Got the new crusader yesterday...

The Journal of Intrepid Adventurers.
finarvyn
Global Moderator

Got the new crusader yesterday...

Post by finarvyn »

...and I must say that I was really impressed by Steve's editorial on 4E and what it means to the industry as a whole.

I know that TLG doesn't even publish 4E products (heck, hardly even touched on 3E stuff...) and it would have been so easy to take a cheap shot at WotC about how quickly they are cranking out new editions or other similar topics that people complain about a lot on message boards. Instead, the editorial was thoughtful and gave a general perspective that really got me to think about 4E from the point of view of the industry instead of just as one consumer.

Anyway, it was a great read and made me think.

Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society

C&C Playtester in 2003
OD&D player since 1975
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I got mine today. Yep, a good read. I also liked the Troll/Trees story and the card stock guide. I liked everything to some extent, just those the best. I haven't Read CC's campaign article yet, so that may still take top honors.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I find myself agreeing with Steve on gaming. He seems to have an objective outlook and good knowledge of where he needs to be in the whole. It seems to me that he doesn't really see himself competing with WOTC. More like just doing what he enjoys and perfecting his craft and system.

If that is the case then TLG is going to do some great things.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Julian Grimm wrote:
I find myself agreeing with Steve on gaming. He seems to have an objective outlook and good knowledge of where he needs to be in the whole. It seems to me that he doesn't really see himself competing with WOTC. More like just doing what he enjoys and perfecting his craft and system.

If that is the case then TLG is going to do some great things.

The first dozen or so issues of Dragon make me think TSR started with much the same attitude. So I am hoping TLG duplicates much of the success and none of the mistakes.

BTW, CC's On the Anvil is a very solid article with useful bits to steal. Oh, and I had missed the little adventure scenario too.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

It was a very good issue. The only thing I wish was different was that the mini's were included separate so you wouldn't have to pull them out. Maybe they can be a download on the site?

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Julian Grimm wrote:
It was a very good issue. The only thing I wish was different was that the mini's were included separate so you wouldn't have to pull them out. Maybe they can be a download on the site?

The article is by Tom T. Owner of Fat Dragon Games. I have bought and printed out a BUNCH of his stuff (100+ sheets). Good stuff.

Anyways, Tom may make the article versions available for free if we ask real nice. The full fledge stuff is in full color.

Fat Dragon Games
Dragon Troll

Post by Fat Dragon Games »

Treebore wrote:
The article is by Tom T. Owner of Fat Dragon Games. I have bought and printed out a BUNCH of his stuff (100+ sheets). Good stuff.

Anyways, Tom may make the article versions available for free if we ask real nice. The full fledge stuff is in full color.

The Troll's have full color files of all of the art and are welcome to post it with a download link anywhere on the main site or here if they'd like for everyone to use. Who's cage do we need to rattle to do that?

Fat Dragon Games
www.fatdragongames.com

Castles & Crusades...more D&D than D&D.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Fat Dragon Games wrote:
The Troll's have full color files of all of the art and are welcome to post it with a download link anywhere on the main site or here if they'd like for everyone to use. Who's cage do we need to rattle to do that?

Most likely Steve, who will have aztecman do the actual links.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Damn postal system! I still haven't received my copy yet.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Ok, so I was at LGGC and every time I passed by Steve at the front desk I eyed #9, but resisted buying it as I had the utmost confidence (and Mark Sandy's calm and measured assurance) that it had shipped...

... and lo and behold we pulled into home and it was waiting for me in my mailbox!

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

seskis281 wrote:
... and lo and behold we pulled into home and it was waiting for me in my mailbox!

Hehe, me too. It was a little bent, but I look forward to reading it tomorrow!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Yes, overall a very solid issue. Lots of information packed into the 36 or so pages. Steve's discussion on 4E and the industry is spot on. The Dweomercrafter's Den was exciting to read,as well as the Musings from the Den. These articles in particular really get me excited about the future of C&C and TLG. The alignment/adventure article was really interesting. I would love to see this idea expanded.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Yamo

Post by Yamo »

I must say, I was expecting the CZ article to be much more substantial and less of a summary of the project history.

