What boardgame(s) are you playing?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Post by TheMetal1 »

Diplomacy is one of those games I have but have yet to play. Looks good though, just need a good group to play with.

Omote,

What's you're take on Runebound 2 - is heavier or lighter than Talisman? What about Descent are you going to switch over to the new version when it hits? How does it play?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Runebound 2nd Edition is the exact same game as the 1st edition. The card text has been cleaned up and the rules have been expanded to cover the many rules exceptions a game will come across. Honestly, I'm not sure why I like the game. It's fairly boring as players simply roll the dice, move to a hex and beat the drawn card challange. There's not a ton of interaction between the players so games can be sort of lackluster IMO.

As for weight, it's a bit more weighty than Talisman to learn and play only because their are a lot of rules for a game like this. Talisman could be explained in 3-4 pages or so, while Runebound is about 8-10 pages. It's not complicated to play, but there are a lot of timing rules and weird bits to Runebound. Talisman is nowhere near as problematic in this regard

Descent is pretty cool for only ONE reason: the custome colorded dice mechanic the game uses to calculate damage and skill. It's fun to roll all the dice for weapon/spell damage. As we play a Descent campaign, we also get to roll all of those neat black, silver and gold skill dice. Descent is a cool dungeon-crawler, but ultimately (other then the dice mechanic), Warhammer Quest is better in almost every way.

That being said, our gaming group will probably try out Descent 2nd editon. The changes to the Overlord's actions look worthy (no more 10,000 chits to count) and the game has been tweeked to allow for better campaign play. Campaign play with 1st edition is just too clunky. I do hope Descent 2 is more like Warhammer Quest, more RPG-like.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Got Castle Ravenloft for Christmas... we've played one game so far (me and the kids) and I actually liked it quite a bit. Hoping to play again this weekend with my son... a longer session to see how it goes.

MattyHelms
Ungern

Post by MattyHelms »

Tomb gets a ton of play around here. We've been playing a lot of Defenders of the Realm with the kids lately.

We used to play a lot more FFG games, but the setup and tracking time for Arkham Horror and Descent got to be too much for the three hours every few weeks we can get everyone together. I may have to check out the enhancements in the second edition of Descent.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

TheMetal1 wrote:Diplomacy is one of those games I have but have yet to play. Looks good though, just need a good group to play with.
The game itself has very simple rules. Adjudicating the actions of troops is very complicated, so you need someone who can do that effectively.

I hope you can find a good group. Every good group I've played with someone left with hard feelings, even grudges, because of the out-right betrayal that is the core of the game.

I've played A Game of Thrones, which is somewhat similar, but there is just something about Diplomacy that makes it more than a game.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Just Jeff
Red Cap

Post by Just Jeff »

I got in a bunch of gaming over Christmas.

I taught: Runebound, BattleLore, Ticket to Ride, and Titan: the Arena. (This was my first time to play Runebound with more than two, and as I feared, four players is way too slow.)

New to me: Bazaar, Power Grid, Dominion, Scotland Yard, and Pandemic (which I will probably buy for my wife and I to play).

Also played: Bohnanza, Set, and Settlers of Catan.

I received the Runebound expansion The Frozen Wastes as a gift.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

serleran wrote: Add any of the world expansions, and it just gets even more naughty. The one thing I must say I like about it is the outdoor maneuvering dice mechanic.
Indeed. The dice rolling outddor mechanic is the single best aspect of the game. It's uber cool. We have decided to use the overland movement dice for a future Descent campaign, so that the game can continue outdoors in a more RPG-like campaign.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

doominicus
Ungern

Post by doominicus »

I am playing Key harvest: a game about auctions in order to buy fields and make groups of fields that make u win. The fields give crop counter that are used in order to buy further fields and so on... Nice and clever, it's made by Richard Breese, the author of Aladdin's dragon

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

Just played Castle Ravenloft again tonight with a friend. It was really fun. Only took us about 2 hours and we had a blast. Good game.

kajukenbo
Hlobane Orc

Post by kajukenbo »

Played Munchkin (the card game) a few times over the holidays.
It was fun for the most part but it did not scale well with 6 players.
The game became very drawn out and tedious.

I have considered trying the Ravenloft board game but I am not sure if it is worth the cost - or if the 8-year old would enjoy it.
She does alright with Munchkin.

Any opinions?

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

1997 Star Wars Monopoly.

kajukenbo
Hlobane Orc

Post by kajukenbo »

tylermo wrote:1997 Star Wars Monopoly.
LOL! I still have that on the shelf! I keep it put up "just in case"
I saw a Doctor Who Monopoly the other day that I almost bought "just because..."

