Mountain Feasts (Troll Con)

Forums for Troll Con & Other Convention Discussions
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Mountain Feasts (Troll Con)

Post by Relaxo »

I think the initial idea is a great deal. 3 days of meals and room for about 100 bucks?
Airfare is tougher... but that's what Troll Con East is for, right?
;)
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

magick3six
Ungern

Post by magick3six »

Christina Stiles wrote:Bring it to the southeast! I bet you could get good room rates in Myrtle Beach, SC, during that time of year!
This. All of us in the SouthEast have to travel travel travel. Closer to Florida is always a good thing :) oh and end of November would be the end of Hurricane Season. Could be a fun Hurri-Con!

-Scott

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

snowquilter wrote:Honestly, the biggest question has yet to be asked. Will the $100 ticket include all the Dr. Pepper you can drink?
Interestingly the meals came with what they called a "soda bar", we haven't discussed all the details with this particular venue, but it very well could! :lol:

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Sir Ironside wrote:As beautiful as Montreal is (I'm in love with old Montreal) if there is going to be a Canadian Troll Con I submit; Fort William Historical Park.

Yeah it isn't the middle ages, but the 1800's, but the place and atmosphere are just awesome. And it isn't in the middle of no where and it is only about a 15 minute drive for me. :D

You'd want the Bell house or East House or both! And, my boss from the DJ company is also a higher up dude at FWHP. :lol:
You know, part of the discussion with Troll Con is to make it mobile. We are talking unique? Right? Why not move it. Every year put it in some interesting locale.

And I have to tell you doing Troll Con in Fort William would be bad ass!!!

Davis looked at it and said this, "Bring me to Canada and I'll be camping before you can get off the bus!" :lol: :lol:

But, if that becomes a part of the TC legacy...the Thing...Canada could be a destination...Christina's South Carolina, etc.

Its all on the table.

Steve

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

redwullf wrote:I'd go just about anywhere, but the October/November time-frame is a very difficult time of the year for me. I'm in the benefits business, and fall is "Open Enrollment" season. Very busy time of year for me. Ironically, the only real vacation I take each year is during Thanksgiving week (November), and even more ironically it's to my Dad's house, which is just outside Little Rock.

So...unless you can swing TrollCon on the weekend immediately before or after Thanksgiving, it's a no-go for me that time of year. I will have to live vicariously through everyone's pictures and commentary. :(

I realize this has nothing to do with feedback for the right location and price, but if you're interested in getting a sense of who can and who can't make it, and what those reasons would be, then this is my response. :)
The date is a real problem for us. Summers are hard, but school years pose their own problems. We are fishing for a three day weekend...which seem to be aplenty unless you are looking for one!

Steve

CKDad
Master of the Kobold Raiders

Post by CKDad »

First, thanks Steve for a) trying to push the convention experience envelope, and b) asking for our feedback. While I'm not immediately enthusiastic about the proposed venues, I think I understand the rationale behind them, and the desire to put a unique stamp on the convention experience.

Since you've asked for our thoughts, I'm doing my best to present mine in a constructive fashion. I can't pretend to speak for anyone but myself, except perhaps where travel considerations are concerned, and I apologize if any of my earlier comments gave off a "this is stupid, all right-thinking people feel this way" vibe. That's not my intent. So I'll try to be both candid and respectful - hope I pull it off.

First: timing. Reading between the lines, I get the sense that running a summer convention has become a real problem for TLG. Message received; you need to find an alternate time.

If the convention isn't during the window running from mid-June to the next-to-last week of August, it's during the school year here. This means I'd be the only one coming from my household, since I can't pull Ben out for a gaming convention. This has started to be a factor in my con-going decisions since he's become a gamer; I'm going to prioritize conventions he can actually attend with me. (Gotta take advantage of the "Dad is still cool" sentiment while it lasts. ;) ) Doesn't mean I won't come, but I'll lean towards a con we can both attend if there's a choice.

