Expanding Crusader?

The Journal of Intrepid Adventurers.
Kurgan
Ungern

Expanding Crusader?

Post by Kurgan »

Hey guys,

I've finally gotten to the point that I've begun to miss RPG magazines as they were "back in the day," so to speak. I'm referring to magazines such as Dragon (way back before TSR bought it) and Different Worlds. General magazines that didn't focus on any one game system, but presented various adventures (usually stapled into the middle so you could pull them out easily), RPG related news, interviews with game designers and industry people, reviews of new games, a few running comic strips, etc.

So recently I began searching to see what was on the market nowadays, and the results truly surprised me. Zilch. Or as close to zilch as you can get. Crusader is great (I'm a subscriber for the long-haul), but of course is presently focused mainly on C&C, with the occasional non-specific editorial. Shadis is gone; Different Worlds is long-gone; Dragon is exclusively 4E and only available electronically to paid subscribers of the D&D Insider website (ick); Pyramid went electronic ages ago and is extremely GURPS-heavy. I could go on...

Intestingly enough, there does seem to be a couple of options, although I still see both as being incomplete. First, Knights of the Dinner Table, as I've recently been made aware, is no longer just the comic many of us grew to love. 25 or 30 pages (of what? 80 or so total?) are still comics, and it's comic-sized, but there remains a lot of general RPG reviews and articles (no pull-out adventures, though).

Secondly, I was told about a magazine called Polymancer. After a little digging I discovered that it appears to be a pretty cool RPG magazine, but they apparently got hacked a little over a year ago and still haven't recovered. No new issues since last year. (Their free newletter, Polyglot, seems to have a lot of material that would be cool to see added to the mag if they ever begin producing again.)

So, bottom line is simply this. Nobody's publishing an actual, full, monthly RPG magazine devoted to the industry as a whole, with the exception of a few print and digital "house" or system-specific mags. Which got me to wondering...

Could Crusader eventually take over this vacancy? On one hand I think the Trolls, and Crusader, have a good rep and could draw interest from writers and contributors with ease. On the other hand, the page count would at the very least triple (currently @ 36 pages) to hold its own as a full industry, content-driven magazine, so costs would go up (including costs for content providers filling-up all that extra space). Nevertheless, if it wasn't an outrageous leap in price, I'd pay it. Honestly, I'm starving for a print RPG mag that I can keep tabs on the hobby and industry with each month, read new game reviews and articles, general news, a monthly free adventure insert for some random RPG, yadda yadda yadda.

So whuddya think???

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

I didn't see you mention Kobold Quarterly. They are doing 3e and 4e stuff. It's not exactly what you are looking for, but I found the magazine to be interesting.

Btw, is this Larry (Kurgan)? If so, a big hello.

Christina

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

Hmmmmmm, Crusader is a for profit magazine. We are looking for hobby store sales and most importantly subscriber sales. Currently the magazine hasn't even come close to mining all of the C&C fans. It's going to stay 90%+ C&C for quite a few expansions. We are certainly capable of delivering other games but that just ticks off our current subscriber base with little plus to the company. When we are in the 60s and 70s for page count expect some of what you talk about.

best,

James M. Ward

Managing Editor

CRUSADER

sieg

Post by sieg »

I do miss a "General RPG" mag myself. As Jim said above, there are extenuating circumstances (at least for now) for Crusader.

This is just speculation on my part, but it seems to me most RPG companies nowadays are horsier about letting non-company media (such as mags) cover their copyrighted product. I had trouble getting permission from a ocuple of unnamed co's when I wanted to write some articles for Crusader about their games (when Crusader was trying for the general title).

Oh, and TSR (AFAIK) always owned Dragon mag; it just became a house organ shortly after Gary left.
Mike

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

Im going to take over this thread. I miss from the dragon days the ecology of "whatever monster of the month" I still get chills reading the one about the cave fisher. Any chance this will be loked at? I just started my subscription last month so If this is something that has happened before, please forgive my ignorance.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I would love to see the Crusader to continue to expand and, once it does sufficiently, I wouldn't mind other things being in the mag either. Boy oh boy though... it will be nice to hold a 60-70 page issue!
To continue what mordrene posted, ecology articles are always interesting *if* done right. Just a general focus/feature on a creature could be cool though Steve's occasional monsters for Aihrde seems to help fit he bill.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I am pretty sure Jim is not in the monster-wanting mode, as Steve does that part of the magazine already, though if he says otherwise, then I am sure someone *cough* could do it. More likely, what is wanted are things like adventure locations (like a nifty article on the moving tombs...)

