Places to get books spiral bound?

All topics including role playing games, board games, etc., etc.
DaveyB
Red Cap

Places to get books spiral bound?

Post by DaveyB »

Does FedEx/Kinkos do binding on books? I'm thinking it would be neat to have my copy of Monsters & Treasure of Airdhe sprial bound so it can lay flat on the table when I CK an upcoming game. Are there any places to do this affordably? Thanks in advance!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

You can buy your own spiral binding machine for around $100, with more expensive (and cheaper) models available -- depends a lot on what features you want. The supplies are another matter, but also relatively inexpensive. If you want to make a lot of these (like 4-5), this is by far the cheaper method.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Staples does some good work for reasonable prices.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Go0gleplex wrote:
Staples does some good work for reasonable prices.

My question is, would they take a book, like a published printed book, and spiral it? Sometimes those placves are afraid to touch copyrighted stuff.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lord Dynel wrote:
My question is, would they take a book, like a published printed book, and spiral it? Sometimes those placves are afraid to touch copyrighted stuff.

If they have a problem with rebinding a book you own, call the manager. I prefer Staples too.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Treebore wrote:
If they have a problem with rebinding a book you own, call the manager. I prefer Staples too.

Nice. I'l keep that in mind, most definitely.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Egg of Coot
Hlobane Orc

Post by Egg of Coot »

I've had a ton of stuff spiral bound at Staples - including a 400 page miniature painting guide from CMON - and have never had copyright come up. I think that's only an issue with regard to copying - ie: 'Could you color copy my M&T, then spiral bind it.'

The Egg

PrimEvil Studios on Facebook. Be a fan.

PrimEvil Studios is on Facebook. Click here to become a fan.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Egg of Coot wrote:
I've had a ton of stuff spiral bound at Staples - including a 400 page miniature painting guide from CMON - and have never had copyright come up. I think that's only an issue with regard to copying - ie: 'Could you color copy mt M&T, then spiral bind it.'

The Egg

Yep, copying is when it becomes an issue. Copyright gives "exclusive" rights to the holder, which includes making copies of their works.

However, the grey area is what is allowed within ones home, versus "public", etc... and the Congress hasn't stepped up to offer definitive guidelines as to what a private owner of a copyrighted work can do, but they give plenty of coverage to what you cannot do.

Generally, if your doing it for yourself, and will not be giving anything to someone else that is not the original you bought, and destroying all copies you made of the item your giving away or selling, your legal. If your selling the original and keeping copies for yourself, your illegal, if your selling or even just giving away copies of an original you own, your illegal.

Making an additional copy of the M&T of Airhde that is spiral bound, is in the grey area. Only making copies, which must be for back up/archival purposes, is clearly allowed by law for COMPUTER software, NOTHING else. So presumably, even making an additional spiral bound copy of a book you own, in its entirety, or bulk of its entirety, is probably illegal.

So if you want, as the example, a copy of the M&T of Aihrde as a softbound, and another as a spiral bound, you would have to buy two copies and alter the binding of the second copy to a spiral binding to definitely be legal.

If you do not do it this way, and have it copied and then bound, the Trolls could find out about it, hunt you down, and sue you for $30,000. If they can prove you read this post, they can go after you for $150,000.00. In all likelihood. I have yet to see any lawsuits involving an individual making and using copies for just their own personal use. All lawsuits have involved copy and distribution of materials on a scale greater than individual use.

I am not saying such lawsuit does not exist, I am just saying I haven't come across any such cases.

I do think I came across guidelines as to what the personal individual can and cannot do with books they own in terms of copying, numbers of copies, etc... but I don't feel like reading through the 100 or so pages of US copyright laws again to find it. If any of you lawyers out there know which section I am referring to, please refresh my memory.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

I understand the reasoning behind all this, but like CDs, I wish I could do this for all my hardbacks - copy then spiral bind them. I'd love to put them away, so they last for years. Were it like CDs, I could copy them and take them along anywhere. If they get lost or scratched I could easily make another copy while the original stays safe. It'd be nice if I could play with copies of my books (I know technically I can, but it'd nag at me if I knew it were illegal).

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lord Dynel wrote:
. It'd be nice if I could play with copies of my books (I know technically I can, but it'd nag at me if I knew it were illegal).

Well, maybe I will reread it for you. I am pretty sure I saw a section in there saying something to the effect of having up to 9 copies, but they all must be for use within your own home, never given to anyone, etc...

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Treebore wrote:
Well, maybe I will reread it for you. I am pretty sure I saw a section in there saying something to the effect of having up to 9 copies, but they all must be for use within your own home, never given to anyone, etc...

I've been told, ad nauseum, that you are only buying one copy and the rest are complimentary for the "just in case" scenario. Those extra copies are given out, by the discretion of the pdf company you deal with. They can pull those downloads whenever they like, because you never bought them.

This is what happened to me with the OD&D pdf's I had purchased. The first download was mine, I lost the pdf's from a computer purge and went back to find out that the other 9 copies were no longer available. I bitched about it and was told pretty much that I was not entitled to those copies. So, keep that in mind when you purchase pdf's.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Sir Ironside wrote:
I've been told, ad nauseum, that you are only buying one copy and the rest are complimentary for the "just in case" scenario. Those extra copies are given out, by the discretion of the pdf company you deal with. They can pull those downloads whenever they like, because you never bought them.

This is what happened to me with the OD&D pdf's I had purchased. The first download was mine, I lost the pdf's from a computer purge and went back to find out that the other 9 copies were no longer available. I bitched about it and was told pretty much that I was not entitled to those copies. So, keep that in mind when you purchase pdf's.

Yeah, I am talking print, not PDF. They have some ambiguities to clean up with regards to PDF's as well.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Treebore wrote:

Heh, don't go back and reread it just for me. As long as you're fairly sure that we're allowed to make copies of our own products, and spiral bind them I'm good.

Let me propose this - do you think Staples would spiral bind copies of a work you made youself? If I copy my 1e PHB here at home, I wonder if Staples would spiral it for me?

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

I get stuff spiral bound at Office Depot, but I print them out at home on my cheap laser B&W printer first. I've never been asked about copyright, when I simply hand them the already printed pages. For these stores the copyright issues come up only if they are the ones making the copies. So buy a cheap laser printer (under $100 these days) and have at it.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

That's good to hear. I might start using more copies. Some of my stuff is getting on in years.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Lord Dynel wrote:
That's good to hear. I might start using more copies. Some of my stuff is getting on in years.

Yeah, they only get in trouble if they do the copying, not the binding.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Also, in this day and age, it doesn't hurt to e-mail a company and ask to make personal copies. I have done it twice, and even got permission to "share" a $5.00 quickstart PDF (thats over 100 pages) with my Thursday gaming group for a third product. These have all been small companies, but maybe even the bigger companies will be "generous" with giving permission for personal use stuff on out of print products.