Issue 18!

The Journal of Intrepid Adventurers.
Sundog
Red Cap

Post by Sundog »

Christina Stiles wrote:
I'm running two C&C games at ConCarolinas next weekend. Any chance I could get some recent back issues to hand out to the players to spark interest? I'm estimating about 12 players total. I know I have 10 signed up already.

Christina

You're doing a lot better than I!

I'm hoping to run two games over the weekend of UKGamesExpo in Birmingham this June, but so far I've got no solid bookings. Still, not to worry; I managed to get a table together last year from on-the-day signups, and a fun time was had by all.

EDIT: Added quote so people knew what I was flapping my gums about.
"History teaches us that men behave wisely after they've exhausted all other alternatives."

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

I thought that name sounded familiar. Christina Stiles wrote the DCC my last campaign for D&D3.5 ended in. This was the funnest TPK I had in a long time.

If you've never played Assault on Stormbringer castle you basically have to get all S.W.A.T. team on a storm giant's keep.

My team headed straight for the draw bridge the first time up. The paladin actually tried a strength check on a 90' drawbridge aided by somebodies' barbarian retainer. They actually had a 1 in 20 chance to succeed and were going to stand there kicking/bashing the drawbridge until it opened.

Well, the ogres guarding the gate weren't just there to collect a paycheck and started shooting at the team with their huge ballistae. A squad of gargoyles also came and dive bombed the team from overhead. (killing the barbarian retainer)

So the team mage and fighter come up with a counterplan to that. The mage was going to teleport up to the towertops (bringing along the fighter and team bard). Then they were going to take out that ogre powered ballistae and teleport across to the other gates' towertop.

Upon teleporting up there the fighter takes out the ogre shooting the ballistae in record time. But then the mage runs down inside the tower with the bard at his heels. With no way to teleport the fighter simply loads the ballistae and fires it at the other towers' ogre.They trade shots for a few rounds until the ogre succombs to blood loss.

Meanwhile the mage runs down to ground level and turns himself and the bard invisible (making the fighter mad when he tried to look down the stairs to see where they went.) Together they tried to sneak out the ground floor door. The bard slips through but the mage stumbles and fumbles his sneak check. Two battle axe attacks later (via ogre door guards)and the mage is in critical condition.

The Bard keeps right on sneaking into the other tower and goes up it to the ballistae at the rooftop but decides she cant fire it well enough so she rapples back down to the outside of the keep. The team rogue has slipped on his shoes of spider walking and walks over the drawbridge after he and the team cleric drove off the gargoyles. The rogue walks straight over the drawbridge and proceeds down the other side.

Notice I never mentioned anybody killing the ogres or hill giants guarding the inside of the drawbridge or the tower entrances? That's because nobody ever did. So while the paladin is banging on the drawbridge like an extra on a Quiet Riot video they're all standing there watching the rogue start to walk down their side of the gate. Pick up boulder 'a' and connect it to rogue's head slot 'b'.

The rogue actually manages to run back up the gate and to the top but a last boulder shot sent him flying off the top of the drawbridge down to where the surviving members of the party were gathered. These included the cleric, bard, and the paladin (who has now given up trying to break down the gate after 19 tries).

The fighter was left to fend for himself when the ogres' reinforcements showed up and actually managed to kill about three of them before flinging himself over the top of the tower and hopping/limping into the woodline (2hp left).

It wasn't a total party wipe. But the mage, rogue, and their barbarian retainer died and the survivors did get ambushed while trying to rest and recover in the boat they arrived in. (the keep was on an island)

This game I almost hurt myself laughing. And it still wasnt as funny as the 2nd Assault on Strombringer Castle.
(yes, the players demanded a rematch)

Know your roll!

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

CharlieRock wrote:
I thought that name sounded familiar. Christina Stiles wrote the DCC my last campaign for D&D3.5 ended in. This was the funnest TPK I had in a long time.

If you've never played Assault on Stormbringer castle you basically have to get all S.W.A.T. team on a storm giant's keep. was on an island)

Hey, CharlieRock! I do seem to recall you posting on Goodman Games' site about your group's experience. Several characters bought the farm and had to be raised when I playtested it, too, so I can say it's a deadly adventure. The group did better on the second adventure.

