Picture of gaming group

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Picture of gaming group

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Castles and Crusades makes running a group this size easy. You need a rules light game and you need fast action. C&C fits that.

In the picture we are 3 off our maximum size so far. Most of the players are regular's to the gaming session when school is on. We game most every friday night and have since ~ near end 2003. About 4 players have gamed since the group started. Having met around the gaming group or at gaming, their has been one marriage so far with another couple engaged.

-George Washington

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Picture of gaming group

Post by gideon_thorne »

*chuckles @ the milk duds on the table* Now that's what a proper game table ought to look like.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

angelius

Post by angelius »

Hey now where was this picture when I was looking for photo submissions for our contest? :p

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Nice pic, Peel!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Very cool.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Very nice!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Excellent pic!

Secret Skeleton
Ulthal

Post by Secret Skeleton »

That's us!

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Secret Skeleton wrote:
That's us!

Who are you trying to kid? Thats Steve Chenault and his brothers.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

Great pic - and that's a huge group, especially if three aren't there!

BTW, is that someone's dining room table, or some sort of purpose-built game table?

Secret Skeleton
Ulthal

Breakdaddy wrote:
Who are you trying to kid? Thats Steve Chenault and his brothers.

We're probably cousins. I am from the Ozarks of southern Missouri.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Secret Skeleton wrote:
We're probably cousins. I am from the Ozarks of southern Missouri.

HAHAHAHA that explains it then!
-Genghis Khan

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Very cool!

I don't know if I have ever gamed (other than at a con) somewhere other than in a basement.

John Adams

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

CKDad wrote:
Great pic - and that's a huge group, especially if three aren't there!

BTW, is that someone's dining room table, or some sort of purpose-built game table?

Purpose converted/built gaming table from a ping pong table that was no longer used. Luckily I have a large room for gaming and can leave it as my 'gaming cave'.

-George Washington

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

that is a huge group!

More the merrier!

Huzzah!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Secret Skeleton
Ulthal

I built my own table from lumber I bought at Home Despot. It has a marker-board top. It was two 3.5' x 7' self-standing halves, but I broke one table trying to move it upstairs and now I only have one half and the kids have a marker board they can stand on.

The walls have thanked me.

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Thats awesome!

It's also a great idea! Let's all do the same and share pics.

I don't think I EVER gamed in a basement.
One Question: Do you guys use minis or abstract your battles?

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

Joe wrote:
Thats awesome!

It's also a great idea! Let's all do the same and share pics.

I don't think I EVER gamed in a basement.
One Question: Do you guys use minis or abstract your battles?

I have used Minis and I have abstracted. Mostly I do a hybrid where I draw letters and numbers for creatures and character. Not for movement, but for spacial awareness. It is really fast. I printed out a 'battle board' 28" wide and 40" long in 1/2" squares and had it laminated. Really useful. Dungeon mapping, battles, etc.

Back when 4e came out and I was REALLY into it, I bought a projector and we where using that for the gaming table. I had dreams of table mounting it, but it lost to my lack of ambition for the project and my having gorged myself on all the detailed miniatures play I want to see for a LONG time. Projectors with C&C just are not appealing to me. And really, miniatures can not come close to a good first person shooter .

One thing with a large group I have found is need to keep it moving so everyone stays interested and focused on the task at hand. Bringing any kind of technology or complicated rules into that environment does not work well. You loose them quickly. You are either fidgeting with getting the right map up, waiting for a player to decide where to move, what to do with his actions, etc. Really long decision to action cycles. With C&C, they quickly describe their action and we execute it. We do not worry about squares or crap. It keeps it flowing fast. One character is done with action in combat in ~5 to 15 seconds, including to hit, and if hit damage. All players well know that if they are not ready when it comes to them, they are skipped and go last of all players. It keeps the players focused because their time to decision cycle is quick. If that cycle is slow, they have other things to think about, books, playing grab ass, etc.

That is nice about the siege engine too, you can involve everyone in task resolution ala Mongoose Traveller. I noticed one thing about that game, their task resolution system encourages players to help each other out and think about a way they can help with a task with non-involved skills. Same with the siege engine. I can post how I do that if you are interested.

-George Washington

Secret Skeleton
Ulthal

I use miniatures in C&C for every combat. We take full use of the facing rules and whatnot. Combat is actually very fast, too. We had a huge combat once where there were about 22 pirates attacking four pc's and about six henchmen. The whole fight took less than an hour to run. I remember running a fight in 3.5 where we had six pc's and eight enemies that took three hours.

Just two weeks ago we were running The Rising Knight and the party broke through the stone wall on the second floor. The dust settled and they were looking down on 17 goblins and a gnoll. That was great. That fight took them all of a half hour with the enemy moving into the hallways to outflank them. It was good stuff.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Just thought you guys would like to see my game group.
[/img]

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Sir Ironside wrote:
Just thought you guys would like to see my game group.
[/img]

No gamers in your neck of the woods?
-Genghis Khan

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Breakdaddy wrote:
No gamers in your neck of the woods?

Well yes... but I haven't actually played a rpg in a little over ten years. Mostly because I subscribe to the, No gaming is better than bad gaming newsletter. I did have a dalliance with two separate groups, both that started off well then took a nosedive overtime with it ending with me leaving. I'm not particularly picky, but I don't know when the disconnect between me and the people I see playing our hobby happened. Other shit makes it a long story, like why I don't ask anyone at the local game store, but considering what there is to offer, I prefer my gaming group as it stands. (Makes me seriously consider doing a solo thing. Either create or play Lone Wolf or something similar.)