A Big Bang for GaryCon!

Forums for Troll Con, Gen Con and other convention discussions.
tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

A Big Bang for GaryCon!

Post by tylermo »

I haven't seen the episode, but apparently GaryCon and Gary Gygax were mentioned on the most recent episode of Big Bang Theory. Pretty cool. I thought GC would be way under their radar compared to Sandiego Comic Con and Gen Con. I guess not. Can't wait to see it. GaryCon is mentioned twice, I think.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: A Big Bang for GaryCon!

Post by Rigon »

Sheldon mentioned GaryCon twic and Gary Gygax once, according to my wife. I wasn't watching it, but she was. Which is funny, because this week we've been discussing the possiblity of me attending GaryCon this year.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

God I despise that show. Glad they gave props to Gary. Still doesn't excuse the absolute horribleness of the show, though.

/rant

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

AGNKim wrote:God I despise that show. Glad they gave props to Gary. Still doesn't excuse the absolute horribleness of the show, though.

/rant
You are dead to me now sir! :evil:

Just kidding, I'll forgive our differences on televisionary taste.
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

Don't care much for present day TV at all, but it is cool that GaryCon and Gary got a shout out on national TV.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

mmbutter
Red Cap

Post by mmbutter »

Rigon wrote:Sheldon mentioned GaryCon twic and Gary Gygax once, according to my wife. I wasn't watching it, but she was. Which is funny, because this week we've been discussing the possiblity of me attending GaryCon this year.
Pretty sure it was 3 and 2.

GaryCon was mentioned once when Sheldon made the bet with Penny, again when he "won", and a third time when he told Leonard. Gary was mentioned during the bet, and again when Sheldon told Leonard.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

Cosigned on both counts. To me, there's a world of difference between, say The Guild, or The Gamers, and stuff like The Big Bang Theory and Zero Charisma; the difference between loving and laughing with geek culture and its foibles, and just plain laughing at geek culture.

But the shout-out to Gary Con is pretty cool and unexpected.
AGNKim wrote:God I despise that show. Glad they gave props to Gary. Still doesn't excuse the absolute horribleness of the show, though.

/rant

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

When BBT first came on the air, I was like, "no, this is not going to respect my people" and I wouldn't watch it.
Somehow along the way, I started seeing reruns and laughing every time I watched. then Wil Wheaton was on and I was like, "ok, this can't be bad for us geeks."

recently I saw a vid: I think it was on Angry Geek .com or something, and while ranty, the guy pointed out just what Jrydan said, taht the geek main characters are the punchline, not making the punchlines. I started reevaluating the show and I find I agree with that, and I'm back in the anti BBT camp. Which is a bummer. then I wonder if I'm being uptight, maybe it's just these characters are the way they are, I mean Leonard seems pretty normal. but no, I don't think I am. and I might be overly sensitive, but aren't some of the jokes at Raj's expense pretty ... something? Ethnocentrist? ('racist' isn't quite right, but it's the word most of the public would use) ((you know what I mean)) maybe not. I mean comedy is edgy.

That said, Yay Gary Shout out! I'm sure they'll do a Leonard Nimoy tribute of some kind.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Relaxo wrote:then I wonder if I'm being uptight
A little bit. ;)
Relaxo wrote:I'm sure they'll do a Leonard Nimoy tribute of some kind.
Well, Sheldon has Leonard Nimoy's DNA. I can only assume he will try to clone him in some sort of Star Trek III homage.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

thenorthman
Hlobane Orc

Post by thenorthman »

I find that I love the show myself.....

With most of the little things they mention and laugh at because....I have found myself in those positions...

Like hitting F5 to refresh to get into a convention I really want to go to......which is just one that comes to mind....knowing a lot of other items too just can't think of.

You need to be able to laugh at yourself....taking away any ammo when other do.