Umbrage Saga box set

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Omote
Battle Stag

Umbrage Saga box set

Post by Omote »

If you haven't thought about taking a look at the Umbrage Saga box set, you should reconsider. Originally I considered not picking this up because I own the modules and 1 or two of the .pdf expansions of the Blacktooth Ridge material.

The reasons I did pick up this box set were because, like you, I am a huge fan of TLG and I was really interested in seeing the new maps from artist Pete Bradley. But other than that, there seemed to be little need for this box set.
The Umbrage Saga box set includes:

*174 page adventure book

*8.5" x 11.0" color, detailed adventure map of Blacktooth Ridge

*13.0" x 19.0" brilliantly colored map of South-Eastern Cradle of the World

First off, the new 13x19 map of the area is the best map TLG has put out to date. Pete Bradley really shows his increasing talent for beautiful map-making. Great stuff. I've got to figure out how to get a copy of just this map so that I can hang it up on the gaming room wall.

The massive adventure book is really put together well for a big softback book, and the layout is impressive. You can tell that whomever did the layout really took a lot from the latest Players Handbook. The layout is crisp, clean and very nicely organized.

But the real good stuff is in the adventures (and a nice new piece of artwork on page 2!). The first 60 or so pages deals with A0-Rising Knight and all of the Blacktooth Ridge series. I remember reading that there was new material added to this box set, and perhaps my memory has faded but it seems like there is a lot of new material. These pages contain adventure, but are also a sourcebook for this part of Aihdre. Aihrde fans will not be disappointed in that!

While I have not run any of the adventures from A2 on, and really I never consided doing so before, The Umbrage Saga box set has completely changed my mind.

I was really, really surprised at how nice this adventure box set is. In fact, I have already moved the old A-series modules to the part of my shelf I seldom look at. The Umbrage Saga box set completely replaces those old modules and looks damn spiffy.
Preliminary Omote Rating: 9.5 / 11.0

*Easily one of the best products TLG has put out to date

Thanks for reading.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

anonymous

Re: Umbrage Saga box set

Post by anonymous »

Out of curiosity, is the adventure the complete text of the first modules, or is it "campaignified"?

By which I mean, are the modules complete, or have they been rewritten to form one gigantic mega-module? The old B-series of modules were rewritten as "B1-9" and ended up cutting out pieces . . . not at all what I wanted.

Thanks!

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Is it actually available now? I just went to the website and it shows as a pre-order. Even though I have A1 through A4 I would still like to get this set.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Omote, thanks for this report. I too have been on the fence about this product and now I'm going to buy it for sure.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Nothing is cut out, only material added.

I think I may have mentioned my enthusiasm for this particular product already, but I second what Omote said above.... this is one of the best products overall TLG has put together. For anyone new to C&C, I recommend highly this box along with the new print of PHB & M&T to make up a core starter set.

For those who already have A mods, this is actually worth still getting because of the excellence of the new map & the compilation of added materials from both PDF and new.

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

Oh, and the price is right . . and I'm a sucker/collector for boxed sets!!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Omote wrote:
First off, the new 13x19 map of the area is the best map TLG has put out to date. Pete Bradley really shows his increasing talent for beautiful map-making. Great stuff. I've got to figure out how to get a copy of just this map so that I can hang it up on the gaming room wall.

I rather enjoy drawing maps. Almost as much as I enjoy drawing women.
Quote:
The massive adventure book is really put together well for a big softback book, and the layout is impressive. You can tell that whomever did the layout really took a lot from the latest Players Handbook. The layout is crisp, clean and very nicely organized.

That would be me also.
Quote:
Out of curiosity, is the adventure the complete text of the first modules, or is it "campaignified"?

By which I mean, are the modules complete, or have they been rewritten to form one gigantic mega-module? The old B-series of modules were rewritten as "B1-9" and ended up cutting out pieces . . . not at all what I wanted.

Thanks!

Nothings been re written, just a fair few bits added here and there as noted.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Doug's Workshop wrote:

Good question, because I thought the exact same thing. To me it wouldn't really matter if it was campaignified or not, but I like that it's just, more or less, a series of interconnected modules, and they do not need to be run back-to-back. Choose Wicked Cauldron, and than go forward or backward one module. No problem it seems
seskis281 wrote:
I think I may have mentioned my enthusiasm for this particular product already...

In fact you did Ses. And matter of fact, it was your words from about a month ago that made me decide to just order up a copy instead of waiting. I'm glad I did. Thanks!
~O
VAE VICTUS!

Geleg
Ulthal

Post by Geleg »

i have to echo Omote's comments. I, too, had most of the mods and pdfs, and took a flier on this box. I was very impressed, most of all by the new layout of the adventures. peter's new look makes them a lot more user-friendly (and they were already pretty sweet before this). I am not sorry to have bought this box.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Omote wrote:
... Almost as much as I enjoy drawing women.

You are VERY GOOD at that!

-George Washington

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Well I'd have this work of art in my hands now if it wasn't for Canada Customs. Oh well, I'm sure that as soon as the TLG guys get the return package it'll come back *gift* and I won't have the same problems.

