Gen Con 2012

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Re: Gen Con 2012

Post by Christina Stiles »

Guys, Gen Con invited me to be a 2012 Industry Insider Guest of Honor this year! See you at the show, Crusaders!

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Congratulations, Christina!
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

Wooo! Congrats, Christina!
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

This year will be my first attending Gen Con. I'm looking forward to playing in some of the C&C games being offered!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

Thanks, guys! Looking forward to meeting you. I did meet a few folks at Troll Con in 2009, but there are many more of you haven't gotten a chance to get to know.

Please say hello at the con!

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

You guys know the PDog will be there! I will be running off the grid games again this year for those who want to. Last year I nearly died of exhaustion, but much fun was had by all! So PM me if you want in a game. We had some full tables on more than one night that went into the wee AM hours, and I am sure we have more of the same coming down the pike.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

It's looking promising for me. Details to follow.

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Ok, maybe I am the one who does not fit in here. I entered two events on the grid at GenCon. The list of events has been released so everyone can start making plans and making schedules. Next week (Sunday) the events will open for sale of tickets.
Here is the sad part; my two events are the only events for Castles and Crusades. So anyone looking to give C&C a try; will be disappointed once again. Last year there was only one event, which filled up two minutes after being opened. This year it is just me doing this. I saw postings here about others entering games, but looks like that did not happen.
I understand most folks on the forum like to just kind of show up at Scotty’s Brewhouse to catch a game, but some of us cannot play with all the noise and everything else going on. Scotty’s allows us to play, but they could care less as long as the beer flows. Let me put it this way; I cannot count on getting in 6 hours of C&C gaming by simply showing up at Scotty’s with dice. That is why a group of eight of us did not show up there.
Personally, I had hoped to get some C&C gaming in at GenCon. Sad to say, but GenCon is not the place to do that. To me, it just makes sense to get some games up on the grid so people can make plans ahead of time. The material can be prepared and there is a guaranteed place to sit down where you can hear and think, and be able to play. Instead, we are treated to showing up at the Troll’s booth hoping there is a mythical list of people who are getting off-grid games going. That was not the case last year.
There has been talk of doing it this year, even talk of getting a special room somewhere just for C&C. Seriously? Why not enter several games in the events for GenCon? After all, that is what GenCon is for, and if you have enough games, sponsored by Troll Lord Games, then you might get a C&C room. Those rooms are not available because people running other games have already done so.
Another year goes by with nothing on the event schedule. C&C is such a great rules-light game that should easily outsell some of these other retro-clones and draw some away from the 3.5 rules glut. C&C for me is quickly becoming the game I DO NOT play at GenCon.
Do I sound a bit aggravated? I am.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I feel your pain Rock. I showed up at GenCon from 2005-2011 to only play in, I think, 2 on-the-grid games in those 7 years. Over that same period, there might have only been 20 official GenCon C&C games!

Personally though, I pretty much dislike running official on-the-grid games at big cons. It's a personal problem for me. I have a very hard time running games in a short, confined time slot. I'm just not that kind of CK. I have a hard time running games without a lot of atmosphere and that style of CKing gets you in trouble when it comes to time constraints. I ran an off-grid game 2 years ago that was supposed to be only 4 hours. We ended up playing more than 6 hours and some players just needed to wrap it up, B. I hurridly finished the game and I think the whole experience turned out somewhat ordinary because of the last minute rush. Earlier in the game there was a ton of roleplaying, laughing, and great gaming. I felt that the players went from having a good time to a mediocre time because of that.

Because of the nature of the people I meet at GenCon, I look forward to off-grid gaming, particularly with C&C. Honestly, I would rather game with the fine Crusaders from these message boards who "get it" and whom I only get to see once or twice per year. For me, that becomes off-grid gaming at it's finest. Sure, setting up these types of games is sometimes difficult, but when it works, it's worth it.

Another reason I don't like running games at big cons is because it feels like work. I don't know about anybody else, but I go to GenCon to relax, see old friends, make some new ones and just chill with people the type of people who enjoy what I do. That may seem harsh, but I do enough work in my real life to not feel trapped in doing more work at my vacation (GenCon).