DangerDwarf
Maukling

Post by DangerDwarf »

I think Angelius' Big Iron Vault is more geared towards the industry and not a system. He posted a link to the PDF in the general forum and is taking pre-orders for the first print run.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I would rather Crusader stay focused on C&C (and other games by the Trolls), thats why I subscribe, I don't play other systems/games so anything that relates to other games is wasted pages (from my POV)

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

Maliki wrote:
I would rather Crusader stay focused on C&C (and other games by the Trolls), thats why I subscribe, I don't play other systems/games so anything that relates to other games is wasted pages (from my POV)

Same goes for me.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

DangerDwarf wrote:
I think Angelius' Big Iron Vault is more geared towards the industry and not a system. He posted a link to the PDF in the general forum and is taking pre-orders for the first print run.

Yep, it has a review article about C&C, but other than that it is much more about RPG's in general. Including a quick and dirty little system in the issue.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

James M. Ward here,

I'm listening. and you are all going to get what you want. We just have to grow a tad. The C&C fans are the main body of subscribers and I'm not going to irritate them. Steve has also made it clear that the crunchy bits are going to be C&C. However, as the magazine expands we can give others good things as well. My game reviews are getting a positive response. Steve does do a monster in every issue and that monster is connected to his story. I believe those stories are also getting more and more interesting. I have some great authors who could easily have worked for TSR and myself in the heyday of the company. . .but I could always use more. Please feel free to drop me a note if you think you have an article or two in you.
[email protected]

managing editor

CRUSADER

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I have to third the sentiment that Crusader stays with the C&C/TLG focus. As far as the industry goes, I'm not happy where the main stream has been going for some time. Why would I want to read about the igits that are ruining the hobby?

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

My vote would be for it to stay C&C/TGL format only, too. I wouldn't mind seeing a magazine which focuses on a lot of different games, but I don't believe CRUSADER is the vehicle for that. So, keep it the same, but definitely look to expand the length!

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

JediOre
Ulthal

Post by JediOre »

Crusader is first and formost a TLG magazine. I also agree it needs to remained focused upon C&C. I've been pleased with the direction over all.
In the words of my good friend Trevor, "Hey, put an arrow in that falling mummy! What could possibly happen?"

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Yep, I concur... keep The Crusader as a TLG-vehicle. I do enjoy Jim's game reviews, but he keeps that at the right length (i.e., one page).

Baron of the Pitt
The Dungeoneering Dad

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The only reason I would be OK with Crusader covering other RPG's is because I heavily use the SIEGE engines universality. I even ran a Mega Traveller converted from their 2d6 system to SIEGE about a year ago for about 6 weeks. It worked pretty well.

So even if Crusader were to expand, my perspective would be to use it as is if it happens to be a system I like to play anyways, or how I could convert the system material over to the SIEGE system.

So when Crusader is able to start expanding in that direction I would do it from the perspective of converting it to the SIEGE system.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Crusader is expanding. It already covers non-C&C games, such as StarSIEGE and likely Harvesters and other SIEGE-engine games, perhaps even allowing advertisements for non-affiliated companies (such as my own -- this, in fact, I know to be true.)

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

James M. Ward wrote:
It's going to stay 90%+ C&C for quite a few expansions. We are certainly capable of delivering other games but that
I'd even prefer 100%.
James M. Ward wrote:
but that just ticks off our current subscriber base with little plus to the company.
This.

If it expanded to include other games, you'd probably lose me and my subscription. I'm not paying good money for articles I have no intention of reading. It just becomes wasted space IMO.
serleran wrote:
Crusader is expanding. It already covers non-C&C games, such as StarSIEGE and likely Harvesters and other SIEGE-engine games,
But this is still TLG games. I'm fine with that. It may even inspire me to buy a game I originally intended not to. I would still read those type of articles.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

angelius

Post by angelius »

DangerDwarf wrote:

Thanks for the plug DD. He's right its more towards the industry and players rather than a system. Although I have to admit that a lot of what goes into it is "old school" stuff.

