Layout - Preferences

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
serleran
Mogrl

Layout - Preferences

Post by serleran »

So, for monster books, do you all like one page per monster (not possible for some, mind you) or do you like the multi-monster per page format? Should every monster have a picture (if possible or relevant) or is it ok to skip a few here and there and leave it to the CKs imagination?

I'm putting this here because the forum is supposed to be about discussion... as well as displaying.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Amount of page space is of no concern to me as long as all the needed/informative information is included. I also happen to like a bit more fluff as a way to vary encounters with creatures. But that is just me.

As for pictures, yeah, I always think it's a good idea to have some sort of visual reference, next to a detailed description. I know this is often hard for monster books, but it does sure make for a more presentable project.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Jungger

Post by Jungger »

I am pretty happy with the way the first AD&D MM was done. I don't really see a point in pictures of common animals (unless the other drawings are done) but certainly would like pictures of most if not all the monsters.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I prefer illustrations, unless its a animal in the real world. I can live without them if the description is good.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Yes, I'd like to see a pic/drawing for every monster. Not necessarily the common earthly types, but wouldn't be against it, if it were done.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

papercut
Red Cap

Post by papercut »

Ditto on the pictures of monsters!

I really like the 2e style of one page per monster, and extra fluff. But for playing on the fly (which I always do), the 4e style of bullet point data is also useful. Maybe my ideal book would have half page entries (with art) and crunch in points and fluff in text.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Pics would be nice, but aren't nessacary if there is a really good description to go from.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

For me, pics are necessary, unless it's something like: Common Bat.

And I loath beyond words a 'one monster per page' format.

It's too much like those rip-off 2nd ed. D&D compendium jobs.

Just keep going with what works IMO, like the 1st M&T.