Harvester – giants & monsters a squirrel would fight

Discuss the SIEGE engine, and SIEGE Engine games other than C&C, such as StarSIEGE, in this forum.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Harvester – giants & monsters a squirrel would fight

Post by Lurker »

Like I mentioned in the other thread a few weeks ago, I started my girls gaming with Harvesters.

My older daughter picked a ranger – which made me happy on soooo many levels – However, right out of the gait she came up with a question I wasn’t sure on. It came from the bonus for rangers to varmints and giants … I know the giant part comes from the standard ranger by the book. However, how to explain the bonus to a 10 year old without saying there was an edit error and something was copied from one book to another incorrectly.

I eventually said any animal/monster that will be over 2 – 3 x as tall as a wolverine (the tallest normal animal/monster she will face )

Was it a good call. Is there a better way to call it ?

Now for other monsters to throw at the little Rouell Girls … I had an idea while out in my yard smoking a good pig but – watching my neighbor’s animals in the pastor – A turkey hen with her chicks and the tom strutting around. I could picture them doing lots of damage to a squirrel or mouse town.

Of course there are there spiders hawks and such. However, what else …

In the other thread, I mentioned introducing Fey into the world early on so there are the ‘evil’ fay to throw at them. However, I don’t want to rely too much on evil fey behind every rock .

Also, in light that hopefully in 3 or so years I hope they still want to play and move on to D&D / C&C, I don’t want to use the classic D&D stock monsters and scenarios – evil cleric making lots of undead etc etc etc.

So, what should I plan for them in 3 or so levels
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Harvester – giants & monsters a squirrel would fight

Post by Go0gleplex »

Snakes, weasels/ferrets, crows/blue jays (vicious lil buggers), Owls, ticks (the mouse sized version of stirges! lol), chipmunks (the nasty lil nut thieves), bobcat, fox/coyote, bullfrog (it choked to death on it, but the stupid thing did try to eat a squirrel apparently.- 1980 in WA)
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, when your the size of a squirrel, or the size of a mouse like we play in Mouseguard, pretty much everything and anything is much more of a threat to you. Crossing small strams is a major undertaking, snakes are dragons, hawks, eagles, owls are always a threat, etc...
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Go0gleplex wrote:Snakes, weasels/ferrets, crows/blue jays (vicious lil buggers), Owls, ticks (the mouse sized version of stirges! lol), chipmunks (the nasty lil nut thieves), bobcat, fox/coyote, bullfrog (it choked to death on it, but the stupid thing did try to eat a squirrel apparently.- 1980 in WA)
I had already thought of some of them ( I guess I should have made my list more complete) However, I didn't think of ticks ... scorpions yes, centipedes yes ... but not ticks ... Yeah they are the perfect version stirges for a mouse squirrel player.

Chipmunks ... I like, They would be good 'mischievous' versions of the squirrels . As fast as them, as good at hiding, almost as good a climber, and not the obvious enemy like a rat or weasel. Plus I can play them as in between good and evil (mischievous) instead of evil varmints like the rats tend to be.

Sadly, I've already established bull frogs as possible friends (well possible unless my older daughter keeps rolling 1s 2s and 3s on her Cha checks when dealing with them ... It was great role playing of me talking in a frog voice showing that everything she did (when rolling soooo poorly) seemed to make them mad, but then her little sister rolled a 19, and helped keep a possible fight from breaking out. Plus one of my mom's favorite old songs when the girls were little tad poles themselves was "Frogie went a cortin" I even have a NPC frog 'swashbuckler' prepped for them to meet and work with in a few levels based off the song ...

However ... if frogs are possible good guys, what eats them ... bass, gar, pike ... hmmm fish ... I need to add them to the list too. Heck I'm a full grown man and some of the alleviator gar we have in the creeks and lakes here scare me ... just think about what it would do to a squirrel's moral
Treebore wrote:Yeah, when your the size of a squirrel, or the size of a mouse like we play in Mouseguard, pretty much everything and anything is much more of a threat to you. Crossing small strams is a major undertaking, snakes are dragons, hawks, eagles, owls are always a threat, etc...
Yeah, I had to catch myself on describing distances size etc and remember that sie is based off a foot ish tall furry hero, not a 6ish foot tall character. A 15 ft wide stream is actually a dangerous river to them ... unless they think through that the are expert tree climbers and can leap from tree to tree and not have to cross the 'creek/river' at water level. Thus far they haven't, but considering 2 of the 3 combats included them being in a tree and raining arrows down on the rats , it is only a matter of time
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, at foot tall that 15 foot wide steam is effectively 6 times bigger, so equivalent to being 90 feet across for us 6 foot humans. Plus the depth, instead of coming up to your knees or waste, is 2, 3, 4 times your height OVER your head. Plus as a squirrel, you don't have near the mass/strength of the human to resist its current. So much more of a challenge all the way around.

So you would absolutely hope you can cross via over head branches, etc... and not get snatched out of the air mid leap by a hungry hawk/owl/etc... as you leap from one branch to another.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Dogs.

At least my puppy chases and murders squirrels. She hates them. Because they cheat and jump up the trees.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

serleran wrote:Dogs.

At least my puppy chases and murders squirrels. She hates them. Because they cheat and jump up the trees.

Yeah, my mom's dog is murder on squirrels, and even taken expanded two possums and last week a coon. Still no luck or rabbits ... they are just too fast on the take off for him ...

However, I can't remember if 'dog' is a viable race in the redwall / mouse guard type setting . I was never a huge fan and only read a few of them and it has been years ago. I want to keep it fairly close to the setting so when the girls start reading them they will be more easily drawn in like I was to Tolkien.

That said, even if 'cats' aren't in the setting, I'm going to use bob cats in the deep woods and in the mountains .

C&C Society

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Birds. Squirrels like bird feeders.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Thought of another one -- swimming pools. I mean, I just had to fish two chipmunks out because they got themselves drowned.

Penny-Whistle
Ulthal

Post by Penny-Whistle »

Mechanical construct or golem aka 'car' or 'truck' The fun part would be describing it from a squirrel's point of view and watching as your players eventually twig in.

Even more scary: A seemingly endless dry-bed stream. Hot and sticky to the touch. Evil smelling. The geometry of the thing seems completely wrong. Impossibly fast, impossibly loud mechanical constructs are stampeding. (busy highway)

Gringnr
Ulthal

Post by Gringnr »

Might be worth having a look at some old Bunnies & Burrows stuff for inspiration...
It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Saw this on one of my manga sites and thought you might find it amusing Lurker. lol Puglins!
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

Howdy, y'all!

Sorry, really late to this party. My bad.

Giants in my game are bears, some of the larger ungulates (i.e., deer, elk, moose, etc.). There should be a Creatures & Critters book available with the newest rendition of Harvesters when it comes out (I have no idea when that will be) that will have a bunch of new animals, monsters, etc.

To make things easier on myself, I always pictured the different animals with the humanoid equivalent (roughly): mice - halflings, rabbits/squirrels - elf, otters - human, etc. But as in all things with gaming, do what you feel is right. As long as everyone agrees, no problems. :)

Most animals are pretty good swimmers. The only time I've seen mice, chipmunks, etc. drown is when they get trapped in something that they can't climb out of because the edges were to high (i.e. pails of water, swimming pools, etc.).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll do the best I can.