Mogrl

Post by serleran »

No, that is Nym. Real name Cindy. Assuming you mean "Voices of the Three."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:
No, that is Nym. Real name Cindy. Assuming you mean "Voices of the Three."

Yep, that is the one I was thinking of. I have seen Christina's name before, though. Necromancer?

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

Treebore wrote:
I have seen Christina's name before, though. Necromancer?

Nope, never got to work for Necromancer. I've worked for Goodman Games, Atlas Games, Bastion Press, Eden Studios, and White Wolf, to name a few. I did the Stormbringer adventures and some Dragonmech stuff for Goodman Games. For Green Ronin, I did SpirosBlaak (my publishing baby, written by Steven Trustrum), Corwyl, Dezzavold, editing on Black Sails Over Freeport and some other stuff. My most recent work was for White Wolf's Exalted and Scion lines.

A list of my publications is at christinastiles DOT com (since I'm a newbie poster, the boards won't let me leave a url).

Christina

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Christina Stiles wrote:
Nope, never got to work for Necromancer. I've worked for Goodman Games, Atlas Games, Bastion Press, Eden Studios, and White Wolf, to name a few. I did the Stormbringer adventures and some Dragonmech stuff for Goodman Games. For Green Ronin, I did SpirosBlaak (my publishing baby, written by Steven Trustrum), Corwyl, Dezzavold, editing on Black Sails Over Freeport and some other stuff. My most recent work was for White Wolf's Exalted and Scion lines.

A list of my publications is at christinastiles DOT com (since I'm a newbie poster, the boards won't let me leave a url).

Christina

OK, I would recognize you from the Goodman and Green Ronin stuff.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

James M. Ward here,

I just wanted to say I have been very impressed with Ms. Stiles' work for CRUSADER. We had her fun tower in #17 and you can expect an excellent extended adventure in 18.

CRUSADER

Managing Editor

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

. . .One question: Miriam Hairfoot's avatar is listed as a 20th level Bard, but in the description is says she has all the abilities of a 20th level Druid. Is the bard entry a typo?

R- . . .

Dang it! At least you have found an important mistake that we can fix. If you ever see me at a convention in the future you bring this up and I'll take care of you for the service.

Best,

James M. Ward

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Christina Stiles wrote:

Christina

I loved the Stormbringer DCCs you did and thanks for the link. I'll check out the site later tonight.

One more post I believe and you'll be able to post url's like the rest of us!
M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Treebore wrote:
For Green Ronin, I did SpirosBlaak (my publishing baby, written by Steven Trustrum)....

SpirosBlaak is an excellent book. Well done.

Baron of the Pitt
Castles & Crusades Society
The Dungeoneering Dad

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Frost wrote:
SpirosBlaak is an excellent book. Well done.

Wow, thank you very much! Steven Trustrum (Misfit Studios) and I greatly enjoyed the project. We hope to produce some more supplements for it soon through Misfit Studios. The whole 3.5/4e debate put a lot of stuff on hold. Personally, I think it would make a great C&C setting, but I'm biased.

Christina

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

James

I do have a question about the Halflings gods. You had some of the alignments as being evil, but from reading their description I didn't get that "vibe" from them. Did I miss something?

Other than that, you took me from looking forward to the "Gods and monsters" book to I WANT IT NOW!!!! Not just that but everything in the crusader was top notch! Especially the jester from hell -I hate clowns and anything that looks like a clown, now I have one more reason to!- & the orc write up!

Have a good one

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

. . .I do have a question about the Halflings gods. You had some of the alignments as being evil, but from reading their description I didn't get that "vibe" from them. Did I miss something? . . .

You bring up an excellent point. One of the problems is room in the book. When you are dealing with a certain format (the way I wrote the entire book) you never have enough room to bring out all the highlights of the pantheon. Another problem is the public perception of halflings as being goody-goody creatures in general. Halflings have just as good a chance of being nasty as good. Finally, there is the balance problem. I was trying to make a point for the halflings in my alignment, it isn't "hit you over the head" obvious.

James M. Ward

Let's try to get your gaming friends to subscribe to CRUSADER, the magazine can use all the people it can attrace.

Sundog
Red Cap

Post by Sundog »

Heheh; see? Told you it'd happen. Still pining for #16 here in the Benighted Isles. Esdevium Games, the TL distributor for the UK, seems to be failing to, well, distribute.

At this rate my envy of you all will metamorphose into an Id-beast of towering destruction, unless I drown it in ale first.
"History teaches us that men behave wisely after they've exhausted all other alternatives."

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

James M. Ward wrote:
I am so insanely jealous when I hear about others getting the CRUSADER long before I do. I think I have the right to be jealous as the managing editor. Sometimes it's tough to leave in the "never, never land" of rural Wisconsin.

On another note, we slipped up and missed a month with 17. I'm working hard to produce 18 in this month. It's got a lot of what Steve calls the "crunchy bits" and I know people are going to like it.

I'd love to hear what readers think of my Halfling gods?

James M. Ward

Crazed Managing Editor

CRUSADER

How do you not know whats in it?

Know your roll!

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

CharlieRock wrote:
How do you not know whats in it?

I was wondering the same thing myself. Probably similar to actors who don't quite know how a movies looks until they see it altogether. I don't know - just a theory.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

Yes, I know exactly what is in each magazine. Yes, I have wonderful PDF files on the magazine. Yes, I have the proofed articles and pieces of art for the magazine. All of that wonderful information is nothing to holding the finished piece of C&C history in my hand. Each finished product is a unique, one of a kind thing I find wonderful to hold. I know every article, yet I read the magazine from cover to cover.