Look for #2 coming out in a few months. We're on a quarterly schedule.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

angelius wrote:
Thanks for the plug DD. He's right its more towards the industry and players rather than a system. Although I have to admit that a lot of what goes into it is "old school" stuff.

Look for #2 coming out in a few months. We're on a quarterly schedule.

Has the print copies been mailed out yet? I hate reading on my monitor, so I only read one article in its entirety and have only read a paragraph or two of the other articles. So I am waiting on my print copy to finish reading it.

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

I thought it would be a good idea to post these notes again. I'm always looking for talented writers that know C&C.

800 words a page, if you supply art it's a quarter page black and white illo. taking up 200 words. I like to see a paragraph or two about the author. It would help if you read a magazine or two of CRUSADER. You can actually buy down loads of the first 13 online. I'm looking for a 2-4 page article that's grammar checked and spelled correctly so that I don't have to do those tasks.

What I'm looking for is NOT the following:

monsters, short fiction, new ways to do a character class

I am looking for the following:

short adventures with a map

interesting magic items combined with interesting NPCs

geographical locations that present problems for player characters

historical articles that can be turned into game ideas

James M. Ward

Managing Editor

CRUSADER

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

There has been discussed a Dungeon style TLG magazine. Maybe like a quarterly or annual publication with a name like Castle or The Castle or something to that effect.

I remember because I posted in that thread.

And since pencil & paper games are not like video games in that they do not get old nearly as fast. (some still consider C&C a "new" game on the block) you wouldnt need to put out at a greater rate then that.

I wouldnt mind an annual "round-up" article in Crusader reviewing other games out there. If the trolls worry that they would lose business then I would lay as my evidence to the contrary only that C&C is so economical that I have been able to budget it and other games for quite a while now. (mostly of the SJG or WEG variety)

One of my favorite things about C&C so far. I can "keep up" without feeling like I'm bailing out Wall Street.

Also, to add to the SIEGE games' elasticity you could include pointers for how to use the reviewed materials year-to-year in a C&C (or StarSIEGE) game table.

And wasnt there a virtual tabletop for C&C made? We could indulge a few minutes time and a few pages space to what it is.

Know your roll!

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

James M. Ward wrote:
What I'm looking for is NOT the following:

monsters, short fiction, new ways to do a character class

And with that the dream of the Crusader being like the early issues of Dragon dies.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Domesday lives on, but not in print format.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Why do you think I write for Domesday?

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Julian Grimm wrote:
And with that the dream of the Crusader being like the early issues of Dragon dies.

Dude, gotta stop jumping to conclusions. All the above means is that Jim's got enough articles on the above. ^_~`

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

. . .And with that the dream of the Crusader being like the early issues of Dragon dies. Evil or Very Mad. . .

First of all, CRUSADER right now is better than the early DRAGONS. How can I say that, I was the publisher of DRAGON and DUNGEON and I know what that magazine was like.

Second, Peter is right on the money. I have a great monster and a great short story from Steve every month. I don't need dozens of them in the magazine.

I want to please people with this magazine and have a plan to do that. I know most people would agree that the magazine is getting better. You bet I copy some of the things DRAGON did in the early years, because people liked those things. I grab from anything that has a chance of pleasing the subscriber.

James M. Ward

Managing Editor

CRUSADER

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Well said Jim!

I continue to like the direction the magazine is heading in and I hope more and more people subscribe to this little gem.

For myself, I have a few ideas that have been percolating in my mind for some time now but I know I won't have time to work on them for at least another few weeks. Rest assured that I'll be happy to submit a few proposals in the near future when I know I'll be able to properly dedicate a bit of time.

In the meantime, other work and projects demand my attention!

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

I'm enjoying the Crusader more and more. I read it cover to cover within the hour of pulling it from my mailbox and my only complaint is that it is too short, so I finish it too quickly and am left wanting more.

Great work, Mr. Ward.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia