Troll Lord Games
http://www.trolllord.com/forums/

What boardgame(s) are you playing?
http://www.trolllord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8933
Page 7 of 14

Author:  Treebore [ Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Dracyian wrote:

I love me some MtG I don't think I could sell my cards or stop playing


\
I did, after Ice Age.

Author:  Dracyian [ Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Treebore wrote:
Dracyian wrote:

I love me some MtG I don't think I could sell my cards or stop playing


\
I did, after Ice Age.


Shortly after Ice age is when I started playing and I don't buy into all the new expansions but I do thoroughly enjoy the Urza Saga and the whole world, multiverse mechanics are pretty cool and some igneous creatures artifacts and spells exist in there, like counterspell

Author:  Omote [ Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:16 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Survive: Escape from Atlantis, and Warhammer Quest again (I got me some new dungeon tiles that I am looking forward to trying out). If you consider BattleTech a boardgame, which it practically is, then that too.

~O

Author:  serleran [ Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

.

Author:  TheMetal1 [ Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Dungeon Command.

I Picked the game up a while ago - Sting of Lloth and Heart of Cormyr. I left Cormyr in the shrink wrap but did the full unboxing for Lloth (punching out the tokens, putting the cards in sleeves, etc). I tried to set it up once before didn't get very far. As I had some time this 4th of July weekend (Happy Independence Day to all the American Trolls out there!). I went at it again with the Lloth set. Using the first time rules and playing against myself to get a feel for it. Then managed to get my wife to join me in a game. We both enjoyed the game. Overall, I'd recommend it.

It plays pretty fast and I'm sure any wargaming or MtG player catch on rather quickly as it incorporates elements of both: Tapping of cards, immediate responses, etc. with tactical movement, hit points, etc. It has good strategy and lot of depth to pull from and that was just from one game with one box set. I'm not that into deck building (or in this case warband building), so no need for me to buy 4 box sets to maximize a particular warband. That being said, I would as a completest love to get the other 3 box sets

Author:  tylermo [ Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

After the summer, my friend and I will resume trying out Axis and Allies WWI. We only played one round, so it's too early to say. Game needs more chips. Anyway, Troll James and I have been parked next to (while working the Troll Lord booth at DieCon)a couple of guys who made their own board game. We met them last year, and actually played the demo this year. Loved it. The game is called Quicksilver. It's a dice and card driven airship racing game. Hex map with mountains and clouds, the other side features buildings. Cardstock obstacles are included (gun turrets, extra clouds, and mines). Game has pretty good production values. Each race is different and random. You can be a gentleman racer, or try to attack your opponents. Some elements of Circus Maximus, to a degree at least. Check it out at splitsecondgames.com.

Author:  Desrimal [ Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

A quick boardgame-question: Have any of you played Descent Journeys in the Dark (2nd ed) and can you recommend it as a two-player game (one overlord and one other player controlling two heroes)?? It's for sale at 35% off so I'm considering if I should buy this game.

Author:  Zudrak [ Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

tylermo wrote:
After the summer, my friend and I will resume trying out Axis and Allies WWI. We only played one round, so it's too early to say. Game needs more chips. Anyway, Troll James and I have been parked next to (while working the Troll Lord booth at DieCon)a couple of guys who made their own board game. We met them last year, and actually played the demo this year. Loved it. The game is called Quicksilver. It's a dice and card driven airship racing game. Hex map with mountains and clouds, the other side features buildings. Cardstock obstacles are included (gun turrets, extra clouds, and mines). Game has pretty good production values. Each race is different and random. You can be a gentleman racer, or try to attack your opponents. Some elements of Circus Maximus, to a degree at least. Check it out at splitsecondgames.com.

I'm really interested in hearing more about A&A:WWI. My wife is a former history teacher and WWI was her favorite subject, followed closely by the American Civil War.

Author:  Treebore [ Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Desrimal wrote:
A quick boardgame-question: Have any of you played Descent Journeys in the Dark (2nd ed) and can you recommend it as a two-player game (one overlord and one other player controlling two heroes)?? It's for sale at 35% off so I'm considering if I should buy this game.


I've only played it once, so far, with 4 of us playing, so cannot say how it plays with just 2. I would guess it will play fine, but cannot be sure since I haven't tried it that way.