Ghul

Post by Ghul »

Yamo wrote:
I must say, I was expecting the CZ article to be much more substantial and less of a summary of the project history.

Hello Yamo,

Die-hard fans that frequent this site and who have read through Gary's Q&A sessions on the net over the years were not likely to "learn" a lot from the first installment of the Dweomercraefter's Den. But for fans who don't know what all the fuss is about, it serves to introduce them to the adventure and the history of its development, which concurrently is a history of the entire hobby of FRPG fans. I'm curious, what is "much more substantial" in your opinion, Yamo?

--Jeff T.

Yamo

Post by Yamo »

Ghul wrote:
Hello Yamo,

Die-hard fans that frequent this site and who have read through Gary's Q&A sessions on the net over the years were not likely to "learn" a lot from the first installment of the Dweomercraefter's Den. But for fans who don't know what all the fuss is about, it serves to introduce them to the adventure and the history of its development, which concurrently is a history of the entire hobby of FRPG fans. I'm curious, what is "much more substantial" in your opinion, Yamo?

--Jeff T.

I guess nitty-gritty details on what's to be found in the dungeons. How it's laid-out, etc. Then again, I'm planning to GM.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yamo wrote:
I guess nitty-gritty details on what's to be found in the dungeons. How it's laid-out, etc. Then again, I'm planning to GM.

Patience young Jedi Master, the lessons have only begun.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I got my issue and enjoyed Gary's recollection of his house and the ghostly encounter. Reminded me of my gramma's old house that we liked hanging out at. Except when there was thunderstorms. It was 3 story wood frame house that would creak, wind would blow through it and doors would open and close, tree would bang on the roof, etc. Very spooky for young kids!

Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I finally got my issues! Issue 8 was resent to me with Issue 9 along with stuff I got from the $10 sale. Both issues look pretty sweet though it's kinda weird reading about last year's GenCon (from issue 8) knowing that this year's is just around the corner! A great read none-the-less and just reinforces my desire to get out to this event at least once sometime in the next couple of years.

I love the direction that Crusader is taking and hopefully issue 10 (once it's out) will get to me with little hassle.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Indigo Rose
Red Cap

Post by Indigo Rose »

We are working very hard to get Crusader issues out in a more timely manner, so that hopefully you won't find yourself reading about events that happened the year before in the magazine anymore! Jim has really been whipping the mag into shape with finesse, and I am confident we'll be hitting our monthly objective very soon. Yay Jim!

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Yes indeed, kudos --

Since #10 is on to the printers as of this week, it does look like things are really taking off.

My hats off to you and Jim especially for really making this happen!

And, as a plug, as things really start to take off again I want to put a plea here (which Serl and I will probably echo across these boards in the coming days) to rejoin and reinvest in the C&C Society - yes, it got left a bit moribund for several years, but we really need to push it again. Serl's put in a lot of effort, as have those who've contributed so far (including cuchulainkevin, Julian Grimm, Lurker and others).

And the society should be a place to discuss and expand on Fantasy and gaming in a more colaborative forum. Check out the new boards at:
http://domesday.proboards80.com/index.cgi

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Indigo Rose wrote:
We are working very hard to get Crusader issues out in a more timely manner, so that hopefully you won't find yourself reading about events that happened the year before in the magazine anymore! Jim has really been whipping the mag into shape with finesse, and I am confident we'll be hitting our monthly objective very soon. Yay Jim!

Hehehe... part of the problem was shipping issues with number 8 too. Which reminds me, I still have to send Steve a quick email to let him know that my package got to me in one piece.

However, I'm happy to see the Crusader is stepping up and going monthly.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

I normally avoid comments here (I'll throw my share of peanuts in other places though) but HAD to comment on this issue.

The Angry gamer was SPOT ON!!!! I actually woke my wife up laughing and agreeing with it. Great job!

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society