Perhaps that is just a different philosophy. Perhaps I'm being a self-centered flumph. I do hope that C&C takes off soon and there are a dozen plus events on the agenda. It's people like you Snoring Rock that are on the front lines of this hobby and with this game. I appreciate your efforts, and certainly will raise a glass in your honor for being such a Crusader. Thank you for that.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rhone1
Skobbit

Post by Rhone1 »

Hey All. Long time lurker here...don't think I've posted anything in quite a few years. Anyway...planning on going to Gen Con this year and am going to run a C&C event (off grid, of course) and would be happy to run it a couple times if there is interest (I arrive in Indy on Tuesday). My event this year will be an all evil party adventure. Let me know if any would like to play through it.

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

Snoring Rock wrote:Ok, maybe I am the one who does not fit in here. I entered two events on the grid at GenCon. The list of events has been released so everyone can start making plans and making schedules. Next week (Sunday) the events will open for sale of tickets.
Here is the sad part; my two events are the only events for Castles and Crusades. So anyone looking to give C&C a try; will be disappointed once again. Last year there was only one event, which filled up two minutes after being opened. This year it is just me doing this. I saw postings here about others entering games, but looks like that did not happen.

Good news-- My two events just now showed up on the latest list, so that's four (and five with Jared Piper's game!). The bad news is that mine run right alongside yours... bad news for those of us who run and want to play, better news for those who are just looking for openings, I guess.

But you're totally right. Ever since I played my first game of C&C at Gen Con, I've been looking forward to getting into another, and usually, I have to ease myself into a 2E or 3.5/PF game instead, because the pickings are slim, and the off-the-grid stuff sometimes just doesn't happen. (I won't gripe so much about last year; it was fun to just hang around with some of the TLG gang) It'd be great to see a "C&C Central" place where there could be 2-4 hour 'pickup' games of C&C... I just have no clue if the price on something like that is just way too prohibitive or not.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I'd be up for running evening pick up games, but I'm not sure if I'm going yet. Got two of the expenses covered, but transportation and accommodations may be a big problem. Time will tell.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Ugh, I wish I was going this year. I expect a full report from you cats.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Narl
Mist Elf

Post by Narl »

Anyone thinking about running a Wednesday night game? If so, I'd be up for playing. I'd also be interested in late night games on other days.

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Breakdaddy wrote:Ugh, I wish I was going this year. I expect a full report from you cats.
Ditto for moi. A GenCon without me and Breakdaddy? You dudes may as well not even go, won't be the same.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

It won't be the same, indeed.

B-Diddy won't be machinegun selling C&C to the masses. BTW, one of my buddies that you sold a whole C&C collection off to last year, the one you were talking guns and shit with, now loves C&C. It took me 5+ years to even get the guy to look at a C&C book. It took you 20 mins of gabbing to sell a truck ton of books to and now he wants to play all the time.

And also, I'm now guarenteed to get the wrong change back when I purchase something from the booth because of Kim not coming to GC. God damn you Kim.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Rhone1
Skobbit

Post by Rhone1 »

I am going to run a pick up game on Wednesday night. Going for something a bit different this year as the party will be comprised of evil characters. I'll hold it wherever they have the open gaming tables (used to be at the Hyatt a few years ago) and will post here when it is definite.

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

I'd love to...but probably not this year. When I saw Breakdaddy's not going, that all but cinched it. Then I saw that Kim wasn't going, and that pushed me over the edge. :D

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Here is a heads up to the OPEN GAMING crowd at GenCon. in 2010 the Omni Severin hotel which is 500 feet rom the convention center next to the Pan Am Plaza, the Ram, Hooters, etc. had a awesome open gaming area in it's 2nd floor balcony. We played there last year from about 7pm at night until the early morning hours. I would say it had about twenty 8-person tables and as far as I saw, it was just our C&C group plus, maybe a few more groups through the entire weekend. This open gaming area was a hidden gem, and I'm certainly hoping that the Omni Severin hotel does the same this year as well. Keep an eye peeled.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Ancalagon
Ulthal

Post by Ancalagon »

Snoring Rock wrote:I am running two games on the grid. I will be running Tegel Manor on Thursday evening and again on Saturday evening. <snip>
I'll be playing in your Saturday evening game. Looking forward to meeting another member of the boards!
Imaginatio est Vita
Grand Knight Commander

Snoring Rock
Lore Drake

Post by Snoring Rock »

Dude.....so looking forward to it! I wonder how many playing Thursday will be up to a second off the grid round? I am thinking I should run the same thing off the grid Friday. It could be a continuation ...maybe.