Author:  TheMetal1 [ Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Was able to get a few games in of Cars Wars (Card Game), Space Hulk: Death Angel, and Chomp (a slap jack/war variant with colorful cards) over the weekend.

Author:  Omote [ Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:35 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

I think we're going to get a run in of Warlords of Europe this weekend.

~O

Author:  Buttmonkey [ Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

TheMetal1 wrote:
Was able to get a few games in of Cars Wars (Card Game), Space Hulk: Death Angel, and Chomp (a slap jack/war variant with colorful cards) over the weekend.

Is the reprint of Car Wars out yet?

Author:  Sir Ironside [ Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Buttmonkey wrote:
Is the reprint of Car Wars out yet?

Yes, I would say so.

They are all pdf's but they give you templates to make your own cars etc.

Including the hard to get; Auto Duel Quarterly makes it even sweeter.

Author:  Buttmonkey [ Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Sir Ironside wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:
Is the reprint of Car Wars out yet?

Yes, I would say so.

They are all pdf's but they give you templates to make your own cars etc.

Including the hard to get; Auto Duel Quarterly makes it even sweeter.

Those look like PDFs of the old stuff. When SJG was doing its Kickstarter for Ogre, I thought I read they were planning on rereleasing Car Wars in hard copy, possibly in a new edition.

Author:  Frost [ Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Really enjoying Cyclades and Cadwallon: City of Thieves.

Playing a ton of Elder Sign at lunch at work.

Author:  Sir Ironside [ Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Buttmonkey wrote:
Those look like PDFs of the old stuff. When SJG was doing its Kickstarter for Ogre, I thought I read they were planning on rereleasing Car Wars in hard copy, possibly in a new edition.

Reprinting wasn't the best word then. New version would've made it much more clear.

All I know is the success of Ogre means that they will do a new version of Car Wars. (Probably in the same format, but who knows?)

When? I'd guess not for awhile. They are very much into Ogre right now and Ogre took quite awhile to get right.

Author:  Treebore [ Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Sir Ironside wrote:
Buttmonkey wrote:
Those look like PDFs of the old stuff. When SJG was doing its Kickstarter for Ogre, I thought I read they were planning on rereleasing Car Wars in hard copy, possibly in a new edition.

Reprinting wasn't the best word then. New version would've made it much more clear.

All I know is the success of Ogre means that they will do a new version of Car Wars. (Probably in the same format, but who knows?)

When? I'd guess not for awhile. They are very much into Ogre right now and Ogre took quite awhile to get right.



Yeah, Car Wars is coming along, but it will probably be late next year before we see anything approaching OGRE in size/scope, but we should see the "pocket additions" a bit sooner.


If you backed the OGRE KS you could've/should've joined the "Uber Secret Car Wars Reborn" forum.

Which reminds me, I need to go check the OGRE KS pages because they were hoping to post pictures of the stuff at the factories in China. They posted the dice yesterday.

Author:  TheMetal1 [ Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

We planned on our C&C game yesterday continuing in the Ruins of Ramat, as we waited for the rest of the team to come over, we decided to try out a board game in the interim. After a few minutes it was decided we try out Munchkin Quest. I've got the Expansion, along with the Portals, but none of the other had tried it or heard of it. So we set to it, as we were well into it, by the time the final party member showed everyone decided to keep playing MQ. We used nearly all the rooms and it was a race to the entrance/exit as everyone was 10th Level. A Great game ending way late in the evening. A lot of fun, but I'll recommend that we just try Munchkin as it has much shorter set-up/tear down and makes it easier to stop playing.

Author:  kreider204 [ Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

I'm starting to get back into Go a bit, mostly playing against the computer, but also against some people via ItsYourTurn.com .

Author:  TheMetal1 [ Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Had one player who couldn't make the C&C game and one of the players wanted to host the game at his house, everyone was running late again, so he and his kids set up Munchkin Quest. They like the games so much they went out and bought it a day or so after the first time we played it, and have run the game a few more time.

All in all it was another fun game, with my character perishing to a hairy undead squirrel after getting a chicken on my head curse. They now have regular munchkin so we'll see in a couple of weeks what's up next.

As a side note, have any of you run Steve Jackson's Hacker game? I have it ready to go, but haven't tried it out yet. Just wondering about game play and the like.

Author:  Treebore [ Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

No, we love Munchkin Quest ourselves, but I hadn't even heard of Hacker.

