Con-on-the-Cob 2010 [Oct 14-17, Hudson Ohio]

Forums for Troll Con & Other Convention Discussions
Omote
Battle Stag

Con-on-the-Cob 2010 [Oct 14-17, Hudson Ohio]

Post by Omote »

Alright, it might be a bit early to post this one, but since this con has already been mentioned in a thread or two, I thought it might be prudent to get a new thread going.

Here's the quick and dirty info on this awesome convention:
CON-ON-THE-COB
October 14 - 17, 2010

Clarion Hotel & Conference Center

240 E. Hines HIlls Road

Hudson, Ohio 44236
www.cononthecob.com
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Last year there was a great turnout, and lots of Crusaders were there too. There were two or three C&C games being run, and I'm pretty sure that number is going to increase at this year's con.

Other than C&C there was a ton of other games being run. The gaming hall was packed! The dealer's room was small, but surprisingly packed with a lot of good gaming swag. The art show was stellar for a small con. There were lots of great artists (Larry Elmore, Jason Braun, Brian "Glad" Thomas, Andy Hopp, to name just a few).

There was some cosplay, anime and LARP too. All good things.

Parties? Do you like freaks and geeks parties? Well Con-on-the-Cob has you covered here. There are lots of great parties at this con for every taste, including the always stellar Barfleet flagship U.B.S. Casual.

As some of us were talking last year, Troll Lord Games might never be able to get a Troll Con East off the ground, but with the number of Crusaders who turned out for this convention, we could piggy-back off this con as the unofficial Troll Con East!

Con-on-the-Cob is still a relatively small con. But every year seems to get bigger and better. IMO Con-on-the-Cob is ready to bust out. Everybody should try to make it while this con is still a small, friendly gathering of like minded people.

Hope to see you there!

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I plain on returning to this shindig. I had a great time last year.

R-

Edit: And I think making CotC TrollCon East is an excellent idea.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I certainly want to make it back, it was the most fun Con I have ever been to, and that is including two Gen Cons!

Having so many TLG buddies there certainly helped!

However, if I make it this year I will only be staying Friday and Saturday nights. I felt Thursday was pretty much a waste. Sunday definitely is as well, Totally just a say "Good bye!" day.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

CotC is my annual "must attend" convention, for all of the reasons covered above. I know that Glad feels the same way and, as has been covered in another thread, Andy "ATOM" Taylor has decided to shift his inaugural American excursion to facilitate attending Con on the Cob rather than Gen Con. It really is more gaming bang for your buck.

I will definitely be there again this year, and look forwarding to seeing all my old friends, and hopefully some new ones as well!

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Treebore wrote:
I certainly want to make it back, it was the most fun Con I have ever been to, and that is including two Gen Cons!

Having so many TLG buddies there certainly helped!

However, if I make it this year I will only be staying Friday and Saturday nights. I felt Thursday was pretty much a waste. Sunday definitely is as well, Totally just a say "Good bye!" day.

Treebore, perhaps you may change your mind in the next 9 months or so. If we can get more C&C going, or some other great games, maybe it would be worth the extra day or two. Think of it this way, you learn how a con works the first time there. The 2nd time you can modify your experience to be more accomidating. It seems like it would be a waste to fly up from AZ on friday, and then fly back home on Saturday, at least IMO. Let's work hard to get more stuff for you (and everybody) to do on those other nights.

It's going to be great for Andy Taylor to make it up there. I hope I get the opportunity to hang and party with EVERYBODY at Three-Headed Troll Art Wurks. It's time to make that magic happen one more time.
~O
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

No, I will be staying Friday and Saturday nights, so I will arrive as early as possible on Friday, then leave Sunday.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

The hours are short on Thursday, and there's the whole opening ceremony rigamarole. But they do have gaming scheduled that night. It's also a great night for parties, including the infamous Drink n' Draw. Even if you're not a big drinker or drawer, that's a great opportunity to rub elbows with the guests of honor in a very fun and casual setting. Then again, CotC is fun and casual by definition.

Last year, we had to explain to Larry Elmore what a Liger was.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

jaybird216 wrote:
Last year, we had to explain to Larry Elmore what a Liger was.
From the Quiz Show Q.I. wrote:
Stephen Fry: If a Lion mates with a Tiger, you get a...?

Alan Davies: Scandal!

Homer Simpson

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

My plan is the same as last year. Leave after work on Thursday and drive over to the Con and stay until some time Sunday.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

I plan on being there this year. I missed last year... had to cancel my plans after they were all set. So... I really want to go this year. I'm interested in playing some C&C with all you good folks... and this will be the first con that I take my sons to... so we're all excited about it.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

It's, without question, my one and only "won't miss" thing to do on my annual schedule.