The two modules have been the corner stone of my home game. Lord Griz has taken over the castle and Argalis, and he has brought the other storm-ravaged city states under his protection and into his fledgling kingdom. The power vaccuum aftermath stuff (pirates, other giants, and devils trying to take over the area) since the storm giantess' death has been great fun.
Quote:
This game I almost hurt myself laughing. And it still wasnt as funny as the 2nd Assault on Strombringer Castle.
(yes, the players demanded a rematch)

I can imagine.
I'm glad they were determined enough to go back. I hope your players now speak the name Stormbringer with great enmity and shudder when they talk about the module.

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

The following fiasco was known as the Second Assault on Stormbringer Castle:

The cast was very much the same as the first time around. Rerolled characters were of like classes with few exceptions. A paladin, a fighter, a bard, a sorceress, a wizard, a cleric, and a rogue. (six actual players , the sorceress was a retainer)

Having failed on the first attempt. A kick-in-the-door style assault. The players decided to get sneaky. The plan was that the fighter and the sorceress would teleport to a few key towers along the castle wall. After the fighter eliminates the sentry they would then teleport the rest of the team to one tower in particular that gave them a clear shot at the ogre/hill giant barracks. They would then set the barracks on fire (via fireball) and teleport to the castle gate and enter unnoticed during the confusion.

The plan along okay at first. The sentries are eliminated and the team arrives at the tower to arson the barracks from. They all line up (The wizard, sorceress, and rogue since he has a fireball wand) and shoot the barracks which (naturally) catches on fire. The ogres come rushing out. Confusion spreads.

This part of the game divurged from the plan. The team wizard and rogue were dismayed that they didnt destroy the entire barracks building. (which was hundreds of feet of stone and wood construction) so they fired again at the barracks.

Well now the ogres and hill giants all got a chance to see where the fireballs came from. So they immediately charge the tower the PCs were on. The PCs were pretty much fine with that and fired fireball after fireball into the advancing ogres.

The ogres brought ladders, ropes, and grappling hooks and tried to climb the tower while the hill giants rained boulders down on the PCs. The PCs eventually had to stop shooting fireballs and and focus on the ogres making it to the top.

After a ginormous battle the PCs were victorious. The last few surviving ogres were retreating to the castle keep. The PCs teleported to the entrance (now in front of the retreating ogres) and the wizard blasted them with one more fireball.

An awful lot of fireballs being cast here. Wouldn't you say?

The players noticed that ,too. Right about this point. When they realised they hadn't actually entered the castle but were out of spells for the day (we used a system of spontaneous casting that allowed them to trade higher level spell slots for use as a lower level spell they had already prepared)

Feeling a bit vulnerable without many spell slots left the team enters anyway. The general mood was they were ging to scout around and find a place to rest. Well, the front room area led to a fight with a few ogre mages and an evil druid. The fighter and the paladin spread out and started picking off ogre mages. The bard dropped back behind cover and started buffing the other PCs (in D&D they had spells, edit:the bard and sorceress did reserve a few spell slots. it was the wizard and cleric who were out of spells). The wizard and the rogue dove for cover behind the cleric which made a really convenient bunching up for several cone of cold spells. None of the three made it out of that.

The survivors (fighter, pally, sorceress and bard) rallied by the sorceress retainer who (wisely) had one more teleport available. They again tried to rest in their boat when they were ambushed. This time by the Storm Giantess herself (and her surviving ogre mage minions).

When I asked after the game why the PCs stayed and fought the entire ogre army at the tower (and at such expense of team resources) the wizard told me he thought that was the plan, accompanied by the rogue player nodding vigorously while the fighter player had to hide his face and leave the room.
Christina Stiles wrote:
I hope your players now speak the name Stormbringer with great enmity and shudder when they talk about the module.

Oh, they do. They think it was designed to kill them all, but they do give it a wide berth.

Know your roll!

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

Hurray! My 18 came in the mail today. I fully realize it's odd to have the managing editor like having the magazine he works on for a month come in the mail. However, it's fun to have the actual magazine in my hands. The cover is from my OF GODS & MONSTERS and it looks amazing!

Peter's map in the Troll Freebies section is nice and I think it has to be useful in lots of ways. Isn't the monster illo on page 35 way cool. I'm just putting to bed issue 19 and it is a bit late, sigh, but it is filled with fun bits.

I would urge you to get your friends to subscribe to the magazine. It isn't profitable yet and we want it to be. Yes we are working on ads from companies and yes we are doing other things to make it work, but we sure could use your help. Thanks to all who are already subscribers.

James M. Ward

Managing Editor

CRUSADER

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Still waiting.

Sundog
Red Cap

Post by Sundog »

Don't worry; it'll probably get there before the weekend, wot?
"History teaches us that men behave wisely after they've exhausted all other alternatives."