Author:  TheMetal1 [ Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Here is the link: http://www.sjgames.com/hacker/

And the blurb...

Quote:
Origins Award for Best Modern-Day Boardgame of 1993
Origins Award for Best Modern-Day Boardgame of 1992

Hacker: Deluxe Edition

Designed by Steve Jackson • Cover art by Jeffery K. Starling

Suggested Retail Price $34.95 • Stock number 1313
ISBN 1-55634-564-X
Out Of Print – Click here for dealer info

Can you break into the world's toughest computer systems? In Hacker, players sail through the Net, competing to invade the most systems. The more systems you crack, the more you learn, and the easier your next target is. You can find back doors and secret phone lines, and even crash the systems your rivals are using. But be careful. There's a Secret Service Raid waiting for you!

Designed by Steve Jackson, Hacker requires guile and diplomacy. To win, you must trade favors with your fellow hackers – and get more than you give away. But jealous rivals will try to bust you. Three busts and you're out of the game! The Deluxe Edition combines the original Hacker and Hacker II – The Dark Side in one edition with all-new components.

Hacker won the 1992 Origins Award for Best Modern-Day Boardgame . . . and Hacker II – The Dark Side won the same award the next year! Now both great games are back in one great package
.

Author:  Rigon [ Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

With my annual Thanksgiving trip to the mountains coming up, it's time to blow the dust off of my Heroscape stuff and get ready for a long weekend of "capture the flag." :twisted:

R-

Author:  Omote [ Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Apparently I am very one-sided. Going to go back to playing some Warhammer Quest next week. Except this time, we are going to explore all manner of outdoor adventures. I tend to run WHQ like a light roleplaying game. While we have done some outdoor adventures in the past, we have never strung a series of games based on it. I picked up some D&D/Pathfinder outdoor tiles and the game will continue in the wild elements of the trees and glens of the Great Forest between Talabecland and The Ostermark.

We'll also try some Survive! Escape from Atlantis. There has also been word of a possible game of Shogun/Samurai Swords/Ilkusa, or possible some Axis & Allies.

~O

Author:  TheMetal1 [ Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:09 am ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Omote wrote:
We'll also try some Survive! Escape from Atlantis. There has also been word of a possible game of Shogun/Samurai Swords/Ilkusa, or possible some Axis & Allies.


Survive! is one game I need to pick up. I've seen it in the B&N and remember playing it with my friends when I was a kid. Then I saw in a Game store expansion for it that looked very cool - just did some googlefu and the expansions are: 5-6 player; Dolphins & Dive; and Giant Squid.

I'm a proud owner of the big box Samurai Swords, but only played it a couple of times. Assumption Ikusa is the same thing?

Author:  Omote [ Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

TheMetal1 wrote:
I'm a proud owner of the big box Samurai Swords, but only played it a couple of times. Assumption Ikusa is the same thing?


Shogun and Ilkusa are the same exact game as Samurai Swords. The name Shogun was ditched because of IP rights, and Ilkusa is the latest version of the game (everything is the same, but the pieces are different colors than the originals).

Survive: Escape from Atlantis (and all of the other names that game went by over the past 30 years) is great fun for such a simple game. I have yet to actually play with the expansions yet.

~O

Author:  CKDad [ Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

Punched, assembled and sorted the counters from one of my two sets of OGRE, Designer's Edition last night. Took my son & I 2.5 hours. We'll get a game in at some point in the next couple of days, and will be taking it over my FLGS charity Game-a-thon on Friday.

Author:  Dracyian [ Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

My father recently picked up last night on earth zombie apocalypse game, havent had a chance to read through it or even start dealing with the pieces that need to punched out, but looks cool

Author:  Treebore [ Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

CKDad wrote:
Punched, assembled and sorted the counters from one of my two sets of OGRE, Designer's Edition last night. Took my son & I 2.5 hours. We'll get a game in at some point in the next couple of days, and will be taking it over my FLGS charity Game-a-thon on Friday.



How is the storage holding up? Do you think it will be a good idea to reinforce it with the foam spray that they demonstrated?

Author:  CKDad [ Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: What boardgame(s) are you playing?

I think that if it's left in the box, it will be fine. We did pull that tray out to look at it and one of the corners had split, so you might want to check that and apply a bit of duct tape. Not certain any further reinforcement will be needed.

Page 7 of 14 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/