This also means the prospect of alternate activities for my family has no value for me. That's actually true no matter the time, because if Ben does come, he'll be in gaming too.

Second, the "meals included" aspect. This is positive for me only if there's a substantial degree of flexibility about when one can eat. If it's something in the nature of "Here's a meal ticket to use at the restaurant, here's the hours" that's one thing. If it's "Dice down, dinner is now being served" and you have to eat at the set time - that considerably less appealing to me. Maybe I'm conditioned by 30 years of game conventions where flexibility rules (though meals aren't part of the ticket). But I'd want to know how that's going to work before I plunk down more money than a GenCon ticket costs.

(Sidebar - the Lodge at Geneva Ridge, where GaryCon just wrapped, did a great job with food this year. You could even order and have it brought to your gaming table! The menu was limited, and salad & healthier options were limited, but they're adding those for next year. The costs were very reasonable and things were well-prepared. They also had a snack bar down on the gaming level serving "box lunches" and a la carte items. For me, this is now the gold standard.)

Third, I really, really prefer to be in the same building as the convention. It's not just the schlepping of stuff around, it's the buzz, the atmosphere, the synergy of the like-minded people all together in one place. I like being able to hang out in the common areas until the wee hours shooting the breeze or dropping dice, and then stumbling to my room or the elevator. This makes separate buildings or cabins a lot less appealing to me.

This brings me to the setting. And I think where you & I really see this differently is that for me, I don't think this setting is going to enhance the quality of the gaming. That's driven much more by the skills of the game masters and the attitudes of the players. Once you get past the bare minimums (properly sized tables, chairs that you can actually sit in for 4-6 hours at a pop, decent acoustic conditions, some space between my group and the neighbors) I'm focused on the game and the people around me. This has been true in college cafeterias, Army barracks, classrooms, mall community rooms, an Eagles hall, and numerous hotel conference and ballrooms - all the different places I've gamed over the last 30+ years. There's no "value add" for me in gaming in a beautiful rustic setting, or in a resort-quality facility like Big Cedar. This means that I'm reluctant to pay any sort of premium to game in this kind of venue, whether that premium comes in the form of convention tickets or room fees.

I can sum up that last point in one sentence: what makes a con great, in my not-so-humble-opinion, isn't the place it's in, but the people.

That includes the organization and execution. I'd rather attend a well-planned and smoothly-run convention in a Motel 6 than a charlie foxtrot in the Mandarin Oriental.

That's my 2 CP.

And no matter where or when the next TLG-run event is, I hope it's a great success, and hope it's something I can attend.
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

Troll Lord wrote:You know, part of the discussion with Troll Con is to make it mobile. We are talking unique? Right? Why not move it. Every year put it in some interesting locale.
Long ago, the Origins convention used to move around. My first convention was Origins '82, held on the UMBC campus just outside Baltimore. It returned to Baltimore a few times; I think the most recent was in '91, which was held in the Convention Center downtown and spilled into the Sheraton Hotel and Hilton next door.

My understanding is that the peripatetic convention is no more due to economic reasons, and the growing need to get hotels to view the convention as a long-term customer. Would love to hear more from someone better-informed.

One of my wife's professional associations actually moves their annual conference around the north east every year. She's been involved in organizing and running several of these, and one piece of hard-earned advice from here I'll share: you will want to have a local arrangements person who lives in the area and is absolutely on top of things, and in regular & frequent communication with your overall organizer and whomever is handling the events program. (Her association has found that splitting those functions, local arrangements and programming, but keeping the people in regular communication, is the best way to pull these off.)
"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

A Troll Con Cruise! The crew of the original Love Boat, and the Trolls!! Maybe a steamboat on the Mississippi? Maybe a gaming con at Troll HQ? A guided tour of the Troll compound and print facility(a wood shack)? Fried chickens and Dr. Pepper on a red and white checkered cloth!!

