly Polk County). Can't remember his name, though. He played many a Battletech games at an old comie/game store in Winter Haven.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Lord Dynel wrote:
He looks like a gamer who haunts the Central Florida area (mainly Polk County). Can't remember his name, though. He played many a Battletech games at an old comie/game store in Winter Haven.

All together now. "Walkin through the convention with the gamer with no name..."

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

gideon_thorne wrote:
All together now. "Walkin through the convention with the gamer with no name..."

Hehe. If I can ever find a picture of the guy, I'd post it, but I haven't seen teh guy since the game store in my town closed down some years ago. I know he's still around, though, because I see his co-gamers every now and then. The resemblemce is kind of uncanny.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Errata:

I have spotted a couple of minor things on prior pages, like two handed sword of one of the gods being spelled "tw-handed", however a glaring error, IMO, is on page 13, under the god Ea Lor, in the grey boxed text he is referred to as Poseiden in the Taboo description, and then later in the main text. Since he is a god of Airhde, and Poseiden is later done in the Greek Chapter, this seems to be a pretty big mistake to me.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Treebore wrote:
Errata:

I have spotted a couple of minor things on prior pages, like two handed sword of one of the gods being spelled "tw-handed", however a glaring error, IMO, is on page 13, under the god Ea Lor, in the grey boxed text he is referred to as Poseiden in the Taboo description, and then later in the main text. Since he is a god of Airhde, and Poseiden is later done in the Greek Chapter, this seems to be a pretty big mistake to me.

I don't have the book and I know that Poseidon is Greek but I seem to recall Poseidon also listed among the gods of Erde (like Demeter for instance).

Curious...

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

James M. Ward
Red Cap

Post by James M. Ward »

I don't think Poisidon is a mistake. I thought I took it from the gods section of the Codex, but I can't find my codex. Could someone who is organized better than me look in their codex and see if I'm right.

James M. Ward

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

James M. Ward wrote:
I don't think Poisidon is a mistake. I thought I took it from the gods section of the Codex, but I can't find my codex. Could someone who is organized better than me look in their codex and see if I'm right.

James M. Ward

Page 58 of the Codex of Erde refers to Poseidon: King of the Gods, Lord of the sea. Page 13 of OG&M refers to EA-LOR as Lord of the Seas as well so it appears that Ea Lor and Poseidon are one and the same as far as Erde canon goes. If one reads the text of OG&M this isnt exactly clear, but if you refer back to the codex you will make the connection.
-Genghis Khan

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Breakdaddy wrote:
Page 58 of the Codex of Erde refers to Poseidon: King of the Gods, Lord of the sea. Page 13 of OG&M refers to EA-LOR as Lord of the Seas as well so it appears that Ea Lor and Poseidon are one and the same as far as Erde canon goes. If one reads the text of OG&M this isnt exactly clear, but if you refer back to the codex you will make the connection.

Then it would be a good idea to put something like, "Ea-Lor (aka Poseidan)" some where in the description, otherwise it looks like a big editing mistake.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Treebore wrote:
Then it would be a good idea to put something like, "Ea-Lor (aka Poseidan)" some where in the description, otherwise it looks like a big editing mistake.

I'll hit Steve up about this when I speak with him and see what can be done on it. I've got a list of things to holler at him about.
-Genghis Khan

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Of Gods and Monsters

Post by gideon_thorne »

I'll flag this for Steve's notice. But if these questions are directed at Jim, it would be better to ask him in the Gods and Monsters thread under the product listing. I don't believe Jim has access to answering questions in this bit.

But, its my impression that the answers are, in order:

I believe its intended to replace the normal cleric progression with weapons vs a given foe.

The fighter specialization

And I expect its per level.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Everyone in this thread is correct!!! LOL

I actually went through and changed the text to read Ea-Lor. Though that god is named poseidon in the Codex, its retooled for the folio and will be again for the April release of the Codex Revised.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
troll@trolllord.com

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Troll Lord wrote:
I actually went through and changed the text to read Ea-Lor. Though that god is named poseidon in the Codex, its retooled for the folio and will be again for the April release of the Codex Revised.

Steve

Codex Revised? in April? Sweet. Gotta post this in a new thread. Steve, I hope you wanted to release this news! lol.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

James M. Ward
Red Cap

Post by James M. Ward »

Steve

On page 34 of the gods booklet, my one-eyed giant seems to have two eyes.

Jim

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

A two-eyed, one-eyed giant. That'll be harder to fix. I'll have to check out my copy.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

tylermo wrote:
A two-eyed, one-eyed giant. That'll be harder to fix. I'll have to check out my copy.

Only one eye works at a time.

Peter Bradley