Andred of Albans
Hlobane Orc

Post by Andred of Albans »

Not definite, but maybe - just maaaaaybe - I will be going to GenCon with my kids. If I can arrange to stay at one of the Indianapolis Chabad houses (solves both the housing and Kosher food issues) and scrape together the cash for gas and incidentals (not to mention con badges) there is a decent chance we will be there. The spousal unit will most likely sit this trip out - she's far too mundane - news on this as it happens.
Visit my

pghgamer
Henchman

Post by pghgamer »

My buddy Hans & I will be there for some Off-The-Grid gaming if said games happen. We're itchin to play and hopefully meet up with some board members here for gaming and merriment.

BTW, I can't seem to upload an Avatar yet...sigh
Work. It beats a stick in the eye, sometimes.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

pghgamer wrote:My buddy Hans & I will be there for some Off-The-Grid gaming if said games happen. We're itchin to play and hopefully meet up with some board members here for gaming and merriment.

BTW, I can't seem to upload an Avatar yet...sigh
I think you need 5 or 10 posts to be able to do that stuff.

And, BRING THE FROST!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

pghgamer
Henchman

Post by pghgamer »

I've begged. I've pleaded.. I can't get the frost to come. If I had the extra money I'd pay for him to come cos I'd love to hang with him. Hans & I play in frost's C&Crusades game big weekly
Work. It beats a stick in the eye, sometimes.

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Unfortunately I have lost about 3500 in revenue I was expecting and so GenCon has to go bye-bye for us....
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Hey guys, just checking in. Its been a while I know. First of all, Seskis dammit I was looking forward to you being there bro! That sucks. Better luck next year. It seems many of my good friends cant make it this year....so damn.

But anyway, as far as on the grid games go, Omote called it. It feels like work a lot of the time. I will be helping
Steve at the booth a bit this year running some short encounters for folks, and running a bunch of games off the grid. Grid games mean much less to me than they use to. I have a blast running games for all my gencon buds whenever and whereever...and it is a blast.

So anyone interested, let me know. I will be running games into the wee hours for those that want in a game. PM me if you are interested.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Omote wrote:It won't be the same, indeed.

B-Diddy won't be machinegun selling C&C to the masses. BTW, one of my buddies that you sold a whole C&C collection off to last year, the one you were talking guns and shit with, now loves C&C. It took me 5+ years to even get the guy to look at a C&C book. It took you 20 mins of gabbing to sell a truck ton of books to and now he wants to play all the time.

And also, I'm now guarenteed to get the wrong change back when I purchase something from the booth because of Kim not coming to GC. God damn you Kim.

~O

Hahahah dude. Srsly though, I'm so happy to have helped a new player work their way into C&C! Keep his C&C love rolling, brah!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Sir Osis of Liver wrote:I'd love to...but probably not this year. When I saw Breakdaddy's not going, that all but cinched it. Then I saw that Kim wasn't going, and that pushed me over the edge. :D
YOU ARE A WISE MAN, SIR :lol:
-Genghis Khan

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

Piperdog wrote:Hey guys, just checking in. Its been a while I know. First of all, Seskis dammit I was looking forward to you being there bro! That sucks. Better luck next year. It seems many of my good friends cant make it this year....so damn.

But anyway, as far as on the grid games go, Omote called it. It feels like work a lot of the time. I will be helping
Steve at the booth a bit this year running some short encounters for folks, and running a bunch of games off the grid. Grid games mean much less to me than they use to. I have a blast running games for all my gencon buds whenever and whereever...and it is a blast.

So anyone interested, let me know. I will be running games into the wee hours for those that want in a game. PM me if you are interested.
You are just gonna have to sack up and deploy some extra gameage, son. NO EXCUSES! You are required to run no less than six (6) on-grid and ten (10) off grid games this year. SO BONE UP ON YOUR SLEEPING NEEDS NOW, HOSS, BECAUSE GEN CON IS GAME TIME. :!:
-Genghis Khan