This is odd... but in a good way.

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

This is odd... but in a good way.

Post by Sir Ironside »

For me anyway.

Awhile back I said, in this forum, that I was letting my FIGHT! magazine lapse and instead re-upped again with The Crusader.

So, what's odd about that, you ask. Well my subscription to FIGHT! magazine ended in October. Again, you say, yeah so? Well I have gotten each months FIGHT! magazine since then. Now, I know that magazine companies will keep sending you a couple of mags after your subscription is over, and they send a notice telling you that your subscription is almost ended and do you want to re-subscribe. I have received no notice.

I think that it'd be really cool if I got lost in the shuffle and they re-upped my subscription another year.

Secret Skeleton
Ulthal

Post by Secret Skeleton »

In 1996 I got a subscription to Entertainment Weekly that I never purchased. It was addressed to me and it kept coming till 2000. I never have figured out why.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I have been getting Readers Digest for a few years now with no idea why. They have even sent me renewal notices, which I never paid, and the magazine keeps on coming.

Yes, I did not order it in the first place either.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Wulfgarn
Lore Drake

Post by Wulfgarn »

Entertainment weekly did that to us- sent renew notices for a year ... I never ordered it

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I work in the magazine industry. There are many things that could have happened. The magazine company could have gotten a hold of your infomration from another magazine you subscribed to in which case they might have selected you to get magaiznes in the hope that you subscribe. Also, magazines, for the most part do mot make money on you paying for a subscription. The more subscribers, the more the magazines can charge for advertising rates. Many people just get magazines for free, particularly ones like Entertainment Weekly that have such a circulation rate to increase subscription numbers.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

K2h2m3
Red Cap

Post by K2h2m3 »

Thanks for the info Omote. My wife opened a subscription to a couple of mags a year or two ago. We now get bombarded with about a dozen we didn't order.

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

I thought Omote was independently wealthy, I never realized he actually had a job.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Breakdaddy wrote:
I thought Omote was independently wealthy, I never realized he actually had a job.

Haha. You are one crazy sum'bitch.

But seriously, the magazine industry is hurting right now, particularly so from the economic downturn. The industry is doing whatever it can to keep subscribers. Consequently, there are lots of good deals out there right now.

Also, this is one thing many people do not consider. Many of the more well-known magazines out there are owned by the same companies. Therefor when you subscribe to one, the companies will try to get you to subscribe to their other publications by... sending you free copies!

Also be very careful. One strategy the publishers of these m agazine companies do is send out to you paperwork that looks like a bill. It even says the due date, and things like you might be susceptible to late chanrges if not paid by some such date. But read these mailings carefully, they are not bills but order forms! You might be thinking you are paying a bill when in actuality you just placed an order!

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<