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

kajukenbo wrote:Any opinions?
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers or just plain Carcassonne. For an 8 year old girl I'd go with; Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers. It is a stand alone game (No supplements) and has a wilderness theme. Pretty much the same rules, easy to learn but a definite strategic value to it. Carcassonne is one of the true family games, where it appeals to both adults and children.

kajukenbo
Hlobane Orc

Post by kajukenbo »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers or just plain Carcassonne. For an 8 year old girl I'd go with; Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers. It is a stand alone game (No supplements) and has a wilderness theme. Pretty much the same rules, easy to learn but a definite strategic value to it. Carcassonne is one of the true family games, where it appeals to both adults and children.
Sounds interesting.
Have you played it personally, with children?

Thanks

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Keep it put up just in case it fetches big money on ebay, or what? There was another one that came out in the 2000's. It's still wrapped up. I'm assuming the board is the same as the 97 version, but the pewter pieces are different.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

kajukenbo wrote:
Sir Ironside wrote:
Sounds interesting.
Have you played it personally, with children?

Thanks
Yes, what I posted was true in my case.

I think you can get it for around $20 but games stores vary.

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

kajukenbo wrote:Played Munchkin (the card game) a few times over the holidays.
It was fun for the most part but it did not scale well with 6 players.
The game became very drawn out and tedious.

I have considered trying the Ravenloft board game but I am not sure if it is worth the cost - or if the 8-year old would enjoy it.
She does alright with Munchkin.

Any opinions?
Played with my 14yr and my 10yr old boys... my youngest had a good time but he needed quite a bit of help with the rules. Of coures he's only played once. It's basically a dungeon crawl but it can get a bit busy with all the different options available. I think it's definitely worth the cost... very good quality and a lot of fun... but if your 8yr old doesn't want to learn a lot of rules you may want to wait...

kajukenbo
Hlobane Orc

Post by kajukenbo »

narpet wrote: Played with my 14yr and my 10yr old boys... my youngest had a good time but he needed quite a bit of help with the rules. Of coures he's only played once. It's basically a dungeon crawl but it can get a bit busy with all the different options available. I think it's definitely worth the cost... very good quality and a lot of fun... but if your 8yr old doesn't want to learn a lot of rules you may want to wait...
You are referring to the Ravenloft game, right? Thanks

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

kajukenbo wrote: You are referring to the Ravenloft game, right? Thanks
Yep... Ravenloft... good game.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Pulled out Munchkin Quest for a two player game with my wife. I've played it a few times before, but decided to revisit it last night. A lot of the same mechanics as Munchkin but with a few twists: Instead of just adding up all your bonus vs. the monster, Both your PC and the Monsters add at least one d6 in combat to their total. Instead of just losing and bad stuff happens, if you lose you lose a health point and then get a chance to run-away. The board games is a bit more involved though, so turns take a lot longer. We'll see how it goes as we're leaving it out on the table until we can finish it. After two turns, my wife is a Level 4 No Class Half-Bred (Halfling and Dwarf) and I'm a Level 1 Dwarven Cleric.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Candyland or Twister, whenever we go to visit the local grandkids.
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Need to break out TSR's classic Divine Right to brush up on the rules in order to run a session at GaryCon in March.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Volomyre
Ungern

Post by Volomyre »

I recently purchased Elder Sign. I have read alot of bad reviews about it, but I happen to like the game so far. All this talk of Heroquest and Talisman has had me breaking out the games and looking them over, unfortunately they aren't getting played.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Chess
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Just got together with some of my old gaming buddies and played Settlers of Catan. Hadn't played that one in years, we had time for one more game and our choices were TSR's Dungeonland, FFG A Game of Thrones, or Munchkin.

We opted for Munchkin as none of them had ever played it (except for me) but had wanted to for a long time. They picked up very quickly and it was a three-way tie at 9th level, but I manage to eek out a victory. Good fun, but I'm thinking I missed a chance to try out Dungeonland...
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Demiurge
Red Cap

Post by Demiurge »

I played a bunch of games at a con this weekend:
Alien Frontiers
Princes of Florence
Power Grid
Chicago Express
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

swhite58
Skobbit

Re:

Post by swhite58 »

Aladar wrote:Divine Right (Old TSR game).
I've had that game since 1979 - it's great. We don't often finish it though.

We also play Munchkin, Arkham Horror (the original version), Dungeon. Anyone played the Civilisation board game? We played that a few times but you need most of a day :)

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Lots of Warhammer Quest this weekend. It was spectacular.

~O
VAE VICTUS!