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Mine arrived. Love the cover! I have read through Mr. Kask's article so far.

I will say Steve is right, I find a rich complex religious pantheon is a great "life giver" to campaigns. Its one of the reasons I fell in love with the Wilderlands setting back in the day. Something cool when you can find a long hidden pool that is not only magical but has its own god as a protector.

I also love that Valhalla is actually located on the world of Airhde, not to mention the Sidhe Court has its own island/continent.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

OK, I read the rest. I like the "sculpting" article, personally I would not use most of the ideas within, but they are good ideas to consider nonetheless.

I liked James game review, I guess I will have to pay more attention to those banner ads. My kids have been playing similar sounding games. One is called "Bite Fight" and the other is called Gladiatus. They have been hitting me up to join, because apparently you can build guilds in these games too.

I also enjoyed Casey's ramblings about humor in his game, and I thought the cursed item was a brilliant way to deal with such players. If I am ever unfortunate enough to be cursed with such a player ever again I'll be sure to curse him in return.

Christina's article was very enjoyable too, especially since I have been on a kick gathering up "flavor enhancements" for my games, ranging from getting my hands on old Flying Buffalo products (City Streets 2, 3, and 4) and buying (what actually started this kick for me) the City Streets products from Patrick Lawingers UG company.

Which did give me an idea. I suggest you guys get hold of Patrick, or have me do it for you, and see about getting him to do up a product for Crusader. Take away his SPARK system pages, and his products number 6 pages. Perfect for a Crusader article, I would think. Since his product line is intentionally "universal", they are usable with C&C by default, as well as any other similar RPG.

If this may be of interest, James, you can go to RPGNopw and DL his free Giors Glassworks to see his work. HE also did a lot of editing and writing for Necromancer Games back when they were still actively publishing, and co wrote the Wilderlands Boxed set, CSIO, wrote the module Morrick Mansion, and other works.

So I think it would be good for Patrick to get some advertising of his work in a published format, and give a strong article presentation very similar to what Christine did.

So I hope it is something you think sounds good, and I would bet Patrick would be interested.

I also found Peters map to be of use, my Punjar game is based around the city states surrounding the large bay areas west of Outremere/New Aenochia, so that map will work for one of them.

Another solid issue with lots of good usable content and ideas.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

Treebore wrote:
I liked James game review, I guess I will have to pay more attention to those banner ads. My kids have been playing similar sounding games. One is called "Bite Fight" and the other is called Gladiatus. They have been hitting me up to join, because apparently you can build guilds in these games too.

The one I liked is Pardus. I played Dragon Tavern once.

A lot of them , like Evony, say they are free but they are just cash grabs. In Evony you build a city , right? But in order to expand you need medals which are available for purchase ($$$). And if you dont expand somebody else will find your city easily raidable.

Know your roll!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Treebore wrote:
Mine arrived. Love the cover! I have read through Mr. Kask's article so far.

I will say Steve is right, I find a rich complex religious pantheon is a great "life giver" to campaigns. Its one of the reasons I fell in love with the Wilderlands setting back in the day. Something cool when you can find a long hidden pool that is not only magical but has its own god as a protector.

I also love that Valhalla is actually located on the world of Airhde, not to mention the Sidhe Court has its own island/continent.

Still waiting but I'm not sure if I like Valhalla being located on Airhde. Sounds like crazy talk I'll have to change / ignore but I promise to read the 'angle' on this one.
M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

moriarty777 wrote:
Still waiting but I'm not sure if I like Valhalla being located on Airhde. Sounds like crazy talk I'll have to change / ignore but I promise to read the 'angle' on this one.
M

That info isn't in Crusader, its in the Folio.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Besides, just because the island is on Airhde it doesn't mean its easy to get to, or that it is actually on the island. It may just be where the gateway is located. That is not clearly spelled out in the folio. So your free to put whatever spin you wish on what is and is not there, and how you can get there.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Treebore wrote:
That info isn't in Crusader, its in the Folio.

DANG IT!

I guess I need to sit back down with the Folio and give the sucker a good read. Most of the basis for my campaign comes from the much older 'After Winter's Dark' accessory and bits and pieces from the Erde Codex!

M

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

moriarty777 wrote:
DANG IT!

I guess I need to sit back down with the Folio and give the sucker a good read. Most of the basis for my campaign comes from the much older 'After Winter's Dark' accessory and bits and pieces from the Erde Codex!

M

Yeah, if the island is mentioned in either of those I have totally missed or forgotten it.

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

moriarty777 wrote:
DANG IT!