Your statements of praise of great, but having the finished magazine in my hand to act as a framework for those statements is even better.

Managing Editor

CRUSADER

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

I finished reading this issue yesterday. I think it's my favorite to date. The mini-adventure is cute, but not so much that I wouldn't run. Some times "funny" adventures don't seem meant for real play, but I can see using this one. You could easily tie it in with Moccavallo and have him the source of the tower.

By the way, anyone else catch the Ronald McDonald-Moccavallo connection?

Baron of the Pitt
The Dungeoneering Dad

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Frost wrote:
The mini-adventure is cute, but not so much that I wouldn't run. Some times "funny" adventures don't seem meant for real play, but I can see using this one. You could easily tie it in with Moccavallo and have him the source of the tower.

Frost, this was something I actually ran with my group several years ago before I wrote it up. If you've had a lot of "serious" stuff going on in the campaign, this adventure is a good stress reliever. Once my group realized what they were fighting, much laughter ensued. Still, the gingerbread golems were kicking their butts, so it was no cake-walk!!!

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

That is exactly how I envision using the adventure. It's perfect for lightening things up a bit after some of a campaign's heavier moments.

Baron of the Pitt
The Dungeoneering Dad

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

A gingerbread golem. Hmm. It needed a cookie monster.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Frost wrote:
I finished reading this issue yesterday. I think it's my favorite to date.

Dang... still waiting for my copy.

M

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

moriarty777 wrote:
Dang... still waiting for my copy.

M

Hang in there mort...it shouldn't be long now!
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Frost wrote:
I finished reading this issue yesterday. I think it's my favorite to date. The mini-adventure is cute, but not so much that I wouldn't run. Some times "funny" adventures don't seem meant for real play, but I can see using this one. You could easily tie it in with Moccavallo and have him the source of the tower.

By the way, anyone else catch the Ronald McDonald-Moccavallo connection?

Just wait till I get to King Yum.

Really.

C.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Lord Dynel wrote:
Hang in there mort...it shouldn't be long now!

I'm happy to say it was in my box when I got home yesterday. I've read half of it already. I also realized I had read a small part of it before!

When I read Steve's 'Convention Blog' article, part of me was certain I read it before. I took a look at past magazines and wondered if, maybe a previous article may have been accidentally reprinted but I couldn't find it. After a few minutes of searching the past year's issues (and then doing it again), I remembered about the TLG Blog. I then found my answer:
http://trolldens.blogspot.com/2009/02/c ... aying.html

I remembered because it was a great anecdote but for a few minutes last night I thought I was starting to go mad.

Great work once again!

M

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

I made a thread in a section of these forums just on taunts that were fantasy rpg appropriate (or inappropriate). It kept popping into my head when I read the gingerbread golem adventure.

Know your roll!

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

I'm probably in a big minority here, but I'm one that does not like April fools taking over anything I buy. There is only one issue a month and there are many other days that are not April Fools so why does this one day have to ruin a perfectly good magazine?

Why stop there, lets have a Mothers Day issue, then a Fathers DAy issue, a Hallowe'en issue, X-mas issue, you get the point.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Sir Ironside wrote:
I'm probably in a big minority here, but I'm one that does not like April fools taking over anything I buy. There is only one issue a month and there are many other days that are not April Fools so why does this one day have to ruin a perfectly good magazine?

Why stop there, lets have a Mothers Day issue, then a Fathers DAy issue, a Hallowe'en issue, X-mas issue, you get the point.

Depending on how far they go, I would agree with you. However, as far as gaming magazines go, seeing a Halloween on isn't uncommon. I'm happy to say that this issue doesn't go overboard with nonsense and the integrity of the mag is intact IMO
M

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

By and large, I agree Ironsides. I don't really see anything in #17 that is so jokey it can't be used in real play. The adventure is humorous, to be sure, but #17 can't hold a candle to some of the April Fool issues of Dragon magazine (and I mean that as a plus).

Baron of the Pitt
The Dungeoneering Dad

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

I've noted Ironsides dislike of holidaystyle issues. I have to agree with our Publisher Steve that the magazine makes note of special holidays, but never goes crazy with the magazine input for that holiday. The things we had that gave a nod to April Fools, I thought were great. We have some amazing writers for the magazine and some very good new writers as well, the magazine staff considers itself extremely lucky in that regard. We certainly didn't do what DRAGON did in the old days (which I put a stop to while I was publisher) of makine false articles and ads just for laughs.

I would ask that all of you feel free to tell me what you do and don't like and make a case. I want this magazine to become very popular and I need input. I'm not saying I will argree or instantly make changes in the magazine. My record so far proves I listened. I don't mind serving many masters just as long as I agree with how the magazine ends up and so far Steve has been great at giving me a free hand and accepting my changes.

James M. Ward

Managing Editor

CRUSADER

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Adimistrative Professional's themed Crusader? No, of course not. Halloween themed issue? Why not?

Some holidays, like Halloween - or hell, even the winter holidays - are steeped in myths and legends that sometimes are relevant to rpgs, or at least make for good content that could be integrated into a rpg. Now the April Fools' edition of a magazine, I would reckon, seems to be an homage to the old Dragon issues and I would assume are done for nostaligia purposes more than anything...I could be wrong though. They did seem to be fairly popular back in the day.

I guess my point is, when well thought out and done once or twice a year, a holiday issue isn't that bad. Sure, they're not going to be for everyone...but what issue is going to please 100% of the reader-base? Just my two cents.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

LD speaks the truth, and I completely agree with him.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<