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

tylermo wrote:A Troll Con Cruise! The crew of the original Love Boat, and the Trolls!! Maybe a steamboat on the Mississippi? Maybe a gaming con at Troll HQ? A guided tour of the Troll compound and print facility(a wood shack)? Fried chickens and Dr. Pepper on a red and white checkered cloth!!
Now this is something I could get behind. But only if I get to be Isaac the bartender. Steve would be a shoe-in for Capt. Stubing and I'd pay money to see Davis as Gopher.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Gaming cruises are AMAZING! It's hard to pull off with out a ton of advance planning, but very cool. I was on a carnival cruise a few years back where there was a Magic The Gathering tournament. They played this tourney in a seperate room on the ship called The Library. The Library was stcoked with all sorts of board games too, from the mundane (Monopoly) to fantastic (Axis & Allies)! There were 20 people playing in the MTG tourney, and though I didn't participate, it looked to be a really cool time.

Gaming cruise? I AM SO IN! Make it so.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

[quote="Troll Lord"You know, part of the discussion with Troll Con is to make it mobile. We are talking unique? Right? Why not move it. Every year put it in some interesting locale.

And I have to tell you doing Troll Con in Fort William would be bad ass!!!

Davis looked at it and said this, "Bring me to Canada and I'll be camping before you can get off the bus!" :lol: :lol:

But, if that becomes a part of the TC legacy...the Thing...Canada could be a destination...Christina's South Carolina, etc.

Its all on the table.

Steve[/quote]

While I still stand by my Montreal suggestion... I'll gladly support this destination as well! TROLL CON NORTH!! :D

M

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Gaming, throwed rolls, and southern cooking at lambert's cafe in sikeston, mo. Maybe we could rent a room off of the main restaurant?

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

What about becoming piggy-backing with a con already set up for the fall? Just throwing this out there, but MACE is being held in Charlotte, NC, in the first part of November: http://www.justusproductions.com/index. ... mace/2/2/2. It's a bigger venue for the show than the former Hickory, NC, site (and I know the con organizers). Instead of worrying about setting up the con's details, you could just submit all your events. They've already secured a con hotel price, I'm sure. November in Charlotte, NC, is not so bad.

Thoughts?

huds0n
Red Cap

Post by huds0n »

All,

I wanted to chime in on a few points that have been made in this thread concerning the annual TLG convention.

First, NO DATE HAS BEEN SET FOR TC. This includes October. We are currently in the early stages of trying to find a date that is not only conducive to our convention goers attending, but also working for the TLG schedule. We understand that summer works better for some folks as it would allow them bring family in more of a vacation capacity. However, we are not discounting any date period at this time.

Second, In discussions with Steve, Davis and Todd concerning TC, we are trying to find ways to create a convention experience that is in some ways unique from your typical gaming event. We have had several good meetings sessions with lots of ideas tossed about. One of the repeating ideas was finding a venue that created a fun and new environment from what you may be used to seeing at a gaming convention. We understand that the convention itself should always be the main focus, but at the same time, we can attempt to create something that is new and fresh in the world of gaming conventions.

Third, we understand that money for everyone is tight right now. And we are always looking for ways to keep things cost effective. Keeping convention fees as low as possible (as well as our product line) is always something that TLG takers seriously.

As convention coordinator, i welcome any and all suggestions (richard@trolllord.com) that you may have to help make our annual event fun, successful, and exciting for you and our guests.

Thank you,
Richard McBain

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

FYI gents - the email address Richard included appears to be broken - the server is rejecting a message sent to it on Tuesday.

huds0n
Red Cap

Post by huds0n »

CKDad wrote:FYI gents - the email address Richard included appears to be broken - the server is rejecting a message sent to it on Tuesday.
Problem fixed. I apparently was over my mailbox limit. Hence why your email got bounced Jon. Sorry for that. Should work fine now.

