Rock Con 11/4-11/6, 2011

Forums for Troll Con & Other Convention Discussions
Storycrafter
Mist Elf

Rock Con 11/4-11/6, 2011

Post by Storycrafter »

http://www.rock-con.com/

It's in Rockford, Illinois.

This will be my first time at this con, and it looks like it's pretty heavily focused on Warhammer 40K and other miniatures play. There are plenty of board games there, however, and it looks like they do have some RPGS (including a C&C game I'll be running throughout the weekend). Jim Ward is one of their special guests, so that's a good reason to go right there.

Willy Rat
Ungern

Re: Rock Con 11/4-11/6, 2011

Post by Willy Rat »

I've been to the Con a couple of times, running mini games for the great folks at the Last Square. Last time was about 10 years ago and we had a great time putting on a massive 25mm Samurai game. As I remember it, you're right that the Con is mostly miniature and sci-fi gaming, but it's a great venue with tons of space for gamers of all genres.

You're sure to find plenty of takers for your C&C games. I live about 12 hours away in Canada and I've always been tempted to go back to Rock-Con. The two times I did go was as a side-trip to a Chicago miniatures contests (MMSI) weekend that we normally take in during the fall. If ever the stars align again and they are held on the same weekend, you WILL find me taking in Rock-con for at least one day.

Good gaming and have fun,
Willy Rat from the frozen wastes of central Canada

Storycrafter
Mist Elf

Post by Storycrafter »

Well, that con was almost a complete waste of time. We won't ever go back, for various reasons.

The highlight was that my wife and I did find some players to run our newly hatched C&C scenario. The bad news was that we didn't get to finish in any of our sessions. We did get the chance to play some wargames, though, and I took my first turn at Chainmail (it rocked).

Mr. Ward wasn't there due to health reasons, so we were a little disappointed. Did pick up some modules and my wife painted a mini, though, besides the gaming. And to recover some of the wasted time, we found out that Noble Knight games is a stone's throw away and visited there before heading home. A nice little road trip it turned out to be after all.

miller6
Lore Drake

Post by miller6 »

Rock Con was a great convention for RPG games back in the 90's when I coordinated it with Skip Williams and Jean Rabe for the RPGA. RPGA stopped running the con after TSR moved to Seattle and the role-playing events quickly disappeared so I stopped going. I'd be willing to help bring table top RPGs (particularly C&C) back to Rock Con if enough people are intersted...

Brian
Promoting C&C at Gary Con and LGGC since 2005.

Storycrafter
Mist Elf

Post by Storycrafter »

miller6 wrote:Rock Con was a great convention for RPG games back in the 90's when I coordinated it with Skip Williams and Jean Rabe for the RPGA. RPGA stopped running the con after TSR moved to Seattle and the role-playing events quickly disappeared so I stopped going. I'd be willing to help bring table top RPGs (particularly C&C) back to Rock Con if enough people are intersted...

Brian
Personally, I wouldn't bother. It seems to be run very badly, leading to my #1 reason for never returning. There are other reasons, of course, like venue...