R2 - The Golden Familiar (and the CK Screens)

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
Omote
Battle Stag

R2 - The Golden Familiar (and the CK Screens)

Post by Omote »

Does anybody have the original The Gold Familiar module from the original CK Screens? I just got a new CK Screen in and the same module is again included. However this one looks expanded a bit. There is also a nice big ole' map of a castle layout on page 16. Is any of this new?

While the module looks expanded, it uses the older Troll Lord Games logo. The advertisements on the back of this module is also older, which leads me to believe that there have been no changes. *shrugs*

If anybody knows, please LMK.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I don't have it in front of me right now (I'm at work) but I seem to recall that map. I'll have to double check tonight. How is the new screen aside from that? There was mention of changing the way it folds and opens compared to the old one. Was this done?

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Thank Moriarty. I lost the original module some time ago.

Um, the new screen is pretty much the same as the old one. The folds do work differently than the last one, more traditional like you might expect (all the folds fold inward).

The Golden Familiar module is nicer than I remember. It's on nice glossy paper, folded and stapled. Color cover.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I have the original one, but don't have the new one to compare against. Apparently, packages take more than 4 weeks to get here now.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Omote wrote:
Thank Moriarty. I lost the original module some time ago.

Um, the new screen is pretty much the same as the old one. The folds do work differently than the last one, more traditional like you might expect (all the folds fold inward).

The Golden Familiar module is nicer than I remember. It's on nice glossy paper, folded and stapled. Color cover.

~O

Well, I just looked through my copy of the Golden Familiar and it looks like it underwent a few changes. While I remembered seeing a map, in the original version it is on a single page at the end of the module.

I'm somewhat disenchanted at the prospect of a new screen considering it sounds like the same quality and has the same scenario included.

I mean, ya... there are differences (things like grapple and overbearing come to mind besides the obvious ones). However, I'm torn whether or not to go ahead.

Sure... it's not needed. I guess I was hoping for a bit more incentive to want to drop some cash on a new screen (my old one has held up very well so I don't need to replace it either).

I'll probably end up going for it at some point though I'm likely to wait and try and get it as part of a larger order.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Alto Banor
Ungern

Post by Alto Banor »

As I don't know where to post this, there is a sentence missing from the bottom of the first column of page 3. The top of the second column starts in the middle of the sentence. It should probably read like, "Lord " and then continue with the sentence at the top of the second column. Does the original have the same omission?

Alto

There's a fine line between being on the leading edge and being in the lunatic fringe

-- Frank Armstrong
There's a fine line between being on the leading edge and being in the lunatic fringe
-- Frank Armstrong

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Alto Banor wrote:
As I don't know where to post this, there is a sentence missing from the bottom of the first column of page 3. The top of the second column starts in the middle of the sentence. It should probably read like, "Lord " and then continue with the sentence at the top of the second column. Does the original have the same omission?

Alto

I don't know, but something I would like to know even more is if your ever going to finish your Castle Keeper program?

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Aneoth of Ironwood
Hlobane Orc

Post by Aneoth of Ironwood »

My copy of The Castle Keeper Screens Module "The Golden Familiar" is made with 11" x 17" paper, and is double sided and stapled in the center and folded over (Creating the 8-1/2" x 11" booklet) with 15 numbered pages, plus two blank pages (Obverse sides of the covers) plus the front and back covers and the Copyright page.

The First Numbered page is 3 at the start of the actual adventure (Background story), meaning the Copyright page and the back side of the front cover (Blank Page) are unnumbered but are still pages 1 and 2....

The module uses bright white paper (Not gloss) and the front cover is in full color, the remainder of the booklet is black and white.

There is a full page (8-1/2" x 11") Greyscale Sketch of the Castle Layout showing each of the gates (with numbers), the entire path marked out and ALL of the Modules encounters are marked with a number matching the Text inside the booklet.

The location of the Cup of Blue is also marked with an "X" and that "X" is indicated inside the book as well at the 14th Gate (Note at bottom of page 14)...

The map is located on the last numbered page... Page 17.

The front cover of the module is in color.

I have read through this module several times and have seen several errors and misprints.

One error is on page 4 where the word "He" is at the top right corner above the B&W artwork drawing of the castle side view....

The Text continues below the sketch at the top of the right column with... "... tumbed down the cliffs, broken in body but not in spirit."

I seldom worry about small errors such as that one.

There are others too, but not worth going into.

Bottom line is that despite the errors I really like this adventure, but I do not have the new version and after reading this thread, I do not see any reason to purchase it.

The copy I have is still in fine condition and the screen is in near mint condition.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The Golden Familiar is a solid little adventure. I like it a great deal. For some reason feels like a larger part of a campaign or something. It certainly feels like more than a one-shot.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Aneoth of Ironwood
Hlobane Orc

Post by Aneoth of Ironwood »

Yes, I totally agree that it could be slipped into different scenarios for Campaigns.

As a side adventure to help low level PCs gain some experience, as part of a larger plot line, or perhaps a method of gaining some local Lords trust for a bigger mission.

"Go re-take that castle for me and your group will get this other job...." (That Lords idea of a job interview)

But as you know it also works very well as a one-shot... say for an evenings fun as a last minute pick up adventure when you have nothing else prepaired...

Also a good one for Tournaments where you only have a short time frame to get an adventure completed.
I can see an experienced group of players easily being able to knock this one out in four to six hours especially in C&C rules light mode...

Actually, I feel like a mixture of experienced players combined with newbies could knock it out in that time frame too.

Alto Banor
Ungern

Post by Alto Banor »

Treebore wrote:
I don't know, but something I would like to know even more is if your ever going to finish your Castle Keeper program?
ahh... ummm... yeah, what happened there. One of my colleagues of C&C berated and embarrassed me last night and is now forcing me to start work on it again.

Alto

-- Frank Armstrong
-- Frank Armstrong

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Alto Banor wrote:
ahh... ummm... yeah, what happened there. One of my colleagues of C&C berated and embarrassed me last night and is now forcing me to start work on it again.

Alto

Good! Now with the 4th printing yours will be very different than the one your basing it on, and if you have the time and motivation you can add Arms and Armor materials as well.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Alto Banor
Ungern

Post by Alto Banor »

Yes, even though I have not posted a new version, I have inputed through the Barbarian class. Now that it has changed, I will go back through the all the information to make sure it gets updated and add Arms and Armor as well.

Alto

-- Frank Armstrong
-- Frank Armstrong

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Alto Banor wrote:
Yes, even though I have not posted a new version, I have inputed through the Barbarian class. Now that it has changed, I will go back through the all the information to make sure it gets updated and add Arms and Armor as well.

Alto

Awesome it seems a great tool for a CK!!

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

dachda wrote:
Awesome it seems a great tool for a CK!!

It is, I love it! I like his better because he didn't add house rules, plus I like his layout better.

Its real handy, you have it up and running and when a question comes up, tap the relevant tab, and the relevant rules set or info opens up. Nice and quick.

Wish I remembered enough about programming to do this kind of stuff.

Maybe I should go back to college and take some programming classes.