M

That's pretty good though. The one Airhde campaign we played so far was based on A0/A1 Blacktooth Ridge modules.

Know your roll!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Though I really like the new Folio, there is something really cool about the old accessory that I love. There is enough in there to use as a springboard with a surprising amount of inspiration giving that it provides so much of a broad overview in very few pages (24 plus the text on the inside covers).

Back to the magazine though, I had to laugh a bit. I found out of Saturday night that due to a very minor oversight, mine hadn't shipped out yet. By the time all of you have read and digested the mag, I'll be only starting to dig into mine. The upside to all of this is I won't have to wait as long for my next fix!
M

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

moriarty777 wrote:
Though I really like the new Folio, there is something really cool about the old accessory that I love. There is enough in there to use as a springboard with a surprising amount of inspiration giving that it provides so much of a broad overview in very few pages (24 plus the text on the inside covers).

Back to the magazine though, I had to laugh a bit. I found out of Saturday night that due to a very minor oversight, mine hadn't shipped out yet. By the time all of you have read and digested the mag, I'll be only starting to dig into mine. The upside to all of this is I won't have to wait as long for my next fix!
M

At least I'm not the only one still waiting.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Maliki wrote:

I hope you have called the Trolls about it. Being in the US I would think you would have it by now. Especially since I am usually one of the last to get it on these boards.

Ogden
Skobbit

Post by Ogden »

I am still waiting for my copy too. I may give the Trolls a call tomorrow if it's still MIA. It will give me a good excuse to order The Heart of Glass too...wait a minute...is this a plot?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Ogden wrote:
I am still waiting for my copy too. I may give the Trolls a call tomorrow if it's still MIA. It will give me a good excuse to order The Heart of Glass too...wait a minute...is this a plot?

Yeah, I live off the beaten path in Arizona and got my issue on Tuesday or Wed. If your close to a decent sized city I would think you already would have gotten it. Then again I guess that assumes the Trolls got both in the mail on the same day.

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

My top three favorite bits was the Crab shack, the editorial on pantheons, and the map on the center pages.

Know your roll!

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

CharlieRock wrote:
My top three favorite bits was the Crab shack, the editorial on pantheons, and the map on the center pages.

Thanks, CharlieRock! You made my day. I hope the companion adventure in the next issue makes your top list, too.

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

I liked the Angry Troll , too. But I always like him.

Know your roll!

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Maliki wrote:

I fully expect my copy to be in sometime this week. In the meantime, I picked up an old copy of Dragon Magazine ... the 1999 Annual featuring 'Gygax on 25 Years of D&D Action' -- it was before 3.0. It was only 50 cents so I thought, 'why the hell not?'.

M

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

moriarty777 wrote:
I fully expect my copy to be in sometime this week. In the meantime, I picked up an old copy of Dragon Magazine ... the 1999 Annual featuring 'Gygax on 25 Years of D&D Action' -- it was before 3.0. It was only 50 cents so I thought, 'why the hell not?'.

M

Indeed. I love finds like that. I found a GURPS Conan at a comic book convention in good shape for half off cover price (less then $9).

Know your roll!

The Rusty Battle Axe

Nice

Post by The Rusty Battle Axe »

I just received #18 at the end of the week. Very nice. Particularly enjoyed (1) "Outline Your Way to Success"--I cannot imagine writing (or doing public speaking) without an outline. And...I'm really really looking forward to the Tainted Lands (drool); (2) I've already dropped Didler's Crab House onto the same island with my active player characters. I actually think I had dinner at Didler's in Maryland a few years ago; and (3) "What Should I Charge for My Work?" was simply very well-written and interesting. I'll pass it on to my son who is majoring in art and is trying to figure out the very same thing. Let me know if you have any use for ceramics in future issues of the Crusader (ha ha ha).

I'm a new subscriber (this was my first issue) and I'll be working on getting my fellow gamers to subscribe.

James M. Ward

Post by James M. Ward »

I always appreciate hearing from new subscribers and especially when they give the magazine such kind words.

I still need to keep pushing the "please subscribe" button to make us finally profitable. Right now Steve is publishing CRUSADER in the hopes that more people will subscribe. I just proofread the pages of 19 and they are great. I've sent in many articles for issue 20 to be typeset. We are still a bit behind, but every day we come closer to getting on time.

James M. Ward

Managing Editor

CRUSADER

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

Still nothing

Ogden
Skobbit

Post by Ogden »

You are not alone Maliki, didn't show up for me either. I've called and e-mailed, but still no #18.