The first year for me (2008) was great and last year's was even better. Rigon's C&C game was good fun and as it was my first time playing C&C, I'm looking forward to playing it again at this year's CotC.

*Now if we could only get Jim Holloway to get his tail up there, even incognito, that would be the icing on the cake.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

I've heard good things about this con, and I have a friend who regularly attends. I'm thinking about it...

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Christina Stiles wrote:
I've heard good things about this con, and I have a friend who regularly attends. I'm thinking about it...

IF gaming all day and partying all night appeals to you, definitely go! Or you could just game all day and night, whichever appeals to you most.

Personally I rate this Con over Gen Con. Much more like a huge family gathering.

Christina Stiles
Ulthal

Post by Christina Stiles »

Treebore wrote:
IF gaming all day and partying all night appeals to you, definitely go! Or you could just game all day and night, whichever appeals to you most.

Personally I rate this Con over Gen Con. Much more like a huge family gathering.

I'm not much into partying, but yes on gaming. I understand a lot of the Savages go to this con. They were talking about it at MACE. My friend goes for the Savage Worlds games.

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Christina Stiles wrote:
I'm not much into partying, but yes on gaming. I understand a lot of the Savages go to this con. They were talking about it at MACE. My friend goes for the Savage Worlds games.

Yeah, that is the other thing I liked about this Con, a nice fair mix of RPG's and Board Games. So not only was there 4E, 3E, Pathfinder, but also C&C, Savage Worlds, Geist, Shadowrun, and others.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I'm hoping Serl and his Mrs make it agian next year and they brake out the big box of goodies. That Warhammer Quest game effing rocked!

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

If you stick close to Glad and I, a little partying happens during the day as well! Having the Irishman there will only make it worse

Aside from gaming and partying, though, there are panels, demonstrations, contests, movies, art, musicians, comedians, LARPs... Pretty much any RPG related activity you could ask for.

Christina, there is definitely a huge SW presence. I'd probably have to say that it's the best-represented system at Con on the Cob.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

There's been a lot of CotC talk in other threads, so I'll just bump this a little here. Just in case anybody needs it.
~O
VAE VICTUS!

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

I am hoping to make it this year. We'll see.....

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Piperdog wrote:
I am hoping to make it this year. We'll see.....

You won't regret making it, but life will absolutely suck if you fail to make it.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:
You won't regret making it, but life will absolutely suck if you fail to make it.

True story.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Wow. Treeb really turned it into a black or white thing. Kinda harsh actually, but I think I know what he's saying. Hopefully you can find the opportunity to make it out to this little convention. If not, life probably wont suck, but you may get a jab or two from the folks of these boards who do attend.
~O
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Omote wrote:
Wow. Treeb really turned it into a black or white thing. Kinda harsh actually, but I think I know what he's saying. Hopefully you can find the opportunity to make it out to this little convention. If not, live probably wont suck, but you may get a jab or two from the folks of these boards who do attend.
~O

Hey, its the most fun convention I have ever been too, but I have to admit it was the people, not the convention itself, that made it as awesome as it was.

When you spend several days laughing as much as I did, and gaming as much as I did, and having numerous good conversations like I did, you make it your defacto highest standard of fun.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Now imagine if we can only get Treeb to one of the various con parties. Talk about a good time, bruh! This year, if there is going to be at least as much C&C as there was at the con last year, and as many TLG MB friends, I'm going to make it a whole dang weekend (which will be Thursday through Sunday...).

That also makes me think that as a group should coordinate our various games here before signing up for them at CotC.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Omote wrote:
Now imagine if we can only get Treeb to one of the various con parties. Talk about a good time, bruh! This year, if there is going to be at least as much C&C as there was at the con last year, and as many TLG MB friends, I'm going to make it a whole dang weekend (which will be Thursday through Sunday...).

That also makes me think that as a group should coordinate our various games here before signing up for them at CotC.

~O

The main reason for signing up is to make sure you have a table. If I do end up going I'll register a lot of games to make sure we have tables. (I may not go because my wife's Dad died, and its looking like it will cause us some serious financial problems.)

If not, one of you guys make sure tables are reserved.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I know I'm gonna be running at least one game. So, O has to run at least one game and I think Jay should run one too. That would be a hella fun game.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

It's a possibility.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

jaybird216 wrote:
It's a possibility.

Kickarse!

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

We are definitely considering this, but with the new puppy, we're not sure how feasible... and, I will not have her put into a kennel (I hate seeing puppies in cages; breaks my heart.) Hershey will be older by then, so that would make her more manageable, but we don't really know anyone local who could watch her... and we're pretty sure we can't bring her to the con.