It was a easy purchase for me as I am on the newer end of things and hadn't invested in any of those modules.

Still good to hear that the product is so good.

anonymous

Thanks!

Post by anonymous »

Well, thanks to everyone for the info.

I'm a new convert to the C&C brand, and was impressed by the PH and M&T books I picked up last week.

The boxed set is on my short list, and over the past few days I started wondering about the utility of the set. I much prefer original works with additional notes about how to link everything, since that provides me as a GM more flexibility.

Sounds like the Trolls did a great job. I'm glad to support them.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Thanks!

Post by Rhuvein »

Doug's Workshop wrote:
Well, thanks to everyone for the info.

I'm a new convert to the C&C brand, and was impressed by the PH and M&T books I picked up last week.

The boxed set is on my short list, and over the past few days I started wondering about the utility of the set. I much prefer original works with additional notes about how to link everything, since that provides me as a GM more flexibility.

Sounds like the Trolls did a great job. I'm glad to support them.

Welcome, brother.

I hope you enjoy the game!!

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Just ordered it... couldn't help myself after reading such positive stuff.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

I ordered it thru my FLGS. Has it been released to the distributors yet?

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

Omote is speaking the truth. I was a bit on the fence but ordered this anyways. It is great for all the reasons he mentioned.

Kos
Hlobane Orc

Post by Kos »

Does it contain alot of new material on New Anochia? I really liked the setting and adventure combo of Heart of Glass, is it simmilar? I already have the modules want to know how much else is in it.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I got mine (based on the praise in this thread!) and it goes look sweet.

Can't answer your question Kos, but the book and maps are slick. it looks like weeks or months of fun!

There's some space in the box too, my copy of Black Libram of Nartarus fits inside also. So it can really be a big pack o fun
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The more and more I read through the box set, there does seem to be new naterial sprinkled throughout, but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison between Umbrage Saga Box Set and the A0-A5 modules. I haven't finished reading through all of Umbrage Saga yet. I think I ended around page 100 or so. Most of the new material seems to be towards the front of the book, and that maybe due to all of the included material from the .pdf releases of Blacktooth Ridge material.

Though there does seem to be a few more tidbits of setting information, I can't tell you exactly what is new and what is not. My guess would be that there is not too much more setting information, if any, regarding New Aenochia specifically. I think most of the brand new material is encounter information as well as brand new encounters.

I would compare the Umbrage Saga Box Set to the old Basic D&D super module B1-9 In Search of Adventure. Though, I think the Umbrage Saga box set blows B1-9 completely out of the water in almost every possible way. It's just plain better.

Sorry couldn't be more help.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Just an additonal note. If you are a fan of the classic TLG adventure/sourcebook The Heart of Glass, the map presented in the Umbrage Saga box set gives you the best area map for Ihlsa and the whole Confederation of Torrich. The Heart of Glass with this map rocks something fierce.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Omote wrote:
Just an additonal note. If you are a fan of the classic TLG adventure/sourcebook The Heart of Glass, the map presented in the Umbrage Saga box set gives you the best area map for Ihlsa and the whole Confederation of Torrich. The Heart of Glass with this map rocks something fierce.

~O

That does it, I need a copy of Umbrage Saga for sure!! Love Heart of

Glass and Ihlsa.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I hate you all, now I need the heart of glass!
Question, what exactly is in the box? I've got the book, a big foldout map of part of Erde, and a 1 sheet tan map of Botkinburg to Malforten...the one available for free DL, but finally having a color version is sweet, it's labeled "A series"

The back of the box lists a "map booket"... is that in the big book or is my box missing it?
Bill D.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

There was no map booklet in the copy that I have either. Not sure.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I figure it's all there and I'm misreading it.
Bill D.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Relaxo wrote:
I figure it's all there and I'm misreading it.

Not misreading the little back box - my guess is the intent was to do the maps that are in the mods and adventure material into a separate map booklet, and that was the way when the order went to Steve's box-maker, but that they decided to keep the maps in the one adventure perfect bound book.

In addition to the perfect bound should be the new regional map and the A series map

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Yeah that's what I've got, and the perfect bound is LOADED with maps, so that's prolly what happened.
Bill D.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Just got my copy a few days ago and I love it. This is a great boxed set!!!

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

This is what I am partially basing my next campaign on. I felt that with limited time a mixture of this and some of my ideas was the best way to go. Though, I am probably setting this in FR.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

Grabbed this at Gen Con, and was absolutely not disappointed. I've barely had time to read through the first couple pages, but on just the flip-through, there are maps galore (including the ultra-tasty full color poster foldup!) and enough to keep me riveted for a long while.

Good call, O!

Egg of Coot
Hlobane Orc

Post by Egg of Coot »

Thanks for a breakdown on the contents, Omote. I was going to pass the pass box by as well - already had all the modules. I've added it to the 'to get' list for when money isn't so tight.

The Egg

PrimEvil Studios on Facebook. Be a fan.

PrimEvil Studios is on Facebook. Click here to become a fan.