View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Elmore's Women 
Lore Drake

Post Elmore's Women
I was watching Columbo (1975) last night and Lesley Ann Warren was on. I kept thinking, wow, she looks exactly like many of the wide-eyed women Larry Elmore draws. I've thought the same thing about Beverly D'Angelo. I wonder if that's the idea, or just a resemblance to one of his models, or what.

Thu May 17, 2012 4:09 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: Elmore's Women
Never thought about it before, but Beverly D'Angelo...I can see it.

Thu May 17, 2012 4:16 pm
Beer Giant Jarl

Good call. Those women definitely have the Elmore look.

The Dungeoneering Dad

Thu May 17, 2012 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

no pics?
:-)

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Fri May 18, 2012 1:25 am
Maukling

Actually, in one of his older art books, he explains this. At one time, Larry had this weird urge stuck in his head that he needed to do the eyes bigger on his women folk. Easley, Caldwell and Parkinson kept poking fun at him for it, because they knew it looked wrong. But Larry insisted it was right. But one day his brain just kinda clicked back into reality, and suddenly he realized he was surrounded by walls of pictures of bug eyed women. You'll see it in his older work. His new stuff, not so much. 8-)

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

gideon_thorne wrote:
Actually, in one of his older art books, he explains this. At one time, Larry had this weird urge stuck in his head that he needed to do the eyes bigger on his women folk. Easley, Caldwell and Parkinson kept poking fun at him for it, because they knew it looked wrong. But Larry insisted it was right ...

"People in all five cultures were attracted to similar geometric proportions in the face. They liked female faces with small lower faces (delicate jaws and relatively small chins) and eyes that were large in relation to the length of the face. ... Males in all cultures were attracted to female faces displaying large eyes, small noses, high cheekbones, small chin and a large smile" http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/002139.html

He was correct.

House Rules

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:10 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Arduin wrote:

"People in all five cultures were attracted to similar geometric proportions in the face. They liked female faces with small lower faces (delicate jaws and relatively small chins) and eyes that were large in relation to the length of the face. ... Males in all cultures were attracted to female faces displaying large eyes, small noses, high cheekbones, small chin and a large smile" http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/002139.html

He was correct.

This why is eyeliner is hot, it makes the eyes look larger.
It's interesting that men find females with a small jaw attractive ... and women find the "lantern" jaw attractive. They're (obviously) opposites, but serve as a quick shorthand (is there another kind of shorthand?) to differentiate the genders.

A quick wikipedia search on testosterone shows the effect on the male during puberty:"Growth of jaw, brow, chin, nose, and remodeling of facial bone contours" (emphasis added)

Also, a beard make the jaw look larger. No coincidence, then, that the ability to grow a beard has become bred into the human. Beards also serve to quickly identify the virile from not yet fertile or past their peak males (no beard, dark beard, gray beard).

We're just mammals.
More to the point, Elmore and Bradley can really paint a woman! :D

Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:40 am
Greater Lore Drake

Relaxo wrote:
This why is eyeliner is hot, it makes the eyes look larger.
It's interesting that men find females with a small jaw attractive ... and women find the "lantern" jaw attractive. They're (obviously) opposites, but serve as a quick shorthand (is there another kind of shorthand?) to differentiate the genders.

It's not really a short hand way to differentiate genders (the differences between the two are all too obvious ;) ). It is a way to pick genetically superior breeding partners. Over the millennia it gets hardwired. Same thing in most other animals. There are outward traits or demonstration of abilities that get looked for.

House Rules

Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:13 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Arduin wrote:
the differences between the two are all too obvious ;)

Point taken!
That's really what I meant, but hadn't had my coffee yet or my editor nearby, :lol:

Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:06 am
Greater Lore Drake

Relaxo wrote:
Arduin wrote:
the differences between the two are all too obvious ;)

Point taken!
That's really what I meant, but hadn't had my coffee yet or my editor nearby, :lol:

The misstatement WAS funny. :)

House Rules

Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]