CKDad

Post by CKDad »

Not a problem! Just glad it's fixed. :)

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

I've passed the word along to Steve that MACE in Charlotte, NC, would love to have the Trolls and their kin! This is a great gaming con, and it's growing. It usually has about 450 or so gamers there, and it's moving this year to the Hilton in Charlotte, as it outgrew its former home in Hickory, NC.

Shane Hensley of Pinnacle Entertainment will be attending the con this year, and many Pinnacle members (including Clint Black and Joel Kinstle--and Matt Cutter has been there) attend this show regularly, so if you also happen to love Savage World goodness, this would be a great con to bring two loves together. The hotel is already set at $89 night for MACE.

How would that be for folks on this list if they worked something out like that?

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I have an interesting proposal for Troll Con. Accommodations could be a bit tricky, but otherwise...How about having it in Little Rock again, but maybe there could be gaming, a barbeque, and tour at the Troll Lord Compound. Didn't they used to have barbeque's and gaming at Gary's for some of the past Troll Con's or LGGC's? Just a thought. I like it. Let's rehash this old topic once more! :lol:

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I think I sort of jokingly suggested this one page back, but now I'm a bit more serious about it. :D

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Drift (sort of): any chance of a Troll Con East again? either instead of or as the TC? If it was the place in NJ from last time, I used to live near there and might actually be able to make it.
Bill D.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

No love for the Arkansas barbeque, Relaxo?

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

Post by Andred of Albans »

I like the idea if it can be done in the off-season. For me, the biggest issue in attending cons it the availability of kosher food. I don't know much about Branson, MO (except that my in-laws liked it) but if the food issue could be worked out and the cost kept under $300 pp, I'd consider it.
Visit my

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

tylermo wrote:No love for the Arkansas barbeque, Relaxo?
Oh no, I didn't say that! Just Jersey is closer.
I loves me some pig cooked with smoke and fire, believe you me.
Bill D.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Ah yes! Jersey, known for it's roasted swine!

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Troll Lord wrote:Davis looked at it and said this, "Bring me to Canada and I'll be camping before you can get off the bus!" :lol: :lol:
Reserve both buildings and one can be the gaming building and the other everything else.

There is a cantina, on site, for food (Though not a huge menu and geared towards 18th, 19th century food.) but there are plenty of restaurants close by including restaurants within hotels. They are building a hotel right next to the airport. There is, of course, a building that you can stay in at the fort, though spartan you'd be right there, in the fort.

I forget, but could find out, but I'm pretty sure that they provide a shuttle from some of the nearby hotels to the fort.

Winnipeg and Minneapolis are about a 8 hour drive to Thunder Bay and Duluth is about a 4 hour drive.

To get into Canada, customs is not as draconian as getting into the U.S. (No offense meant.) There are cheap buses that run between Minneapolis/Duluth into Canada. I have no idea what the price of a plane ticket to Thunder Bay would cost, but not being a major center I'd guess it couldn't be too expensive. Flying from Toronto is only about a hour and a half. Flying from Montreal or Ottawa is about 2 hours.

Just looking around the fort can eat up many hours as it is so large. It is the largest historical reconstruction in Canada. In school it was pretty much mandatory for the class to visit the fort. To this day, I still go back to visit as it is so cool.

There is even a stockade that you can use if Davis gets out-of-control.

Did I mention that one of the attractions is being able to paddle in a historically accurate birch bark canoe? Amongst other things.

Yeah there are tons of things to do, between breaks of gaming, that you never have to leave the fort. I don't think you can camp at the fort, unless it is the July first rendezvous, where hundreds of Voyageurs descend upon the fort from all over N.A. where there are reenactments of important events of the forts history.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

Post by Andred of Albans »

tylermo wrote:Ah yes! Jersey, known for it's roasted swine!
That's no way to talk about the honorable governor of NJ :lol:
Visit my

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Good one, Andred. :D